Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great question. And when do we decide it is okay to see our senior friends and family.

The thing is - the risk will be the same or increasing as time goes on. You can stay isolated, but when people finally start life up again, we seniors will be back at the same risk point. Hopefully, we're flattening the curve so that we don't all end up in hospital at the same time.

Unless something dramatic happens on the vaccine front, many seniors will catch CoVid19 later rather than sooner. I keep joking that it would be better for me to get it now (when I'm able stay home from work) but as it turns out, I don't have to return to work...for an indefinite period of time, due to my age.

Top New York City cancer hospital has just one week's supply of masks left as five staff members and three patients test positive for coronavirus

Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City hast just one week's supply of masks left, according to BuzzFeed News.

Politicians and health experts have been asking the general public and other companies to donate their supply of masks to hospitals because doctors and nurses battling coronavirus on the front lines need them the most.

Top US cancer hospital has a week's worth of masks left as five staff members contract coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Oh no. That is horrible news....

Woolworths introduces strict limits on everything in store amid virus panic

wow that is quite severe, only 2 items per category per person per shop

As a result, Woolworths will be adopting a new system, it said today in a statement.

“As the situation continues to evolve, we’ve made some further changes to the maximum number of products customers can buy, in addition to any other limits already in place,” it reads.

“There is now a per customer, per shop limit of two items from any single category on most packaged products across Woolworths Supermarkets and Metro stores and online. This means customers will only be able to buy two products from any single included category, regardless of the brand or variety. There are some exceptions where no limits remain, such as fruit and vegetables, fresh milk and baby food.”
Fresh fruit and vegetables have been placed into the new “no limit” category along with meat (excluding mince), deli, bakery, seafood, fresh milk canned fish and drinks. Baby food also has no buying limits as well as cat and dog food and yoghurts. You can also buy unlimited amounts of Easter confectionery & merchandise.

One item limits remain on antibacterial wipes, baby wipes, paper towels, rice (2kg and above), serviettes and toilet paper.

Everything else falls under the two items per person rule.

Woolworth’s! Wow, those left Colorado in the 80’s if not sooner
Had no idea any still existed, the lunch counter as a kid was a highlight in downtown Colorado Springs

Actually, they could issue them quickly under FEMA.

Doing it the way they're saying, if its the way Bush did it, is harmful to your long term Social Security benefits. That's why some choose this method, it reduces Social Security payments to retirees.

The stimulus package I referred to was a rebate on the first $6,000 on your tax and it was like a fixed rate and a flat rate check. The current package passed by the House is to replace income for job loss.

Did the Bush Economic Stimulus Package Work?

[snipped] ....eliminated taxes on the first $6,000 of taxable income for individuals and the first $12,000 of income for couples

• Individuals would receive up to $600.
  • Married couples would get up to $1,200.
  • Those with children would be sent $300 per dependent child.

I really feel for all the people who have loved ones in care and cannot visit them. I know it’s imperative right now to keep them protected from the virus.
The visitors and interaction are what keep the spirits up for so many of these people.:(
Thank Goodness I flew up to visit my 89 yr old Mom last week. It was her birthday and my brother was out of state visiting grandchild. We didn't want her to celebrate all alone.

The day I was leaving her, the Assisted Living Center announced that all visitation was to cease. And the residents were to stay in their apartments and not come to the community areas to eat or visit.

So she is alone, although the front desk answers all calls if she is in distress. But I think she is lonely because she usually eats dinner downstairs with her friends.

I am so glad I spent that last week with her, and took her to the market to fill up her cupboards. But I wish she could have visitors because any brother and his wife live close by and used to visit her every weekend or more.:(

It would be very weird to mandate testing, there’s no treatment for it.
And: per Dr. Birx:
Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing | The White House
This epidemic will be stopped at the community level. Those are the individuals — it’s Americans and their response that will get us over this hump. And that’s why, yes, we’ll have testing available.
Let’s remind all of us most respiratory diseases are contagious.

So if you have any respiratory symptoms, you want to protect yourself and treat yourself, but you also want to protect others. And so let’s everyone assume, when they have a respiratory illness, that you have a contagious illness because if it isn’t allergies, it’s contagious. And let’s use those precautions across the board, and let’s — when you get a negative test, that means you’re negative that day. That doesn’t mean that you couldn’t get the virus spreading overnight, because it replicates in your nose and your nasal secretions, and you would have a positive test tomorrow
That’s exactly what I heard them say. If it changed, I wanted to know. Thanks.
That's a pipe dream. There are 300 million of us. And what, something like 30,000 test kits? And we only had 7000 kits until last week? The kits that came to California were missing pieces. Trump disbanded pandemic planning in 2018. The CDC has been on about this since early February (we now know the first cases of this virus hit the US in late January).

California is supposed to be building its own test kits, hopefully the states will step up

I sit here wondering if I have it or have had it. My daughter (a nurse) was very ill in late January (after travel). It's so hard to know - we aren't able to be tested. Meanwhile, it's interesting watching the teenagers in the neighborhood go be social and hang out.
I am not so sure testing everyone is what should even happen. If 300 million test kits were available and we all tested negative, what about next month when we got the virus? Would we expect them to have 300 million more test kits? I am not blaming anyone for this. Except possibly China. That’s on the remote possibility this was man made in the lab in Wuhan. That’s a subject we shouldn’t even discuss because of the many opinions. I’m just saying I don’t blame the politicians for being optimistic and hoping it wouldn’t be so bad. It’s just all so sad.

So, I don't post much, but i try to read and follow along as much as I can and have learned so much from all of you. I work in Psych NP role out of a ED and we implemented some serious measures over the weekend. Worked yesterday and it was like a different world... eerie really... 1 visitor max in 24 hr period per pt and that will likely change to none soon... mask at all times within hospital (masks don't mix well with coffee addictiono_O, but less coffee will not be a bad thing... looking to make lemonade out of lemons)... no elective surgeries... much less activity in hospital, but it feels eerie. Weird/uncomfortable energy in the air... i am sure everyone realizes that it is the calm before the storm and the storm will last for a while....

I keep thinking that the potential mental health impact of this pandemic cannot be overstated and wanted to just tell you that i am in awe of all of you as you take such good care of eachother. This goes such a long way and will become more and more important as this progresses. Please continue to do this for eachother as it has potential to save lives.

The possible 20% unemployment to come was the biggest eye-opener today.
I've been thinking a lot about how this will change the world. Yesterday I told a friend who is just starting to wrap her head around it that this will end up being as significant as the Great Depression. I think our society is going to change dramatically in the next couple years as we deal with the virus and the fallout from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot