Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Angry mobs rioted near coronavirus-ravaged city Wuhan after leaving quarantine and being told they couldn't travel elsewhere in China.

Wow, I’d be very interested to read more articles about this.

It reminds me of picking up shattered pieces, pent up frustration...

The people of Wuhan went through so much. Remember, they didn’t have much time to stock up, prepare...

We watched the early Wuhan videos - this is quite a different scene from what we’ve seen before...

King County COVID-19 daily summary - King County

Public Health announced 249 new cases and 11 new deaths from COVID-19 today.

Public Health – Seattle & King County's Health Officer re-emphasized the need to prevent new cases with a new health order and directive. With prevention activities ongoing at shelters, individual cases have been identified and responses are underway. King County will open isolation and quarantine beds at a former hotel in Issaquah on Sunday, March 29, in addition to facilities already operational in Kent and North Seattle.
I think the quarantine beds are a good idea because people are refusing to self-isolate.

JMO

yes hopefully they don't dump them when this is over/improved
If they foster it’s only temporary anyway, which is a fabulous way to enjoy a pet, get them out of the shelter, and save their life!

If a particular foster pet (or adoption) doesn’t work out for you, you can get another one. That sounds cold, but a dog still gets out of the shelter and we shelter workers want you to love your foster/adopted pet, not feel like you are stuck with them.

Agree about fostering a senior dog, also black dogs. For some reason people pass over black dogs.

Rescuing one animal won’t change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever-anonymous

Neither have I except to take supplies to my mom who is 86 and lives with my medically compromised brother. I do NOT want them out at all. And I only drop stuff at the bottom of her apartment stairs.

I live in NJ.

Yes, my 89 yr old Mom is my biggest concern now. Although we just celebrated her birthday and she swears she is 90 now, so that's what we went with. lol...

Anyway, it breaks my heart because she is very lonely. We talk everyday, and she has her own apartment in an assisted living complex.

But we cannot visit anymore. And I think that is a good thing that no one is allowed in. But it is hard for her to be all alone every day.

They are not allowed to come down to eat together anymore either. So they drop off her lunch and dinner every day. And she gets a call every morning and evening from the social worker, just checking in.

But when she calls she sounds lonely and it is very sad. She can speak to her neighbour from their balconies. So that makes me feel better.

Sorry to ramble. But it makes me very sad because at this point in my Mom's life, there is nothing she loves more than her kids and grandkids and great grandkids. It has always kept her inspired and enthusiastic. We had a big family Christmas in December and the entire family was there for the first time in years. From all over the country.

So it makes me very sad that she is suddenly so isolated. :(

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’, study says
I don't trust China, but this bus study makes me wonder.

Coronavirus can remain in air for 3 hours, live on plastic for days, new study says

This is a novel virus. They are learning as they go. The training wheels are still on the bike.
aren't they?
Cause China...?
Moo

This may shock you, but the Chinese study that was published in that journal was then retracted without any explanation by the editors days later.

Journal retracts study on how far coronavirus can spread through droplets

People may think that's normal and probably was just a study that is promoting false data, but why not say so in the retraction? And that journal should get the reasoning over to the New England Journal of Medicine which found similar aerosol viability.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

GOV CUOMO

In no hospital in New York will a woman be forced to be alone when she gives birth.
Not now, not ever.
‘Women Will Not Be Forced to Be Alone When They Are Giving Birth’
Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
Babies should not even be born in any of the hospitals.
How about satellite surgical centers that were doing elective out patient surgeries that are now canceled?
No woman about to bring a new life into the world should be anywhere near a hospital right now!
Moo

Last edited:
If they foster it’s only temporary anyway, which is a fabulous way to enjoy a pet, get them out of the shelter, and save their life!

If a particular foster pet (or adoption) doesn’t work out for you, you can get another one. That sounds cold, but a dog still gets out of the shelter and we shelter workers want you to love your foster/adopted pet, not feel like you are stuck with them.

Agree about fostering a senior dog, also black dogs. For some reason people pass over black dogs.

Rescuing one animal won’t change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever-anonymous
Is that true about Black dogs? The love of my life was a black dog.....I'm interested in fostering senior dogs but I already have 2 dogs. 14 and 10 yrs old. How hard is it to foster? I would love to give senior dogs the best time of their lives.

I sent one for each child separately. Granddaughter says that her brother (younger) thinks everything is for him otherwise. LOL

I included a card to each of them with a note and a list of the items, where they came from or why I included them. Also, to name a few:

*Heart candy (from Valentine's Day)
*Coloring pages
*Stuffed animals (her -an elephant holding a heart in its trunk/ him a
Saint Bernard carrying a barrel
*Note cards
*Phillies baseball banks, trucks and bobbleheads
*Some hot wheels (him) and tiny hummingbird earrings (her)
*Fancy bookmarks

I mailed them Thursday afternoon and they received them already - this morning. Fastest ever for USPS from here to there.

ETA I ordered more stuff to send for Easter - puzzle and sticker books, reading books, and journals for them to write in, since schoolwork is all online etc.

Awww, this is adorable.

BBM. I don't believe that is true. I think if any of the New Yorkers who have crossed into Rhode Island ignore the self-quarantine mandate and develop Covid-19 during that time period, they will be prosecuted. I'm still shaking my head that the Mayor had to actually remove basketball hoops because people were so arrogantly ignoring the public health requests.

JMO

I think “prosecuted” is useless. The jails are letting people out, as no one wants to be responsible for deaths in prison due to COVID, among other things. Bringing people to court is not good either.

So actually, a fine should be enough. I think in Spain it is 2000 Euros.

...but what do we do with the idiots who perform COVID challenge, and then get sick?

This may shock you, but the Chinese study that was published in that journal was then retracted without any explanation by the editors days later.

Journal retracts study on how far coronavirus can spread through droplets

People may think that's normal and probably was just a study that is promoting false data, but why not say so in the retraction? And that journal should get the reasoning over to the New England Journal of Medicine which found similar aerosol viability.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
No it doesn't at all. I have no faith in them. Ok a little, this kinda made sense, but I only read it twice and never broke it down.
Wishful thinking!
Moo

No, that is too broad to say.
But, New York has big problems, much like Wuhan in my opinion.
Sad to say, but it's the truth.
They need to completely lock down in order to eradicate this virus.
The USA is here for them, however, they cannot be running around the USA.
This is absolutely my opinion.
Agree. They should lock down NYC. I'm surprised this is not being considered in IL. IL has quadruple the number of cases as in Missouri but I am 15 minutes driving distance from IL. moo

Is that true about Black dogs? The love of my life was a black dog.....I'm interested in fostering senior dogs but I already have 2 dogs. 14 and 10 yrs old. How hard is it to foster? I would love to give senior dogs the best time of their lives.
Yes, it's true about black dogs. My DIL used to work in a shelter.

She chose an all black pup from a litter at the shelter. They were lab mixes but only one was all black. And 5 years later, she is the sweetest most loving dog ever. Turns out she is lab/greyhound.

I am wanting to foster a dog now too. We did it years ago and loved it. And now it is needed more than ever,

Last edited:
Yes, my 89 yr old Mom is my biggest concern now. Although we just celebrated her birthday and she swears she is 90 now, so that's what we went with. lol...

Anyway, it breaks my heart because she is very lonely. We talk everyday, and she has her own apartment in an assisted living complex.

But we cannot visit anymore. And I think that is a good thing that no one is allowed in. But it is hard for her to be all alone every day.

They are not allowed to come down to eat together anymore either. So they drop off her lunch and dinner every day. And she gets a call every morning and evening from the social worker, just checking in.

But when she calls she sounds lonely and it is very sad. She can speak to her neighbour from their balconies. So that makes me feel better.

Sorry to ramble. But it makes me very sad because at this point in my Mom's life, there is nothing she loves more than her kids and grandkids and great grandkids. It has always kept her inspired and enthusiastic. We had a big family Christmas in December and the entire family was there for the first time in years. From all over the country.

So it makes me very sad that she is suddenly so isolated. :(

I think your mom is more resilient than you realize and she isn't isolated because she's talking to you and her friends around her. Make sure she does facetime with the grands and great-grands. Order her flowers and candy. Flower shops are desperate.

Every generation has been faced with an issue which has required sacrifice. If your mom is 89, it was WWII and the Korean War. There was a military draft in place for young men, rationing of supplies, fear of the future. My mom's uncle was governor of her state. He rode the train with her to Washington DC and she went to work with the Navy Dept. My MIL got a job at a bomber plant in Kansas. Those experiences shaped both of them and made them better human beings and extraordinary mothers. During Vietnam, both women feared their sons would be drafted. My BIL was a Navy Corpsman in Vietnam. My big brother enlisted in the USMC after graduating college even though the draft was over. Another had a low draft number and now has homes in Mexico and Miami. He's staying put in Mexico. The number of civil rights cases he has handled pro bono as an attorney is astounding.

It is important that this crisis is handled as well as those in the past. It requires sacrifice but it also requires families to do their job and stay intact. Your mom is going to be okay because she is not alone. She knows she has you.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member