Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it.

Except for children can have the virus and make older people sick....

Dang this sucks :(

Well, I am his grandma and one of the oldest people he has contact with. I work with 5 people, so hopefully the kid won't kill us all with nasty germs. I think it is illegal to leave kids home alone. So.. no choice the way I see it.

Lysoled the h$ll out of the lab when I got back. Everything the calibration guy potentially touched, door handles, lights, equipment. Realized with all my prepping, I didn’t prep the lab and only had 6 rolls of toilet paper..doh. As the manager I’m in charge of all supplies. Checked my suppliers and they are out and now they are limiting glove purchases to those who have purchased before and how many you can buy. Got what I could. Send DH down to local small hardware store and they still had TP but no Lysol for work. Odoban says it kills 99.9% of germs so we’ll have to use that. Not using anymore of my home Lysol.

Future daughter in law has a cough so they have opted out of tomorrow’s dinner. She works in an office with about 300 other people so they can stay over there now for the next 2 weeks at least. Hope they heeded my advice on the stocking up.

Speaking of stocking up, DH decided he wanted grilled steak fajitas for dinner and I should swing by grocery for limes and queso fresco. OMG it was insane. This is a small store on my way home that’s never busy. They were out of fresh limes and his brand of queso fresco. Produce was picked over, toilet paper was out, people were buying paper towels instead, water gone, sandwich meat gone, most of the meat gone, frozen food picked over, Swiss rolls and such were mostly gone. I couldn’t even get the things I figured I would be able to buy. It was insanely busy for the small store, no one was coughing or sneezing that I heard. I had to walk through to see how bad it was, Hope I don’t regret that. Hand sanitizer as soon as I hit the car.

Let the neighbors know today if they need bread, just ask. I can get them a loaf in about 3 hours. Will check on little old (90+) lady across the street tomorrow, she doesn’t need to be going out and as long as I don’t have a temp, I’ll keep her in mind. Contemplating making a cheese cake or flourless chocolate cake this weekend and sticking it freezer to have on hand to share.

I keep thinking “This is it people, this is what we have been preparing for“, remember your neighbors especially the elderly, share what you can and remain optimistic.

there are people begging. You don’t get paid when laid off, and in many places in right to work states, they’ll fire you to not pay unemployment. No one I know has a month of paid sick leave. You can’t work from home for many jobs. I work from home every day. I earned that. We deal with credit cards and personal info. My company simply does not have anywhere near enough virtual based equipment to send our 8400 office workers home to work either . My system is dramatically different than the buildings too: there is training involved.

I know. Looks like a lot of kids will just be hanging out at home, alone. I was lucky to have a very wonderful, and responsible daughter. By age 12, she could easily handle her younger siblings.

The government didn't close down daycare. That would be problematic. That is where germs just go to spread everywhere. Kids chewing on toys...

These are good questions asked on Twitter but with no serious responses. Would be good to know....

Questions for my Doctor friends: If you get Corona (or Flu - is it different?) Is it better to use over the counter symptom relieve products or not?
1. NSAIDS or acetaminophen, or fever?
2. cough suppressants?
3. Mucus thinners

Is one choice better than the other?

Attachments

• VoKBM_number_of_confirmed_coronavirus_cases_by_days_since_100th_case.jpeg
    VoKBM_number_of_confirmed_coronavirus_cases_by_days_since_100th_case.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 16
Well, I am his grandma and one of the oldest people he has contact with. I work with 5 people, so hopefully the kid won't kill us all with nasty germs. I think it is illegal to leave kids home alone. So.. no choice the way I see it.
You’re lucky your boss will allow you to bring children to work. Some won’t, especially with children known to carry/transmit the virus. Good luck.

Which defeats sheltering at home. Most teachers have to work via online teaching. It’s a simply a cluster.

At least it brings the kids into contact with fewer people each day though. Being in a group of six kids with a babysitter/childminder means that if one comes down with it they're only in a room with 5 other kids instead of fifteen other kids, and then a hundred other kids in the school's dining room.

Yes. In fact, I read it again as an adult during a long hard winter of blizzards, and I recommend that everyone read it again as an adult.

Edited to remove previous post

I've read it a couple of times over the years to my kids. Last year I read them Fever 1793 and they were all enthralled. It's about the yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia. Intense, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as an adult. And it wasn't too intense for my kids. Part of the reason I gave it a chance was the massive positive reviews from adults about the book on Amazon. All of my kids enjoyed it as well. Not just me. lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0689838581/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WASHINGTON

An employee who works in a Washington State prison tested positive for the coronavirus, a spokeswoman for the state prison system said on Friday, in what appeared to be the first reported case of the virus in a person tied to a prison.

The employee last worked at theMonroe Correctional Complex, about 45 minutes from Seattle, on Sunday, and the test came back positive on Thursday. A day earlier, Brad Burkhart, the sheriff in Hancock County, Indiana, said a staff member at the local jail had tested positive for the virus and was quarantining at home, as are two other staff members who had contact with the employee.

Coronavirus Live Updates: Pelosi and Trump Reach Deal on a Relief Bill

It's getting pretty intense here. I'm in NY state; about 3 hrs away from New Rochelle. My son called to warn me he might not see me for a couple weeks. A well aimed, unprotected sneeze from a possible covid-19 case landed on him during a call. (He's a firefighter/EMT.) However, the test was negative. Talk about my heart skipping a beat. We are in the throes of social distancing in our county. Our colleges are going to online course work and closing campuses, public events have all been postponed, including the parade for St. Patrick's Day. Our neighbor county Tompkins, which is the home of Cornell has been doing quite a bit of testing and so far we've heard nothing about those tests. Our other neighboring county, Broome, has a positive in Binghamton. That's less than an hour away. Hard to say what will develop in the days to come. I've put word out that if it gets overloaded I'll step up to help in the hospital I retired from, or where ever my skills can be used. Last thing we need is a shortage of hands in the healthcare settings. We are struggling to get the tests here, but more labs are opening up, and hopefully we'll be testing by next week.

Did any of us ever think there would be a thread such as this? That we wouldn't have access to TP or hand bac? That our young folk have to be (hopefully) mindful of their senior loved ones?

It's surreal. I've been preparing for it and playing out all these scenarios in my head. But I frequently reassured myself it would surely never come to this. It makes me afraid for the future and what's still in store. It looks like it can only get worse. Our best bet is to simply stay in our homes (Or yards. I plan to garden). So many things have happened already. I'm afraid of losing those I love. :(

March 13 (Reuters) - The Associated Press is temporarily closing its office from Friday in Washington, D.C. after one of its staff journalists, who had direct contact with a possible coronavirus patient, showed some symptoms of illness, the AP reported.

Reuters: The staffer was one of hundreds of journalists at a journalism convention last week in New Orleans where an attendee later tested positive for the coronavirus, the news agency said in a news report.

Vincent Lee on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members