Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was called worse, now those same friends are panic buying. hoarding and refuse to acknowledge I wasn't crazy but are ignoring me some have even unfriended me online.
People tend to double down on their bad choices. Just the human condition, IMO. They'll be back (if you want them). I have to believe we can coexist. We need each other.

It is also my understanding, that the alarmist death rates thrown all about creation, simply are not bearing true in terms of the statistical data.

In fact, the data coming out of Italy shows, as we've known for some time, that the highest at risk population is above 80 years old AND having a co-occurring condition.

So it is incumbent upon us to do our part moving forward, so as to lessen the burden on our hospitals, and front line health care staff, and more importantly, to save the lives of our senior citizens.

To start seedlings in early spring, if you have an indoor laundry room, that's a great place to start them. Laundry rooms normally have tiled floors. If it's got a window, all the better. If not, place them outside for sunshine during the day.
Don't know if ws has a gardening thread?
Victory Gardens! Love it.

Thanks. I don't think there's anything that first responders and medical pros dread more than a triage situation. Withholding care from anyone goes against our every instinct, even when it's necessary to do so to save more lives in the end.
I think that is why there is such an effort now to protect first responders. Look what happened in Kirkland WA at the nursing home. A tragedy that taught very valuable lessons on how to protect.
JMO

I have no reason to not believe Dr. Bix and the other experts and I doubt they are merely engaged in wishful thinking. Especially because she explained she didn't attend news conferences over the weekend because she had a low-grade fever. I've also never believed there is a need to totally shut down the American economy.

JMO

Every individual has to decide what's best for them, and every country has to decide what's best for their society. If the US can return to business as usual next week, that's great. The Canada / USA border will likely remain closed until there is a vaccine if nothing is done to control transmission in the US.

Every individual has to decide what's best for them, and every country has to decide what's best for their society. If the US can return to business as usual next week, that's great. The Canada / USA border will likely remain closed until there is a vaccine if nothing is done to control transmission in the US.
I don't think Trump can over rule governors.

It would be nice if that could be enforced but it cannot. My state has not had any deaths and most of those infected are those who have been around those infected while traveling. Our health departments are doing a great job coordinating data about those who picked up the virus via "community spread."

JMO

There's back tracing and community spread. Back tracing means that every point of contact for the infected person can be traced and all those people are in isolation. Community spread means it's impossible to trace point of origin.

There's no point in coordinating data about community spread because it is based on random unknown points of origin.

Trump signals openings: US not 'built to be shut down'
46 mins ago

“Trump declared Monday that the American economy would soon be up and running, predicting businesses would reopen in a matter of weeks, quicker than three or four months.

"America will again, and soon, be open for business," Trump said.

"This was a medical problem," he added. "We are not going to let it turn into a long-lasting financial problem."

But the president acknowledged that the death toll would rise in the U.S. and that the situation would worsen.

There were more than 43,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the U.S. as of Monday evening, and more than 500 Americans have died from it. More than 100 of those deaths occurred on Monday. Many of the cases have been reported in New York, California and Washington state.“

[...]

“"Parts of our country are very lightly affected," Trump continued, pointing to states like Nebraska, Idaho and Iowa. "Why would we close down 100 percent of the country?"”

-more at link

Ventilators can cause
Blood Clots
Oxygen Toxicity
Lung Damage
Pneumothorax
Sinus Infections
Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia

When you take this into consideration, someone who is already fighting for their life, is fighting an extremely uphill battle.
IMO, that's why once placed on a ventilator it seems as though few survive.
Moo
How Do Ventilators Work? - AgingCare.com
This is f r i g h t e n i n g to read. I’ve been intubated five times. I was placed into medically induced comas for seizure control. I developed a seizure disorder after I suffered a massive right brain stroke in 2015. The first coma lasted for five days. The fourth time - my family waited by my side for eight days. It felt almost like having the stroke all over again once revived. It’s a tough road. I’m also 36, with a twist, like my soul sister. Geez, where the heck is some wood I can knock on? I’ve been seizure coma free since September ‘19, so go figure. Ventilators saved my life several times. I hope I never need them again. Especially after I read this article. lol (kinda). No. Seriously, this is vital information. This is how we lost my father-in-law. Knowledge is power. Knowledge is wealth. Thank you for spreading the riches.
Eta: to correct.

Last edited:
I didn't catch the name of the drug other than it is one for malaria that is being trialed in NYC. There are three drugs mentioned in this news article.

New York has over half of the more than 35,000 confirmed cases of the virus in the United States. Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Sunday the state had purchased 750,000 doses of chloroquine, 70,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine and 10,000 doses of azithromycin for the trials, to be conducted by state health researchers.

New York launches new COVID-19 drug trials; more underway in China

I've heard that chloroquine, the malaria drug, is being tested for anti-inflammatory properties.

Updated March 23, 2020, 3:15 PM MDT
U.K. government imposes 3-week national lockdown, enforced by police, to contain coronavirus
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he wanted to "give the British people a very simple instruction: You must stay at home."

“LONDON — The United Kingdom went into full lockdown Monday as the British government attempted to contain the spiraling number of coronavirus cases that have emerged in the country.

The lockdown, which will be reassessed in three weeks, will close all businesses deemed nonessential, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.”

I do not think there is a return to normal in the United States next week. I do not get that message from anyone.

What I do hear is this. Based on statistical data, available now that the proper testing and data processing methodologies have been established, needed resources will be directed to those geographical areas where they are most needed.

Along with that, the data will also be able to reveal emerging threat zones early, so that early interventions can be put in place in any given geographical region.

Those areas/states that have no need for a total state lockdown will be freed to conduct business as, for lack of a better term, normal.

I have no doubt that the private sector manufacturing facilities, along with the logistical capabilities of the transportation/trucking industry, will eventually, and likely very soon, catch up to, and be able to provide for, 100% of needed equipment and supplies to handle this outbreak in these United States.

It is quite a monumental task, the size and scope, and it is something that simply would not have been expected, or able to be produced overnight. However, it will be done, and it will be done rather swiftly considering the circumstances.

MOO

When this is over, we should have a new Thanksgiving day. With all the remnants from our supplies!
I told my dad today that when get the all clear, we are going to throw a big party at our restaurant.
I want to bring in our musician friends who've had their gigs cancelled and make tons of food!

“More than 33,000 people in the U.S. have now been infected with the virus, and more than 400 had died as of Monday afternoon, according to the CDC. A number of states have taken measures to shut down most businesses in order to keep people at home and prevent the virus' rampant spread.”

WATCH: Trump, Pence give update on U.S. coronavirus response
Mar 23, 2020 4:22 PM EDT

Ventilators have never been able to save everyone, we've known this for a years now.
It's sad that they are pushing the need for more. In my opinion it makes people believe that they can all be saved if they are lucky enough be put on one.
Ventilators can cause more problems than you came in with.

"It has been widely publicized among the medical community that ederly people just don't react to mechanical ventilation as well as younger people do. Even younger people can have life long effects from being in a ventilator."

"Analyzing 35,000 intubations of adults over age 65, data gathered from 262 hospitals between 2008 and 2015, Dr. Ouchi and his colleagues found that a third of those patients die in the hospital despite intubation (also called “mechanical ventilation”)."

Breathing Tubes Fail to Save Many Older Patients

Researchers find why ICU ventilation can cause brain damage
Researchers find why ICU ventilation can cause brain damage

Moo

You neglected to quote any of the studies about what happens without intubation. Most treatments "can cause more problems than you came in with" but in some cases, you'd die for certain without those treatments. There are good cautions against overly-long intubation (I hope that's not what is going on in hospitals; medical personnel panic too)

This is f r i g h t e n i n g to read. I’ve been intubated five times. I was placed into medically induced comas for seizure control. I developed a seizure disorder after I suffered a massive right brain stroke in 2015. The first coma lasted for five days. The fourth time - my family waited by my side for eight days. It felt almost like having the stroke all over again once revived. It’s a tough road. I’m also 36, with a twist, like my soul sister. Geez, where the heck is some wood I can knock on? I’ve been seizure free since September ‘19, so go figure. Ventilators saved my life several times. I hope I never need them again. Especially after I read this article. lol (kinda). No. Seriously, this is vital information. This is how we lost my father-in-law. Knowledge is power. Knowledge is wealth. Thank you for spreading the riches.
And we all are so happy you are here and healthy. Ventilators do save lives and you are a living example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyhound2008