Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how much sanitizer a person actually needs? I have never bought any, as I use soap & water, or wipes. I have used sanitizer from a public station before.
One more article with a little more info on our first case. I was in Charlottetown today, and Shoppers Drug Mart was completely out of toilet paper, but Sobeys had a few packs left. No sanitizer to be found. The stores were very empty for a Saturday afternoon. The mood was very eerie, and that was before this announcement.

P.E.I.'s Chief Public Health Officer confirms first positive case of COVID-19 on the Island | The Guardian

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/co...-mask-hand-washing-sanitizer-gloves-1.5496659
''Old-fashioned soap and water may be your best protection during the pandemic

Microbiologist Keith Warriner said, if you're using a hand sanitizer, it must contain at least 60 per cent alcohol — the ingredient that kills the virus.

"If you haven't got enough [alcohol] in there, it doesn't do anything. It has basically dried the virus onto your hand," said Warriner, a professor at the University of Guelph.

Even if your sanitizer has the right ingredients, Warriner still believes washing with soap provides the best protection because it not only kills the virus, it also washes it away.

"You're actually physically removing it."

"The thing that really takes our immune system down is being dehydrated, being stressed, lack of sleep."

''There have been reports across the globe that people are also stockpiling toilet paper. While the product is a staple of daily hygiene, it won't help ward off the coronavirus.

Instead, the run on toilet paper is likely caused by panic buying which has caught on with many shoppers. ''

Warriner said people think "if someone's buying it, then I have to buy it."

He also wonders whether some people may be confusing the coronavirus with the norovirus — a different virus which causes diarrhea.''

Wonder how much sanitizer a person actually needs? I have never bought any, as I use soap & water, or wipes. I have used sanitizer from a public station before.

That's been the strangest part...there was so much hand soap in every single store I went to. Are people not washing their hands and just relying on sanitizer? I have a few little bottles in my car and my purse, but I only use them when I can't get to a sink.

Government advises against non-essential travel to six European countries

THE IRISH GOVERNMENT is now advising against non-essential travel to the Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Malta, Poland and Slovakia.

Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney made the announcement this afternoon.

It comes after a blanket warning for a high degree of caution was applied across Europe as the Government attempts to contain the spread of coronavirus in Ireland.

In a statement this afternoon, Coveney said the Department of Foreign Affairs will also be providing additional guidance on Spain, which remains at non-essential travel, while Italy remains at no travel.

He added that the consular advice line will be open through the weekend and that “our embassies and consulates will be using social media to keep citizens informed on a rapidly changing environment for international travel.”

I am permanently attached to my can of Lysol Wipes. :)

ive just found my love of these this week. Always kind of eye rolled the price of convenience. Until this week or so. I don’t have a stash so I’m going to start making my own I think if I can find those supplies at this point.( The shopping crisis hit our area Thursday night)

and don’t get me started on swiffering. Another generation or two and operating a real broom or gasp a mop is going to be a lost art

So here is the problem:

The need a Screening station: How do they identify the person? Brief interview about symptoms. Determine who appears to be showing symptoms? Take a temp, etc. Do they check insurance?

Then they need to do a rapid Influenza test and a rapid Strept test. So how long does someone in the car wait for those tests to be resulted? Where do they wait? Do they have to stay in the vehicle? What medical professional is responsible for each and every one of those test results?

Then based on the results, if Influenza & Strep negative, get Re-Swabbed for the SARS-CoV-3 test.

So how do they prevent repeat shoppers from overutilizing the resources? How do they deal with a family with multiple children?

This seems to be set for all sorts of trouble

I don’t know how they identify. Maybe someone in other states can explain what criteria is needed, social security number? Drivers license?

As far as receiving results, when this testing was issued in South Korea, I believe, results were sent to the person by text when the results are known, in the US this could take days or even a week.

As far as medical professionals, look at the pictures from Colorado, the note taking and tests appear to be young nurses.

Last edited:
There’s usually a “keep wet” time frame for effectiveness
Yes, imo, wiping removes it immediately.

Are people not washing their hands and just relying on sanitizer?
I hope not, what a bad practice....imo, of course. Or maybe people think sanitized hands prevents them from getting g a respiratory virus?
Matters none how clean my hands are if John Doe sprays me with his snot particles.

That's been the strangest part...there was so much hand soap in every single store I went to. Are people not washing their hands and just relying on sanitizer? I have a few little bottles in my car and my purse, but I only use them when I can't get to a sink.
I encountered the same thing. I went to get some extra soap for bathroom, kitchen, and for laundry, and there was PLENTY of soap.

No sanitzer.

I think people are fixated on sanitizer.

jmo

NPR just reported that the government is currently debating increasing food stamps for families who are in need, to decrease the need of people to gather to get their kids their school lunches and breakfasts. Another strategy they’re discussing is delivering school lunches at bus stops to the kids who get the free lunches.

It passed the House and is now being debated in the Senate.

HSE working to 'ensure sufficient testing facilities' in place by Monday for Covid-19 following 'high demand'

(Ireland)

THE HSE HAS today said it is working to ensure “sufficient testing facilities” are in place by Monday for the Covid-19 coronavirus following “high demand” in recent days.

A number of people, including GPs, have reported having issues contacting the HSE via phone in relation to patients with symptoms associated with the coronavirus, in recent days.

In a statement today, the HSE said “GP Out of Hours Services, HSELive and 112/999 have been receiving a very high number of calls today from people seeking access to testing for COVID-19″.

It is now working to have additional electronic testing facilities up and running by Monday to meet the increase in demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member