Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WHO considers 'airborne precautions' for medical staff after study shows coronavirus can survive in air

WHO considers ‘airborne precautions’ for medical staff after study shows coronavirus can survive in air
PUBLISHED MON, MAR 16 202012:24 PM EDTUPDATED 41 MIN AGO
Berkeley Lovelace Jr.@BERKELEYJR
Noah Higgins-Dunn@HIGGINSDUNN
William Feuer@WILLFOIA

KEY POINTS
  • WHO is considering “airborne precautions” for medical staff after a new study showed the coronavirus can survive in the air in some settings.
  • The coronavirus can go airborne, staying suspended in the air depending on factors such as heat and humidity, WHO officials said.
The World Health Organization is considering “airborne precautions” for medical staff after a new study showed the coronavirus can survive in the air in some settings.

The virus is transmitted through droplets, or little bits of liquid, mostly through sneezing or coughing, Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, told reporters during a virtual news conference on Monday. “When you do an aerosol-generating procedure like in a medical care facility, you have the possibility to what we call aerosolize these particles, which means they can stay in the air a little bit longer.”

She added: “It’s very important that health-care workers take additional precautions when they’re working on patients and doing those procedures.”

Brantly Keiek on Twitter

Governor Ron DeSantis says all bars and nightclubs in Florida must close by 5 p.m. today and will be suspended for 30 days. #coronavirus

Whoa. I have a friend who is a night club entertainer in FL and that is how he makes his living. A lot of people are going to go broke from this.

My only saving grace right now is already having my tax refund. If I didn't have that I would really be in some financial trouble.

BBM:
rsbm

And W.H.O. telling our country to "test, test, test"? Okay WHO, with What, What, What? The testing kits are not even here yet. Sorry for the rant. I am obviously frustrated. I have family members at greater risk in the edlerly category as do many ppl, it is serious to me. (His lung capacity is already rolling at 60%, he isnt 70 yrs old yet)

I’ll take this question. Mods please allow the full hour editing time.

ETA:

Short answer:

“WHO has clear advice for governments, businesses and individuals.

First, prepare and be ready.

Every person must know the signs and symptoms and how to protect themselves and others.

Every health worker should be able to recognize this disease, provide care and know what to do with their patients.

Every health facility should be ready to cope with large numbers of patients, and ensure the safety of staff and patients.

Second, detect, protect and treat.

You can’t fight a virus if you don’t know where it is. Find, isolate, test and treat every case, to break the chains of transmission.

Every case we find and treat limits the expansion of the disease.

Third, reduce transmission.

Do not just let this fire burn.

Isolate the sick and quarantine their contacts. In addition, measures that increase social distancing such as cancelling sporting events may help to reduce transmission. These measures, of course, should be based on local context and risk assessment, and should be time-limited.

Even if you cannot stop transmission, you can slow it down and save lives.

And fourth, innovate and learn.

This is a new virus and a new situation. We’re all learning, and we must all find new ways to prevent infections, save lives, and minimize impact. All countries have lessons to share.

There are simple, effective things we can all do to reduce the risk of infection for ourselves and those around us.”

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 13 March 2020

Last edited:
WHO considers 'airborne precautions' for medical staff after study shows coronavirus can survive in air

WHO considers ‘airborne precautions’ for medical staff after study shows coronavirus can survive in air
PUBLISHED MON, MAR 16 202012:24 PM EDTUPDATED 41 MIN AGO
Berkeley Lovelace Jr.@BERKELEYJR
Noah Higgins-Dunn@HIGGINSDUNN
William Feuer@WILLFOIA

KEY POINTS
  • WHO is considering “airborne precautions” for medical staff after a new study showed the coronavirus can survive in the air in some settings.
  • The coronavirus can go airborne, staying suspended in the air depending on factors such as heat and humidity, WHO officials said.
The World Health Organization is considering “airborne precautions” for medical staff after a new study showed the coronavirus can survive in the air in some settings.

The virus is transmitted through droplets, or little bits of liquid, mostly through sneezing or coughing, Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, told reporters during a virtual news conference on Monday. “When you do an aerosol-generating procedure like in a medical care facility, you have the possibility to what we call aerosolize these particles, which means they can stay in the air a little bit longer.”

She added: “It’s very important that health-care workers take additional precautions when they’re working on patients and doing those procedures.”

Marking thank you.

They could and should have done this better. It was very slap dash and last minute. DeWine had to rely on his son, who is a justice on the Ohio Supreme Court, to save his statutory bacon. Sure, junior recused himself from the vote, but the influence was there. It's how Ohio rolls. Our Secy of State wasn't a whole lot of help. I don't think the guy even has a college degree. He got his job because his dad owns a big beer distributorship and donates a lot of money. Similar situation with the head of ODH. Has a medical degree from a diploma mill.

The strange part was that DeWine had to do this. The first judge said the gov was supposed to get the consent of the Ohio legislature. Admittedly, we have a terribly unqualified, crazy, corrupt legislature, but surely he would have been able to get this past them? COVID 19 is an interesting test of our systems of government. People should be paying attention. This is what happens when you get distracted and stop having any control over your elected officials.

Links to the above?

The Lt. Governor of Ohio, Husted, was secretary of state before his current position, so as a team I think they know what they are doing. MOO.

““At a briefing Monday afternoon, President Trump called on the country to come together, appealing on all Americans to help halt the spread of the virus.

Trump outlined the government’s newest recommendations, urging all older Americans and those at a high risk to stay home. The administration advised the public to avoid gatherings of more than 10 people, not buy more than a week’s worth of groceries at a time, and cancel all discretionary travel.””

[...]

Tuesday, March 17, 2020
11:15 a.m. update

WASHINGTON (AP) — In its latest emergency action, the Federal Reserve is establishing a lending facility to buy short-term loans from banks and companies to ease the flow of credit as the economy grinds to a halt from the viral outbreak.

The Fed announced Tuesday that it's reviving a program it first used during the 2008 financial crisis to unclog a short-term lending market for what is known as “commercial paper.” Large businesses issue commercial paper to raise cash to meet payrolls and cover other short-term costs.”

Coronavirus headlines: Fed will buy short-term loans to try to ease flow of credit as economy grinds to halt

——

SHOW ME THE MONEY
(Levity break / YouTube Jerry McGuire)

Ugh,,,,,

COVID-19 is hitting very close to home for me today, one of my nieces (20 yrs old) has been sent home as an “assumed” positive. Has the symptoms, flu ruled out, won’t receive official test due to age and not critical....
(and shortage of tests :mad:)

A text from her to her dad:

“It might already be in my lungs. It hurts to cough and I feel like I’m trying to breathe through mucus. But yeah I am young so I don’t imagine it’ll get bad enough for me to go to the hospital”

Requesting prayers for her, and for all of us. It’s definitely not going to affect just the elderly....

Trump is on tv now saying we have "plenty" of respirators and equipment. I trust the doctors on this one.

Well, Governor Northam of VA just said otherwise. I'ok post the pressure just as soon as its posted. We received a few masks fro FEDS, but have to procure our own. Still only have about 200 to 300 kits, recommends to use private labs. All manufacturers are out. His voice was shaky during the presser.

VA NOW, today has nursing home transmission in a metropolitan area.

I agree, but I think denial is pretty powerful and some people’s brains continue to deny longer than others. No idea why, maybe protection from losing it completely? Too much too fast? Perhaps just selfish. I don’t know, but I’ve been slow to accept this, but at the same time I was social distancing. I agree people need to get on board, sooner than later to make this work.

My nephew just returned from Honduras with wife and baby.
My husband's bro picks them up at the airport.
So my hubs asks his bro on the phone,
I guess the 'kids' are self isolating at your home?

Nope,
they're off, out and about. Errands and meeting friends.

My husband was infuriated.
We know that they were raised to understand what empathy and self sacrifice is.
But in general, they just don't practice it.
Inconvenient in their self absorbed world of entitlement.

OMG. Where do we stop to ... oh wait, we cannot drive anywhere.

Trump talked today about how he has been talking to all the big fast food chains, and also Walmart.

He made some specific references to the food issue which is my big concern for this moment after my instacart ordeal.

Trust me when I tell you they are overloaded. In my area delivery dates are at least a week out already. Moo.

Nine new COVID-19 cases disclosed in Ontario, total rises to 186

image.jpg

People line up outside Women's College Hospital's COVID-19 assessment centre on March 17, 2020. (Kevin Hoppler/CP24)

Ford declares state of emergency, orders closure of some businesses
March 17, 2020 12:12PM EDT
BREAKING NEWS

Ford declares state of emergency in Ontario due to COVID-19
''Premier Doug Ford has declared a provincial state of emergency in response to a worsening COVID-19 outbreak and will now order the closure of restaurants and bars not providing takeout service along with a host of other venues where crowds are known to gather.

Ford made the announcement at a hastily-called news conference at Queen’s Park on Tuesday morning, noting that the province is facing an “unprecedented time in its history” and must “act decisively” and “take any and all actions necessary as COVID-19 continues to spread.”

He says that under the order the government will prohibit all organized public events of more than 50 people until March 31, including services in places of worship. He said that the order will also force the closure of all facilities providing indoor recreational programs, all public libraries and private schools, all licenced childcare centres, all bars and restaurants that don’t provide takeout services and all theatres, cinemas and concert venues.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia