Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you still needing to buy toilet paper here is a restaurant supply company that has plenty in stock. Does $44 per case of 96 sound like a fair price?

Toilet Paper | KaTom Restaurant Supply
$44 isn't too bad for that many rolls (46 cents each?) but I was quoted an additional $33 for shipping (and that's just from Tennessee to South Carolina)! Glad I stocked up locally back in February, lol. :p

I'm having a difficult time finding TP too. I gave up for now. I will think about it tomorrow (Scarlet O'hara)
I had luck going to my local 7/11 right when it opened, at 6 am. They had an entire wall full of TP, paper towels and napkins when I arrived. I bought 3, 4 packs, which was the max allowed.

I went out to my car and called my daughter to see if she wanted to come and buy some, but within 20 minutes it was almost gone.

He looked dreadful the last time I saw him speaking on TV - Friday, perhaps? I wonder if, given he is so high profile, this will be what makes the British Covidiots sit up, take notice and finally stay home.
IMO probably not. If almost 5000 deaths including frontline workers and children haven't been enough to make the Covidiots stop their stupidity, I don't think anything will. JMO

Last edited:
BBM in red -Virus needs water molecules to remain viable until entering a host.

I think wearing a cotton mask is dangerous for that reason. Person breathes into the mask, making it moist, the virus landing on it can multiply and penetrate the mask since there's no effective filter in the mask, if homemade.

This is why I'm making a few masks made out of reusable grocery bags that is somewhat waterproof.
Make your own face mask—no sewing machine required

I've thought the same (about cotton). I've advised friends to line the inside with something disposable, like tissue, tissue paper, gauze. All of those things should be changed out after every (brief) use. The mask itself can be washed in very hot water or stuck into the sun (if there's sun where you live) for a day or two.

One's own breath will keep someone else's virus alive in that all cotton mask, for sure. Paper masks are meant to be worn for each encounter with a carrier (as in a medical situation).

If you sanitize those reusable grocery bags after each use, I agree they are less likely to allow virus to multiple right there next to your mouth and nose.

If using cotton, please please have several, rotate them, make sure your water is hot when soaping them up. Soap, btw, is an anti-viral and causes most viruses to break apart.

People ought not to forget that the eyes are vulnerable, as well.

Coronavirus: France holds critical COVID-19 patients in trains to relieve hospitals
''The first “medicalized” TGV made its inaugural trip on March 26. Doctors in protective gear pushed gurneys along the nearly empty platform of the train station in the eastern city of Strasbourg as safety warnings echoed from loudspeakers.''

'The high-speed train whooshing past historic World War I battle zones and through the chateau-speckled Loire Valley carried a delicate cargo: 20 critically ill COVID-19 patients and the machines helping keep them alive.

The TGV-turned-mobile-intensive-care-unit is just one piece of France’s nationwide mobilization of trains, helicopters, jets and even a warship, deployed to relieve congested hospitals and shuffle hundreds of patients and hundreds more medical personnel in and out of coronavirus hotspots.

“We are at war,” President Emmanuel Macron tells his compatriots, again and again, casting himself as a warrior and harnessing the might of the armed forces to fight this invisible foe.''

What I'm reading says it does not all come back to the lungs - that even if your lungs were working properly your red blood cells may not bind to oxygen. In which case, only direct oxygenization of the blood works. The machine that re-oxygenates blood directly is called an ECMO. They are rare.

But this would explain the sudden deaths of people who do not have pneumonia. Obviously, having pneumonia would increase the problem, but if the underlying problem is not (mainly) the lungs but instead the ability of red blood cells to carry oxygen, that's a very different problem to solve.

I am not talking about the symptoms, I'm talking about research into the mechanism by which CV19 robs people of oxygen.

If your lungs were working perfectly and this theorized method of blocking oxygen from sticking to hemaglobin is correct, then the cure to this disease is to denature the spike protein of CV19 that is keeping red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Plasma transfusions seem promising and there's a big call for subjects in the NY region; Sweden is already carrying out such research, as are many tertiary care centers in the US.

Distant sequence similarity between hepcidin and the novel...

In other news, the hydroxychloroquine idea may not work and may, in fact, lead to major complications or death in persons with particular underlying conditions or who are taking other medicines for serious medical problems.

This is both so informative and interesting. Do you find this information gaining momentum, or is it more of private research going on? This could be such a game changer.

Is it also possible that the numbers are peaking now? But they don't want the public to get complacent, so they are stretching it out longer-which makes sense, strategically?

It's possible, but very very unlikely. NY has now done more testing than virtually anywhere else in this hemisphere and 50% of people are infected with CV19. 80% of those will be asymptomatic. 20% will become ill. So, the other half of the population will get it from the many people who are asymptomatic the instant they lift orders about staying home.

Johns Hopkins isn't changing its projection (of NY going up to 800 deaths per day) because there are artifacts in the data (certain days of the weeks, labs are slower to run tests - Sat-Sun is one of those periods). I know we all want to be as optimistic as possible and it will an occasion for real joy if in fact by Tuesday, we see that NY stays under 600.

That would mean yes, they've "peaked," but read up on Spanish Flu, as the ending of quarantine too early caused a second wave nearly as massive as the first.

Covid-19: four fifths of cases are asymptomatic, China figures indicate

Downing Street insisted it was just a precautionary measure but Johnson’s admission on a Sunday evening comes after days of rumours that his condition has been worsening.
The Guardian was told last week that Johnson was more seriously ill than either he or his officials were prepared to admit, and that he was being seen by doctors who were concerned about his breathing.
It is understood Johnson remains in charge of the government, although Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary and first secretary of state, is poised to take charge if he should worse.

Boris Johnson admitted to hospital with coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member