Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One can only hope that they are wrong. :-(

The US surgeon general warned the country on Sunday that it will face a “Pearl Harbor moment” in the next week, with an unprecedented numbers of coronavirus deaths expected coast to coast.

“The next week is going to be our Pearl Harbor moment. It’s going to be our 9/11 moment,” Jerome Adams told NBC News’ Meet the Press.

“It’s going to be the hardest moment for many Americans in their entire lives, and we really need to understand that if we want to flatten that curve and get through to the other side, everyone needs to do their part.”

Adams’s thoughts were echoed by Dr Anthony Fauci, the country’s foremost infectious diseases expert.

“Things are going to get bad and we need to be prepared for that,” Fauci said on CBS’s Face the Nation. “It’s going to be shocking to some and it certainly is really disturbing to see that … Just buckle down.

“We’ve got to get through this week that is coming up because it’s going to be a bad week.”

US surgeon general warns of 'Pearl Harbor moment' as Americans face 'hardest week'

My husband and I were just talking about this a bit ago. How can anyone not find anything to do? It is springtime and there are a lot of house chores to be done. We have been very busy. Even an apartment needs a deep cleaning. And how much outdoor activity did people do back when they were working? Now suddenly it is important? IMO, there are a lot of people that just don't like to be told what to do.

And what is with bringing your entire family of 5 plus to the grocery store? Mom, dad, and the oldest kid who is old enough to stay home and babysit? Or the fact that one parent could not stay home with the kids? I have never seen so many families shopping together. The aisles are crowded enough as it is.

I apologize for jumping off your post and ranting. :)

YES! We talk about this all the time. Aren’t there hobbies that people always wanted to try? All of those things we “never have the time for” when working? You can order art supplies online, musical instruments, yarn, coloring books, paint by numbers. Almost every book ever written is available through ebook now. Cooking lessons stream free. We can watch every movie ever filmed from the comfort of our homes. Everything you’ve ever wanted to learn you can find lessons for on YouTube.

I don’t understand it. I understand being sad and lonely about not seeing friends and family. I don’t understand the need to wander around big box stores.

It’s called “justification”, imo.
Right? And to be clear we are not shopping at all. About twice a week we go for a drive to see if anyone is staying home. Nope. Many many large families out and about. Our governor reversed course on restaurants saying it is ok to go inside to order from the counter. But you must take your food home. I saw a family walk into Carles Jr. I didn't realize getting take out required 4 people.

Tiger at Bronx Zoo believed to be first animal to test positive for COVID-19

- A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the coronavirus becoming what is believed to be the first animal with COVID-19, according to Natasha Daly of National Geographic
.....six other animals that include lions and tigers at the Bronx Zoo are currently showing symptoms.
So when this disease takes off on the African continent among humans, will it wipe out all the wild cats? Reminds me of the Denver mural about the extinct animals.

BBM. Evidently for vacation behavior. In also hearing from true outdoor enthusiasts. Runners, mountain bikers, etc. And they are saying the same thing. WTH did all the families come from? The trails have been so packed that you are exposed to them. They hog up the trails and you are forced to walk through them to get by. Unbelievable.
Remember, a large amount of population now get more money than ever.

Sorry, the surgeon general's Pearl Harbor analogy is ridiculous; the attack at Pearl was a sneak attack -- no warnings. Covid? We knew quite well in January that the disease was coming and of the need to act.

I dont think that is what they even meant.

Imo, they mean it's going to be a monumental catastrophic event for all of the nation that will always be remembered.

I agree 100%.

None of the 171 iirc countries worldwide were prepared for this. None.

Jmho

Thomas P. Bossert@TomBossert

"Diagnostic tests weren't needed to see the problem in NYC. This chart, reported weekly, shows syndromic surveillance. You can see the impact of #coronavirus in red. ILI data show a restart of "flu-like" illness after seasonal flu had ended. The evidence was clear week 10 (3/1-7)."

ILI - Influenza Like Illness

EUxLqzxWsAYPUXY

Thomas P. Bossert on Twitter

In coronavirus response, we only get 2 strikes: OPINION

More than 1.2 million people have been infected with a new coronavirus that has spread widely from its origin in China over the past few months. Over 67,000 have already died. Our comprehensive guide for understanding and navigating this global public health threat is below.

This is a rapidly developing epidemic, and we will update this guide periodically to keep you as prepared and informed as possible.

Don’t Panic: The comprehensive Ars Technica guide to the coronavirus [Updated 4/5]

Last edited:
Work is exhausting. Commutes are exhausting. It's bad for the economy on the large scale and a personal scale, but not a bad thing health-wise that Americans are finally getting enough sleep and enjoying the outdoors and family time (it's bad if they aren't distancing). Some might call that...European.

Last edited:

Imo, they mean it's going to be a monumental catastrophic event for all of the nation that will always be remembered.

I agree 100%.

Jmho
Some more than others, and some to the extent where they were able to swing into action pretty efficiently. Iceland, Germany, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan (not exactly a country), and good old Finland....Finland, ‘Prepper Nation of the Nordics,’ Isn’t Worried About Masks

I agree 100%.

Jmho

I agree that Jerome Adams was talking about the “the hardest moment for many Americans in their entire lives” in the sense that the coming week(s) will shape a generation or two of Americans as Pearl Harbor and 9-11 have.

In all fairness, I think distancing & isolating mean little.
How can anyone expect either to be taken seriously if large auto plants employing 8k+ continue to operate? Or, on a smaller scale, the box stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot