Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
TENNESSEE

198 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Shelby County
Authorities with the City of Memphis have announced 198 confirmed cases of the coronavirus.

[...]

Officials with the Shelby County Health Department said Wednesday 38% of the cases in the county are individuals between 21 and 40 years of age. Of those diagnosed in Shelby County, 74% are younger than 61.

Tuesday, the health department issued a public health directive for Shelby County that mimics “safer-at-home” orders previously issued by mayors across the county. ...

Shelby County health officials believe 21- to 40-year-olds are driving the local spread of COVID-19.

[...]

Disrupting one’s usual routine for the benefit of others may not be to everyone’s liking, but throughout history, humans have been willing to make sacrifices to protect the health of others. The willingness to do so seems to be part of human nature. There is evidence from prehistory of human groups supporting elderly and disabled people who would have been unlikely to survive on their own.

Evolutionary theories suggest this may be due to the “grandmother effect”, which freed up younger members of the group while elders minded the children. Another theory suggests that compassion is beneficial because it enables people to feel superior to lower animals and aids group cohesion. Or it may be that people are kind to the elderly when they are young in the hope that they will receive the same care when they grow old.
Calling on human compassion by highlighting the danger to the higher-risk groups is an important messaging strategy as it recognises that the risk is different for different people. And it ensures that those who can self-isolate understand why they need to, without unduly worrying essential workers who need to move about to keep the country going.

This is a clever approach because, in purely biological terms, SARS-Cov2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 – is not that dangerous to most people. On a graph that plots how contagious a disease is against how deadly, it sits in the bottom left-hand corner – somewhere between 2009’s Swine Flu and the 1918-1919 Spanish Flu. It spreads far less easily than measles, for example. And is far less likely to kill those infected than smallpox or Ebola.
Coronavirus: why changing human behaviour is the best defence in tackling the virus

I want to share this post from MY friend, a teacher and colleague. My heart is broken for him. And for all of this.

This makes it very real.

“This morning my best friend, Josh, died from complications of Covid-19 in a hospital in New York City. My heart is broken. You might know that in nearly all things I compulsively look for the lesson, the deeper message, the bigger meaning. But for this, all meaning is absent. All I have is this...

Josh was my best friend. I never told him that, and he had so many friends I don’t know if he would have returned that title to me. And that’s okay. There was more than enough of Josh’s friendship to be shared. Me, on the other hand... the number of people I’ve allowed to get truly close in my lifetime can be counted on one hand. Most of them have dropped off along the way. Until now, Josh remained.

He was a guide for me in ways he didn’t realize. He reminded me how to have fun. He would be the first to roll his eyes and say, “Oh Lord” when I got too full of myself. In one of the darkest periods of my life I sobbed with my head in his lap, and then he took me to the bars, and we spent an entire weekend alternating between those two things. Josh was my best friend and was my family. Josh felt like home. Now Josh is gone.

Josh, I will miss you for the rest of my life.“

RIP Josh
:(

NY

Mount Sinai to Begin the Transfer of COVID-19 Antibodies into Critically Ill Patients

<snip> The process of using antibody-rich plasma from COVID-19 patients to help others was used successfully in China, according to a state-owned organization, which reported that some patients improved within 24 hours, with reduced inflammation and viral loads, and better oxygen levels in the blood.

Mount Sinai is collaborating with the New York Blood Center and the New York State Department of Health’s Wadsworth Center laboratory in Albany, with guidance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and expects to begin implementing the treatment later this week.

Mount Sinai to Begin the Transfer of COVID-19 Antibodies into Critically Ill Patients | Inside Mount Sinai

Coronavirus: People claiming to have COVID-19 and coughing at key workers face jail

Coronavirus: People claiming to have COVID-19 and coughing at key workers face jail
Reports have emerged of emergency workers, shop staff and vulnerable groups being coughed at by people who claim to have COVID-19.

People who claim to have coronavirus and cough towards police officers and other emergency workers will be charged with assault.

Reports have emerged in recent days of emergency services, shop staff and vulnerable groups being targeted, prompting the Crown Prosecution Service to warn those responsible that they could face jail.

One man, Darren Rafferty, admitted three counts of assaulting an emergency worker yesterday after claiming to have coronavirus and directing coughs towards Met Police officers as they arrested him for another offence.

The CPS has said such behaviour during the COVID-19 pandemic is illegal, adding that assaults specifically against emergency workers were punishable by up to two years in prison.

Coronavirus live updates: Coronavirus pandemic changes way of life - CNN
[...]

5 min ago
2 passengers on Grand Princess Cruise die of coronavirus

[...]

6 min ago
Michigan governor asks Trump for major disaster declaration

[...]

12 min ago
Greater New York Chamber of Commerce: "Too little too late"

[...]

34 min ago
New Orleans official says coronavirus will "define our generation"

[...]

40 min ago
India delays first phase of census because of coronavirus

[...]

35 min ago
Acting Navy secretary: Hospital ship will "hopefully" reach New York early next week

[...]

NYC

De Blasio removing some city basketball hoops to stop games during coronavirus

<snip> City officials will take down basketball hoops at 80 courts where persistent pick-up games have flouted social distancing rules amid the coronavirus pandemic, the mayor said.

“There will not be any basketball games because there will not be any basketball hoops,” de Blasio said during a City Hall briefing Wednesday evening.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/de-bl...tball-hoops-to-stop-games-during-coronavirus/

Pregnant women are being forced to give birth alone as hospitals restrict visitors during coronavirus
"... I'm terrified and feel a complete loss of control. Going into a hospital to labor and deliver my first child completely alone is setting up the experience to be traumatic and likely unsafe … What should be one of the most significant and happiest days of our lives is turning into a nightmare."

[...]

"I just left a doctors appointment where I was told to prepare myself that my husband would not be at the birth of my child, and that I should buy an iPad so we can video him in," she said. "While I understand what the hospitals are going through right now and how precious supplies are, I don't understand their reasoning around this. It is honestly just cruel and inhumane."

[...]

:(:(:(

Last edited:
NYC

<snip> City officials will take down basketball hoops at 80 courts where persistent pick-up games have flouted social distancing rules amid the coronavirus pandemic, the mayor said.

“There will not be any basketball games because there will not be any basketball hoops,” de Blasio said during a City Hall briefing Wednesday evening.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/de-bl...tball-hoops-to-stop-games-during-coronavirus/

Good. Cuomo warned them yesterday in his briefing so it’s no surprise they are taking them down.

Good morning. We are all still alive and well here in West Texas. My hot coffee is tasting wonderful....... I sure could use a nice hot, big, fat,... bacon, eggs, fried potatoes, and cheese breakfast burrito..........Yall hang in there........moo

ooh ooh ooh, you reminded me I had an Amy's Breakfast Burrito in the freezer ! BONUS

NYC

A park in a village of 600 people near me put yellow tape around all the playground equipment, basketball court, pavilions, etc. You can still take a walk on the grounds but you can’t congregate.

US coronavirus: The US just had its deadliest day from coronavirus. But health officials say the peak is yet to come - CNN
New York Bellevue Hospital Center created a makeshift morgue using tents and refrigerated trucks. At Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, 13 patients died from coronavirus within 24 hours.

In California, the number of cases is doubling every three to four days. And in Louisiana, where health care workers are making masks out of office supplies, hospitals are expected to run out of beds within two weeks.

If more beds don't become available, "then we don't have resources to save the lives that we need to save," former Louisiana Secretary of Health Dr. Rebekah Gee said. "That's why these stay-at-home orders are so important."

[...]

The highest number of deaths reported in a single day came Wednesday, with 223 deaths.

But "we have not seen the peak of the crisis yet," Gee said.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ifgchester
Back