Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gardener1850 , @PommyMommy , @book-thinker and Others not feeling well - You are in my prayers big time!
Thank you for the prayers - very kind of you. However, I am just fine, not sick at all! :p
Hi everyone, This morning I spoke with my nurse regarding my low grade fevers, dry cough and headaches since the 6th of March. My nurse feels this could be from having sinusitis. The post nasal drip going down the back of my throat is causing the dry cough. Since there is pollen in the air allergies could also be a factor. I will be putting away my dark thoughts and stop thinking it might be the virus. Everyone thank you again for caring about how I feel. What a great group of people we have here.
I'm so happy to hear this. MOO

Wow, just checking in. 155 cases now in Florida.
Also, a cruise ship let passengers disembark without screenings in Miami yesterday after a person had to be taken off due to positive testing for coronavirus. Everyone on the cruise scattered like roaches.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241209366.html
How many coronavirus cases are there in Florida? Check the state's interactive coronavirus map

It is things like this that are super scary. Why were the passengers not screened???

Nice to see that vaccine trials have started and that they're testing on humans. There have been times when a different species reacts differently and it's unpredictable. But it will be a while.
"“The traditional vaccine timeline is 15 to 20 years. That would not be acceptable here,” said Mark Feinberg, president and CEO of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative, whose work as chief public health and science officer at Merck Vaccines was instrumental in the development of the immunization against Ebola. “When you hear predictions about it taking at best a year or a year and a half to have a vaccine available … there’s no way to come close to those timelines unless we take new approaches.”"
Coronavirus vaccine clinical trial starting without usual animal data- STAT

I hate watching the US press conference,

They are not employing social distancing as they advocate. They are all crammed in shoulder to shoulder

Several of them have grabbed what looks like the same parts of the podium: Trump keeps doing it over and over again. I think Dr. Faucci did. I didn't see Dr. Bix doing it.

The UK conference was much more organized, and showed appropriate physical distancing, stayed on topic, and was very much more illuminating

I’m glad people are doing that though. It all helps. Better than last week when I got weird looks from a couple in a car at the gas station because I used a disinfectant wipe and gloves. The woman sat in her car eating french fries with her fingers as she typed on her phone. Same fingers. I watched.
And those people are the one's we need to worry about. Giving it to everyone else.

I don't understand what these predictions are based upon. It seems a bit exaggerated to me.

Right now, WORLDWIDE, it is estimated there are 100,ooo cases of Covid19. So how is the tiny UK going to end up with 8 million hospitalised?

Coronavirus quarantine hotel in China collapses: Live updates
"The World Health Organization (WHO) called the spread of the virus "deeply concerning" as a wave of countries reported on Saturday their first cases of the COVID-19 disease, which has now killed nearly 3,500 people and infected more than 100,000 across 92 nations and territories."
Exponential growth. Cases double roughly every six days. Unless we can stop the exponential growth, the numbers get really, really big really, really fast.

I've posted links on this before, but it's a difficult thing to wrap your head around, and there are a lot of new people on the thread that need to understand this, so here they are again.

Exponential growth can be difficult to understand.

Coronavirus & Exponential Growth: The Chessboard Problem | National Review

Simple math offers alarming answers about Covid-19, health care - STAT

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...hat-you-can-see-what-you-cant/?outputType=amp

We are at high risk, my friend. Treatment plans for most autoimmune diseases utilize immunosuppression in order to calm down the overactive immune system. This helps treat/ease pain and can help reduce damage caused by disease in some patients, as well.

I take a small dose of chemo daily along with an infusion every 8 weeks. I was hospitalized in September with a GI bleed but because I had my infusion within the last 30 of being admitted, they wouldn't scope me to find the bleed. They treated me conservatively with steroids and antibiotics without knowing what the cause was. It took four days before I stopped bleeding. I was very ill and had two blood transfusions while I was there.

Immunosuppression is serious business. All JMO and personal experience.

Okay thanks, I did have a talk with my bosses to have me work from home, they are working on it. I alos take public transportation.

Take care of yourself.

U.S. government advising gatherings of no more than 10 people, not only in public but also including in private homes.

So that sort of answers my question about DV shelters.

This is all depressing...praying for Italy's elderly...the personal histories and vibrant personalities and loving hearts that will be lost.

I have to believe we will rise, as they did, in the face of trouble. I have to believe that those who are intelligent and caring will take the lead, at all levels, including right here in our communities. I have to believe that good will come of this, if it means less absorption in our own lives, and more attention to others and in how to build and maintain functioning systems. Just like they did in the Depression and WWII.

Everyone should be thoroughly washing all fruits and veggies from any place they get them for sure.
I have never done that, but I did wash my grapes the other day with a 10% bleach solution and rinsed them well.
All I could picture was that little coronavirus icon all over them!
I'd almost prefer my fruit and veggies come from a local small market, or to be sold from the back of the grower's pick up truck!
At least then I know where they have been!
Lol
Moo
I wonder if that vegetable spray you can buy would be effective.

I have been thinking about you hourly!! So GLAD to hear!!

It reassures me as well. I’ve been having a dry cough for days, and slight asthma which got worse, since mid-February. And now swollen glands. No fever.

But I found out I had been under medicating with my preventative inhaler and also I stopped using Claritin due to it making me nervous. And I think I’m just having a lot of allergies. I feel pressure in the cavities? around my ears/jaw and post-nasal drip dripping into the back of throat a lot.

But I’m super glad to hear your news. It’s really good to hear. I know you’ve been worried and I know we’ve all been feeling sad for what you’ve been going through.

Do you ever try the saline solution nose rinse?

One other thing I thought about today is that very soon, at least in the Midwest where I live, local farmers markets will be opening soon. If people are being careful, they probably won't be going around handling all of the fresh produce that was just handled by someone else or they will just stay away which means another small business could fail. It is sad.
I've seen here in Sweden "facebook local markets", where people can order what they want from local producers, and then meet at a parking lot for the buy. All the members of the group who want to buy, or sell, meet up once every week or every two weeks for the exchange. It takes half an hour or so to do it.

We were informed last night that our school district was closing for the next 2 weeks. Next week is spring break. Apparently that call was made from the governor asking all the schools in the state to follow.

This morning the changed our risk level from low to imminent. We are now supposed to be limiting to groups of 50 or less. But things change hour by hour. When the school called last night they didn’t say the usual see you after spring break. Instead it was they will keep us informed in the days ahead. I’ve never dealt with something like this it’s very very rare to even close schools here they have certain amount hours the have to legally be in school. I guess the governor can fix that I don’t know. It just starts sounding scarier every day.

I wasn’t worried at first but I’m concerned not just about this virus but the economy . If people can’t work this is a disaster. Plus I’m going a little stir crazy . These kids in my home do not handle breaks from routine and structure. It’s going to be a rough couple weeks. The is governor is going to addressing the state this afternoon maybe things will be cleared up a bit.

I’m glad people are doing that though. It all helps. Better than last week when I got weird looks from a couple in a car at the gas station because I used a disinfectant wipe and gloves. The woman sat in her car eating french fries with her fingers as she typed on her phone. Same fingers. I watched.

Eeeewwww. I wasn't hungry before and that just made me feel even more nauseated.

As an aside - the majority of us here on this thread are taking this super-seriously. Yet, I wonder about the wider world - my local shop has people wandering around no masks, no cares. My neighbour thinks coughing and then yelling ‘Coronavirus!’ is side-splittingly funny. It would appear to be business as usual for many people. Perhaps ignorance really is bliss in some cases.

Hi everyone, This morning I spoke with my nurse regarding my low grade fevers, dry cough and headaches since the 6th of March. My nurse feels this could be from having sinusitis. The post nasal drip going down the back of my throat is causing the dry cough. Since there is pollen in the air allergies could also be a factor. I will be putting away my dark thoughts and stop thinking it might be the virus. Everyone thank you again for caring about how I feel. What a great group of people we have here.
Happy dance..awesome news!!

PS Keep an eye on it though, just in case. XO

Coronavirus-hit Italy warns those aged 80 or older 'will be left to die'

Officials say medical conditions are war-like with doctors forced to choose who lives based on age and health condition, says medic

To receive medical care, a patient must be under the age of 80 and have fewer than 5 known ailments, according to a documents seen by The Telegraph.

The document, produced by the civil protection department of the Piedmont region, one of the worst regions hit, is a new guideline for staff.

It reads: "The criteria for access to intensive therapy in cases of emergency must include age of less than 80 or a score on the Charlson comorbidity Index [which indicates how many other medical conditions the patient has] of less than 5."

Coronavirus-hit Italy warns those aged 80 or older 'will be left to die'

I can’t bear this. Those poor people and their families. I’m so close to tears tonight. I feel I should just go to bed and emerge tomorrow, hoping the world will look a little brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia