Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am right there with you. My oldest daughter is 8.5 mos pregnant. She is so scared for the little life she is bringing into this uncertain world. What should be a very happy time is now full of worry and fear. My oldest son is 2 months from graduating with is masters from LIU. Instead of relishing in the next two months after years of hard work, he is sitting home. Self quarantined because his instructor and one classmate already have full blow CV, lab tested. Graduation ceremonies already cancelled. My heard breaks for him. He will know Monday if the bad cough he has is CV. My younger daughter was planning her dream wedding for years, set to happen in June. She will get married but nothing else will be the same. Her shower was supposed to be tomorrow. Canceled.

I am sorry to unload. My heart is broken for ALL of our young people.
Unload away. This thread doesn't have to be all about links and stats. We ARE the stats. I have tears in my eyes for you. Each of your kids is affected somehow. That's such overload.

I hurt most when my kids and my grandkids hurt, too. I can't imagine your emotions. xo

I'm sorry to hear that your kids are in pain. One of my fears is that more and more people will feel the same.

Currently my daughter is in self isolation because she was exposed to the virus. She must submit daily health reports until March 19. She's not showing any symptoms but I can sense that she's becoming depressed by being home alone. She had to suspend work at her business so her employees are also isolated which weighs on her.

I've been purposely keeping in touch with her remotely (I'm in the US and she's in Japan) and just chatting so she doesn't feel alone.

My granddaughter is at Tulane and was notified that she had to exit her dorm in a few days. Luckily her roommate also lives in Florida and they will fly home together. Unfortunately a boy in the dorm right next to hers fell/jumped from a third floor stairwell Thursday and died. She saw his dying body on the ground which impacted her. What bad times are happening now!

I guess we will all just muddle through the best we can and lend support to those who are suffering from the fallout of the virus. I wish you and yours the best! (hugs)

Oh my God. Ugh. This keeps getting worse.

Today was strange day... My DH and I are both coughing and sneezing but I'm 95% sure it's seasonal allergies. No fevers and our mild symptoms respond to benedryl and/or zyrtec. Either way, we are staying home in self-isolation as long as we possibly can. Church is canceled Sunday. Schools are canceled Monday for at least 2 or 3 weeks. All large events canceled. We can work from home (I hope). What is everyone planning to do with your free time other than Netflix marathons? :D I plan to do an early Spring cleaning to organize my closets and maybe plant a garden (need to check my freeze zone dates). Is there a list of projects people are taking on while spending extra time at home or productive ways you are passing the time?

How to Protect Older People From the Coronavirus - New York Times article

How to Protect Older People From the Coronavirus
People over 60, and especially over 80, are particularly vulnerable to severe or fatal infection. Here are some steps to reduce their risk.

Familiarize yourself with guidelines and follow them.
Geriatricians recommend their patients adhere to current recommendations from the C.D.C. and W.H.O., a litany of advice that has become all too familiar: Wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water for 20 seconds (the time it takes to sing “Happy Birthday” twice) or clean them with alcohol-based hand gel; avoid handshakes; stay away from large gatherings; clean and disinfect objects that are touched frequently; and avoid public transportation and crowds. Stock up on supplies.

Cruises are out, as is nonessential travel. Visits with grandchildren are ill-advised.[ BBM]

What about nonessential doctor’s appointments?
Some experts are recommending that older adults at risk cancel nonessential doctor’s appointments, including wellness visits. Telemedicine sessions, if available, are often a reasonable substitute.

Dr. Eckstrom generally agrees, but with caveats. While it might be prudent to cancel wellness and other visits that are not urgent, she said, “many older adults have issues that require regular follow up, such as dementia, Parkinson’s disease, falls, heart problems.” She worries that skipping visits might allow these conditions to spiral out of control, but agrees that telemedicine can usually bridge the gap.

Another helpful step: talking to your doctor about stockpiling two or three months of any critical prescription medicines.

Beware of social isolation.
Experts warn that social distancing, the cornerstone of epidemic control, could lead to social isolation, already a problem in the older population. According to a recent Pew Research Center study of more than 130 countries and territories, 16 percent of people 60 and older live alone. Loneliness, researchers have found, comes with its own set of health hazards.

Dr. Winetsky is aware of the danger, and has suggested to his parents that they switch to virtual meetings with friends and relatives, with the benefits of social engagement in mind. “I’ve tried to frame it as, ‘Don’t cancel these things, but change to Zoom or Skype or FaceTime,’” he said.

Have a talk with home health aides.
The National Association for Home Care & Hospice estimates that 12 million “vulnerable persons of all ages” in the U.S. receive care in their homes, delivered by a home care work force of approximately 2.2 million people. For many older adults, that means a steady parade of home health aides trooping through the door, some more mindful of hygiene than others.

People should have conversations with their caregivers about hygiene, suggested Dr. David Nace, president-elect of the Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine, a professional group that represents practitioners working in long-term care facilities.

The nursing home conundrum.
Some 1.7 million people, mostly older, are in nursing homes in the U.S., a fraction of the 50 million Americans over age 65.

Given the rash of deaths at a nursing home in Kirkland, Wash., hit hard by the virus, nursing homes are on high alert. Many have gone into full lockdown mode.

The federal government is telling nursing homes to bar all visitors, making exceptions only “for compassionate care, such as end of life situations.”

Stay active, even in a pandemic.
Geriatricians fear that social distancing may affect routines in ways that can compromise the vitality of older adults. They emphasize the importance of maintaining good habits, including sufficient sleep, healthful eating and exercise.

Exercise may be beneficial in fighting the effects of coronavirus. It can help boost the body’s immune functions, decrease inflammation and have mental and emotional benefits. A patient who relies on daily exercise at the gym but is trying to avoid risky situations might simply go for a walk.

She busted her butt to be able to go out of state to a good university. Straight A’s and thriving. Now she’s sitting in her high school bedroom.

I know...I really do. I am so sorry. I posted a reply to your earlier post. I cannot find it but maybe you saw it. Heartbroken for all of our young people. Our sweet littles that became big.

I want to focus now and then here on the positives. There are always positives. On Nextdoor people are reaching out saying that if anyone needs help or supplies or child care or remote tutoring they’re available for free. Just beautiful.

Hard to say. If you filter the results from low to high price, you can buy a case of Cottonelle (48 rolls) for about $50. Feel free to check my math! Some of these are "industrial" sized rolls that fit in those public bathroom, huge dispensers. IMO

I can't quote the original post, but the scott tissue was 84 cents a roll, which is a lot less than retail. I can sometimes get it on sale for .60/roll.

Today was strange day... My DH and I are both coughing and sneezing but I'm 95% sure it's seasonal allergies. No fevers and our mild symptoms respond to benedryl and/or zyrtec. Either way, we are staying home in self-isolation as long as we possibly can. Church is canceled Sunday. Schools are canceled Monday for at least 2 or 3 weeks. All large events canceled. We can work from home (I hope). What is everyone planning to do with your free time other than Netflix marathons? :D I plan to do an early Spring cleaning to organize my closets and maybe plant a garden (need to check my freeze zone dates). Is there a list of projects people are taking on while spending extra time at home or productive ways you are passing the time?

I should clean my house but I'm not going to. I will be knitting and if the snow ever goes away, walking the dogs.

JDG
Is there a link or headline available, easier to search for?

Someone linked it earlier. I read it, rolled my eyes, and went to check whether any of the more reputable broadcasters had reported it - they had not.

Typical tabloid shouting speculatory headlines and panicking people. I think it was The Mirror and it was an opinion piece written by a political journalist. Best to stick with the BBC and ITV for UK news.

She busted her butt to be able to go out of state to a good university. Straight A’s and thriving. Now she’s sitting in her high school bedroom.

My son is supposed to graduate in May with his MBA and the last 2 weeks the phone interviews for a job have started coming in. He was in a graduate internship and his work on campus payed his rent, which he still has to pay thru June. His graduation ceremony will likely be cancelled, his job prospects just took a major nose dive with the expected economy crash but all of that is okay..because he will work hard to get back on track once things stabilize a bit. His college shutting down did not wipe out all his accomplishments. He is disappointed but he is healthy, he can come home until job prospects pick up again, he can stay in touch with friends and family through social media. Your daughter sounds like she has a strong work ethic, ambition and determination...everything she worked for is not gone, it has just been put in quarantine for a bit.

you know, I've often thought about how much of our younger generation would be able to deal with a crisis like this.
They are so used to "instant gratification" . Especially when it comes to food. Many of them have no idea how to make home cooked foods.
At our restaurant, we make everything from scratch. Including doughs, salad dressings and soups. Younger people are often blown away by this.
I love showing a young person in our kitchen how to create something, then have them taste it. Their eyes get big, and I usually get a big "OMG" !
I really, love doing that. :-)

Every two weeks for the last six weeks, I have gone shopping and spent between $200 and $300. This house is stocked. It was shocking to me to go to the store yesterday, and see bare shelves. When has this ever happened in the United States? WWII? Wow.

A man has died during a flight from Dubai to Boston and will be tested for coronavirus "in an abundance of caution," according to state police. He had been sick with gastrointestinal problems for several days and had no underlying health issues. BNO Newsroom on Twitter
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_211504.png
    IMG_20200314_211504.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online