Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, if the experts and we believe China's figures. I'm not certain we'll ever really know.
Same thing I was thinking. Are these China figures really realistic?

Population of China is 1.38 Billion and their reported cases are: 81,218.

Population of U.S. is 327.17 Million and our reported cases are: 55,200.

Is something wrong here?

"Other major areas of disagreement were over how long to provide beefed-up unemployment benefits, how much to spend on hospitals and health care providers, and how much to provide to cash-strapped state governments through stabilization funding.

The negotiations seesawed for days over unemployment benefits. In a concession to Democrats, the bill will include four months of boosted unemployment benefits, according to two sources briefed on the deal. Republicans initially proposed three months"

White House, Senate reach deal on massive stimulus package

I'm trying to think of what to say to your comment:

"The US isn’t going to handle it like China did, and I’m ok with that really, but it does mean accepting that more people will die. "

Anyone?

Does anyone here think the average American would support the lengths China went to in order to flatten the curve? I don’t. I think if we tried, bringing in every member of the police, National Guard, etc, there would be a whole lot of dead people from trying to enforce the measures taken in China.

Right or wrong, our country was founded on an individual’s right to (insert X Y Z) and any attempt to enforce a communist style government in the US would be a non-starter IMO. The citizens of the US won’t stand for it, even if it means more of us die.

Trust me, I don’t like what I see out there. I’m a health care worker on the front lines. I haven’t slept more than 4 hours straight since the end of January. We’ve known this was coming. Now it’s closer. And we can’t stop it. God bless us all.

It had to happen; everyone wants and needs this.

The country can’t be allowed to fall into a second Great Depression, and a deal like this will bide time for people to continue to stay home and slow the spread of this virus.

Without this, any sort of prolonged shutdown would be unsustainable.

I agree it needed to be done. I hope the money goes to American families and businesses who need help as soon as possible because they are under tremendous stress.

Thank you @Tripod

For those of you who can. Please shop tomorrow for food and pet food.
When Americans realize that their checks are going to be reduced without money from our government, there will be panic.
Promises of maybe money, is not going to stop panic.
Tomorrow.
Be smart.

5 members of the church in Cartersville have died from Coronavirus. The 5th, a man at Cartersville Medical Center died Monday.

The Shaw Carpet plant (15x) has an employee that has tested positive as well as other employees waiting for results.
This employee was tested MARCH 12 and JUST got the results back!!
See email: all employees are expected to work tomorrow

There is also a nursing home here where a couple of employees have tested positive, some patients are showing symptoms and one woman's grandfather died last week and she just found out about it today.
I won't name it yet.<consider that rumor for now.
This little town of 100,000 is going to suffer massive losses I am afraid.
The current number of coronovirus (+) cases is 76, and climbing.
Moo
Shaw Industries Plant 15x - Cartersville, Georgia - Carpet & Flooring Store, Business Service | Facebook20200325_022514.jpg

Newscast/Rant: Second Bartow man dies; third in our area. Rome told to shelter-in-place. Rant: Too little, too late? by HHPodcast: Newscast, rants from Northwest Georgia. • A podcast on Anchor

It had to happen; everyone wants and needs this.

The country can’t be allowed to fall into a second Great Depression, and a deal like this will bide time for people to continue to stay home and slow the spread of this virus.

Without this, any sort of prolonged shutdown would be unsustainable.

One thing that is haunting me: During the Great Depression there was not a rampant problem with meth addiction and it's twin children: Child abuse and Robbery, nor were there 442,000,000 guns in the US.

Drug use leading to lawlessness, rampant abuse of weapons, and brutalization of our law enforcement and the weaker, law-abiding population a huge worry for me

The payout differs from state to state, but the payout weekly does not even touch a person's regular pay. Yes, the pay will help, but most likely not going to keep families afloat.
Example: Arizona's max payout weekly is $240.
2020 Maximum Weekly Unemployment Benefits By State | Saving to Invest

Thanks! The Canadian federal government reduced the number of weeks that someone has to work to qualify for employment insurance a few weeks ago. People are eligible for something like 60% of salary with a cap somewhere around $1800/mo. Can there be a federal decision about employment insurance income to ensure that people can manage until the virus is stopped?

Does anyone here think the average American would support the lengths China went to in order to flatten the curve? I don’t. I think if we tried, bringing in every member of the police, National Guard, etc, there would be a whole lot of dead people from trying to enforce the measures taken in China.

Right or wrong, our country was founded on an individual’s right to (insert X Y Z) and any attempt to enforce a communist style government in the US would be a non-starter IMO. The citizens of the US won’t stand for it, even if it means more of us die.

Trust me, I don’t like what I see out there. I’m a health care worker on the front lines. I haven’t slept more than 4 hours straight since the end of January. We’ve known this was coming. Now it’s closer. And we can’t stop it. God bless us all.
Yeah, that’s the problem. You can say “oh, well China did it,” and expect the same here.

Very few people would stand for anything remotely close to that, and that’s on both sides of the aisle.

We can get more extreme, but only to an extent. That’s the reality.

When the relief checks arrive, hopefully the majority of people use mobile banking to deposit their checks so that banks don't get inundated with a large number of people coming in. Or use ATM after sanitizing them thoroughly.

Right. How long before these checks, get cut, go through the mail and reach us, hopefully on a day when your bank is open and 1000 of your neighbors are lined up to cash them?
If your bank has the cash on hand to dole out?
Tomorrow, go shopping for what you'll need for 45 days.
I am.
Do it.

White House, Senate reach deal on emergency aid package to send money directly to many Americans as economy reels from pandemic

The legislation, unprecedented in its size and scope, aims to flood the economy with capital by sending $1,200 checks to many Americans, creating a $367 billion loan program for small businesses, and setting up a $500 billion fund for industries, cities and states.

Other provisions include a massive boost to unemployment insurance, $150 billion for state and local stimulus funds and $130 billion for hospitals, among numerous other provisions.

The Washington Post on Twitter

Right. How long before these checks, get cut, go through the mail and reach us, hopefully on a day when your bank is open and 1000 of your neighbors are lined up to cash them?
If your bank has the cash on hand to dole out?
Tomorrow, go shopping for what you'll need for 45 days.
I am.
Do it.

Why 7 weeks, @KALI?

That brings us only to May 13. Although I pray that's enough, I fear it may be only the downswing of hospital admissions and deaths, but the gears of industry will have frozen by then and starting the machine will require another several months.

Thanks! The Canadian federal government reduced the number of weeks that someone has to work to qualify for employment insurance a few weeks ago. People are eligible for something like 60% of salary with a cap somewhere around $1800/mo. Can there be a federal decision about employment insurance income to ensure that people can manage until the virus is stopped?
This deal expands unemployment insurance by $600 a week, for 4 months. This means many people will be receiving close to 100% of their normal wages.

It also expands who is eligible, as contract workers and people who are self employed, generally cannot claim unemployment benefits.

This was written several hours ago, but the agreement is the same.

Schumer: Government will pay four months of full salary for furloughed workers in stimulus proposal

I have great concerns about the mental health of our front-line healthcare practitioners.

PTSD is going to be very very real for many of them and they will really need relief and long rests

And how much of that $2+ trillion is going to the cruise, airline and hotel industries that the government wants to help out.

Americans should come first!
Well people need jobs to go back to, but atleast there’s oversight now.

There was intense partisan debate over the $500 billion proposal to provide loans to distressed companies, with $50 billion in loans for passenger air carriers. Democrats contended there was not enough oversight on how the money would be doled out, but the Trump administration agreed to an oversight board and the creation of an inspector general position to review how the money is spent.

Stimulus package: White House, Senate reach historic $2 trillion deal amid growing coronavirus fears - CNNPolitics

Why 7 weeks, @KALI?

That brings us only to May 13. Although I pray that's enough, I fear it may be only the downswing of hospital admissions and deaths, but the gears of industry will have frozen by then and starting the machine will require another several months.

This hasn’t even peaked yet. We are just getting rapid testing now in NY. Once testing is ramped up in other states we will all be on unemployment at least through the summer months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member