Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's more about Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) as a possible help in fighting the Coronavirus.

Coronavirus: There is still a glimpse of hope

"On the verge of an epidemic with so many unknowns and consequences, there is still hope on the horizon. Based on the review of several reported drug discovery efforts to combat various viruses, a combination of two different drugs targeting the two most critical and vulnerable points for the survival and spread of the SARS-CoV2 virus could prove useful in slowing its spread, and prevent the COVID-19 disease. They can be given to infected patients as well as precautionary care to the non-infected.

The first drug is a chloroquine derivative and sold under the brand name "plaquenil." It has been extensively used since the 1950s to fight malaria, but with more research it was found to be useful in helping the immune system and reducing inflammation. It is on the list of the WHO's most essential and effective medicines. It is one of the cheapest drugs to manufacture and could easily be made available to everyone concerned worldwide.

The second is the experimental drug "remdesivir" being developed by the US based company Gilead to target the machinery helping the Ebola virus to divide and increase its population to cause the death of its host and leading to its spread and survival. The drug is currently undergoing a few clinical trials in China and soon in the U.S. for the SARS-CoV2 virus. It was given to the first American infected with the virus and he survived, seemingly cleared of the SARS-CoV2 virus.

Combining the two drugs could block the virus from infecting the lungs, and dividing to produce COVID-19 symptoms that could lead to death. Both drugs are safe and available today, or can be manufactured...."

10 Days Later: What Italians Wish They Had Known

Quotes from article:

When the Italian media began reporting on the increased community spread of the novel coronavirus across the country, Olmo Parenti, like many Italian citizens, didn’t take the threat of the pandemic too seriously. “My friends and I were almost mocking the few people who believed the issue was serious from the get-go,” Parenti, a young filmmaker, told me.

Just days later, Parenti felt like he was living in a different version of reality—a dystopian one. The number of positive cases had spiked dramatically. The entire country had shut down. The economy took a nosedive. Hospitals, overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients, were being forced to make impossible utilitarian decisions: Which critical patients would receive lifesaving artificial ventilation, while the others would effectively be left to die?

Parenti and his friends were disturbed by the fact that they had severely underestimated the situation, a perspective that perhaps contributed to the spread of the virus. “We read in the news that the U.S., England, Germany, and France were all taking the COVID-19 progression just as lightly as we had,” Parenti said. “We decided we had to redeem ourselves in some way.”

Together with other members of his filmmaking collective, Parenti put out a call for citizens across the country to film themselves in quarantine. “We asked them to talk in first person to the camera,” he said, “and give themselves advice based on their own past behavior.”

The resulting film, 10 Days, features messages from dozens of terrified Italians. The videos play as if warnings from the future. Like Parenti, many of the people who submitted quarantine videos chide themselves for not having taken precautionary measures, such as self-isolation and social distancing, as early as they could have.

“This isn’t all like you thought,” says one young man.

Another woman, who is seen wearing a face mask, admits that she used to make fun of people wearing masks. “The worst-case scenario? That’s exactly what will happen,” she adds.

As though to underscore the importance of quarantine compliance across age groups, a teenager in the video reveals an eye-opening fact: “There are currently kids our age who are intubated and in intensive care.”

Many experts believe that the United States is just 10 days behind the level of severity of the pandemic in Italy. We are at a crucial inflection point, according to the surgeon general, Dr. Jerome Adams, and the time to prepare for what’s coming is now.

“This has been a humbling experience,” Parenti said. “But the cool thing about mistakes is that you can learn from other people’s—so learn from ours and don’t underestimate this.”

By Sunday, 24,747 cases had been diagnosed in Italy, up from 21,157 on Saturday—a record-breaking single-day increase. The country also reported 368 new fatalities, bringing the death toll to 1,809 nationwide.

JMO, sorry, still excited over this. I need to put this article together in a way the info gets through to others. All we're hearing now is very bad news, and we need some hope. What if one or two simple prescription drugs could save your loved ones life or your life.

Coronavirus: There is still a glimpse of hope

"The first drug is a chloroquine derivative and sold under the brand name "plaquenil."

and

"The second is the experimental drug "remdesivir" being developed by the US based company Gilead..."

then maybe hope

"Combining the two drugs could block the virus from infecting the lungs, and dividing to produce COVID-19 symptoms that could lead to death. Both drugs are safe and available today, or can be manufactured. The scientific research supporting their individual effects on SARS-CoV2 virus was made public in earlier February 2020. This critical and timely research work was led by Dr Gengfu Xiao and his team of brilliant and brave scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, under what we can only imagine as difficult conditions."

NIH clinical trial of remdesivir to treat COVID-19 begins

"A randomized, controlled clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the investigational antiviral remdesivir in hospitalized adults diagnosed with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has begun at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) in Omaha.

BBM and MOO, we need some hope.

Last edited:
rbbm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...onference-attendees-exposed-covid19-1.5499437

''Nearly 15,000 people who attended a dental conference in Vancouver in early March have been told to self-isolate immediately by B.C.'s provincial health officer who said multiple cases of coronavirus have been traced to the event.

On Monday, Dr. Bonnie Henry said 30 additional cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in B.C. since Saturday, bringing the total in the province to 103.

''Henry said at least four of those new cases are related to an infected person who attended the Pacific Dental Conference, held at the Vancouver Convention Centre March 5 to 7.

Henry said cases of COVID-19 identified in other areas of the country have also been traced back to the Vancouver conference.''

"They should not be at work. They should not be at school. They should not be around others," said Henry.''

If symptoms develop, people are asked to contact 811 or their health care provider. Only if symptoms are severe, such as shortness of breath or chest pain, should British Columbians call 911 or go to the Emergency Department.

I got an email about this from my dentist's office today. As of today, they are closed and in quarantine, but they have been open and running since the conference because they were originally told there was no risk. So for the last 10 days, dentists who attended this have been possibly spreading this not just at work, but in their communities. Here in Vic, all of our dentists except one are now shut down. We have 7 new confirmed cases of Covid on the island today.

I thought I had almost zero risk of having this when they put me into quarantine. Not true. People have been possibly spreading this in our direct community since the first week of the month, and my symptoms (cough, fever, chills) started early last week. They still won't test me unless I end up hospitalized, but I'm livid the province put people at risk like this. Not as livid as those dentists are though, I bet.

CT - A bit of a local report.....

I just wanted to share what continues to be an almost total 'disconnect' between huge portions of the local population in CT with the broader news about COVID19 and the devastation seen in Italy in particular as well as around the world.

I've posted about the CT children and parent's response to the cancelation of CIAC tournaments as I found the response shocking then as I do now as the articles keep stacking up and then to see the number of signatures on the petition is something that I find mind blowing. Over 85,000 signatures on a petition about cancelling the tourney's! I wonder how many deaths from COVID19 the State of CT will see but with a 5% mortality then its likely that CT will see possible deaths in the range of 175,000 people.

I wonder how many of the people that signed the petition in CT will themselves lose their lives to COVID19 or will lose family members to COVID19 and due to the the lack of preparedness seen so far in CT from the inadequate testing to hospital workers with no protective gear to no quarantine locations set up and no temporary hospital rooms set up as well. Train wreck in process in CT and its a tragedy.

Dave Ruden referred to in the article below IMO had a huge opportunity with his reach and notoriety to share the bigger picture about COVID19 with the folks in CT and possibly mobilise the protesting students to assist in COVID19 planning efforts but IMO HE CHOSE NOT TO. Instead we see Dave Ruden fanning flames of entitlement and anger in the face of a pandemic event where many people in CT will DIE and endure much pain and suffering. I expected more of Dave Ruden and School Sports Officials as IMO they missed a huge opportunity to engage students on an important issue but instead they fuelled the rage of students instead. Sad to see this play out and I think it will be yet another regrettable stain on sports in CT.

Swift Reaction to CIAC Cancellation of State Tournament Play; Petition Grows; Protest Planned

Quotes from article:

Tuesday’s decision of the CIAC to cancel winter games “out of an abundance of caution for students, families and community spectators,” was made amid ongoing concerns regarding the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus).

In a post on Tuesday, Dave Ruden of The Ruden report said, “There is nothing — NOTHING — that turns people in this state more apoplectic than the cancellation of high school sporting events.”

In a statement, the CIAC acknowledged that there was a variety of approaches among local districts, including some indicating they would play while limiting crowds to less than 100 people and others willing would play without spectators.

But the CIAC also noted there were schools declining to participate and others are withdrawing their gymnasiums as neutral venues for games.

A petition was quickly launched online by Jake Walker, a former Fairfield Prep Hockey Goaltender, appealing to CIAC executive director Glenn Lungarini and Governor Ned Lamont to continue CIAC winter tournaments without fans.

The petition describes hearts of players, families, and coaches being broken, especially among seniors.

“Amid the COVID-19 outbreak, many schools, universities, and sports teams are taking precaution to prevent the spread of the disease. However, cancelling the entirety of the CIAC Winter State Tournament is absolutely unprecedented and unacceptable.” – Change.org petition

The petition asks the CIAC to reconsider its decision and agree to a compromise in which the tournaments would continue but with a restricted spectator audience and live streaming on the internet.

That said, the possibility of playing the games without fans present is fading due to lack of venues. More and more schools that had offered up their gymnasiums have withdrawn their offers.

Still, as of Wednesday morning the petition had been signed by 85,680 people.[BBM]

Jake Walker

@JDWalker37

·
11 Mar

At 88,913 signatures, the petition is represented by all fifty states and forty-three countries. 77.3% of signatures come from Connecticut residents.
@FPvarsityhockey
#cthk

protest.png

GHS [GREENWICH HIGH SCHOOL] girls basketball players traveled to CIAC headquarters in Cheshire to protest the decision to cancel winter tournaments. Contributed photo

In addition to the petition, a protest against the decision to cancel winter games is scheduled for Wednesday at 10:00am at 30 Realty Drive in Cheshire, at the offices of the CIAC.

CIACprotest@CiaCprotest

PROTEST TOMORROW MORNING AT CIAC HQ IN CHESHIRE AT 10:30 AM. #cthk #ctbb #ctgb

5:31 PM - Mar 10, 2020

Morning sportscaster and co-host on the WTIC Morning Show Joe D’Ambrosio Tweeted on Wednesday morning quoted Lungarini saying the CIAC decision is irrevocable.

Joe D'Ambrosio

✔@JoeDSports

Just had @ciacsports executive director Glenn Lungarini on @WTIC1080 ..He says ,barring any new information from @GovNedLamont on the coronoavirus, the decision to cancel the winter sports tournaments is irrevocable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The drive through testing site in Greenwich has been hit by long lines and now a total lack of swabbing supplies. Staff don't have adequate protective gear either.

Further, the State Board of Health Senior Doctor when questioned by the Press about the incident in Westport Ct where a person with COVID19 attended a party with over 20 people and then fled the country, HAD NO IDEA THAT THIS HAD HAPPENED! Westport, CT is now a hotspot with over 20 cases and the BOARD OF HEALTH IN HARTFORD HAD NO CLUE! Just another example IMO of Hartford myopia and lack of attention to anything having to do with Southern CT/Fairfield County. Hotspot event had occurred in Westport yet Hartford had NO CLUE!

Westport Coronavirus: 20 Test Positive; Emergency Declared
20 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases in Westport: First Selectman

The situation in CT is IMO so bad that its like watching a train wreck in slow motion as State Officials seem powerless to DO ANYTHING to keep residents safe. The lack of protective gear for front line workers IMO is unconscionable as is ongoing inaction from the State Representatives in Washington to get supplies from strategic reserves. Why can't federal resources from the strategic stockpile be made available to keep front line workers SAFE? Where are Senator's Blumenthal and Murphy on this issue? Have they toured Greenwich Hospital and seen the remote testing scene fiasco? Why can't the swab kits be sourced from strategic supplies? Why aren't front line workers being given protective gear and yes this mean valet attendants greeting emergency room personnel and security staff in ER who AREN'T GIVEN PROTECTIVE GEAR!

If swabbing kits can't be found in the US then WHY NOT IMPORT THEM from South Korea and China? To listen to Gov. Lamont moan about no testing capacity has to be one of the most absolutely pathetic actions by a politician that I've seen in awhile. Gov. Lamont and his team have had since December to prepare for COVID19 and so far as I can tell having listened to all the conferences, it appears they did little to nothing to prepare. Now the plan seems to be to moan about the state of affairs and beg Washington for assistance. Meanwhile people in CT are getting sick in increasing numbers and no plans appear to be in place for additional hospital capacity or quarantine centers. No leadership seems to be forthcoming from Hartford and so it seems the residents of the State are simply on their own to cope the best that they can. Scary stuff IMO.

To have been following the situation in Italy daily from its inception and realising that the window of opportunity CT had to do something has now been BLOWN is one of the hardest things I've had to watch as we know how this story will end. Gov Cuomo IMO on behalf of the citizens of NEW YORK is fighting the good fight to try and flatten the curve and to prepare for the inevitable onslaught of cases that are coming, BUT CT ISN'T FOLLOWING SUIT.

Gov. Lamont and his team continue to just IMO go through the motions and react to events but nothing is changing and leadership has been absent. I don't know why the Head of the Board of Health hasn't handed in his resignation as his decision to not prepare the testing starting back in December 2019 is IMO akin to criminally negligent homicide as the State hasn't been able to do more than 150 tests in total with its 2 workers in the State Lab. CT has a population of 3.5 million and the situation with the State Lab is wholly inadequate. Private testing is slowly coming on board but the execution is uneven and poor IMO and now the swabbing materials are in short supply and many people can't get the required Dr's note to even wait in line for hours to possibly get swabbed. Where are the quarantine facilities and what provisions have been made to increase hospital beds when things get bad? Are any plans in place to convert schools to hospitals or quarantine facilities. Will the people in the Southern part of the State simply be left to die at home due to lack of medical facilities? Right now, this seems to be the plan that Hartford has in place for Southern CT and its not any different IMO from the prior guidance where 'if you have a fever and a cough then you have COVID19 and please stay at home' which is the existing advice from the Hartford Board of Health Director Doctor! Stunning Stuff IMO to have happen in US.

Simply no words for what I'm watching play out on the ground in CT less than 50 miles from Midtown Manhattan as it feels more like North Korea here than anyplace else on earth.

MOO

Last edited:
Over 220 cases in Ireland and further travel restrictions in Europe: Today's main Covid-19 points

YESTERDAY, THERE WERE 54 new cases of Covid-19 announced in the Republic of Ireland.

There are now 223 confirmed cases in the Republic. Seven new cases were announced in Northern Ireland yesterday bringing the total number there to 52.

This means there are 275 confirmed cases on the island of Ireland.

The number of deaths associated with Covid-19 in the Republic of Ireland is still two.

Elsewhere around the world, British prime minister Boris Johnson urged people to avoid non-essential contact and all unnecessary travel.

Here are today’s main Covid-19 points:

• There are now 223 coronavirus cases in the Republic, up from 169 on Sunday.
  • 41 of yesterday’s 54 new cases are associated with the east of Ireland.
  • Dr Tony Holohan said early modelling indicates we should expect 78 new cases today, 109 cases on Wednesday and a daily number of 355 cases by Sunday.
  • There are now five hospital sites around the country providing testing, with more expected this week.
  • The government expects around 15,000 cases in Ireland by the end of the month.
  • Emergency legislation will be published by the government today to give it powers including prohibiting some events and mass gatherings, imposing travel restrictions, and detaining and isolating people who are possible sources of Covid-19 if they don’t submit to self-isolation.
  • A massive recruitment drive is set to begin today across the Irish health service.
  • Croke Park is to be turned into a Covid-19 testing facility, residents around the stadium have been told.
  • Gardaí have showcased a number of cars it has hired to enforce its fleet of vehicles in the wake of the outbreak.
  • Trinity College Dublin students who are living on campus were ordered to leave their accommodations due to the Covid-19 outbreak. There are “at least” eight confirmed cases in the college.
  • Just Eat has said it will have contactless payments and contactless delivery on its orders from now on to abide by HSE recommendations for social distancing.

Good morning to all. I have just turned the coffee pot on.....Yall help yourselves to some nice hot coffee........Who ate the last do-nut ?..........moo

*wiping sugar from mouth* oops sorry, that would be me. Insert Homer Simpson voice here: Mmmm doughnuts....
Seriously, though - a coffee morning and idle chitchat sounds heavenly right now.

Latest on coronavirus in Scotland - BBC News

Summary
  1. Stringent new measures are now in force throughout the UK to slow the impact of the coronavirus
  2. One person has died in Scotland and 171 have tested positive
  3. First Minster Nicola Sturgeon told BBC Radio Scotland that she was hiding nothing from the public on the coronavirus pandemic
  4. Later the Health Secretary Jeane Freeman will update MSPs in parliament on Covid-19

Olympic organisers in Japan are asking people not to create crowds along the route of the Olympic torch relay and not to gather near the route if they feel sick.

The introduction of new rules which radically change the way in which the tradition unfolds come amid continuing uncertainty about whether the Tokyo Olympics will even take place or not.

Coronavirus news: UK measures to last at least 'several months' as restrictions increased globally – live updates

This is absolute insanity. The Olympics needs to be postponed.

snipped... This is absolute insanity. The Olympics needs to be postponed.

Everything else is being postponed. There's so much stress in everyday life right now that it's hard to enjoy anything. We just need to get into those sci-fi pods I was talking about before and sleep in our isolation sleep pods until it's over. Wake up and be shocked to find a bunch of toilet paper you stockpiled all for nothing. The threat has passed and the groceries shelves are full again. Kids back to school and people smiling on their way to work.

Speaking of sleep...Good Night Folks.

Not for the first time am I grateful to work remotely. It’s a beautiful morning. The sun is shining, it’s peaceful but for the sound of snoring cats and birdsong. I will need to leave the house for a couple of hours tomorrow but plan to leave early and be back well before midday. I am then self-isolating myself for safety. This thread is becoming a real lifeline - if we have to go through this, I'm glad (not the right word, but you know what I mean) we have each other to vent/learn from/lean on.
Those of you who are going out today - stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Child in Time