Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I sure want to know how everybody is doing and talk about how this is affecting people personally, but the main purpose of this thread I thought was to discuss facts and information about the virus.

This virus doesn’t know borders.
We need to have a global and national perspective as we monitor our own areas.
What happens in one place can affect what happens in another place. Everything is connected. We have to learn from other countries and States. This is a global situation.

We have to learn from what is happening in NY and what Cuomo is doing wrt to hospital overflow, etc. so we can all learn for when it happens to us. These are collaborative efforts. There is value in learning and monitoring collectively what is happening in the nation and world as a whole.

What is the purpose of this current main thread now? I’m barely seeing any news or science links now...Is this a chat thread now?

It seems to me the meat of the threads is disappearing.

It is difficult if not impossible to navigate around several different threads.

I was here for facts, information, studies, reports from the beginning...now everything is all over the place. These threads have gone through the cheese grater overnight. It’s going to be hard to proceed if there is not some unity.

I’m disappointed now there seem to be minimal msm, etc?

We are all going to miss out on a lot of important msm and information now bc it’s scattered all over the place.

I don’t have time to navigate and find 60 different threads or however many there are now.

We were doing just fine with the way the threads were before..what happened??

Yeah, I miss the old thread to where we discussed science, what governments were doing and analyzing against science etc. I set up a new thread that was what the main thread was in the beginning.

Science, Modelling (including actions and results of what top infected countries/states are doing)

This thread is for focus on sharing and discussing Science, Modelling, spread, facts, information, studies, reports, preparation for us all (including actions and results of what top infected countries/states are doing) information, worldwide, state-wide, small towns and counties not excluded - as we did in the first 35 or so threads.

ETA: I did a post there that would only be seen in Washington thread, but is so important to all MOO

"I've not seen anywhere, is that 30 long term care facilities in King C0unty had at least one Covid19 case. If I had an elder, I would have pulled them out long ago. A consideration for sure as the staff travels to and fro from center to center. SCARY. This is why so important to learn from OTHER states it hits first MOO" source link at linked thread" Science, Modelling (including actions and results of what top infected countries/states are doing)

Last edited:
So, the threads that were supposed to be for state information and statistics are now for general discussion of anything and everything by someone who lives in that state?

The topics become so narrow and there's almost no posting on statistics. I am hoping we'll continue to discuss the overall pandemic here (including how different states and regions are dealing).

For example, New York's peak is set to come in just 10 days - with 821 deaths per day. Horrific. The numbers should be increasing quickly.

Meanwhile with twice as many people as New York, California peaks later with just 120 deaths projected.

This is because of social distancing and being the first to "lock down." You can find the data here:

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

It's going to be several days, maybe 4-5, of New York having 800 deaths per day.

If Ohio strictly enforces stay at home, it will be at 57 deaths a day at its peak (with about ⅓ the population of California). Stay at home wasn't issued until March 23 (although the schools had closed on March 16 which of course really helped, as children are almost always asymptomatic and unnoticeable transmitters of CoVid if they have it).

We can also observe Iowa - it did not have any stay at home orders as of yesterday and the Governor says they will rely on good old Iowan common sense. With only 3 million residents (IIRC), their situation is quite different - population density is obviously an issue.

I hope this does not turn into a generic comments only kind of thread. While I enjoy many of these, I come here mostly for information, worldwide, state-wide, small towns and counties not excluded. MOO

Given the global pandemic, I too am interested in the global perspective. We all know what's happening in our own back yard, but what's happening in other backyards gives insight into trends that could impact our back yard.

What I find interesting is that every country is given no option other than to manufacture medical supplies locally. New industry could emerge as a result, which could shift global economies. This nationalist trend is inspiring inventors and DIY crowd source innovation to share ideas for national benefit. It's conceivable that Canada could emerge as a provider of face masks to the global community, or clothing manufacturers could permanently shift to medical clothing production.

Given the global pandemic, I too am interested in the global perspective. We all know what's happening in our own back yard, but what's happening in other backyards gives insight into trends that could impact our back yard.

What I find interesting is that every country is given no option other than to manufacture medical supplies locally. New industry could emerge as a result, which could shift global economies. This nationalist trend is inspiring inventors and DIY crowd source innovation to share ideas for national benefit. It's conceivable that Canada could emerge as a provider of face masks to the global community, or clothing manufacturers could permanently shift to medical clothing production.
I don’t think there are going to be a lot of permanent changes as far as industry goes, as eventually there will be a surplus of supplies, and the virus will subside.

Where I think the change will occur, will be in regards to world governments actually being prepared for a threat like this.

The next time something like this happens, everyone won’t be back on their heels.

Our grocery store routes people through a cleaning station, where disinfectant spray and paper towels are provided, plus gloves. They also limit the number of people in the store to 15. It's a big enough store that there is no need for any two people to be within 6' of one another. The checkout clerks are shielded with plexiglass barriers.

Folks can't take in their own bags, and no one is scanning air miles cards. It's possible to touch only your own purchases. The store staff, however, shelve the items and handle them through the scanner. My groceries will stay in the garage until Thursday.

There is also a limit of 2 of any one item, so no one is hoarding. I noticed a calm in the store this morning. Everything was very clean. But even so, I won't be buying anything that is sliced, baked, or ground on site.

What state or region are you in? This is awesome.

Hope all are doing well today! I enjoy hearing about planting seeds and flowering trees, so forth. Interesting to hear what is going on with everyone like hearing about your pets, jobs, family life and more. I need a place to read what our spread across the states family members are going through. It seems this was the thread, hate to lose it.

I don’t think there are going to be a lot of permanent changes as far as industry goes, as eventually there will be a surplus of supplies, and the virus will subside.

Where I think the change will occur, will be in regards to world governments actually being prepared for a threat like this.

The next time something like this happens, everyone won’t be back on their heels.
MassGuy, we love you. The eternal optimist.

I have a different view and one I won’t discuss.

One day at a time. :)

That’s so funny.... but not.

I can’t find it anywhere. Then I get an alert on my phone telling me to stay home.

REALLY?
Actually there are articles on the internet on how to make your own tp. Not that I'm into that, I was looking at how they make tp and they popped up. Which leads me to wonder, why is tp still in short supply?

MOO

Well, I had posted some very important posts re: Instacart, Amazon, Whole Foods strikes.

The reason for this was to document problems in our national supply chains as far as logistics wrt food delivery, something I’ve been talking about since day 1. This is something we all need to know! Looking for post. Maybe it’s in grocery tips idk.

Last edited:
Here is an idea: there are going to be a lot of sleuthers with extra time who are great at sourcing news articles and timelines.

Perhaps they could volunteer to populate the various state threads with information and facts and news articles like they do in the sticky "timeline/media" threads for cases. That way people who want just the news have a great resource of threads specific to states/regions but this main thread doesn't lose all of the posts we are discussing.

There's no reason there can't be this "main" thread like on a case and separate timeline/media threads like we have in every case.

Actually there are articles on the internet on how to make your own tp. Not that I'm into that, I was looking at how they make tp and they popped up. Which leads me to wonder, why is tp still in short supply?

MOO
I know. Why?

All I have seen is how you can cut paper towels in short pieces. So can anyone find paper towels anymore? Is there a mass conspiracy to have us all kill one another for toilet paper? Kidding of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member