Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is WV the only state left without cases, as of today?
Yep...and this.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WHSV/WSAZ/AP) — West Virginia Governor Jim Justice has announced that all schools across the state will be closed starting this coming Monday as a response to the novel coronavirus pandemic.

In a press conference Friday morning, Justice said the state still doesn't have any confirmed cases of COVID-19, but said he's made the tough decision to close schools across the state.

While there have been no confirmed positive tests, Justice acknowledged that the reality is that there are likely cases in the state that haven't been tested.

“We know it’s here," Justice said, "Let’s be real. We just haven’t found it, but it’s got to be here.”

West Virginia governor announces plan to close all schools across the state

So is this here forever, is this our new way of life?
From same link:

World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom recently commented that “We need to remember that with decisive, early action, we can slow down the virus and prevent infections.” We’re not going to stamp out COVID-19. But by not just throwing up our hands and giving up, people can help address the crisis early, preventing COVID-19 from overwhelming the health care system’s capacity to respond effectively.
Rachel Maddow just interviewed Dr. David Ho, from Columbia University, who was the man who basically made the breakthrough during the HIV epidemic, and stopped the death rate with that.. He's currently working on a treatment for CV, something to help people survive the disease. This is important for the "now" as a vaccine is pretty far in the future to help this current crisis.

He talked about the enzymes the virus needs to replicate itself and create progenies in the body, which make the host victim sicker and sicker. By stopping the ability of the virus to do so, it will be killed off and patient will not get as sick.

It sounded promising to me, and after the interview was over, Rachel told him to "get back to work."

I seriously am wondering who will be watching these kids? Both parents and single parents work. Can’t send them to the grandparents...and no one I know can miss work for very long, and some not at all. 14 days of quarantine is not going to happen for the majority either : have to get paid and keep their job. If they run out of food in the house, folks are going to shop

Disney World, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld and LEGOLAND closing over coronavirus

Disney World, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld and LEGOLAND closing over coronavirus

All public schools in Florida to close for two weeks, what that means for Manatee and Sarasota counties

All public schools in Florida to close for two weeks, what that means for Manatee and Sarasota counties

Sarasota County Fair among major events canceled, Van Wezel rescheduling performances, see more here

Sarasota County Fair among major events canceled, Van Wezel rescheduling performances, see more here

Nathan Benderson Park cancels scheduled events; Sarasota County Fair is cancelled too

The other event at NBP canceled is the U.S. Olympic Rowing Trials. It was scheduled for next weekend, March 21-22.

Nathan Benderson Park cancels scheduled events; Sarasota County Fair is cancelled too

Pretty much most of the state of Florida is closing for at least two weeks.

At work today we had the "work at home" discussion option and our in-office staff is very small - only 6 people - everyone else is remote (mostly the editors) so I may be working from home at least for a week.

On the plus side, most of the preserves are still open for hiking, bicycling, kayaking down the Myakka River.

There's also reading and napping (my favorite).

And of course housecleaning. :eek:

Yes. In fact, I read it again as an adult during a long hard winter of blizzards, and I recommend that everyone reads it again as an adult.

Edited to remove previous post

now I want to download it
can't recall if I've ever read it
but thanks to both of you for the recommendation @beatrixpotter

Last edited:
I can’t believe it. I had to go to the garage for something. In looking for it I saw a bag of face masks...hhmmmm.
Could it be? Yes!!!!!...an unopened bag of 20 N95s...
Wooohoooo

Score! I cleaned out a drawer in my bathroom vanity today and found a pocket sized bottle of hand sanitizer. I yelled, "Yes!" so loud you would have thought I won the lottery. LOL. Sometimes, it's the little victories that keep us going. :D:cool:

The daughter of the first patient in the Houston region to test positive for the COVID-19 virus is speaking out to make people aware that the virus is a serious matter.

The woman, who did not want to be identified, spoke to us over the phone Thursday evening from her home in Austin. Her father and mother were among the group of travelers who were on the cruise in Egypt. The woman says her parents, like many active seniors, frequently went on vacation with their friends.

In this case, the couple, who live in Fort Bend County, went on the Egyptian cruise and returned Feb. 20.

"I call my mom every Wednesday," said the woman. "I called her after they returned and she said that dad wasn't feeling well, and we just thought he had a cold."

On March 4, the woman made her weekly phone call to her mother, and that's when she learned her father had been admitted to the hospital. The woman says she wishes her mother would have called her earlier, but mom apparently didn't want to worry her daughter.

Since then, the woman says her father's condition is stable at the local hospital. Her mother is quarantined in her home.

"She has two refrigerators full of food," said the woman, assuring us that her mother is feeling fine.

The woman has spoken to her father a few times, but since he is isolated, communications are a bit challenging.

"We are hoping he recovers soon," she said. "But it will be a long road."

ABC13 is not identifying the hospital he is at, nor are we giving out additional information about the family.

The woman wanted to emphasize that her main reason for speaking out is to remind everyone that the novel coronavirus is serious and that people should not think of it as overhyped.

"People can get it, and they can get very sick," she said, adding the whole experience has been "surreal."

Daughter of Fort Bend Co. coronavirus patient warns about seriousness of illness | abc13.com

The other event at NBP canceled is the U.S. Olympic Rowing Trials. It was scheduled for next weekend, March 21-22.

Pretty much most of the state of Florida is closing for at least two weeks.

At work today we had the "work at home" discussion option and our in-office staff is very small - only 6 people - everyone else is remote (mostly the editors) so I may be working from home at least for a week.

On the plus side, most of the preserves are still open for hiking, bicycling, kayaking down the Myakka River.

There's also reading and napping (my favorite).

And of course housecleaning. :eek:

And fishing!!

So is WV the only state left without cases, as of today?
Because my uncle is a retired WV Catholic priest who is really good at prayer??? LOL! Just being silly. No offense to anyone. My uncle is awesome. I told him to pray for my A/C because I can’t afford to replace it. That was in Nov. it’s still working, barely.

I seriously am wondering who will be watching these kids? Both parents and single parents work. Can’t send them to the grandparents...and no one I know can miss work for very long, and some not at all. 14 days of quarantine is not going to happen for the majority either : have to get paid and keep their job. If they run out of food in the house, folks are going to shop

where I live a lot of teenagers and teachers off work have offered their services

Last edited:
Because my uncle is a retired WV Catholic priest who is really good at prayer??? LOL! Just being silly. No offense to anyone. My uncle is awesome. I told him to pray for my A/C because I can’t afford to replace it. That was in Nov. it’s still working, barely.

You're near me, aren't you. How've you made it through this warmer-than-normal winter season without A/C? I've been down here for 11.5 years now and this has been the warmest winter I can remember since moving here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli