Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the Bush day, the IRS. Taxpayers received, best I remember, it was two.

They can issue faster than the state. Social Security said it would delay all SSI and SSA, if they had issue. The Unemployment system does not have the software capability. It would take to long to set up new division design software, and try to hire and train staff, who would have to work form home, due to the new 10 person rule.
Moo...

Actually, they could issue them quickly under FEMA.

Doing it the way they're saying, if its the way Bush did it, is harmful to your long term Social Security benefits. That's why some choose this method, it reduces Social Security payments to retirees.

Regarding clothes, how is it in the US and the UK (and other countries too) with the clothes/uniforms that the staff at hospital wear, is the laundry of those clothes done by the employer, or do the employees have to do the laundry? Here in Sweden the hospitals do the laundry, I only have to drop my work clothes off when I finish for the day, and pick up new fresh clothes at the beginning of my shift.

Well our governor just held a press meeting. Authorizing all pre through 12 schools to remain closed for the remainder of the 2019/20 school year.

I get it I really do. I’m glad kids are safe. I’m not going to lie but I’m not ready for this. I need prepared for this stuff. Summer is hard for for my kiddo with nonverbal autism. Christmas is hard. Summer is really hard for her what’s this going to do idk , plus the 4 almost 5 yr also goes all day and he is driving me nuts about when is school starting. Don’t judge me people but I almost want to cry again I get it but I’m a little panicked to.

It's understandable to feel overwhelmed when we aren't given much time to prepare. I would never judge you, everyone is feeling somewhat overwhelmed right now. Do you have a support network? Can you reach out to someone while you put in place some structure and a routine?

I personally think the statistics for the virus will never be realistic. As @Hatfield has said, there will be so many people that never get tested; and so many people will not want to be labeled. If they are not "at risk", they may not get tested. If they don't have symptoms, they may never get tested. If they get symptoms, but are mild, they may never get tested. This crisis will be ever-lasting in the effects that it will have on the economy and the financial status of so many people. I am not saying that loss of life should be minimized, but I don't know if we will ever truly understand the statistics of a virus like this.

Agree, as a self employed over 60 yr old with no health insurance I won’t be heading to a hospital!

And TP!
I know it is absolutely horrendous. I’ve spent months and months in hospital over the years and desperately watched the clock every day for visiting time. Seeing my parents and family was the only thing keeping me going.

The only positive is that it will stop some people stealing hand sanitizer.

KANSAS

Kansas Governor Laura Kelly has just announced that all K-12 schools in the state are closed through the end of the year. #CoronavirusPandemic #COVID19 #Kansas
Craig Nigrelli KAKE on Twitter

My son and his new wife (married this last Saturday!) both work for the bus company that transports students and now both out of a job. Just. Like. That.

Not yet, everyone has been calling and they refuse to comment on whether an employee trsted positive or not.
It'll probably be the lead story in the news in a day or two.
It's 2 miles away from the Liberty Square Church where many were exposed, so there is a good chance many shop at that WalMart.
Moo
Where is this? I want to make sure I steer clear.

Henry, if you come across news about mandatory testing will you please post it? All I have heard from the press conferences is that those who don’t feel sick shouldn’t be tested but a friend told me that the U.S. is considering mandatory testing for everyone. Strange to me, since there aren’t that many testing kits.

That's a pipe dream. There are 300 million of us. And what, something like 30,000 test kits? And we only had 7000 kits until last week? The kits that came to California were missing pieces. Trump disbanded pandemic planning in 2018. The CDC has been on about this since early February (we now know the first cases of this virus hit the US in late January).

California is supposed to be building its own test kits, hopefully the states will step up

I sit here wondering if I have it or have had it. My daughter (a nurse) was very ill in late January (after travel). It's so hard to know - we aren't able to be tested. Meanwhile, it's interesting watching the teenagers in the neighborhood go be social and hang out.

CT - Testing is finally making some headway in CT!

Yale New Haven opened a mobile testing facility

YNHH Opens 1st Drive-Thru Testing Center | New Haven Independent

Quotes from article:

(Updated at 1:45 p.m.) Yale New Haven Hospital has established its first local testing and specimen collection center on Long Wharf where, only with a doctor’s order and a previously scheduled appointment, patients can be tested for a variety of respiratory viruses, includingthe novel coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic.

Once they receive permission, patients can now pull into a parking lot, drive up to a tent where nurses in purple masks and blue scrubs ask for their information, then continue on to another tent where technicians in full protective gear, including gowns, gloves and face shields, take a swab that will be sent off for processing.

YNHH spokesperson Mark D’Antonio announced the opening of that Specimen Collection Station in a Tuesday morning email press release.

The local station is located at 150 Sargent Dr., and will be open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The regional hospital system also opened on Tuesday a specimen collection stations at Bridgeport Hospital - Ahlbin Center garage, 226 Mill Hill Ave. in Bridgeport, which will be open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

And it opened a third new collection site at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital - Parking lot A at 365 Montauk Ave. in New London, which will be open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. 5 p.m., weekend times to be determined.

Those three new testing sites join a fourth site that YNHH opened in Greenwich last week at Greenwich Hospital in the lower level physician parking lot off of Lake Avenue, which is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“To protect patients and healthcare workers, Yale New Haven Hospital has established a Specimen Collection Station that will collect specimens only from individuals with a physician order,” D’Antonio wrote in Tuesday’s press release. “At the request of the physician and with an appropriate physician order, the patient can be tested for a number of respiratory viruses, potentially including COVID-19.

“Patients will receive results from their physician once the tests are processed and completed – test processing does not take place in this station. Yale New Haven Hospital established the station as a precautionary measure to safeguard the health of our patients and healthcare workers by limiting their exposure to individuals experiencing symptoms.”

High blood pressure medications often include a diuretic which is why potassium supplement is also often prescribed.

JMO
One reason for the diuretics for hypertensive patients is that they often also have some degree of heart and/or kidney failure too, besides the high blood pressure, especially among the older patients.

Charleston, SC
Local for me. This story is 9 hours old ( I am way behind today)-
A patient here visiting (or right off the cruise ship that docked and unloaded here a day or two ago) left before the test results came back. Spreading it. Health care workers were also exposed and are now being monitored-"for their health and well being"
Roper St. Francis: 1 current, 1 former patient test positive for COVID-19
Roper St. Francis: 1 current, 1 former patient test positive for COVID-19
JMO

WASHINGTON

Today, I signed 5 bills that will help our state respond to COVID-19.
The first allocates $200 million to:
☑️ increase hospital capacity
☑️ expand testing
☑️ provide resources to local and tribal health orgs
☑️ better care for our most vulnerable

I also signed bills that:
☑️ make it easier for WA to hire health care workers
☑️ expand telehealth options for crisis responders
☑️ allow state and school employees flexibility in their leave
☑️ let hourly school employees maintain benefits during closures

Governor Jay Inslee on Twitter

My husband had to pick up his new hearing aids at Costco here in Colorado Springs today. Rather than have him shop afterward, I shopped while he had them adjusted. It was a surprisingly civilized experience. People kept their distance and the store was busy but not packed. The grocery selection was good. The cashier said it was mobbed this weekend but they had done some restocking. At the entrance to the store, there was a list of things they were out of. There was signage throughout the store reminding people to keep their distance. I made a point of thanking the associates for working. Customers seemed to be serious but not stressed.

People sure see the world through their own lens. Man friends brother bought 2 guns and ammo he says he fears "the breakdown of society". I am practicing sheltering in place so that when I have to I will already be used to it- haven't been out for 3 days and have no plans to be out. Hoping everyone here stays safe and well- you are a tremendous group of peeps!!!!

I don't have time to watch the video, but am assuming the hiring is still at low wage with poor benefits, if any. Why would someone work there and risk getting COVID 19, but have no health insurance coverage? They would end up homeless and bankrupt.

I, and many others, make less than Amazon workers per hour. We work for companies that employ over 500, so not part of the paid leave bill at the moment- they are expecting the big companies to pay. We are all still expected to come to work right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot