Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never accept more people will die. As you can see in the memorial thread the death toll numbers are people - men, women and teenagers with families who loved them and they should not have died. We should not be prepared to sit back and let more and more people die. It is time everybody raised hell with their governments about how this has been handled. It has been an absolute disaster in the U.S and the U.K and in other countries. Nobody should believe the horse manure we are being told that this will be over by Easter in the U.S and better in three weeks in the U.K because it wont.
In a crisis of this magnitude, greg, no government's leaders are going to be perfect, nor can a government manage a situation like this without making mistakes, or with not having enough resources for every point of need, or without having losses, no matter what. No one in our government has said the Covid crisis is going to be over by Easter, no one.
If anyone listened closely to my NYS Gov. Cuomo, and our president, they have both said essentially the same things and will do the best they can do with the guidance of the experts. Each state is responsible for their own executive orders and timelines for all the things such as schools and colleges, other businesses, etc., so each state and locality will do what it feels best for it's own situation. That has also been made clear by our various leaders.

I absolutely agree that every life that can be saved must be, and that a large responsibility for that lies with each one of us individually. I'm praying for more folks to heed the guidelines, praying for our healthcare workers on the front lines, and praying for therapeutic meds that work :)

White House, Senate reach deal on emergency aid package to send money directly to many Americans as economy reels from pandemic

The legislation, unprecedented in its size and scope, aims to flood the economy with capital by sending $1,200 checks to many Americans, creating a $367 billion loan program for small businesses, and setting up a $500 billion fund for industries, cities and states.

Other provisions include a massive boost to unemployment insurance, $150 billion for state and local stimulus funds and $130 billion for hospitals, among numerous other provisions.

The Washington Post on Twitter

Last edited:
Update on clinical trials conducted by the WHO

WHO launches global megatrial of the four most promising coronavirus treatments | Science | AAAS

Regarding chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine

"Encouraging cell study results with chloroquines against two other viral diseases, dengue and chikungunya, didn’t pan out in people in randomized clinical trials. And nonhuman primates infected with chikungunya did worse when given chloroquine. “Researchers have tried this drug on virus after virus, and it never works out in humans. The dose needed is just too high,” says Susanne Herold, an expert on pulmonary infections at the University of Giessen.

Results from COVID-19 patients are murky. Chinese researchers who report treating more than 100 patients with chloroquine touted its benefits in a letter in BioScience, but the data underlying the claim have not been published. All in all, more than 20 COVID-19 studies in China used chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine, WHO notes, but their results have been hard to come by. “WHO is engaging with Chinese colleagues at the mission in Geneva and have received assurances of improved collaboration; however, no data has been shared regarding the chloroquine studies.”

Hydroxychloroquine, in particular, might do more harm than good. The drug has a variety of side effects and can in rare cases harm the heart. Because people with heart conditions are at higher risk of severe COVID-19, that is a concern, says David Smith, an infectious disease physician at the University of California, San Diego. "

In a crisis of this magnitude, greg, no government's leaders are going to be perfect, nor can a government manage a situation like this without making mistakes, or with not having enough resources for every point of need, or without having losses, no matter what. No one in our government has said the Covid crisis is going to be over by Easter, no one.
If anyone listened closely to my NYS Gov. Cuomo, and our president, they have both said essentially the same things and will do the best they can do with the guidance of the experts. Each state is responsible for their own executive orders and timelines for all the things such as schools and colleges, other businesses, etc., so each state and locality will do what it feels best for it's own situation. That has also been made clear by our various leaders.

Well said, Tripod ... thank you!!

White House, Senate reach deal on emergency aid package to send money directly to many Americans as economy reels from pandemic

The legislation, unprecedented in its size and scope, aims to flood the economy with capital by sending $1,200 checks to many Americans, creating a $367 billion loan program for small businesses, and setting up a $500 billion fund for industries, cities and states.

Other provisions include a massive boost to unemployment insurance, $150 billion for state and local stimulus funds and $130 billion for hospitals, among numerous other provisions.

The Washington Post on Twitter

Hallelujah! Thank you @MassGuy for getting this news to us!

I absolutely agree that every life that can be saved must be, and that a large responsibility for that lies with each one of us individually. I'm praying for more folks to heed the guidelines, praying for our healthcare workers on the front lines, and praying for therapeutic meds that work :)

Not having enough masks, protective clothing etc for healthcare workers and just under 9000 ventilators for a country with 67 million people (the U.K) is inexcusable. The U.S has the same problems. I have been watching the U.S task force press conferences too and have had to resist smashing my TV when the non-medical expert speaks. He is telling a fairytale that everything will be great and the churches will be full on Easter Sunday. The reality is thousands of people will have died and thousands of people will be very sick on ventilators and the U.S healthcare system will be on its knees.

**I'm not going to say anything more on the subject because I do not want to get political and the thread shut down. I just care about innocent people needlessly dying before their time more than the economy. We should also not just accept thousands dying from coronavirus because of the number of people who die from the flu.**

I think the collective anger finally got them to s--t or get off the pot. I heard some of the representatives voicemails were full :)
It had to happen; everyone wants and needs this.

The country can’t be allowed to fall into a second Great Depression, and a deal like this will bide time for people to continue to stay home and slow the spread of this virus.

Without this, any sort of prolonged shutdown would be unsustainable.

Not having enough masks, protective clothing etc for healthcare workers and just under 9000 ventilators for a country with 67 million people (the U.K) is inexcusable. The U.S has the same problems. I have been watching the U.S task force press conferences too and have had to resist smashing my TV when the non-medical expert speaks. He is telling a fairytale that everything will be great and the churches will be full on Easter Sunday. The reality is thousands of people will have died and thousands of people will be very sick on ventilators and the U.S healthcare system will be on its knees.

**I'm not going to say anything more on the subject because I do not want to get political and the thread shut down. I just care about innocent people needlessly dying before their time more than the economy. We should also not just accept thousands dying from coronavirus because of the number of people who die from the flu.**
I hear you. I can't believe both can't be "saved," but that's me :) Peace out, friend. You have a tender heart and I truly appreciate that.

It had to happen; everyone wants and needs this.

The country can’t be allowed to fall into a second Great Depression, and a deal like this will bide time for people to continue to stay home and slow the spread of this virus.

Without this, any sort of prolonged shutdown would be unsustainable.
Times like this it's got to be "Go big or go home."

Amidst all the news tracking, i want to add something for the lighter side to give us a smile. This is how an Oklahoma museum is handling the closure, it is such a nice idea in this hard times
Cowboy Museum Puts Their Head Of Security In Charge Of Their Twitter, And His Tweets Are Hilariously Wholesome

This kind of stuff helps me, while still doing my best in practising social distancing (but calling friends and family frequently ), working from home, supporting locals etc.
Thank you for this! I'm going to head there now to read xo.

Thank you Tripod. A brilliant post of truisims.
I have great fear for this weekend. Millions of Americans will not receive their normal paychecks, or, even a paycheck at all.
I forsee, great panic.
If one needs supplies, tomorrow is not too soon. Imo

Thank you Tripod. A brilliant post of truisims.
I have great fear for this weekend. Millions of Americans will not receive their normal paychecks, or, even a paycheck at all.
I forsee, great panic.
If one needs supplies, tomorrow is not too soon. Imo

Doesn't everyone have access to employment insurance?

Stay home. Ask for help on Nextdoor or facebook. Just stay home.

I'm fuming over the whole let's show America we can dangle their lively hoods for votes. I'm changing my party forever. Not to be discussed.
There's people hoping for money to even pay rent and buy toilet paper fgs. The political theatrics disgust me. A big fu just get it done.

Workers in my town don't even have masks or ordered to wear them. Some businesses are starting to provide them. But not all. The workers at groceries and restaurants need protection too. Hazard pay if they are brave enough.

My middle grandchild spent the night with her friend living with her parents. She told us all early this morning her friend's mom is trying to get tested. She's had appointments but tests are limited and they have ran out. The U of A (AZ) is manufacturing test thank goodness! Not sure yet, but have sent all information I know on getting tested, help etc...to their family. GD is going to self quarantine until we know. blah she or any knew until this morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member