Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #29

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Small rural communities don't always have online pickup.

But I agree, online delivery/pick up is the way to go.
Moo...
Where I live, no Pick up at any of the box stores, or even the local ones and no delivery. Can order from various sources but we pay a hefty shipping surcharge, even for items that ship for free. Amazon prime is the only exception and takes about five days

I'm guess tax payers, not sure about Social Securtiy, SSI and TANF.

We do not have any details, "they" are working on who qualifies and how to quickly distribute the funds.

No, exact dollar amount, yet. President says AT LEAST 1k. Don't know if per person or household.

Moo... watching for details diligently, @Henry2326 is on this for sure!!!!
I wouldn’t think SSI, SSA recipients experienced any loss of income, or incurred added expenses, would you?
If the feds can’t get the money out soon maybe they can send out food stamp cards for $1k. Moo

Hey guys...just checking in. First official day of my husband working from home...he went to work yesterday to gather his equipment and came home from work early yesterday to get it all set up. He is in the I.T. field so the transition for him shouldn't be too bad. For him. For me, I'm used to having the house all to myself so it's been different having both my daughter and my husband home with me. My daughter's on March Break for now...she has at least 2 weeks off school after that. The questions are starting, like "Are we still going to see the Easter Bunny at the mall?" and "Are we still going out for dinner and to see a movie on my birthday?" I don't think I was ready for that. It must be so hard for children. Thank goodness I'm somewhat prepared for the occasions and she won't end up with cheese slices in her Easter basket and cans of soup wrapped up for her birthday. I'm going to try to get used to the new normal and keep things fun for her as we adapt to this new way of life. My elderly mom emails me every night (we live in different provinces) and last night she wrote that she hopes I'm staying safe in quarantine and that she misses me. I'm not in quarantine, just social distancing...aka staying put until it's safe to do otherwise. Mom and Dad are constantly on my mind...they went shopping and couldn't find much. I wish I was there to fill up their cupboards and fridge so they would just stay put. I only get to see them once a year and I've had to cancel my trip. Up until now, I've been trying to focus on numbers, and statistics and graphs but this is too real for me right now. Sorry for venting, I just don't really have anywhere else to say this stuff. I hope you all are keeping safe, healthy, and strong.
Thank you so much for your heartfelt post, it wasn’t a rant at all it was very sweet. I love that you are so aware how hard this is for not only adults but children, who absolutely don’t understand why their life has been put on hold. And I hope your parents can keep stocked up on the supplies, it’s really a shame that some people have bought out the Supplies in stores in large quantities at the expense of others. It’s interesting when you look at a country like Japan where that would never happen, & no looting, because there the individual is not the most important thing, it is the group. Society as a whole.

Hopefully this health and societal challenge will help us as a country to get closer to that kind of viewpoint.
Thanks again, I really liked your post & I’m glad that your girls will have a nice Easter (Reminds me I haven’t bought anything for my grandkids for Easter yet, I need to do that, also the youngest is going to have her birthday the day before Easter and hoping we can still make it somewhat special for her :)

Thank you, but I don't mod, I have enough stress in my life, my job is to keep the forums organized and clean, but to tell you the truth, I have been very consumed with what has been going on with coronavirus since mid-January (when my daughter flew home from southeast Asia) that I have neglected posting new cases, have no idea what is going on with other missing persons cases I've been following, I feel awful.

On that note, I haven't been around the past day or so because so many things have been happening at work.

First, I dropped my phone in a puddle yesterday morning getting out of the car coming into work, after I retraced my steps I found it. As such, a new phone will be coming on Saturday. So I'm phoneless during this crisis with both my daughters living out of state in New York and Florida. Luckily, they are sheltering in place and working from home, my daughter sent me a picture of her on the streets of New York City wearing a hat, surgical gloves, and an N95 mask. I love them.

As far as my (real) job is concerned, all work has just about stopped. Managers have left to keep the amount of people low in the office. Some support staff are left, others took work home and we are going to a skeleton crew. My company has decided to shut down for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. They just advised us to come in yesterday and today to wrap up everything we are working on. They are offering to pay us a full salary for the next 2 weeks. After that they will re-evaluate and if the situation is the same or worse, we will all have to file for unemployment.

Yesterday, I was told that a manager's daughter's boyfriend has the virus, the daughter has symptoms, and the manager was in contact with both. Did he self-isolate? NO! He walked into the office yesterday, freaked everyone out to the point where HR had to tell him to go home. He had been in my office, touching my files, he was all over everything the last 3 days. He was not happy, screaming how he shouldn't be forced to go home, he does not have any symptoms, this is all overblown by the media ... yada, yada, yada. How many other people are walking around thinking the same? Makes me shudder.

I've never had 2 weeks off in a row (even for a vacation). My husband is disabled and more of a homebody, so I don't have to worry about him. The two of us have decided we are going to take a ride to the beach each day, bring the dog, and take a walk, just to get out of the house until isolation is mandatory. We thought that would be good to do, no worries about running into other people at this time of year.

I just feel so defeated. I cry every day, angry that no one in governmental authority, or friends, family, my boss, took this seriously. I feel so bad, tried to warn people 2 months ago.

I also cry whenever I hear about the "old people". I want to donate my time and even my own money to help whoever is out there, alone, scared, and/or unable to leave home - to help them in whatever way I can. Does anyone know of any place I can reach out to? Sometimes, I thank God that my parents have since passed, I don't have to worry about their health or whether or not they have eaten, if they have enough food. Geez, I'm crying again.

In the meantime, for the next 2 weeks or so, I'll be in and out here. I have no clue what went on yesterday in the world, other than a possible $1,000 each from the government, taxes are delayed 90 days, and that they were threatening to shut down NYC and Hoboken, NJ.

Sorry for rambling, but thanks for letting me "talk" it out here.

P.S. I just saw an email from work, sent at 11:45pm LAST NIGHT that a tenant on the 20th-floor of 225 Liberty in NYC (our NY office in the Freedom Tower) has been confirmed with coronovirus and that NO ONE from our office is to report to work today until further notice.

Take care everyone.

Huge hugs! This whole Corona thing sucks. All of it. We are here to listen anytime. XXOO

i think we should restrict shopping by zip ( USA ) or post code ( Australia )

that way you don't have people like the douche who cleaned up all the anti bacterial roaming around hoarding products

this would ensure locals were getting to the stock and it would keep people to their own areas, stock levels would probably stabilize as well because right now people are going everywhere to find whatever they want and some people are visiting multi stores per day to get around restrictions

Yes, there are many single parents out there who have no choice in the matter.

I do understand, single mom. We must help them find ways to connect with others, FB, neighborhood groups, etc. Its gonna be really hard for folks who don't seek friendship/partnership with neighbours.

What if mom has an emergency or becomes sick? Taking kids out puts all at risk. What happens when the HD calls and the kids are under self/ mandatory quarantine? What if one in family is diagnosis positive, then MOM is on lockdown with sick kids and no back up resource?

All parents MUST start thinking of a plan and develop it, available options and help each other. Nobody's gonna come rescue them.

I've seen several single parents make statements on FB. Then I look at their page and they have 400 plus friends.

Moo....

Last edited:
You are forgetting that these parents may face charges and losing their children if they leave them home alone. Please, before you complain, check the law! Don't complain about the parents. Complain about the laws that force the parents to have their children accompany them while shopping.

According to the Illinois General Assembly, current state law says parents can face neglect charges for leaving children under the age of 14 "without supervision for an unreasonable period without regard for the mental or physical health, safety, or welfare of that minor.

Home Alone Rules by State - iMom
I don't think we are forgetting anything.
The current situation is dire.....THE HOSPITAL SYSTEM IS GOING TO IMPLODE ESPECIALLY IN ILLINOIS!!
PLEASE PEOPLE LISTEN TO THE WARNINGS!!

i think we should restrict shopping by zip ( USA ) or post code ( Australia )

that way you don't have people like the douche who cleaned up all the anti bacterial roaming around hoarding products

this would ensure locals were getting to the stock and it would keep people to their own areas, stock levels would probably stabilize as well because right now people are going everywhere to find whatever they want and some people are visiting multi stores per day to get around restrictions
And even then unfortunately some would buy up more than they need... so do we do vouchers? Do we become a communist country where everything is regulated?
Scary, isn’t it?

YES, your mother is available for work. Unemployment doesn't ask if there are jobs available.

Most states require a person apply for two jobs per week. You can do this on line. Lets face no ones gonna call about interviews during the outbreak.

I think they will temporarily suspend this requirement. I think Virginia did back in 2009 when out unemployment was double digits.

Moo

I read that when filing for unemployment, if the job loss is temporary, such as us school bus drivers who can go back to work when school resumes, our availability to return to our job counts for the weekly job search requirements.

Thank you, but I don't mod, I have enough stress in my life, my job is to keep the forums organized and clean, but to tell you the truth, I have been very consumed with what has been going on with coronavirus since mid-January (when my daughter flew home from southeast Asia) that I have neglected posting new cases, have no idea what is going on with other missing persons cases I've been following, I feel awful.

On that note, I haven't been around the past day or so because so many things have been happening at work.

First, I dropped my phone in a puddle yesterday morning getting out of the car coming into work, after I retraced my steps I found it. As such, a new phone will be coming on Saturday. So I'm phoneless during this crisis with both my daughters living out of state in New York and Florida. Luckily, they are sheltering in place and working from home, my daughter sent me a picture of her on the streets of New York City wearing a hat, surgical gloves, and an N95 mask. I love them.

As far as my (real) job is concerned, all work has just about stopped. Managers have left to keep the amount of people low in the office. Some support staff are left, others took work home and we are going to a skeleton crew. My company has decided to shut down for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. They just advised us to come in yesterday and today to wrap up everything we are working on. They are offering to pay us a full salary for the next 2 weeks. After that they will re-evaluate and if the situation is the same or worse, we will all have to file for unemployment.

Yesterday, I was told that a manager's daughter's boyfriend has the virus, the daughter has symptoms, and the manager was in contact with both. Did he self-isolate? NO! He walked into the office yesterday, freaked everyone out to the point where HR had to tell him to go home. He had been in my office, touching my files, he was all over everything the last 3 days. He was not happy, screaming how he shouldn't be forced to go home, he does not have any symptoms, this is all overblown by the media ... yada, yada, yada. How many other people are walking around thinking the same? Makes me shudder.

I've never had 2 weeks off in a row (even for a vacation). My husband is disabled and more of a homebody, so I don't have to worry about him. The two of us have decided we are going to take a ride to the beach each day, bring the dog, and take a walk, just to get out of the house until isolation is mandatory. We thought that would be good to do, no worries about running into other people at this time of year.

I just feel so defeated. I cry every day, angry that no one in governmental authority, or friends, family, my boss, took this seriously. I feel so bad, tried to warn people 2 months ago.

I also cry whenever I hear about the "old people". I want to donate my time and even my own money to help whoever is out there, alone, scared, and/or unable to leave home - to help them in whatever way I can. Does anyone know of any place I can reach out to? Sometimes, I thank God that my parents have since passed, I don't have to worry about their health or whether or not they have eaten, if they have enough food. Geez, I'm crying again.

In the meantime, for the next 2 weeks or so, I'll be in and out here. I have no clue what went on yesterday in the world, other than a possible $1,000 each from the government, taxes are delayed 90 days, and that they were threatening to shut down NYC and Hoboken, NJ.

Sorry for rambling, but thanks for letting me "talk" it out here.

P.S. I just saw an email from work, sent at 11:45pm LAST NIGHT that a tenant on the 20th-floor of 225 Liberty in NYC (our NY office in the Freedom Tower) has been confirmed with coronovirus and that NO ONE from our office is to report to work today until further notice.

Take care everyone.
Hang in there and thanks for what you do. I think we are acting quickly now and today's video from the UK doctor made me feel better that maybe we are getting a handle on it. I talked to my 92 year old aunt in Ohio and she said she didn't realize this was coming. I felt bad because I have been watching this thread since pretty much the beginning and I could see it was coming. It was frustrating because all they talked about in MSM was the upcoming elections. And meanwhile, while we were sleeping.... The beach walks will do you good. I have been going to a local botanical garden everyday and it helps me calm down. They state they are staying open. Members have a card that you hold up and they scan at the gate and they aren't selling any cash tickets to nonmembers. If you want to go you have to purchase online and then hold your electronic receipt up to be scanned. Hope they stay open. Stay safe and take a breath!

Thank you for understanding, and for caring. This is such a tough time for everyone. I truly believe that the only way to get through this is to stick together (from a safe distance though!). I'm sure your grandkids will appreciate everything you are able to do for them...I think it's important to make everything as normal as we can for the kids. Their whole world has been turned upside down in such a short period of time and we've got to give them some security, lots and lots of love and understanding.

Thank you so much for your heartfelt post, it wasn’t a rant at all it was very sweet. I love that you are so aware how hard this is for not only adults but children, who absolutely don’t understand why their life has been put on hold. And I hope your parents can keep stocked up on the supplies, it’s really a shame that some people have bought out the Supplies in stores in large quantities at the expense of others. It’s interesting when you look at a country like Japan where that would never happen, & no looting, because there the individual is not the most important thing, it is the group. Society as a whole.

Hopefully this health and societal challenge will help us as a country to get closer to that kind of viewpoint.
Thanks again, I really liked your post & I’m glad that your girls will have a nice Easter (Reminds me I haven’t bought anything for my grandkids for Easter yet, I need to do that, also the youngest is going to have her birthday the day before Easter and hoping we can still make it somewhat special for her :)

Do we become a communist country where everything is regulated?
Scary, isn’t it?

nah not really, its just trying to figure out how to help fix this issue, including we don't want people traveling around too much right now anyways, so keeping people to their local shops would kill two birds with one stone

i dont think we need voucher and you wouldn't remove limits, but having people keep to their local stores would avoid a bunch of issues already happening

i have 5 within my suburb its not like you'll be restricted to 1 place i mean you'd still have choice within your post code

TO MY POINT....taking children to the grocery is going to be the least of your worries...

The Latest: Illinois governor activates National Guard to fight coronavirus outbreak

Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker has activated the National Guard to help the state fight the coronavirus outbreak. On Tuesday, Illinois recorded its first COVID-19 related death.

Pritzker will talk Wednesday morning about the number of cases growing by the day.

In the last few days, three positive cases have been confirmed in the Metro East. The latest is a man in his 30s from Madison County. He recently traveled and has been self-quarantined after returning home from Europe.

Then a few days ago, two women in St. Clair County tested positive for COVID-19. One woman is in her 60s and the other in her 70s. Both women traveled abroad and are also quarantined.

As of Wednesday morning, Illinois has 160 positive cases in 1,500 tested and one death. In Missouri, there are 15 positive cases of 266 tested.

The Latest: Illinois governor activates National Guard to fight coronavirus outbreak

So what should families and children do — or not do — during this time?

Some experts say it’s best to keep kids at home, but that’s going to vary depending on personal situations and parents’ comfort levels.

“It’s complicated,” said Dr. Paul Cook, chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at East Carolina University’s Brody School of Medicine. “Kids can likely transmit the infection to other people even if they do not have symptoms.”

Cook said as North Carolina gets more cases, it is more likely that transmission will be more likely between kids, and between kids and their caretakers.

“I am not trying to spread hysteria,” Cook said, “but these are difficult times.”

CAN MY KID PLAY OUTSIDE WITH FRIENDS?

Playing outside is a relatively low risk, but it’s not zero risk, according to Cook. Kids need to wash their hands with soap and water, which will be more important for young children who are more likely to pick their nose and spread germs, he said.

If kids are sick, they shouldn’t play with others. Children with confirmed cases of COVID-19 have generally had mild cold-like symptoms, including fever, runny nose and cough.

The CDC also discourages children and teens from gathering in public places.

She recommends having kids play independently at playgrounds if they can, using hand sanitizer frequently while at parks and changing kids clothes and washing their hands once they get home.

“This is the new coronavirus so we don’t have a ton of experience to be able to give hard and fast best practice guidelines,” Johns said. “That being said, as a pediatrician, one of the things I always remind myself is young kids and toddlers … do all of the things that we are explicitly being told not to do right now.”

That means parents need to be vigilant about the environments their kids are in to try to keep them as safe as possible, she said.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241226456.html#storylink=cpy

Thank you for understanding, and for caring. This is such a tough time for everyone. I truly believe that the only way to get through this is to stick together (from a safe distance though!). I'm sure your grandkids will appreciate everything you are able to do for them...I think it's important to make everything as normal as we can for the kids. Their whole world has been turned upside down in such a short period of time and we've got to give them some security, lots and lots of love and understanding.
Luckily one thing that’s available for us here in HI is to play outdoors (Although all our county parks are closed, makes no sense to me) but we have lovely beaches (Which are state owned and are open, and many of them not crowded at all, plenty of room to spread out) and usually the weather’s super nice and warm .... but we’ve been having rain and thunderstorms which hasn’t helped the matter any LOL. I Took the oldest ones, two boys to the beach today and we had about a half an hour of them playing in the waves & bodyboarding until the weather got really really nasty. We were in front of the resort and they lost power but we made a little adventure out of it .... I had brought sandwiches and I bought them ice cream after and we dashed to the car in the rain and when we got home and played ping-pong. It was a lovely day.

I know this world situation is difficult, but I refuse to do the paranoia and hysteria. It doesn’t help matters at all.
JMO

nah not really, its just trying to figure out how to help fix this issue, including we don't want people traveling around too much right now anyways, so keeping people to their local shops would kill two birds with one stone

i dont think we need voucher and you wouldn't remove limits, but having people keep to their local stores would avoid a bunch of issues already happening

i have 5 within my suburb its not like you'll be restricted to 1 place i mean you'd still have choice within your post code
Oh I do understand what you’re saying, and please know I’m not Disagreeing with you. It is a little frightening though, to me, to see how regulated we are becoming ...... it’s almost like martial law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025