Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
American Association for Respiratory Care, The Society of Critical Care Medicine, American Society for Respiratory Care, American Society of Anesthesiologists, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses and many other groups have come out against use of the valve which allows multiple people to use one ventilator. I did a screen shot of some of the reasons they listed.

View attachment 240652
View attachment 240654
View attachment 240653

Source:
I read an interview with one of the doctors who helped design the splitter system, and he had answers for some of those concerns. Apparently there is a way to put a valve upon each individual]s hose, which can lessen or increase the flow to each patient.

I will try to find that interview...

Last edited:
I hope the open air markets can open and remain open but also worry about the mad rush to get to one. I was surprised @Bailey said Lexington’s was open. Yesterday the mayor was quite harsh, sending mtc. crews to disassemble playground equipment, basketball goals & lock tennis courts in county parks. I’m really now as concerned about the ramifications of isolation as the virus itself. For the first time since being widowed, I’m afraid to live alone. I’m in a good, safe area, but with jail doors swinging open, one never knows.
That's the thing, if the grocery store or farmers market are jammed packed with people I would turn around and leave.

If there's room to separate and keep some distance I will feel much better shopping.

At the Food Co today a young man was cleaning the handle on the shopping cart when you go in. The young lady at the checkout did the same to the belt before I put my stuff on it. Yes, I know that's probably not enough but it helps. I also use hand sanitizer after I left the store. JMO

Last edited:
I wonder how many people, who were previously counting on cigarette delivery, future trips, etc are now suddenly flooding stores to go buy cigs after hearing this. This is what just happened in Colorado moo - remember when for just a few hours said they were going to consider liquor stores and pot dispensaries non-essential businesses then suddenly changed that, like within a few hours iirc, because people suddenly started rushing out and crowding stores.
Good way to get people crowded together to panic buy things that they feel may disappear. JMO

IIRC he didn't say "surplus", rather he said "if we don't need them". How many ventilators are still needed by our own states? How soon will he be able to start shipping ventilators to UK and EU if we don't have an estimation of the number that will be needed for our own country? How many ventilators have actually been produced in the US in the last month? Today in the speech at the medical ship Trump said that making a ventilator is harder than making a car.

If anyone quibbles with the difference between "surplus" and "if we don't need them", just read what he said, this is what he means by "we don't need them", IMO
Trump on urgent requests for ventilators: 'I don't believe you need 30,000'
"Trump told Hannity: “I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You go into major hospitals sometimes, and they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they’re saying, ‘Can we order 30,000 ventilators?’”

The president’s comments appeared to be in response to New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, who had called for 30,000 ventilators, explaining that state hospitals had only 4,000 in the system at the beginning of the outbreak.

Many states across the US are scrambling to buy ventilators, often at inflated rates."

BBM. Effective yesterday, the manufacturing and distribution of all needed ventilators is now being coordinated by Peter Navarro as Trump announced at yesterday afternoon's press briefing.

My definition of surplus is that the quantity is more than will be needed at the peak of the epidemic. A ventilator can be reused.

I'm basing my opinion on what Trump said at yesterday's press briefing in response to a reporter's question about quantity.

JMO

Good morning! My PeaPod delivery guy came early this morning, brought me orange juice and fresh "everything" bagels and 2 tubs of whitefish salad. :)

... but no toilet paper. :(
My instacart deliveries came. I ordered from 2 stores, to try and double my chances. We now have a double order of milk, eggs and produce, but no TP or paper towels.

I think contact tracing is at the point of nil. I think they are attempting but it has to be a daunting task and people are needed elsewhere.
I agree.
Test, Trace contacts, Treat, Isolate, do the same for traced contacts- These had to be done in the beginning stage. Doing those now is impossible and almost meaningless. Too many are already unknowingly infected and the infected are isolating with uninfected in the same space under the lockdown order. Most of them are all walking around grocery stores without masks infecting even more.

I believe we missed the golden time to flatten the curve in a meaningful way. Now we only can mitigate to reduce massive deaths. It's a somber situation we are in. IMO

Last edited:
BBM. Effective yesterday, the manufacturing and distribution of all needed ventilators is now being coordinated by Peter Navarro as Trump announced at yesterday afternoon's press briefing.

My definition of surplus is that the quantity is more than will be needed at the peak of the epidemic. A ventilator can be reused.

I'm basing my opinion on what Trump said at yesterday's press briefing in response to a reporter's question about quantity.

JMO
And I am pointing out that on Hannity, IIRC Thursday night, he said we didn't need as many ventilators as Cuomo et al are asking for.

And on Saturday morning he said "if we don't need" ventilators we can send them to UK and some EU countries.

I open the open air markets can open and remain open but also worry about the mad rush to get to one. I was surprised @Bailey said Lexington’s was open. Yesterday the mayor was quite harsh, sending mtc. crews to disassemble playground equipment, basketball goals & lock tennis courts in county parks. I’m really now as concerned about the ramifications of isolation as the virus itself. For the first time since being widowed, I’m afraid to live alone. I’m in a good, safe area, but with jail doors swinging open, one never knows.
I'm sure you will be ok. Crime is down here in Sacramento.

Coronavirus, Sacramento-area shutdown slowing crime — what police say can help keep it down

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article241483576.html#storylink=cpy

20200328 Florida Department of Health Updates New COVID-19 Cases, Announces Eight New Deaths Related to COVID-19, 11 a.m. Update

"To keep Florida residents and visitors safe, informed and aware about the status of the virus, The Florida Department of Health has launched a COVID-19 dashboard that will be updated twice daily. Today, as of 11 a.m., there are 3,763 total** Florida cases.

Eight people have died who tested positive for COVID-19 in Broward, Dade, Lee, Pasco, Pinellas and Volusia counties.

New Florida cases include:

• 565 additional positive COVID-19 cases (554 Florida residents and 11 non-Florida residents) reported to the Florida Department of Health.
  • There are currently 3,608 positive cases in Florida residents and 155 positive cases in non-Florida residents."

You could be right... i've been doing it for weeks now, but am supposed to have a doc appt in a couple of weeks, so will ask. I am one who grew up with a mother who stuffed Vicks Vapo Rub up my nose...!! And I just went and rummaged through my health products and do have some nose stuff that I think I will take with me now...

Yes, but the base for Vicks is petrolatum (Vaseline) not the alcohol base for hand sanitizer.

OKLAHOMA.....HERMAN FORMAN

"The state to watch over the next few days is #Oklahoma where deaths & new #Covid19 cases growing rapidly despite inadequate testing.
State is larger than #Connecticut (almost 4M).
Testing less than 300 per day. (CT ~ 1k per day)
Deaths now 15 (cCFR 4% ).⬆️7.
Cases⬆️55 today. (((Howard Forman))) on Twitter

(((Howard Forman))) on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads