Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hertfordshire hospital forced to consider who should be refused oxygen

Some more info about Watford General who declared the critical incident yesterday.

"Oxygen supplies at a Hertfordshire hospital inundated with coronavirus patients became so precarious last week that officials considered how to decide who should receive the gas and who should miss out and likely die, the Guardian understands.

The oxygen system at Watford general hospital came close to breaking point on Saturday, when a critical incident was declared and staff had to tell the public not to come to the hospital. Some patients were moved out to prevent the vital system failing.

Last week, health planners in Hertfordshire, where more than 800 cases of coronavirus have been recorded, became so concerned about oxygen supplies they alerted the military that they might need help. The area has been under huge pressure from the Covid-19 pandemic, with mortuary space filling up and plans being made to increase capacity four-fold. As of 5pm Thursday, 29 people had died at West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS trust hospitals after being diagnosed with Covid-19. The trust is responsible for Watford general as well as Hemel Hempstead and St Albans City hospitals.

A senior clinician said: “They were [consulting] the hospital ethics committee every day and considering who they were not going to oxygenate and ventilate if they needed it, and making decisions about who would be triaged to not have oxygen and die.”

The decision to announce a critical incident on Saturday meant no one had to go without oxygen, the trust said.

Oxygen therapy is key to the successful treatment of advanced cases of Covid-19, and last Tuesday NHS England warned hospitals across the country about the risk to supplies in an urgent patient safety notice. It highlighted the dramatic recent increase in hospitals’ use of ventilators and in particular CPAP machines, which dispense ventilation through a face mask. "

More at link

Not good at all!!!! But wasn't it found that the virus can be transmitted to cats and ferrets from humans?

I read it to be feral cats.

But yes, you are correct.

It's really terrifying no matter who can get it.

I still think so many things are still unknown about this virus, and who all can get it including certain pets or wild animals.

Imoo

People are making plastic full face masks out of 2 litre soda bottles.... with some elastic bra straps "instant welders mask".

Yes - I'm seeing that and think it's a fine idea. Probably better than a cotton mask. Pretty easy to do (my DH created one in about 5 minutes, we velcroed it onto a headband made of a sock - really not attractive. It didn't really need that. It can be away from your face, say taped onto a hat.

Fun.

The best answer I heard to the TP question (and hoarding) is that in a crisis, people typically choose one thing they know they can control and then overdo that thing. It's largely cultural. So in the US, it was TP.

At the same time, our household consists of two busy (usually overworked) professionals, so we always stock up on toilet paper. Our goal is to go to the store just once a month, always.

So we already had quite a bit of TP. We have it on subscribe and save on Amazon and it comes every three months (again, trying to cut down on the number of trips someone else has to make in a vehicle).

I was able to get a bunch of those cheap paper napkins from InstaCart two weeks ago. If this goes on into July, though - we are going to have to look through the book collection pretty carefully. The books with thin pages are mostly old and precious, so dunno what we'll do. We do have a handheld shower right next to the toilet, though - as most Europeans do (or they have a bidet).

Save your squirt bottles. Get or improvise a shower cap if your hairstyle is an issue, because a quick shower is way nicer to me than using rags or pages from books.

WHY we would continue to have a TP shortage, though, I have no clue. Surely people will not continue to buy 10X as much TP for the rest of all American history?

:eek:
Walmart here in the boonies had plenty of toilet paper early this morning. How is the teaching from home going @10ofRods ?

Oh my. You will be attacked for this, I’m afraid. I’ve said the same from day one. School is closed for what reason?

BBM. Evidently for vacation behavior. In also hearing from true outdoor enthusiasts. Runners, mountain bikers, etc. And they are saying the same thing. WTH did all the families come from? The trails have been so packed that you are exposed to them. They hog up the trails and you are forced to walk through them to get by. Unbelievable.

(Good. I hope my county does the same)

Riverside County Residents Now Under Mandate To Not Leave Homes Without Face Coverings

RIVERSIDE (CBSLA) — In the wake of rapidly rising numbers of COVID-19 cases, Riverside County public health officials are mandating that residents wear face coverings when leaving their homes.

Face coverings can include bandanas, scarves, neck gaiters or other clothing that do not have visible holes.

Hertfordshire hospital forced to consider who should be refused oxygen

Some more info about Watford General who declared the critical incident yesterday.

"Oxygen supplies at a Hertfordshire hospital inundated with coronavirus patients became so precarious last week that officials considered how to decide who should receive the gas and who should miss out and likely die, the Guardian understands.

The oxygen system at Watford general hospital came close to breaking point on Saturday, when a critical incident was declared and staff had to tell the public not to come to the hospital. Some patients were moved out to prevent the vital system failing.

Last week, health planners in Hertfordshire, where more than 800 cases of coronavirus have been recorded, became so concerned about oxygen supplies they alerted the military that they might need help. The area has been under huge pressure from the Covid-19 pandemic, with mortuary space filling up and plans being made to increase capacity four-fold. As of 5pm Thursday, 29 people had died at West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS trust hospitals after being diagnosed with Covid-19. The trust is responsible for Watford general as well as Hemel Hempstead and St Albans City hospitals.

A senior clinician said: “They were [consulting] the hospital ethics committee every day and considering who they were not going to oxygenate and ventilate if they needed it, and making decisions about who would be triaged to not have oxygen and die.”

The decision to announce a critical incident on Saturday meant no one had to go without oxygen, the trust said.

Oxygen therapy is key to the successful treatment of advanced cases of Covid-19, and last Tuesday NHS England warned hospitals across the country about the risk to supplies in an urgent patient safety notice. It highlighted the dramatic recent increase in hospitals’ use of ventilators and in particular CPAP machines, which dispense ventilation through a face mask. "

More at link

I was already crying when I read this (sometimes this thing gets to all of us), but it is SO worrying that UK is out of oxygen (and in an island situation with no real allies to guarantee regular shipment).

UK needs to lose its pride and beg for oxygen - or immediately begin production of its own. It was one of my first worries and it is still a huge worry in Los Angeles, I haven't heard Gov Newsom mention it as critical - and I know he's listening to the major medical centers. I think and believe that our big tertiary centers have massive oxygen-generation capacity (even smaller hospitals have that here in California - sometimes).

The issue, here, are the canisters (they need to be really heavy duty, not like aerosol cans). Reusing canisters is the obvious fix and California can do that. And has done it in the past (fires and earthquakes have forced us). Wildland firefighters must have oxygen on hand. Hospitals where there are fires must be able to generate a bit of oxygen.

What's up, UK? How can we help? Is this going to be your "everything is on fire" moment? It's very scary. I'm on a bunch of UK forums and the traffic is way down, it really worries me.

Uhh... how in the world?
Tiger @ BRONX ZOO + for coronavirus. As in COVID-19??
Not good!

"The 4-year-old Malayan tiger, and six other tigers and lions that have also fallen ill, are believed to have been infected by a zoo employee"
WATE 6 On Your Side
Whoa. Just when you thought it couldn’t get any more.... Idk. Moo

That is shocking-- i watch the Bronx Zoo on Animal Planet--that is
terrible!

Here's another conflicting report, also with a doi

"A total of 565 Japanese citizens were evacuated from Wuhan, China to Japan. All passengers were screened for symptoms and also undertook reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction testing, identifying 5 asymptomatic and 7 symptomatic passengers testing positive for 2019-nCoV. We show that the screening result is suggestive of the asymptomatic ratio at 41.6%."​

Estimation of the asymptomatic ratio of novel coronavirus infections (COVID-19)
https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30139-9/pdf

That makes three reports with 3 conflicting conclusions: 17%, 80%, 42%

Every report forms part of the picture, even ones that seem to give different data. There are clearly other factors involved. Perhaps one population was infected longer than another, or one group was predominantly older or younger. There are likely variables that lead to different results, but it's all good data. Epidemiologists need all that information to learn how COVID plays out in the human population.

I just left my local Kroger. They are restricting admittance to one person/one buggy. I did see a handicapped gentleman in a scooter who had his wife with him. Otherwise, only one in at a time. Very good.

Yes, that's good, but why go in at all? Wouldn't it be better if you could place your order and pick it up curbside from the store where only the staff can walk through the doors?

I was already crying when I read this (sometimes this thing gets to all of us), but it is SO worrying that UK is out of oxygen (and in an island situation with no real allies to guarantee regular shipment).

UK needs to lose its pride and beg for oxygen - or immediately begin production of its own. It was one of my first worries and it is still a huge worry in Los Angeles, I haven't heard Gov Newsom mention it as critical - and I know he's listening to the major medical centers. I think and believe that our big tertiary centers have massive oxygen-generation capacity (even smaller hospitals have that here in California - sometimes).

The issue, here, are the canisters (they need to be really heavy duty, not like aerosol cans). Reusing canisters is the obvious fix and California can do that. And has done it in the past (fires and earthquakes have forced us). Wildland firefighters must have oxygen on hand. Hospitals where there are fires must be able to generate a bit of oxygen.

What's up, UK? How can we help? Is this going to be your "everything is on fire" moment? It's very scary. I'm on a bunch of UK forums and the traffic is way down, it really worries me.

I think by declaring a critical incident it meant they could call on the Military to help with oxygen supplies. That Trust is responsible for a large area North of London and so I hope the situation has improved now.

We are not out of oxygen....yet. That one hospital reached its critical limit but said nobody had gone without oxygen as a result. No reports of oxygen running out anywhere else.

There are concerns, of course, and the situation could change very quickly A friend of mine works on a CV ward in a city hospital and at the moment (as of yesterday morning when I spoke to her) they are coping ok: enough beds, enough ventilators, enough oxygen and enough staff. Empty wards ready to be used as and when needed and the other hospital in the city all set up to start accepting patients too.

I don't think we're in any better or worse situation than any other country that's been hit hard (except Germany, who are proving themselves to be just as efficient as their stereotype!). We might just about manage, we might run out of equipment, doctors might have to make decisions. But we're not there now/yet, thankfully.

Thank you again for your concern though, it really is appreciated. Hope you got the elbow bump I sent earlier :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skoorboh54