Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus: Primark closes all UK shops as Emirates stops most flights

Coronavirus: Primark closes all UK shops as Emirates stops most flights
The clothing retailer took the decision to shut 189 stores with "the health and welfare of our employees and customers" in mind.

Primark has closed all its shops in the UK and the airline Emirates says it will suspend flights to most destinations because of the coronavirus pandemic.

All McDonald's restaurants in the UK and Ireland will close by 7pm on Monday.

Primark said it took the decision to shut 189 stores across the country with "the health and welfare of our employees and customers" in mind.

Some 37,000 workers will be affected by the closures but will be provided with full pay for 14 days, the company has confirmed.

John Lewis, Topshop and New Look have also announced store closures.

Coronavirus: Merkel goes into quarantine as Germany bans gatherings of more than two people

GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA Merkel is in quarantine after meeting a doctor who tested positive for the novel coronavirus, as Germany further tightens rules on public gatherings.

News of Merkel’s potential exposure to the virus came minutes after she announced a ban on public gatherings of more than two people and further infection control measures.

“The Chancellor has decided to quarantine herself immediately at home. She will be tested regularly in the coming days… (and) fulfil her official business from home,” spokesman Steffen Seibert said in a statement.

Merkel had been slated to lead a cabinet meeting tomorrow to sign off on a €822 billion slew of measures to support Europe’s top economy through the shutdowns of public life designed to slow the infection’s spread.

The infected doctor visited Merkel on Friday to vaccinate her against the pneumococcus bacteria.

It could take some days to determine whether the 65-year-old chancellor is herself infected as “a test would not yet be fully conclusive,” Seibert said.

Merkel showed no apparent symptoms of ill health in Sunday’s televised press conference.

Interesting that Merkel was infected by a doctor who gave her a vaccine for pneumococus bacteria on Friday. Recommended for people over 60 during normal times, and probably more so now, since bacterial pneumonia can be a complication if COVID-19 gets severe in the lungs. I kept putting off getting this vaccine, now wish I had done so, but don't want to go out to get it now. MOO.

Dr. Fauci says early coronavirus travel restrictions from China and Europe are 'going to go a long way' to prevent the US from 'becoming an Italy'

Coronavirus travel restrictions are 'going to go a long way' to prevent US from 'becoming an Italy' | Daily Mail Online

#StayHomeSaveLives

I think he's just being optimistic. Genie is already out of the bottle here. It's already in all 50 states. Travel didn't play a huge role in Italy's situation either - it only took a few cases initially.

It's true we're reacting fairly quickly with our travel bans but it's the lockdowns and social distancing that are most important at this point. It's already here, we don't need to import it any more.

Look at just Louisiana. I bet people are still going to New Orleans for vacations.

Well, @drama_farmer said it better. Just above.

This info may have been posted today

Top U.S. health officials are "looking very closely" at reports that a much higher percentage of younger Americans than expected need hospitalization as a result of contracting the coronavirus, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Sunday.

Fauci was responding to new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which, after studying more than 4,000 cases in the U.S., showed that about 40 percent of those who were hospitalized for the virus as of March 16 were ages 20 to 54. Among the most critical cases, 12 percent of intensive care admissions were among those ages 20 to 44, while 36 percent were for those 45 to 64

Fauci: U.S. 'looking very closely' at severe coronavirus symptoms in younger Americans

Many people know of the 1918 Pandemic as the "Spanish" Flu. I used to think it began in Spain. Turns out it likely began in the U.S. Because a war was going on, no one wanted to mention the pandemic and the loss of life. Those effected didn't want to appear weak or vulnerable. Spain was basically "neutral" in WWI, so they were the first to sound the alarm. IMO

ironically, it probably started in China as well. What happened in the US (Kansas base for military recruits) is that the virus mutated and acquired the deadly ability to unleash cytokine storm. With the recruits, it probably crossed the ocean, you are right about the rest.

Updated March 22, 2020, 5:31 PM EDT

Top Democrats said Sunday they're not yet ready to sign off on the major coronavirus stimulus package — and will be preparing their own legislation — as Congress attempts to ready the bill for passage as soon as Monday.

Just before an 11 a.m. meeting between the top Republican and Democratic congressional leaders, as well as Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., told reporters that "from my standpoint, we are apart."

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., told reporters ahead of the meeting that "we need a bill that puts workers first, not corporations," and declined to say whether he supports the current bill.

Leaving Sunday's meeting, Pelosi said that she will introduce her own legislative package but that "we are still talking" with Republican leaders. She said that at this point, however, there is no bipartisan deal.

Top Democrats say they're not yet ready to sign off on coronavirus stimulus package

They ALL need to get their s**t together and get it done! R's and D's both.

Interesting that Merkel was infected by a doctor who gave her a vaccine for pneumococus bacteria on Friday. Recommended for people over 60 during normal times, and probably more so now, since bacterial pneumonia can be a complication if COVID-19 gets severe in the lungs. I kept putting off getting this vaccine, now wish I had done so, but don't want to go out to get it now. MOO.

I got mine at Costco last week. My head was very much turned 180 degrees from the pharmacist. She was very nice about it all, but I did wish I had been wearing a mask, just in case.

Last edited:
We are all in this together. But we also voted for certain individuals to have the responsibility to steer the ship for us, and make vital decisions and take action to get us through this national crisis.

So we need to protect and monitor those people, who have those responsibilities in order to protect this nation. JMO

No one voted for this occasion - let's hope everyone, everywhere voted the right way.

Yes, we have factories, labor is the people.

3M makes N95s in several countries but only 400 million per year in the US.

Putting healthcare workers first during the coronavirus outbreak | 3M News | United States

Why do we use non US labor?
  • Lower wages
  • No paid health insurance
  • No sick or vacation benefits
  • No unions
  • Less tax from foreign governments
  • Less government restricts on employees, work hours and age of workers
Just say...
A $2.00 per hour employee with no benefits can make four mask per hour. 8.00 labor cost
US $18.00 per hour, includes insurance, vacation and sick leave.

Based on 4 mask, the cost per mask could increase by $4.50 per mask. That's a significant cost increase. I'm not sure that the US economy/citizens are willing pay to secure our future.

OK, now that we are advancing worldwide recession, maybe we could use own people who are going to lose jobs?

Why are liquor stores considered "essential business"?
What about cannabis?

'It's about being well': Cannabis shops thrive as 'essential businesses' in coronavirus pandemic

Designated by many cities as "essential businesses," legal weed purveyors from Oakland, California, to Denver have been reporting long lines of customers outside their shops similar to those recently seen at entrances to grocery stores and pharmacies.

'It's about being well': Cannabis shops thrive as 'essential businesses' in coronavirus pandemic

Good question! The other issue is, each test requires the person administrating the test to use gloves, gowns and masks for each patient. We are already low on that stuff. This article mentions the PPE and testing issue. It was also mentioned during the White House press brief yesterday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/21/coronavirus-testing-strategyshift/?outputType=amp

Speaking of low PPE supplies, I had a conversation by text today with a nurse friend who works at our small local (Southern Oregon) hospital with 49 beds. I asked if they were preparing for coronavirus cases. She said that they are an “infection hospital” for our region. They are prepared for Ebola and are prepping for coronavirus, but like everyone else, they are low on supplies. I asked what people can do to help and she answered (quoting):

“Stay home so they don’t get sick. That really is the best way. And don’t get tested... unless you are in real distress. We are well past containing it. Now we just need to ride it out. Unnecessary testing wastes supplies.”

So there you have it...at least in our area, but I suspect in most of the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puddy