Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is starting to get socially awkward here at home. How do you tell your beloved family not to come over and expose us boomers. I don't want the young ones to forget about us oldies but goodies. I like that they check on us under the guise of a quick pool game. When young people don't get it they can get there feeling hurt. I am so torn.

Israel has announced a partial closure of the country, shutting down hotels, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, theatres and malls.

Speaking on Saturday night at a news conference, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said pharmacies, supermarkets and banks should continue to operate. He added people should remain two metres apart to prevent the spread of the virus.

In an unclear move that raised immediate privacy issues, Netanyahu announced the government also intended to use technology developed for counterterrorism to track people with the virus digitally.

He said the decision depended on approval from the justice ministry. “The enemy is invisible, but we must locate it,” Netanyahu said.

There have been 193 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Israel, with no deaths, according to the health ministry.

Coronavirus latest updates: Trump extends travel ban to UK and Ireland

I keep seeing people repeat this but I have yet to see anyone actually say this "out in the wild." And I keep up with pop culture on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc etc. I've seen 0 people say this. Sensationalist title to drive people apart. We should be coming together at this time. Don't let fear and angst win in this sensitive time.
I’ve heard it at the grocery store where boomers are freaking out. I’ve heard it at Costco where people are stockpiling to price gouge.

So I don’t think it’s just a twitter thing. Crazy social observation.

Yes indeed. Dr. Corey Hebert spoke on MSNBC this morning and compared it to a negative pregnancy test. IFKWIM.

He also stated, interestingly, that if a person has already had it and didn't know, (mild case, few symptoms) they would test negative as well, due to developed immunity. IMO, I don't know if that would show up quite this quickly, but he put it out there.

Link is MSNBC Morning News/watched live interview.

yay! We have already had it... I can go to the store for my 79 yr old Mama...

Those "boomer" remarks are infuriating. The comments are just as stupid as racist or sexist remarks.

(And isn't it everyone's goal to actually be part of the older generation someday?!)

Ageism is not funny.

signed, GenXer

that’s a bit much. Imo

£320m coronavirus rescue package for business

Scottish Finance Secretary Kate Forbes has announced a £320m rescue package for businesses.

The cash is being made available to support business through the Covid-19 outbreak.

She also revealed that a £50m hardship fund will be made available to people who lose their jobs as a result of a downturn caused by the virus.

The action has been taken to try to limit the impact of the pandemic on Scotland's economy.

It is starting to get socially awkward here at home. How do you tell your beloved family not to come over and expose us boomers. I don't want the young ones to forget about us oldies but goodies. I like that they check on us under the guise of a quick pool game. When young people don't get it they can get there feeling hurt. I am so torn.

I think you just need to tell them that you love them and want to see them but you are very worried about the virus. Hopefully they will understand given the gravity of the situation.

They are kidding themselves. There will be no Olympics this year.
My heart breaks for Japan and its people. And all athletes who have been training so hard for so long. Any amount of delay or postponement will hurt them a lot. I was keenly looking forward to watching the Olympic games this summer. So disheartened needlessly to say.
I guess no French open or Wimbledon too this year?

Unfortunately no. I’m thinking some things will have to be continued. Because I have massive multi-day trials in June, July and August and I can’t imagine being in court all day for days if we don’t have a vaccine by that time.
I'll keep my fingers crossed the Chief Judge grows some sense. I can't think of a public place more swarming with germs than a courthouse. Cook County's Judge Evans is pretty much closing everything down.

I do think there will be a vaccine available. I have a lot of faith in medical researchers. I remember standing in line at school getting the polio vaccine.

JMO

Illinois Circuit Court of Cook County > HOME > INFORMATION REGARDING CORONA VIRUS
Court operations and the coronavirus
March 13, 2020

Chief Judge Evans postpones most cases

for 30 days due to coronavirus

Many criminal and civil cases in the Circuit Court of Cook County will be postponed for a 30-day period starting Tuesday (March 17) due to the spread of the coronavirus, Chief Judge Timothy C. Evans announced today.

Court operations will proceed as scheduled on Monday (March 16). The 30-day period runs from March 17 through April 15.

Chief Judge Evans took this action after consulting with the court’s 17 presiding judges, the county board president, state’s attorney, public defender, sheriff, clerk of the circuit court and representatives of local bar associations.

“We are modifying court operations to protect the public, court staff and the judiciary,” Chief Judge Evans said. “We will continue to identify the appropriate balance between allowing access to justice and minimizing the threat to public health. I am also asking everybody in the justice system to exercise patience and flexibility as we move forward in these unpredictable times. This is an unprecedented situation, and we may need to make more changes in the days ahead.”

No jury trials in criminal or civil matters will begin in the 30 days. Individuals who have been summoned to jury duty from March 17 through April 15 should not report for jury duty. They will receive a new date for service.

Grand jury proceedings will continue during the 30 days, and the proceedings may be held in courtrooms to provide more space and distance between people. Individuals who are currently serving in grand jury proceedings must report to court.

For all adult criminal cases, all trials and many hearings scheduled for the 30 days are postponed to a future date. Hearings that will proceed in the 30 days include bail hearings, arraignments and preliminary hearings. In addition, defendants may continue to enter into plea agreements to conclude their case. Any pretrial defendant may also request a bail review during this time.

In addition, for the 30 days, low-risk and medium-risk adults on probation do not need to meet with their probation officer in person. Probation officers have contacted clients to inform them that they will schedule meetings to be held either via video conferencing or phone conversation. Clients deemed high-risk will still be required to report to their probation officers in person.

All traffic and misdemeanor matters scheduled in the 30 days are postponed to a future date.

For delinquency and criminal proceedings involving juveniles, the only matters that will occur during the 30 days are demands for trial and detention hearings that determine if a juvenile is held in custody while the case is pending.

Judges will hear cases of child abuse or neglect in which the state seeks protective custody of a child, and judges will hear emergency motions in which children are allegedly abused in foster care.

For domestic violence matters, petitioners may seek orders of protection during the 30 days. Litigants may also seek an order of protection related to an existing civil domestic relations case (such as dissolution of marriage). Emergency petitions may also be filed in child-support matters.

For the 30-day period, all civil matters not deemed an emergency by party agreement are postponed to a future date. Emergency requests in civil matters will be permitted.

No orders for an eviction or foreclosure will be entered during the 30-day period.

Civil lawsuits may still be filed in person or via electronic filing.

For the 30 days, all courthouse Children’s Rooms will be closed. Individuals who have court business should not bring children to court.

After marriage ceremonies conclude Monday, March 16, judges will not perform marriage ceremonies during the 30-day period.

Though there will be fewer cases, all courthouses will remain open for the 30 days. Court employees who do not need to be in a courtroom or office will be encouraged to work remotely during this time.

In addition, the Circuit Court of Cook County is following the guidance of the Illinois Supreme Court, and signs will be posted at all courthouses to indicate that the following individuals should not enter any courthouse if they:

• Have been in any of the following countries with the last 21 days: China, South Korea, Italy, Japan, Iran; or
  • Reside or have close contact with anyone who has been in one of those countries listed above within the last 21 days; or
  • Have been directed to quarantine, isolate or self-monitor at home for the coronavirus by any medical provider; or
  • Have been diagnosed with, or have had close contact with anyone diagnosed with, COVID-19; or
  • Have flu-like symptoms including fever, cough or shortness of breath.

Chief Judge Evans understands that one of these conditions may apply to a person who plans to attend a court hearing that is permitted during the 30-day period. He is following the guidance of the Illinois Supreme Court and asking the judiciary to make reasonable accommodations and reschedule matters for individuals who cannot enter a courthouse due to one of the aforementioned reasons.

Click here for a copy of General Administrative Order 2020-01

March 11, 2020

The Circuit Court of Cook County continues to monitor state and local responses to the coronavirus and will follow guidance provided by state and local public health agencies and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Hand-sanitizing dispensers have been installed at courthouses, and cleaning crews are conducting regular cleanings with an emphasis on first-touch areas such as doors knobs and areas inside elevators and restrooms.

All employees have been encouraged to get a flu shot; wash their hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands; stay home when sick; avoid close contact with people who are sick; and clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.

If you are summoned for jury service and are experiencing any acute respiratory illness symptoms (cough, shortness of breath, headaches), flu-like symptoms, have a fever, or are coughing or sneezing, please do not report for jury service. Instead, contact the jury office on weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 312-603-5879 to reschedule your service to a later date, which is typically about three months later. These are standard procedures but especially important at this time.

In addition, courthouse tours scheduled in March at the Daley Center (six tours) and the Leighton Criminal Court Building (six tours) have been postponed. Two seminars for senior citizens scheduled to occur in the Daley Center in March – one regarding Medicare fraud and one regarding veterans benefits – have been postponed.

As more information becomes available or if there are changes to court operations, we will keep you posted.

People in Britain aged over 70 will be instructed soon by the government to stay in strict isolation for four months as part of a planned response to coronavirus, broadcaster ITV's political editor said.

Robert Peston said the government was likely to enforce a "wartime-style" mobilisation effort in the next five to 20 days.

Over 70s to be told to self-isolate for months even if they don't have Covid-19

Other measures being planned included the forced requisitioning of hotels and other buildings as temporary hospitals and the requisitioning of private hospitals, he said.

Download Skype and visit virtually. Remind them you'd like to be around to love them for a long time.

I remember from an early age my answer whenever someone asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. My answer every time, "I'm gonna own a toilet paper factory and call it FiFi's toilet paper." When asked why, my answer every time, "Cause everybody is always gonna need it." Needless to say, I didn't follow through and hubby had to bring some home from work.

That is a GREAT idea!!! I've been wondering how to support some local places when I really don't need anything from them right now, but I want them to still be there when this all blows over.

I am going to buy gift cards to use later - thank you!!

jmo

Yes. We have a wonderful plant nursery that is a joy to visit as spring comes along and the summer planting season starts. It is also a social place where I run into so many people I know. All my summer garden is planned around the plants and herbs they sell. Having to avoid this place full of beautiful flowers and trees, where the birds are all chirping, where the Western Tanagers are nesting and all the fountains are flowing is a great loss of a morale booster.

I will buy a nice big gift certificate and monitor the local conditions so I can maybe visit (wearing mask and gloves, of course).

I was hoping that we can get a vaccine fast tracked so that we can start inoculating sooner rather than later. If people can get vaccinated starting in May, do you think we can get a handle on this?
Under the best of circumstances, a vaccine is a year out. And a year would be skipping a lot of the testing.

Coronavirus vaccine clinical trial starting without usual animal data- STAT

There are no good choices with this. I just watched a documentary on the thalidomide babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MandyLynn1109