Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are obviously conflicting reports regarding the percent of population that are asymptomatic. I recall the woman from China, who attended a meeting in Germany, claimed to be asymptomatic. Then we heard that she was taking medications to suppress symptoms.

I'm inclined to believe reports that are not based on Chinese stats.

Well, all the other reports say the same thing. Did you actually read the methodology? This was a pretty well-done study, not done by Chinese doctors, but by epidemiologists in UK.

Every single place they've done studies of this aspect, it comes to about 80% are asymptomatic (and there's secondary literature on why and who - as we all know, people under 20 are not showing symptoms for the most part - indeed, people under 40 are relatively immune from symptoms - and that includes moderate symptoms).

But there's way more to learn from the asymptomatic who have the antibodies. We don't have a lot of US data (and Canada has zero data on antibodies that I've read). No one in the Western hemisphere is studying this.

So Asian databases remain a good source of information about the course of this virus.

Here's the study again for those who might not have seen it.

Covid-19: four fifths of cases are asymptomatic, China figures indicate

This is why it's so hard for younger people to self-isolate. Not only do they feel immune, they pretty much are immune and are not dying in great numbers from CoVid. Nearly all the youthful dead are found to have prior conditions, sometimes undiagnosed. That we do know from non-Chinese data.

Is there a reason you think that all doctors in China would falsify the course of the illness? They are not all Chinese (some were American, some were British). I can see China refusing to estimate total number of deaths, but not their antibody studies, which are done by reputable doctors and scientists.

Nice post. You are correct. There is a protocol in the military and unless it is followed, chaos ensues.

At that same time, he is a hero. Things are not always black and white.

I'm glad that he wasn't stripped of rank.

This is the best answer. a Hero for Humanity. But military protocol must be adhered to. I still want to find out more facts. And i hope he recovers well...

Right? I mean I’m sure we have an old telephone book somewhere.

The best answer I heard to the TP question (and hoarding) is that in a crisis, people typically choose one thing they know they can control and then overdo that thing. It's largely cultural. So in the US, it was TP.

At the same time, our household consists of two busy (usually overworked) professionals, so we always stock up on toilet paper. Our goal is to go to the store just once a month, always.

So we already had quite a bit of TP. We have it on subscribe and save on Amazon and it comes every three months (again, trying to cut down on the number of trips someone else has to make in a vehicle).

I was able to get a bunch of those cheap paper napkins from InstaCart two weeks ago. If this goes on into July, though - we are going to have to look through the book collection pretty carefully. The books with thin pages are mostly old and precious, so dunno what we'll do. We do have a handheld shower right next to the toilet, though - as most Europeans do (or they have a bidet).

Save your squirt bottles. Get or improvise a shower cap if your hairstyle is an issue, because a quick shower is way nicer to me than using rags or pages from books.

WHY we would continue to have a TP shortage, though, I have no clue. Surely people will not continue to buy 10X as much TP for the rest of all American history?

:eek:

Well, all the other reports say the same thing. Did you actually read the methodology? This was a pretty well-done study, not done by Chinese doctors, but by epidemiologists in UK.

Every single place they've done studies of this aspect, it comes to about 80% are asymptomatic (and there's secondary literature on why and who - as we all know, people under 20 are not showing symptoms for the most part - indeed, people under 40 are relatively immune from symptoms - and that includes moderate symptoms).

But there's way more to learn from the asymptomatic who have the antibodies. We don't have a lot of US data (and Canada has zero data on antibodies that I've read). No one in the Western hemisphere is studying this.

So Asian databases remain a good source of information about the course of this virus.

Here's the study again for those who might not have seen it.

Covid-19: four fifths of cases are asymptomatic, China figures indicate

This is why it's so hard for younger people to self-isolate. Not only do they feel immune, they pretty much are immune and are not dying in great numbers from CoVid. Nearly all the youthful dead are found to have prior conditions, sometimes undiagnosed. That we do know from non-Chinese data.

Is there a reason you think that all doctors in China would falsify the course of the illness? They are not all Chinese (some were American, some were British). I can see China refusing to estimate total number of deaths, but not their antibody studies, which are done by reputable doctors and scientists.

Here's another conflicting report, also with a doi

"A total of 565 Japanese citizens were evacuated from Wuhan, China to Japan. All passengers were screened for symptoms and also undertook reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction testing, identifying 5 asymptomatic and 7 symptomatic passengers testing positive for 2019-nCoV. We show that the screening result is suggestive of the asymptomatic ratio at 41.6%."​

Estimation of the asymptomatic ratio of novel coronavirus infections (COVID-19)
https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30139-9/pdf

That makes three reports with 3 conflicting conclusions: 17%, 80%, 42%

(Irish prime minister) Taoiseach will work as a doctor one day a week

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has re-registered as a medical practitioner and will work one shift a week to help out during the coronavirus crisis.

Mr Varadkar worked as a doctor for seven years before leaving the profession to become a politician and was removed from the medical register in 2013.

He rejoined the medical register in March, and offered his services to the HSE for one session a week, in areas that are within his scope of practice, a spokesperson for his office confirmed.

Taoiseach returning to medicine one day a week

Downing Street insisted it was just a precautionary measure but Johnson’s admission on a Sunday evening comes after days of rumours that his condition has been worsening.
The Guardian was told last week that Johnson was more seriously ill than either he or his officials were prepared to admit, and that he was being seen by doctors who were concerned about his breathing.
It is understood Johnson remains in charge of the government, although Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary and first secretary of state, is poised to take charge if he should worse.

Boris Johnson admitted to hospital with coronavirus

Well, that's not good (hey there, fellow/sister Gramsci liker!)

I am not at all surprised though. He's in the wrong age group to have symptoms and just be trotting around like this is an ordinary cold. He has been symptomatic for several days, likely has a fever. With supportive therapy and maybe some IV antibiotics, maybe he can avoid getting worse.

snipped by me
Having served 20 years in the Navy, and on the USS Nimitz, I agree. We were always trained that operational maneuvers and such were to be kept secret, there is no way we can let the enemy know we are compromised in any way. I was flabbergasted when I heard he leaked this to his hometown paper.
I also thought, that he had already tried to get help and the higher ups were brushing him off...so he did it out of desperation for his crew, come to find out that wasn't the complete truth.

Do you have a link?

I think it is a psychological thing. One can still find plenty of things to do. Again, golf courses are open, walking trails, bicyclists can ride, car washes are open for self detailing, time to mow yards, there is no law against walking on public roads (afaik). Some people might be best served to use their time off work for self improvement. A great time to diet, exercise & declutter, moo.

My husband and I were just talking about this a bit ago. How can anyone not find anything to do? It is springtime and there are a lot of house chores to be done. We have been very busy. Even an apartment needs a deep cleaning. And how much outdoor activity did people do back when they were working? Now suddenly it is important? IMO, there are a lot of people that just don't like to be told what to do.

And what is with bringing your entire family of 5 plus to the grocery store? Mom, dad, and the oldest kid who is old enough to stay home and babysit? Or the fact that one parent could not stay home with the kids? I have never seen so many families shopping together. The aisles are crowded enough as it is.

I apologize for jumping off your post and ranting. :)

Boris Johnson admitted to hospital with coronavirus
''Johnson is reported to be in an NHS hospital in London where he will stay for “as long as needed”.

It is understood Johnson remains in charge of the government, although Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary and first secretary of state, is poised to take charge if he should worsen.

Raab, who is the designated minister to take over if the PM is incapacitated, will chair the 9.15am Monday meeting of the government’s C-19 committee, which leads the response to the pandemic.

Johnson had been hoping to leave quarantine on Friday after seven days of self isolation but his persistent temperature meant he had to remain inside his flat at No 11 Downing Street.

The Guardian was told last week that Johnson was more seriously ill than either he or his officials were prepared to admit, and that he was being seen by doctors who were concerned about his breathing.''

My husband and I were just talking about this a bit ago. How can anyone not find anything to do? It is springtime and there are a lot of house chores to be done. We have been very busy. Even an apartment needs a deep cleaning. And how much outdoor activity did people do back when they were working? Now suddenly it is important? IMO, there are a lot of people that just don't like to be told what to do.

And what is with bringing your entire family of 5 plus to the grocery store? Mom, dad, and the oldest kid who is old enough to stay home and babysit? Or the fact that one parent could not stay home with the kids? I have never seen so many families shopping together. The aisles are crowded enough as it is.

I apologize for jumping off your post and ranting. :)

I just left my local Kroger. They are restricting admittance to one person/one buggy. I did see a handicapped gentleman in a scooter who had his wife with him. Otherwise, only one in at a time. Very good.

Nicolette Brent MBE

icBrentUKCG

·
1h

The
@UKinFlorida
team at
@PortMiami
ready to see

passengers from #coralPrincess400

UK in Florida

@UKinFlorida

·
2h

We've been working tirelessly with our
@foreignoffice
colleagues to ensure the BN's welfare and safety in the process of getting them home safely to their families. Thank you to all those who've been helping! #CoralPrincess400
Quote Tweet

7MrKZGxR_normal.jpg

Nicolette Brent MBE

@NicBrentUKCG
· 2h
Quick update in advance of our team deployment to @PortMiami and @iflymia thanks again @MayorGimenez and @MiamiDadeCounty for all your help with #coralPrincess400

Info from the British Foreign Office showing the UK nationals from the Coral Princess will be met and flown back. The ship must have docked today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knotty70