Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FLORIDA

Florida’s governor has issued an executive order mandating a self-quarantine for all visitors flying in from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. TODAY on Twitter
TODAY on Twitter

Note: The order does not apply to people arriving by car.
Matt McCarthy on Twitter

I was on 95s yesterday. They are swarming in by car. The one case we have now is a guy from NYC who decided to go on vacation; with symptoms no less

Last edited:
What do you think he said?
Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing | The White House

"America will again, and soon, be open for business — very soon — a lot sooner than three or four months that somebody was suggesting. A lot sooner. We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself. We’re not going to let the cure be worse than the problem.

At the end of the 15-day period, we’ll make a decision as to which way we want to go, where we want to go, the timing. And essentially, we’re referring to the timing of the opening — essentially, the opening of our country, because we have it pretty well shut down in order to get rid of this invisible enemy."

Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing | The White House

"America will again, and soon, be open for business — very soon — a lot sooner than three or four months that somebody was suggesting. A lot sooner. We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself. We’re not going to let the cure be worse than the problem.

At the end of the 15-day period, we’ll make a decision as to which way we want to go, where we want to go, the timing. And essentially, we’re referring to the timing of the opening — essentially, the opening of our country, because we have it pretty well shut down in order to get rid of this invisible enemy."

Am I alone in thinking this is unrealistic? Because I can see this continuing for the rest of the year at the very least. I would love to think I’ve misunderstood the gravity of this situation.

And our lives....whether we live or die....

DH said that, too. There have been three instances in the past couple of weeks when my heart and soul sank with the seriousness of this global crisis. The first was when I received a call from one of my physical therapists that Beaumont Hospital was suspending all non-essential medical services. The second was yesterday when Governor Whitmer ordered Michiganders to stay at home. The third was this morning when I read a news item about the latest attempt to use this crisis to toy with our health and livelihoods. Shame on all of them :mad:

Trump clearly doesn't want to take draconian measures. I don't think he even wants to take half measures. He just wants people get back to work.
I think this might be the first time ever that wanting something to be true and telling people something is true isn’t going to work for him. It’s a hard lesson. For all of us. o_O

"And we can start thinking about — as an example, parts of our country are very lightly affected. Very small numbers. And, you know, you look at a state — great governor — Pete Ricketts, Nebraska. You look at the kind of numbers they have out there. They have one of the great — one of the great hospitals there, too, relative to what we’re talking about. But you look at Nebraska, you look at Idaho, you look at Iowa, you look at many — I could name many countries (here I think he misspoke, and meant states) that are handling it very, very well and that are not affected to the same extent, or, frankly, not even nearly to the extent of New York, which is really —"

Bold added by me. I don't think for a second that the President intends to wave all interventions in one week and get back to business as normal. I think there will be a move toward resumption of normalcy in those states/sectors where the threat from C19 is low.

Am I alone in thinking this is unrealistic? Because I can see this continuing for the rest of the year at the very least. I would love to think I’ve misunderstood the gravity of this situation.

Well, "they" can make any decision "they" want. The people on the ground will decide what to do. If people start dropping, and crematoriums are running 24x7, no one is going to go back to work.

Trump can't wave all interventions from states even if he wanted to as far as I can tell. It's up to the governors. Thankfully governor in my state seems to be taking it seriously. And by the way, small numbers in some states could be very well due to these states not testing for covid. It doesn't mean in reality they are covid-free or covid-low.

"And we can start thinking about — as an example, parts of our country are very lightly affected. Very small numbers. And, you know, you look at a state — great governor — Pete Ricketts, Nebraska. You look at the kind of numbers they have out there. They have one of the great — one of the great hospitals there, too, relative to what we’re talking about. But you look at Nebraska, you look at Idaho, you look at Iowa, you look at many — I could name many countries (here I think he misspoke, and meant states) that are handling it very, very well and that are not affected to the same extent, or, frankly, not even nearly to the extent of New York, which is really —"

Bold added by me. I don't think for a second that the President intends to wave all interventions in one week and get back to business as normal. I think there will be a move toward resumption of normalcy in those states/sectors where the threat from C19 is low.
I dont think we have a clue what's going on in these other states based on the attached dismal testing....

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_105157.png
    IMG_20200323_105157.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 22

Have these areas actually shut down?

rbbm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing-1.5507379
"Social distancing, physical distancing, is the single best way to keep the people around you safe," Trudeau said. "What does that mean? It means keeping two metres between yourself and someone else. It means avoiding groups. It means staying home as much as possible."

No, it isn't easy. It's also the least we can ask of each other in the circumstances.

'You're putting others at risk, too'
"If you choose to ignore that advice, if you choose to get together with people or go to crowded places, you're not just putting yourself at risk," Trudeau continued.

"You're putting others at risk, too. Your elderly relative who is in a seniors' home, or your friend with a pre-existing condition. Our nurses and doctors on the front lines, our workers stocking shelves at a grocery store. They need you to make the right choices. They need you to do your part. We've all seen the pictures online of people who seem to think they're invincible. Well, you're not."

Trudeau announced that the federal government would soon start broadcasting these instructions through ads. But he also made it clear that citizens have a responsibility to keep themselves informed.

"Not having heard this message won't be an excuse," he said. "Listening is your duty and staying home is your way to serve."

Compared to the ways in which previous generations have been called on to serve, staying home seems like a very small burden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yurchenko