Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's wonderful. We have a websleuther on this thread that is fostering a dog from an area shelter. That's a wonderful thing. We have 2 dogs (large) and we're taking care of a feral colony of cats. We're watching and learning their personalities, most of the time with a game cam. We've TNR'd 4 of the 8. Operation Catnip is shut down right now to keep everyone safe. So it'll be a while before we can do the others.
Thankx. I forgot about fostering cats and dogs. Good time to do this also.

Cool Cat Joke:

https://welovecatsandkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/lol.jpg

I’m afraid too many kids abandoned their academics, due to lack of diligent parenting. I guess pass/fail is the guideline for most school districts & next year many kids might end up held back.
Idk why it is so difficult to find cool things for kids to do, either. From what I’m told, some of the subdivisions near me a lot of kids are kind of forced outside, to get out of mom’s hair, then the kids congregate. I think people need to realize this ain’t ending tomorrow & adapt.
I’ve never used a public pay to swim pool but ours is always packed, I doubt it will open this year, that will be another thing that won’t go over well. Jmo

FLORIDA

"This picture is from 3pm today.
You can see exactly where Duval County ends and St. John’s County begins.
All beaches in Duval are closed, while St. John’s only blocked parking at the beach.
Gov. DeSantis needs to order a state-wide closure of all Florida beaches." Travis Akers on Twitter
Travis Akers on Twitter

Media inquiries:
Photo credit: Clay Archer, Jacksonville Beach resident
Picture captured from his balcony with a 100-400GM with 1.6 extender.
Media has permission to use the photo. He asks that if any outlets use the image to please credit him.
Travis Akers on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_190623.jpg
    IMG_20200328_190623.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Besides work, where do people constantly go, lol?
Maybe dinner, movie, drinks. For years now most of us shop online. I think there might be a psychological aspect at play as well as an anti-gov’ mindset.
Our Gov’ touched on Lexington (KY) police unable to enforce social distancing. What a shame any abiding citizen has to call 911 to report clusters of kids & adults. LE can only suggest they disperse. I think closing parks & playgrounds had to be done, they turned into a “look, there’s Johnny & his sister, if they can play, so can we....”, resulting in recreational clusters. As far as our campgrounds, why are they open? Evidently there is no social distancing going on at said campgrounds. Unfortunately, the camping trip will end & they all return home & wind up in stores. So, there’s that.
By vehicle, I mainly go out to make a supply drop for my mom. I went to the post office Thursday to mail "treasure" packages to my grandkids who live on Long Island (NY) - no one in PO but me so that was easy as I was a bit leery to go. There is one park nearby that is open - for the walking paths only so I do check that out occasionally.

DH still goes to his office several days a week. He sees clients when they show up, but is mastering the tele-counseling technique. He practiced on me a couple time. :)

All these trips, including my mom's, are not more than 30 minutes drive.

Thankx. I forgot about fostering cats and dogs. Good time to do this also.

https://welovecatsandkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/lol.jpg
I’m contemplating adopting a puppy, but not 100% sure.
My gal is completely deaf due to fireworks a few years ago. Sadly she was fine 07/04 until a neighbor had a commercial firework event, the next day she kept tipping over & shaking her head. I had no idea what was wrong until I opened the fridge & she failed to hear me, then I knew. She’s also old & chubby, idk if she’d like a child dog around. I can’t foster, I would never be able to give the dog up. It would be too emotional. I’m really concerned too many dogs will wind up in shelters. Can Purina not send out vouchers? Send one to every address, anyone without animals can give theirs away. Moo

SCOTT GOTTLIEB

READ: This week tragic reality on ground will overtake events. There are multiple epicenters of U.S. spread. We'll grapple with national epidemic. April will be hard. We'll get through it. Focus must be on slowing spread nationally, support healthcare system, build back in May. Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

We can end the national epidemic with tough measures in April, and gradually restart our activity in May and June. As we do, we must focus on getting technology and tools to make sure we can end the current spread more quickly, save lives, and keep it from ever happening again.

That means
1. Massive surveillance system and point of care tests
2. Therapeutics to prevent infection or treat those sick or exposed
3. Eventually a vaccine.

Look to therapeutic antibodies as obtainable, near term promise. Technology will turn #Coronavirus into manageable threat.

Take it slow. Spend time with family. Protect the vulnerable. The CARES Act will help offset some the huge economic burdens. It's a very hard time. We'll get through it. It'll end. We must end it decisively and put in place tools and technology to make sure this doesn't return.

Hey Henry, remember in early threads the modellers predicted which cities in the US would be hit hardest.... now look at the graph you just posted, then the statistical mapping projection from January 31st. Guess what! Along with NYC, BINGO they were pretty prophetic.

They projected Columbia SC but I don't see that as a major outbreak yet? And they didn't identify Philly and Nashville.

img_20200328_174158-png.240739

This is the Johns Hopkins map from January 31st on the thread. ncov-model-2 – CSSE

foundit-jpg.229218

I’m contemplating adopting a puppy, but not 100% sure.
My gal is completely deaf due to fireworks a few years ago. Sadly she was fine 07/04 until a neighbor had a commercial firework event, the next day she kept tipping over & shaking her head. I had no idea what was wrong until I opened the fridge & she failed to hear me, then I knew. She’s also old & chubby, idk if she’d like a child dog around. I can’t foster, I would never be able to give the dog up. It would be too emotional. I’m really concerned too many dogs will wind up in shelters. Can Purina not send out vouchers? Send one to every address, anyone without animals can give theirs away. Moo

Oh no! I’m so sorry about your baby losing her hearing that way! Heartbreaking!

Oh
By vehicle, I mainly go out to make a supply drop for my mom. I went to the post office Thursday to mail "treasure" packages to my grandkids who live on Long Island (NY) - no one in PO but me so that was easy as I was a bit leery to go. There is one park nearby that is open - for the walking paths only so I do check that out occasionally.

DH still goes to his office several days a week. He sees clients when they show up, but is mastering the tele-counseling technique. He practiced on me a couple time. :)

All these trips, including my mom's, are not more than 30 minutes drive.
@zecats what did you put in the treasure boxes? Do tell.
I ordered a bunch of coloring books, crayons, markers & pencils for my nail salon techs to give their kids. They are up the creek. They all work on a cash basis, idk what will happen to them. I always felt sorry for their children, mostly forced to sit in the salon all summer all day. All well behaved, sitting quietly, with little to do. I’m going to make arrangements to get stuff to them next week, working on a strategy.

Last edited:
Alright, I just finished Wednesday’s WHO Presser.

I am pleased and relieved to report that, as of Wednesday’s PC, Dr. Tedros and Dr. Mike commented that they had just spoken directly with DT, Dr. Redfield and Dr. Fauci, and that WHO is pleased with their current level of commitment (paraphrasing). I had wondered in the past about the extent of direct communication between WHO and the White House. Dr. Mike said that he was impressed with Dr. Fauci’s breaking down of everything in his approaches...

This is a very short paraphrasing, but wanted to express my relief that Doc T and Dr. Mike indicate that the US is onboard and being proactive. I feel better knowing that Doc T and Dr. Mike have spoken directly with DT and the White House.

Last edited:
I hope everyone is safe and staying at home.
We have some members here working the front lines helping out in the hospitals, clinics and law enforcement. Thank You!

Yesterday solders from Fort Carson, Colo. arrived to build a field hospital, it will be used for non-Coronavirus patients.
A much needed relief for hospitals, this opens up hospital beds for patients with the virus

This is day three of the ‘stay at home’ for Washington State. It doesn’t make sense why the governor only placed a 14 day directive.
The governor announced yesterday the stay at home could be longer. Maybe he didn’t want people running to the grocery stores buying a months worth of groceries.

We are about two to three weeks away from peaking for this virus.

I plan on staying put at home. I can’t afford to catch this virus then pass it on to my husband. It would likely be a death sentence for him. Remission for leukemia.

Take care!
You are on a similar timeline as we are here in NJ...along with NY, CT, DE, PA, etc. Our gov (along with Cuomo NY) has told us there is no set time for removing shutdowns and social distancing (which he changed to calling "social solidarity.")

Last edited:
Hey Henry, remember in early threads the modellers predicted which cities in the US would be hit hardest.... now look at the graph you just posted, then the statistical mapping projection from January 31st. Guess what! Along with NYC, BINGO they were pretty prophetic.

They projected Columbia SC but I don't see that as a major outbreak yet? And they didn't identify Philly and Nashville.

img_20200328_174158-png.240739

This is the Johns Hopkins map from January 31st on the thread. ncov-model-2 – CSSE

foundit-jpg.229218
Yup....agreed. Kershaw, Richland, and Lexington counties are Columbia and make up a large portion of SC's totals.

Your point is what I'm most afraid....some of those worse case scenarios are going to happen.

That map is quite amazing after the fact...

Her vision is perfect, she’s fine and we have our own sign language. The sad part is one day she could hear perfectly and hours later nothing, so she had to immediately adjust.
Prob’ much dif’ than slowly losing it.
I might drive her to a nursing home or two, and walk her around so the residents can see her! Maybe I’ll do so tomorrow, weather permitting. She’s a ham as well as a stunning red head, maybe she can brighten an otherwise grim day for someone. The days must be hideously long for the elderly in nursing homes.
Oh no! I’m so sorry about your baby losing her hearing that way! Heartbreaking!

I got video from a traffic cam! Of the tornado.
I'll get the link and post in the correct thread.
View attachment 240752
SPRING BREAKERS CELL PHONES TRACKED AS THEY LEFT FLORIDA!!!! OMG These areas are where Coronavirus was spread.
Video at link:
Cellphone 'heat map' shows coronavirus' potential spread as spring break revelers went home

Isn't amazing that what is basically software used by marketing firms to track where their apps go...gives us this great epidemiological data.

Though it's horrifying to contemplate what has happened in Illinois (Chicago in particular) since they arrived. Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, Indiana...your college kids have brought it to you.

There's a tiny cluster in Albuquerque, a big one in Phoenix (WHY? Why, Arizona Students, why not just enjoy your own lovely state?)

Apparently, and for obvious reasons, almost no Spring Breakers from California went to Florida.

The above data was a snapshot of one set of Spring Break beach goers on a peak day.

I've read if the lungs aren't damaged when someone quits smoking the lungs will be healthy after 3 weeks of quitting.

It's strange, I've know some elderly people, both men, and women who have smoked all of their lives even into their 80s or 90s, but never experienced any lung problems.

Back when they started smoking many started right in the tobacco fields where the tobacco was really potent with no filtering at all. I dont know what rabbit tobacco even is, but I've heard many elderly say they smoked it.

I guess it's different for each individual who smoked or smokes.

Jmho
I think it is different for each individual because family medical history has to play a part. My southern grandmother drank and smoked but only in the privacy of her own home. She died at the age of 96.

Last edited:
Her vision is perfect, she’s fine and we have our own sign language. The sad part is one day she could hear perfectly and hours later nothing, so she had to immediately adjust.
Prob’ much dif’ than slowly losing it.
I might drive her to a nursing home or two, and walk her around so the residents can see her! Maybe I’ll do so tomorrow, weather permitting. She’s a ham as well as a stunning red head, maybe she can brighten an otherwise grim day for someone. The days must be hideously long for the elderly in nursing homes.

The Nursing home that my mother is at absolutely love when the therapy dogs come in. I am thinking of taking Becky to visit my mom - of course we will be outside. I am worried about my Mom. Becky is my rescued Jack Russell mix dog. She is best friends with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper