Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
United Kingdom

Matt Hancock admits Britain will fall short of ventilator capacity by the time coronavirus peaks within 10 days

Britain will not meet its goal of full ventilator capacity by the time the coronaviruspeaks, Health Secretary Matt Hancock warned last night.

He said the country was on track to have ventilators for 18,000 patients – but they may not be in place in time.

Matt Hancock admits Britain will fall short of ventilator capacity | Daily Mail Online

It is an absolute scandal that we only have 11,500 ventilators for a country with 66.5 million people in it. The U.K government is in for a terrible time when people’s loved ones are dying because there are not enough ventilators.

Same situation here, although my husband says he can skip a month (the darned pharmacy didn't have his main Rx in stock - they aren't sure when it's coming, there are supply disruptions right now). Our very stupid insurer is "considering" allowing people to buy more than one month of a drug sometimes besides from them. They were not successful in getting certain Rx's to us on time either.

SO. Yeah, we have to really suit up to go those places. I keep forgetting my gloves. I have some nice leather gloves I have no reason to wear, and I have leather cleaner and have a disinfectant that's okay for such materials. Got a mask (we went through the Thomas fire, ashes in the air for weeks, it's still pretty dusty when the wind blows from the burn areas).

We haven't gotten to the phase of undressing on the front porch, ha.
I've been trying for years to get my husband an extra month of all meds to stockpile just in case. Insurance/pharmacy/doctor all denied multiple times. Very frustrating. I realize some get their meds through the mail, but I do not trust our mail system--mail in the wrong boxes, lost mail etc. Goodness knows the powers that be wouldn't believe me if I told them the meds were lost in the mail.

I need a glass of wine.

OMG.
Guess they don’t have parents or grandparents they care about.

Right? And to be clear we are not shopping at all. About twice a week we go for a drive to see if anyone is staying home. Nope. Many many large families out and about. Our governor reversed course on restaurants saying it is ok to go inside to order from the counter. But you must take your food home. I saw a family walk into Carles Jr. I didn't realize getting take out required 4 people.

Downing Street insisted it was just a precautionary measure but Johnson’s admission on a Sunday evening comes after days of rumours that his condition has been worsening.
The Guardian was told last week that Johnson was more seriously ill than either he or his officials were prepared to admit, and that he was being seen by doctors who were concerned about his breathing.
It is understood Johnson remains in charge of the government, although Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary and first secretary of state, is poised to take charge if he should worse.

Boris Johnson admitted to hospital with coronavirus
oh my heavens.... where did you hear the rumours???

My husband and I were just talking about this a bit ago. How can anyone not find anything to do? It is springtime and there are a lot of house chores to be done. We have been very busy. Even an apartment needs a deep cleaning. And how much outdoor activity did people do back when they were working? Now suddenly it is important? IMO, there are a lot of people that just don't like to be told what to do.

And what is with bringing your entire family of 5 plus to the grocery store? Mom, dad, and the oldest kid who is old enough to stay home and babysit? Or the fact that one parent could not stay home with the kids? I have never seen so many families shopping together. The aisles are crowded enough as it is.

I apologize for jumping off your post and ranting. :)
Oh my. You will be attacked for this, I’m afraid. I’ve said the same from day one. School is closed for what reason?

I've been trying for years to get my husband an extra month of all meds to stockpile just in case. Insurance/pharmacy/doctor all denied multiple times. Very frustrating. I realize some get their meds through the mail, but I do not trust our mail system--mail in the wrong boxes, lost mail etc. Goodness knows the powers that be wouldn't believe me if I told them the meds were lost in the mail.

I need a glass of wine.

and you wanted just two months worth?
I get automatic 3 months doctor/pharmacy (some 1 month/2 refills; some 3 months worth all at once)
if I don't have a refill on something, I have the pharmacy contact my doctor to get it

BBM in red -Virus needs water molecules to remain viable until entering a host.

I think wearing a cotton mask is dangerous for that reason. Person breathes into the mask, making it moist, the virus landing on it can multiply and penetrate the mask since there's no effective filter in the mask, if homemade.

This is why I'm making a few masks made out of reusable grocery bags that is somewhat waterproof.
Make your own face mask—no sewing machine required
Virus doesn't multiple without a host. It can remain "alive" on surfaces but it won't be multiplying. If you don't want to make masks out of cotton, I've seen instructions on how to make them out of HEPA vacuum bags. Those actually filter particles.

The best answer I heard to the TP question (and hoarding) is that in a crisis, people typically choose one thing they know they can control and then overdo that thing. It's largely cultural. So in the US, it was TP.

At the same time, our household consists of two busy (usually overworked) professionals, so we always stock up on toilet paper. Our goal is to go to the store just once a month, always.

So we already had quite a bit of TP. We have it on subscribe and save on Amazon and it comes every three months (again, trying to cut down on the number of trips someone else has to make in a vehicle).

I was able to get a bunch of those cheap paper napkins from InstaCart two weeks ago. If this goes on into July, though - we are going to have to look through the book collection pretty carefully. The books with thin pages are mostly old and precious, so dunno what we'll do. We do have a handheld shower right next to the toilet, though - as most Europeans do (or they have a bidet).

Save your squirt bottles. Get or improvise a shower cap if your hairstyle is an issue, because a quick shower is way nicer to me than using rags or pages from books.

WHY we would continue to have a TP shortage, though, I have no clue. Surely people will not continue to buy 10X as much TP for the rest of all American history?

:eek:

Just think about it.... rags and hot water ----> like a "handheld bidet". How French is that?

UK PM Johnson admitted to hospital with persistent coronavirus symptoms

1 hour ago
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was admitted to hospital for tests on Sunday after showing persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus.

"On the advice of his doctor, the Prime Minister has tonight been admitted to hospital for tests," Downing Street said. "This is a precautionary step, as the Prime Minister continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allihounds