Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My fellow smokers, just FYI - Wellbutrin (marketed under a different name) can help you quit if you’re interested. I started it after going into quarantine and am down to between 1/3 and 1/2 (depending on the day) of what I smoked before. Hopefully I can sell some of my carton on the black market as I will be quit!

Maybe we all need a little Xanax.

I quit many years ago with the help of Wellbutrin. Tapered down just like you are doing. I remember running out of cigarettes one night and being too tired to get another pack and told myself that I could wait. Then the next morning the same thing. I won’t say it was easy but much easier using Wellbutrin than the many times I tried before without it. Good luck Jane! You can do it!!!

BNO Newsroom on Twitter[/QUOTE]
I wonder where the safest place on the planet is right now. I would have guessed a place like Iceland or Alaska, where it is cold and remote.
This is off the charts. It's like the 18th century. I don't understand why Spain is such a mess?!?!

Last year, Bloomberg News ranked Spain as the having the healthiest people in the world. The average life expectancy is approx 85 years compared to 73 for the United States. The US came in 37th in the study of the healthiest people. Spain replaced Italy as the healthiest and are on the trajectory of eclipsing Japan as having the highest life expectancy.

According to the report the variables that gave Spain that rarified moniker were: Mediterranean diet high in healthy fats and oils; they eat their fruits and veggies (including broccoli), have close family ties that include multi-generational households, don't drive all over hell's half acre; they walk pretty well everywhere and they don't go to the gym, they walk, walk, walk, and finally, they don't have a sedentary lifestyle. Plus it wasn't just the positives that put them up there at number one, it was the lack of negatives like smoking and obesity.

So when you review those markers that make them the healthiest you can also see some of those same markers could possibly be the reasons for such a high death rate once the virus was established in their communities.

These Are the World's Healthiest Nations

I was in Spain last year and though I can't verify the multi-generational households I can attest to the validity of everything else. You rarely saw obese people and I'm sorry to say, if you did, nine times out of ten they were North American. Fast food outlets are not ubiquitous in Spanish cities: people drink wine or coffee, no one's walking around with 40 ounce containers of soft drinks. Even their snacks are healthy. Can you say tapas? Their cities are walkable and except for the suburbs you shop at smaller outlets like local grocers. And like it was when I grew up in England they don't do humongeous shops buying enormous amounts of food because they don't have those huge french door refrigerators or freezers, most have those little fridges that you see in dorm rooms.

My job is considered essential here in California so I'm still going to work.

I used to work on Saturday but my work has decided to close on Saturday for who knows how long. This is the first Saturday I've had off in a long time.

We needed some supplies so I went to Foods Co (Kroger) this morning. Looks like the hoarding is subsiding. Last week no eggs or bleach but I was able to get that today. Bread, milk, eggs and meats where plentiful. Water was available in gallons and 12 pack bottles with a 2 per limit.

No lines to get in and not very many people shopping so I was able to keep proper distance from others with not too much effort. I did check out the paper product isle and there was a bunch of Kroger brand paper towel that I didn't need. There was even a few six roll Kroger brand toilet paper still on the shelf that I left for someone else to buy since we still have plenty for now.

That's how my grocery shopping trip went today in Sacramento California.
@RANCH
Did you wear a mask and gloves? Were other people wearing masks and gloves? Just curious.

I have an idea,

I am working remotely. So I am busy.

The quarantine is hard on people who did not work, on students and on people with OCD.

What about making a thread about how you distract yourself?

It could be an advice/coping skill/tool for so many others!

Maybe even posting what you made/knitted/ordered during this time?

What grew in your yards?

I've been working on a cross-stitch project, bookmark, with Georgian flowers as the design. I picked up the kit for .50 cents at a thrift store 3 weeks before COVID-19 hit our area.

I hope everyone is safe and staying at home.
We have some members here working the front lines helping out in the hospitals, clinics and law enforcement. Thank You!

Yesterday solders from Fort Carson, Colo. arrived to build a field hospital, it will be used for non-Coronavirus patients.
A much needed relief for hospitals, this opens up hospital beds for patients with the virus

This is day three of the ‘stay at home’ for Washington State. It doesn’t make sense why the governor only placed a 14 day directive.
The governor announced yesterday the stay at home could be longer. Maybe he didn’t want people running to the grocery stores buying a months worth of groceries.

We are about two to three weeks away from peaking for this virus.

I plan on staying put at home. I can’t afford to catch this virus then pass it on to my husband. It would likely be a death sentence for him. Remission for leukemia.

Take care!

HA!! I think I've gone out of my home maybe 10 times since end of January. I've had food delivery services for a long time due to nature of my job. Moments notice overtime, long commutes of 2hrs + Anyway, I'm happy!! Aside from missing my adult child, no need to socialize. In fact it makes me anxious the "others" are reaching out wanting to "talk" cause they stir crazy!! Go away. Let the introverts enjoy this!!!

I completely understand. I am an introvert too. Never developed the gift of gab and I sure wish I did. I like the quiet. I like the peace except when UPS comes and the pups go bonkers.

Last edited:
Besides work, where do people constantly go, lol?
Maybe dinner, movie, drinks. For years now most of us shop online. I think there might be a psychological aspect at play as well as an anti-gov’ mindset.
Our Gov’ touched on Lexington (KY) police unable to enforce social distancing. What a shame any abiding citizen has to call 911 to report clusters of kids & adults. LE can only suggest they disperse. I think closing parks & playgrounds had to be done, they turned into a “look, there’s Johnny & his sister, if they can play, so can we....”, resulting in recreational clusters. As far as our campgrounds, why are they open? Evidently there is no social distancing going on at said campgrounds. Unfortunately, the camping trip will end & they all return home & wind up in stores. So, there’s that.
HA!! I think I've gone out of my home maybe 10 times since end of January. I've had food delivery services for a long time due to nature of my job. Moments notice overtime, long commutes of 2hrs + Anyway, I'm happy!! Aside from missing my adult child, no need to socialize. In fact it makes me anxious the "others" are reaching out wanting to "talk" cause they stir crazy!! Go away. Let the introverts enjoy this!!!

So heartbreaking. Italy's numbers continue to terrify me. Why is the death rate so high? Are they only testing those who are hospitalized? Or is it possible the death rate of this evil virus is really that high? :eek::(

May God Have Mercy On Us All.

MOO

Yes, they're only testing people if they think they're hospitalizing them.

Another factor is that Italy has so many old people. And northern Italy, in the regions hit, have more intergenerational households than nearly anywhere (Spain, Andorra, also hard hit). Further, as it turns out (unpublished but under submission study), the elderly in Italy remain far more social than in many places. They go out every evening for aperitivo and to greet friends and family (Madrid has a lot of this). Medium sized towns in Mexico are seeing higher rates for this reason, as well (higher rates than the big urban centers where people are in fact practicing social distancing but also, in the big Mexican cities, many people do not retain the nightly promenade practice).

Here in SoCal, it's the people who won't stay home from parks, beaches, trails, etc who are continuing to spread it (mostly asymptomatic) and they have now had a couple of weeks to transmit it to essential workers and to older family members.

Just remember, if you are 50 and under, you are probably going to be asymptomatic or have a very mild case. For those of us who are 60 and older, most of us will survive although it's probably not going to be very fun to go through.

I'm used to going out daily. However, I'm a big girl and can suck it up to preserve life. More people need to be big girls. Jmo

Adopting pets during the COVID-19 pandemic
I recommend adopting an adult cat or dog sitting in a shelter. Now is the time to be able to stay home with them and help them to adjust to having a new home. Plus, they are such good company and everyone wins!

My vet is still open....Have a cat getting neutered this Monday. Found him abandoned in a H2O run-off ditch by the road behind my house, he was just an unwanted tiny innocent kitten.
That's wonderful. We have a websleuther on this thread that is fostering a dog from an area shelter. That's a wonderful thing. We have 2 dogs (large) and we're taking care of a feral colony of cats. We're watching and learning their personalities, most of the time with a game cam. We've TNR'd 4 of the 8. Operation Catnip is shut down right now to keep everyone safe. So it'll be a while before we can do the others.

I’m around. Definitely not coming on here because it’s depressing. I’m trying to avoid most news about this and stay as positive as possible.

One day at a time, ya’ll.

I do have a lot of faith in science, in humanity and in all of us to be able to get through this. We can do it. And we will.

Love you guys.
Hi! I'm the one that asked about you. I hope you're able to avoid court. Thinking of you and all o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper