Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because, people would rather shop once for garden items, than rely on the store for fresh veggies all summer.
No chance that seeds and seedlings can be mail ordered- or curb pick up only?

When I went, there were far more rose and ornamental play buyers than seed buyers. Heck, both seeds and germination kits were very well stocked. They looked well, how they have always looked before the crisis- minimal interest.

My brother is a nursing professor. He called me this afternoon to tell me he was tested and he has it. His wife is a dialysis tech and when she called her work to tell them she has to quarantine, her boss said NO, you have to come in. She declined. I don't want my brother to die. He is not hospitalized, sol I guess that is a good sign,
Keeping your Brother in my thoughts for a very good outcome. Hugs for you too.

Do you think there will be a shortage of vegetables this summer?

Yes, and high prices on produce.

In the short-term, lack of air freight and trucker shortages are disrupting deliveries of fresh food.

Longer-term, lack of labour is affecting planting and harvesting and could cause shortages and rising prices for staple crops in a throwback to the food crises that shook developing nations a decade ago.

Explainer: How the coronavirus crisis is affecting food supply

If Canada can see its way clear to give fast track immigration to nurses - if the nurses desire - I wouldn't call it pirating.

Tempting people into a short term, high risk situation is, IMO, unethical. If people know the risks and still volunteer, that's an intermediate category.

Canada better not promise safe conditions and better wages without a longterm guarantee of staying. Humans do not uproot well. Don't make US medical personnel into involuntary migrants over the longterm.

I had the same concern when I saw that Germany was recruiting nurses from the Philippines.

This may have been suggested before but if you have an underlying health condition, especially a lung disease or respiratory illness it would be a good idea to get one of those medical alert signs for your front door just in case you have to call EMS.

Chris seems upbeat. He is actually quite humorous about his condition. Yeah 13# in two days. Profuse sweating.
Says he still has a fever and doesn't sleep much. Can't imagine not having a fever. Changes clothes 7 times a day because of being soaked in sweat. He didn't look too bad, I think he's big on projecting optimism. Yesterday IIRC he said he lost 13 pounds in just a day or two.

Still on right now with another patient, a paramedic who is terrified of going back to work with no PPE, and worried about getting it again. Her husband has it too, and they have 2 small kids, one of whom just developed a fever a couple of days ago.

Yes, and high prices on produce.

In the short-term, lack of air freight and trucker shortages are disrupting deliveries of fresh food.

Longer-term, lack of labour is affecting planting and harvesting and could cause shortages and rising prices for staple crops in a throwback to the food crises that shook developing nations a decade ago.

Explainer: How the coronavirus crisis is affecting food supply
That's not good. If food runs out in stores I can see great social unrest with violence as a result.

Bullets along with seeds may be a wise choice. JMO.

My brother is a nursing professor. He called me this afternoon to tell me he was tested and he has it. His wife is a dialysis tech and when she called her work to tell them she has to quarantine, her boss said NO, you have to come in. She declined. I don't want my brother to die. He is not hospitalized, sol I guess that is a good sign,
I am truly sorry to hear about your brother. Hope he gets his health back soon. I hope you both have love and support nearby from others. I can't believe his wife is told to work!, I have heard that crazy idea from others being told to keep working unless they have symptoms.

No chance that seeds and seedlings can be mail ordered- or curb pick up only?

When I went, there were far more rose and ornamental play buyers than seed buyers. Heck, both seeds and germination kits were very well stocked. They looked well, how they have always looked before the crisis- minimal interest.
Seeds are selling out fast in my area in Idaho and we can't even safely plant until the end of May.

I just find it ridiculous that so much emphasis was put on hand washing, and public was specifically told masks don't help and could hurt, when it appears the virus is likely airborne and could be transmitted by simply breathing or talking with an infected person (who might not even know they are infected yet). Hand washing is good in general, but how is it going to protect you fully from an airborne virus?
Why were we given such an awful advice?

yep that is upsetting
I knew and you knew and many others knew all along that mask advice was bull

That's not good. If food runs out in stores I can see great social unrest with violence as a result.

Bullets along with seeds may be a wise choice. JMO.
Meanwhile,

Wisconsin dairy farmers dumping milk as prices fall
While many grocers are limiting the amount of milk individual consumers can buy, the dairy industry is reeling from decreased demand due to the widespread closures of restaurants and other food service buyers — leading dairy cooperatives to ask farmers to discard fresh milk in an effort to prop up prices.

Sounds great. This weekend a friend who lives nearby and I are planning to meet at a community park between our homes and have an in-person chat. We would like to walk around together but doubt this will work, so we may just stand 6 feet apart for our conversation. But that will be fine!
I hate to be that person, but this doesn’t sound safe. I regret having talked to my best friend yesterday at 6 feet apart for less than ten minutes. Had we both been masked, maybe.

Sorry, hanging out while 6 feet apart isn’t coronavirus social distancing, expert says

I didn't feel it here in Orange County.

I’m here in Orange County too. There was a certain point this afternoon when I thought I felt something super small and I wondered what would happen if we had a large earthquake. But it wasn’t the same time.

I’m sorry to hear about your brother. Thank goodness he’s not serious enough to need the hospital right now.

My elderly neighbor’s daughter had to move in with her because her caretaker has it. I JUST saw that lady a day or two ago in her car in my neighbor’s driveway. Scary. It terrifies me how many people are getting this.

IMO-if u are in a grocery store etc. then yes wear a mask or face covering you have available. My concern is will people think they can be within the 6 ft. distance as they are masking? Will they keep touching it to adjust it? The only time I will wear one is when I am in a situation such as a grocery store where I cant control what others do. I want the Health Care Workers to have them who are in close contact with positive Patients.

I hate to be that person, but this doesn’t sound safe. I regret having talked to my best friend yesterday at 6 feet apart for less than ten minutes. Had we both been masked, maybe.

Sorry, hanging out while 6 feet apart isn’t coronavirus social distancing, expert says

Outside should be okay due to the breeze, don’t you think? As long as no one is sneezing or coughing?

Man, I can only wish that people in my area stayed six feet away from one another. I see neighbors or groups of friends walking side by side. I assume their friends because there will be like two moms and a bunch of kids who look to be the same age. It’s crazy.

A friend of mine just texted me today to let me know that 10 carloads of Chapman University students rolled up and are having a party in a backyard by his house in Orange. Wth? I told him to call the police. He did. The police said they went but didn’t notice anything and left because they didn’t want to put their officers at risk. By which I take it to mean they didn’t go up to the door.

Those students are now going to catch and spread the disease all over the place. It’s so damn irresponsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizz28