Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who can. Please shop tomorrow for food and pet food.
When Americans realize that their checks are going to be reduced without money from our government, there will be panic.
Promises of maybe money, is not going to stop panic.
Tomorrow.
Be smart.

Adding to what you said

I posted this earlier today. "Help Save a Local Business"

Restaurant, Bakery, Bar, Cafe, Spa, Electronics Store, Bookstore
Different cities list different businesses.

Here’s how you can help:
  • Search for a local business
  • If your favorite business isn’t on the list, add it
  • Purchase a gift card now so that you can enjoy it later
Home - USA TODAY Support Local Businesses

Last edited:
And how do you chose between your rent, your car insurance, your healthcare premiums, your food, your utilities, or paying your credit cards?
Adding to what you said

I posted this earlier today. "Help Save a Local Business"

Restaurant, Bakery, Bar, Cafe, Spa, Electronics Store, Bookstore
Different cities list different businesses.

Here’s how you can help:
  • Search for a local business
  • If your favorite business isn’t on the list, add it
  • Purchase a gift card now so that you can enjoy it later
Home - USA TODAY Support Local Businesses
Assuming the business re-opens. Many will not.

You are kidding right?
I hope America does not panic.
It will be ugly.
Make sure you have provisions.
Do NOT expect anything to be normal for awhile.
Hey. Just my very intelligent self. We'll get through this.
I want to add, those of us here know about criminals.
Do not open your door to unknowns.
Hunker down and be intelligent.
Be safe and smart.
Xxxxoooo

When the relief checks arrive, hopefully the majority of people use mobile banking to deposit their checks so that banks don't get inundated with a large number of people coming in. Or use ATM after sanitizing them thoroughly.

I’m not sure how these one-time checks will work but it concerns me that there will be plenty of us who get them but don’t really need them. My dh and I probably fall into that category, thankfully, and we don't feel right viewing this money as a fun windfall and using it to buy a new “toy”when so many are struggling...although I suppose that’s the point of “economic stimulus.” But it still feels weird. I imagine others are in that position also. It would be nice to think of positive ways to use the money...

-Donate to local charities directly helping people...food bank, etc.
-Support local businesses (restaurants? hair dressers? etc) by buying gift certificates to use or give to friends.
-Divide the money (anonymously?) among friends who are struggling. (But if they receive low income benefits from social services, they will have to declare the gift and it might reduce their benefits like food stamps.)
-Buy food and other necessities for friends and/or strangers.
-Cover someone’s medical bill.

Other ideas?

From what I've read, there is nothing going to be in any stimulus package that covers independent contractors, gig-workers, people whose previous unemployment has run out and who have been searching for work, anyone who did not file a tax return in 2018, and anyone whose 2018 pay was below a certain amount (I believe the cutoff for no funds was in the $2,000-3,000 range). Homeless people will not get funds. In short, only people who made over a certain amount with a filed tax return in 2018 with a w-2 (not a 1099) will qualify. Also, for many restaurant servers, it won't cover their loss of tips.

Just what I've read. I'm an independent contractor writer who knows a ton of fellow writers and other gig-workers who have no idea what we'll do. And no, in California, independent contractors and gig-workers are not covered by unemployment insurance at all.

0_RLP_MDG_21879221162315526775JPG.jpg

A man who filmed himself licking items on a supermarket shelf and asking "who's afraid of coronavirus?" has been arrested on terror charges.

Police in Warrenton, Virginia, US, arrested a man after the horrifying clip was spread around the globe.

Suspect Cody Pfister, 26, has been charged with making a terrorist threat following the incident in a Walmart store.

Man who sparked virus panic by licking shop goods is arrested on terror charge

This is great news.

I’m not sure how these one-time checks will work but it concerns me that there will be plenty of us who get them but don’t really need them. My dh and I probably fall into that category, thankfully, and we don't feel right viewing this money as a fun windfall and using it to buy a new “toy”when so many are struggling...although I suppose that’s the point of “economic stimulus.” But it still feels weird. I imagine others are in that position also. It would be nice to think of positive ways to use the money...

-Donate to local charities directly helping people...food bank, etc.
-Support local businesses (restaurants? hair dressers? etc) by buying gift certificates to use or give to friends.
-Divide the money (anonymously?) among friends who are struggling. (But if they receive low income benefits from social services, they will have to declare the gift and it might reduce their benefits like food stamps.)
-Buy food and other necessities for friends and/or strangers.
-Cover someone’s medical bill.

Other ideas?
Hubs idea and I love him more for it......

We are going to give ours ( if we get one?) to our neighbors next door with 3 kids.

Dr. Fauci says President Trump 'flexible' with coronavirus timeline
Dr. Fauci says President Trump 'flexible' with coronavirus timeline

[interesting article]

Dr. Anthony Fauci says President Trump is keeping an open mind on timeline for easing coronavirus restrictions

Coronavirus task force member Dr. Anthony Fauci said on "The Ingraham Angle" that President Trump's Easter timeline to reboot the economy is "aspirational," saying the president and his team are on the same page and that everyone understands a timeline for the coronavirus outbreak needs to be "flexible."

"The president clearly listens. I mean, he has this aspirational goal of hoping that we might be able to do it by a certain date. We talked him about that. We say we need to be flexible. He realizes that and he accepts that," Fauci told host Laura Ingraham. "I mean, he doesn't want to give up his aspirational goal, but he's flexible enough to say, 'OK, let's look at it on a day by day basis,' we say, and we will give him data to inform that decision."

One thing that is haunting me: During the Great Depression there was not a rampant problem with meth addiction and it's twin children: Child abuse and Robbery, nor were there 442,000,000 guns in the US.

Drug use leading to lawlessness, rampant abuse of weapons, and brutalization of our law enforcement and the weaker, law-abiding population a huge worry for me

You are not alone in your worry. Times have changed greatly since the Great Depression.

For those of you who can. Please shop tomorrow for food and pet food.
When Americans realize that their checks are going to be reduced without money from our government, there will be panic.
Promises of maybe money, is not going to stop panic.
Tomorrow.
Be smart.

The same message for those of us in the UK. The government has said they’ll pay 80% of many people’s pay, however I am already considering the immense workload of the people dealing with approving this.

Intensive care nurse in her 20s 'kills herself' at King's College Hospital in London where eight coronavirus patients have died

Female nurse in her 20s 'kills herself at Kings College Hospital London' amid coronavirus crisis | Daily Mail Online

This is more terrible news. It is a big worry the number of health care workers, people who have been made unemployed, victims of domestic violence etc who are being pushed to breaking point from this crisis and are suicidal.

I just read about this - it’s heartbreaking. The issue of mental health during all of this, it really worries me. So many people with lives turned upside down and as you say, pushed to breaking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member