Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump signals openings: US not 'built to be shut down'
46 mins ago

“Trump declared Monday that the American economy would soon be up and running, predicting businesses would reopen in a matter of weeks, quicker than three or four months.

"America will again, and soon, be open for business," Trump said.

"This was a medical problem," he added. "We are not going to let it turn into a long-lasting financial problem."

But the president acknowledged that the death toll would rise in the U.S. and that the situation would worsen.

There were more than 43,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the U.S. as of Monday evening, and more than 500 Americans have died from it. More than 100 of those deaths occurred on Monday. Many of the cases have been reported in New York, California and Washington state.“

[...]

“"Parts of our country are very lightly affected," Trump continued, pointing to states like Nebraska, Idaho and Iowa. "Why would we close down 100 percent of the country?"”

-more at link

Good question! Some places are in trouble, others are not yet in trouble. Why self-isolate and close businesses when not everyone is sick?

This is f r i g h t e n i n g to read. I’ve been intubated five times. I was placed into medically induced comas for seizure control. I developed a seizure disorder after I suffered a massive right brain stroke in 2015. The first coma lasted for five days. The fourth time - my family waited by my side for eight days. It felt almost like having the stroke all over again once revived. It’s a tough road. I’m also 36, with a twist, like my soul sister. Geez, where the heck is some wood I can knock on? I’ve been seizure free since September ‘19, so go figure. Ventilators saved my life several times. I hope I never need them again. Especially after I read this article. lol (kinda). No. Seriously, this is vital information. This is how we lost my father-in-law. Knowledge is power. Knowledge is wealth. Thank you for spreading the riches.
Congratulations! You must be one tough person! It's good to hear success stories like yours! I hope you never need one again either.
These people who are being ventilated are so sick, their bodies are worn out from the struggle, often IMO due to the delays in testing and getting results.

I feel sorry for the public in general. They should be more informed. Then again that would cause more panic or... it might wake people up and make them realize they can't run around as they please assuming that a ventilator will save them.
There's no guarantee that it will.
***ans as pointed out, without a ventilator death is almost certain!
We are hearing that people need a week of ventilation or longer to allow their lungs to heal.
The medical staff gets worn out and sadly all their effort are often in vain.
I believe this virus is very powerful. Typically a virus will become less virulent over time. They don't want to kill the host. COVID-19 seems to be doing exactly the opposite.
All moo

Happy birthday @10ofRods

What? No unicorns?! Enjoy the simple pleasures. Rainbow sherbet, indeed.

Thank you! We're now on Day 11 of quarantine and Day 7 of a Grateful Dead Marathon - wow does Amazon have some amazing concerts. I can watch each one several times. I was too straight to see much of them back in the day.

Forgot the unicorns. But granddaughter wore a tutu dress and for the first time stepped up to the mic (and then after some shyness, stated that we needed to TURN IT UP).

When this is over, we should have a new Thanksgiving day. With all the remnants from our supplies!
I told my dad today that when get the all clear, we are going to throw a big party at our restaurant.
I want to bring in our musician friends who've had their gigs cancelled and make tons of food!

I want to come to the party!!!

I am going to self isolate next week. The schools here are supposed to start back up next week. The cases are increasing like crazy. I think we need at least 2 more weeks of self isolating at a minimum.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> The only way to flatten the curve is to self-isolate before the virus takes hold in the community. Depriving the virus of hosts is the only cure today.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Extreme measures" were not taken nationwide, though. Still not taken in some areas that needed to. People travel with this bug. People are asymptomatic and spread it (hello Senate and seriously - best to Mr. Bessler - Amy Klobuchar's husband- for a speedy recovery, however he may have contracted it).

Not disagreeing with you about optimism being a good thing. Our children are missing out on their education, and that is tragedy enough for a week, let alone 8.

I don't know why there wasn't more of a reaction to the coincidence that so many of the cases were tied to travel. When the Princess Cruise patients first arrived in Omaha, I asked my brother why the airlines weren't grounding planes. He informed me that the primary revenue for airlines is on international travel. I asked him again last night if his airline is going to ground all flights, he said nope.

JMO

I think it would be more accurate to state the statistical data thusly.

The number who have been tested and shown to be infected is x.

The reason I say this is, there is an entire statistical population that is infected, but NEVER going to be counted in any data generated, as their symptoms are so mild that they never seek medical treatment and never get tested.

Noone knows the size of this population, there is no way to measure it, but my best guess is that it is significant, significant enough to make a guess as to it's effect on the total numbers, which would be to decrease the death rate of this disease.

MOO

peace :)

I want to come to the party!!!

I am going to self isolate next week. The schools here are supposed to start back up next week. The cases are increasing like crazy. I think we need at least 2 more weeks of self isolating at a minimum.

The university here is closed until the end of the semester on April 30, and there's no guarantee that it will have in class instruction prior to September.

Someone in AZ died after taking it and his wife is in critical condition. It’s not clear why they took it. Caution is needed.

Arizona man dies after taking medicine touted by Trump to treat COVID-19

Arizona man dies after taking chloroquine for coronavirus – National Post

"An Arizona man has died and his wife is in critical condition after they ingested chloroquine phosphate – an aquarium cleaning product similar to drugs that have been named by President Trump as potential treatments for coronavirus infection."

Having trouble trying not to double post.

Buying my seedlings Wednesday- seeds should come next week for beans, corn, squash. Will be doing a Victory Garden along with 3 sisters and Medicine Wheel garden. Stay strong, I’m lucky enough to start now. Prayers, blessings to all

WASHINGTON

Coronavirus: Inslee announces mandatory statewide stay-at-home order
Gov. Jay Inslee announced a statewide stay-at-home order Monday effective immediately, with some exceptions for essential activities and businesses. The order is effective for a minimum of two weeks.

Grocery stores, pharmacies, food banks, convenience stores, liquor stores that sell food, farmers’ markets and other essential businesses as defined by the executive order can stay open. Restaurants can continue to offer take-out and delivery. Non-essential businesses will close within 48 hours.

Every resident is required to stay home unless going shopping for groceries, going to a doctor’s appointment or going to work at an essential business, as defined in Inslee’s executive order.

[...]

Key coronavirus updates:
  • There are at least 2,221 confirmed coronavirus cases with at least 110 deaths in Washington, according to the latest Department of Health numbers released Monday.
  • Inslee announced a mandatory statewide stay-at-home order Monday, with exceptions for essential activities such as going to the grocery store, for a minimum of two weeks.
  • Boeing announced it was shutting down its Seattle-area production facilities for two weeks. The shutdown com
  • Trump approved the use of the National Guard in Washington, California and New York but said state governors will retain control. Gov. Jay Inslee had already approved it for use.
  • The mayor of Edmonds issued a stay at home order to residents. The mayor of Everett issued a stay at home directive to residents.
  • Inslee signed an order that shut down restaurants, bars, dance halls, clubs, theaters, health and fitness clubs, and other similar indoor social or recreational venues until March 31. Restaurants are limited to takeout, grab-and-go and delivery. Find the list of business closures in the “Information from local officials” section below.
  • Thirty-one Washington counties have cases confirmed with the Department of Health. Nine counties reported deaths through the DOH.
  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has revised guidance, recommending no events with more than 50 people for two months. Federal officials recommended people avoid gathering in groups of 10 or more people.
  • Health officials administered a trial vaccine for the coronavirus to patients March 16 at Kaiser Permanente research facility in Washington state.
  • An EvergreenHealth physician was diagnosed with COVID-19. That man in his 40s, was in critical condition on March 19.
  • At least 35 deaths in King County were linked to Life Care Center nursing facility in Kirkland. Federal authorities are investigating.
  • All K-12 schools in Washington state will remain closed until at least April 24.
[...]

Having trouble trying not to double post.

Buying my seedlings Wednesday- seeds should come next week for beans, corn, squash. Will be doing a Victory Garden along with 3 sisters and Medicine Wheel garden. Stay strong, I’m lucky enough to start now. Prayers, blessings to all
Fantastic! I know the 3 sisters, but had to google Medicine Wheel - so cool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader