Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 239942

Coronavirus: Fury as rush hour commuters cram onto trains despite warnings of lockdown

Photos of packed train carriages and station platforms during the morning commute have sparked shock, anger and calls for a "total lockdown" during the coronavirus pandemic

Fury as commuters cram onto trains despite warnings of coronavirus lockdown

This is absolutely outrageous. They have cut the public transport services drastically and people are crammed in together.

#StayHomeSaveLives

I have secondhand stress just looking at the pictures. I’m sure the majority of these passengers are travelling because they don’t have the opportunity to WFH, in which case what on earth was the point of reducing services. Really we need that lockdown sooner rather than later.

Congressional Rescue Talks Churn as Crisis Deepens

With a population on edge, all sides were hoping for an agreement that would provide some relief against the pandemic's health and economic crises, now believed likely to stretch for several months

“As President Donald Trump took to the podium in the White House briefing room and promised to help Americans who feel afraid and isolated as the pandemic spreads, the Senate voted Sunday against advancing the rescue package. But talks continued on Capitol Hill.

“I think you'll get there. To me it's not very complicated: We have to help the worker. We have to save the companies," Trump said.”

[...]

“Inside the otherwise emptied out Capitol, the draft aid bill was declared insufficient by Democrats, who argued it was tilted toward corporations and did too little to help workers and health care providers. Republicans returned to the negotiating table.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, exiting the Capitol just before midnight, struck an optimistic note: “We're very close," he said, adding negotiators would work through the night.

“Our nation cannot afford a game of chicken," warned Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., his voice rising on the Senate floor Sunday night. His goal is to vote Monday. The Senate will re-convene at 12 noon EST.

Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y, sounded an optimistic note.

“This bill is going to affect this country and the lives of Americans, not just for the next few days, but in the next few months and years -- so we have to make sure it is good, he said. '"There were some serious problems with the bill leader McConnell laid down. Huge amounts of corporate bailout funds without restrictions or without oversight -- you wouldn’t even know who is getting the money. Not enough money for hospitals, nurses, PPE, masks, all the health care needs. No money for state and local government, many of whom would go broke. Many other things."

But Schumer said they were making progress in dealing with those issues. "We're getting closer and closer. And I’m very hopeful, is how I’d put it, that we can get a bill in the morning.””

[...]

“With a population on edge and shell-shocked financial markets poised for the new work week, Washington labored under the size and scope of the rescue package that's more ambitious than any in recent times — larger than the 2008 bank bailout and 2009 recovery act combined.

Democrats say the largely GOP-led effort did not go far enough to provide health care and worker aid, and fails to put restraints on a proposed $500 billion “slush fund” for corporations. They voted to block its advance.”

BBM / significant imo:

Democrats won a concession — to provide four months of expanded unemployment benefits, rather than just three as proposed, according to an official granted anonymity to discuss the private talks. The jobless pay also extends to self-employed and so-called “gig” workers.”

“While the congressional leaders worked into the night, alarms were being sounded from coast to coast about the wave of coronavirus cases about to crash onto the nation's health system.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio had dire, urgent news from the pandemic’s U.S. epicenter: “April and May are going to be a lot worse,” he said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”“

[...]

“But Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, have pushed for add-ons, including food security aid, small business loans and other measures for workers.

They warned the draft plan's $500 billion for corporations does not put enough restraints on business, saying the ban on corporate stock buy-backs is weak and the limits on executive pay are only for two years.“

-more at link / informative article imo.

Last edited:
ETw_189WsAAuvE5

Eric Feigl-Ding @DrEricDing1h
US now definitely has the steepest slope (highest exponential growth because Y axis is log) in #COVID cases. Also notice Spain Germany and France are all just 7-10 days behind Italy.

I'm also watching these 3 countries, out of interest. Wondering why right now Germany has approximately 25,500 cases and 99 fatalities while Spain has approximately 29,900 cases and 1,813 fatalities. How awful for Spain. Let's see who flattens the curve faster, France or Germany. Both countries seem to be taking this very seriously now.

"Why are liquor stores considered "essential business"?

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article241384196.html

..."

JMO it's because the corner liquor store is also the market in poor neighborhoods. It is the only place to buy basic supplies and food like TP, milk, bread, soap, that is within walking distance for poor people without cars. They have to take a bus or two to get anywhere near a Walmart or a chain grocery.

Even small neighborhood stores are getting raided by coronavirus hoarders

I'm also watching these 3 countries, out of interest. Wondering why right now Germany has approximately 25,500 cases and 99 fatalities while Spain has approximately 29,900 cases and 1,813 fatalities. How awful for Spain. Let's see who flattens the curve faster, France or Germany. Both countries seem to be taking this very seriously now.
The death rate is connected to the way the virus is spread and the population affected. As the numbers were rising in Italy and Austria, the impact on Germany came a lot from the skiing holidays, which are rather younger or fit population. Most of them went then rather quickly in self quarantine ( some companies requested directly not to return to work etc). The health system reacted good, all non essential surgeries are postponed, people are requested to rethink their behaviour in order to let the system focu in the sick ones.
The virus in France had a peak with mixed or older population in one province after some events, this may explain the figures too.
I am not sure to understand how the virus sources in Spain started and how are they moving. As much as i know Madrid area is highly impacted.

UK

All jury trials in England and Wales will be put on hold as part of the ongoing efforts to halt the spread of Covid-19.

In a statement on Monday, the lord chief justice, Lord Burnett, said no new trials will start and that ongoing trials will be paused while arrangements were put in place so they can continue safely.

Jury trials on hold in England and Wales due to coronavirus fears

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-51998906

Summary
  1. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon tells BBC Radio Scotland that the acceleration of coronavirus is "rapid"
  2. The number of people with Covid-19 who have died in Scotland rises to 10 with positive cases standing at 416
  3. Schools across Scotland are now closed - except for children of key workers
  4. Trains have moved to a reduced timetable with a focus on providing public transport for key workers
  5. More than 200,000 at-risk people in Scotland to receive letters containing "strict guidance" on isolation

People 'selfish' for ignoring coronavirus advice

People who have ignored government advice aimed at tackling the coronavirus pandemic are "very selfish", says the health secretary.

Matt Hancock said the government was willing to take "more action" if needed to stop the virus from spreading.

Over the weekend, photos emerged showing crowds of people visiting open spaces across many parts of the UK.

Emergency legislation that would grant powers aimed at tackling the pandemic will be debated by MPs later.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4, Mr Hancock said he didn't know why some people were ignoring the government's advice.

"It's very selfish," he said. "The NHS is doing everything it can and preparing for the spread of this virus.

"If people go within two metres of others who they don't live with then they're helping to spread the virus - and the consequences of that costs lives and it means that, for everyone, this will go on for longer."

“While de Blasio maintained that the enforcement wouldn't be “draconian," he noted the city eventually could end up imposing stricter rules. "Every single day instructions can change based on new circumstances, because we are dealing with something we have never dealt with before," he said.

When it comes to law enforcement, NYPD Commissioner Shea said Sunday that 98 members of the department had tested positive. Of those 98, 70 are uniformed officers and the other 28 are civilian members of the NYPD.

Shea insisted the department was "still in very good shape" with three of the 98 hospitalized and the other 95 recovering at home.

At his own press conference Sunday morning, Gov. Andrew Cuomo called on the federal government to invoke the Defense Production Act to get factories to manufacture masks, ventilators and other medical equipment. By Sunday night, the number of positive novel coronavirus tests in the state rose to 16,278.

The number of deaths in the state rose from 114, reported by Cuomo Sunday morning, to 150.”

Tri-State Sees 174 COVID-19 Deaths; Trump Deploys National Guard to NY

I have mentioned the need imo for all street LE to be in protective gear / hazmat suit, whatever. They need front line protection. JMO I would imagine a PO might not know what may pop up from day to day on the streets.

I’m noticing this Chicago Police officer is not wearing any kind of suit, etc...Perhaps they are rationing and prioritizing this equipment. Maybe this PO arrived just for this independent task.

As life in Chicago largely comes to a halt, shootings continue on South, West sides

“Though Guglielmi said he expects to see an uptick in gun arrests and seizures during street stops related to the governor’s order, he noted that officers are “not looking to arrest the entire city of Chicago,”

“We are not trying to make this a police issue. This is very much a public health issue,” he said. “In order to stop the spread of this virus, we’ve got to contain it.””

—-

ETA:

After looking around a bit, it seems this is one CDC link recommended:

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Last edited:
Fourth death in Ireland, Gardaí stress social distancing, Olympic Games face delay: Today's Covid-19 main points

(Ireland)

CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER Dr Tony Holohan has said it is “vital” that people comply with public health advice and social distancing as the country works to contain the spread of coronavirus.

Dr Holohan was speaking yesterday evening after a fourth death from Covid-19 was confirmed in Ireland. A further 121 people were confirmed to have contracted coronavirus bringing the total number of cases in the Republic to 906.

It comes as gardaí and emergency services this weekend stressed the importance of social distancing and warned people about congregating in large groups.

Speaking this morning, Health Minister Simon Harris said he’d been informed that recently confirmed Covid-19 cases had “fewer close contacts” than previously diagnosed cases.

Meanwhile, New Zealand is preparing for a total lockdown later this week as Japan’s prime minister warns that a delay in hosting the Olympics may be “inevitable”.

Here are today’s main Covid-19 points:

• The Department of Health confirmed 121 new cases of Covid-19 in the Republic of Ireland, and said a fourth person had died from the virus in Ireland.
  • McDonald’s announced that it is to close all of its restaurants across the UK and Ireland for an indefinite period as a response to the coronavirus crisis. The Irish Farmers’ Association described the measure as a “big blow” to the Irish beef sector.
  • Gardaí and emergency services have stressed the importance of social distancing during Covid-19 as images emerge on social media of crowded public spaces.
  • Post and parcels will be delivered later from today for some customers as An Post staggers starting times for its postal delivery workers to enforce social distancing.
  • Aer Lingus’ regional carrier Stobart Air will stop flights to Scotland due to what has been described as an “unprecedented” drop in demand as a result of the outbreak.
  • Student nurses will today begin their unpaid work placements amidst the outbreak that is putting unprecedented spotlight and pressure on our health services.
  • Health officials confirmed that every county in Ireland now has at least one case of coronavirus. Here’s a breakdown of the number of cases in each county.

Coronavirus: Army to distribute masks and protective suits to frontline NHS staff

Coronavirus: Army to distribute masks and protective suits to frontline NHS staff
Hospital trusts will be getting equipment such as masks, safety glasses, gloves, aprons and protective suits "around the clock".

Hospital trusts have been told they will be receiving deliveries of personal protective equipment (PPE) such as masks, safety glasses, gloves, aprons and protective suits "around the clock" during the COVID-19 outbreak.

The Army is being brought in to support the supply chain after NHS staff warned they do not have the correct equipment to protect themselves as they treat hundreds of patients with coronavirus.

Congressional Rescue Talks Churn as Crisis Deepens

With a population on edge, all sides were hoping for an agreement that would provide some relief against the pandemic's health and economic crises, now believed likely to stretch for several months

Thank you Margarita and all others posting. I read this thread moreso than the MSM news articles, without this thread I'd be lost. From all the contributors it's easier for me to follow all the updates than on multiple MSM pages. Well, I start here, I do read alot of the articles linked here, so I guess I should say this is my jumping off point.
As others have stated, it's that moment of clarity within the first few moments when you first wake up - that you're Gobsmacked with the reality of today compared to just a few short weeks ago.
I have about an hour with my coffee to skim all the posts since I shut down last evening, then fortunately I still have my work from home job to focus on for next 8 hours.
Peace to all today, find the things you are most thankful for and concentrate on that.

UK

Please do this:

10:12

Two NHS consultants have proposed a system of mass population testing for Covid-19, with 500,000 frontline NHS staff to be tested every week, followed by the vulnerable, the contagious and those who have recovered from the disease.

Nick Morris, a London-based obstetrician, and Sanjeev Silva, an ENT surgeon, are seeking government approval to import thousands of testing kits from China. They say they are concerned that “highly exposed” NHS staff are currently not being tested as the pandemic takes hold and the UK hurtles towards Italy-style levels of infection.

In a letter sent to the former health secretary Jeremy Hunt, who chairs the Commons health committee, they estimate that the real number of infected cases in the UK is likely to be 15 times higher than “recorded” cases of those tested so far, which only takes place in hospitals. On current numbers this would mean around 150,000 people currently have the virus in the UK, with the vast majority undiagnosed. Morris writes:

Germany has been testing at least four times as many people per population, and as a result has the lowest morbidity per capita of cases recorded in Europe. I attribute their success is by testing people and catching a positive test in their initial asymptomatic phase of infection, ie the first 5 days after inoculation before they notice symptoms. By quarantining this cohort early, it slows down spread and applied nationally will ‘flatten the curve’.

The new recorded UK cases are ‘probably’ 1/15th the actual cases. The problem is ‘probably’. Testing will allow the NHS to prepare for the cases. Our model will define this.

The consultants argue that mass testing in line with their proposals will save more than 70% of deaths estimated over the next six months, mostly patients over 60. They have written to Boris Johnson and spoken to Hunt and to Labour’s Keir Starmer. They suggest air-freighting medically certified kits from China and immediately setting up a network of testing centres “right across the country”. These could be administered in drive-through locations and sent as postal kits, to avoid the virus spreading.

UK coronavirus live: Hancock condemns people ignoring two-metre distance rule in parks as 'very selfish'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141