Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some GOP governors are concerned about opening the US economy too soon
Conversations around reopening the economy are ramping up. Behind the scenes, many Republican governors are expressing concern on how they will navigate a scenario in which President Trump reopens the economy before their states are ready, according to multiple sources in and around these discussions.

Modeling suggests a slew of red states will not hit their worst points until later this month, making reopening the economy in those areas by early May nearly impossible.

[…]

Texas governor will issue executive order next week on reopening of businesses
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said he plans to issue an executive order next week with guidelines on reopening businesses in the state.

“We will focus on protecting lives, while protecting livelihoods. We can do both,” Abbott said at a news conference in Austin today.

[…]

New York City mayor: Mass grave is for all unclaimed bodies, not just coronavirus victims
New York City mayor Bill de Blasio said the bodies being buried on Hart Island are not just coronavirus victims. Rather, the mass grave is used for any unclaimed bodies — people who have died from any number of diseases and conditions.

[…]

Prominent coronavirus model now says today is peak day for new deaths
The influential coronavirus model by the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation now calls today the peak day for new deaths, and revises several key numbers slightly.

The model update, released this afternoon, keeps peak hospital resource use on Saturday. But it moves peak death numbers to today instead of Sunday, and the number now peaks at a projected 1,983 — down from about 2,200 in an earlier version.

[…]

Coronavirus live news and updates: Pandemic changes way of life - CNN

Some GOP governors are concerned about opening the US economy too soon
Conversations around reopening the economy are ramping up. Behind the scenes, many Republican governors are expressing concern on how they will navigate a scenario in which President Trump reopens the economy before their states are ready, according to multiple sources in and around these discussions.

Modeling suggests a slew of red states will not hit their worst points until later this month, making reopening the economy in those areas by early May nearly impossible.

[…]

Texas governor will issue executive order next week on reopening of businesses
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said he plans to issue an executive order next week with guidelines on reopening businesses in the state.

“We will focus on protecting lives, while protecting livelihoods. We can do both,” Abbott said at a news conference in Austin today.

[…]

New York City mayor: Mass grave is for all unclaimed bodies, not just coronavirus victims
New York City mayor Bill de Blasio said the bodies being buried on Hart Island are not just coronavirus victims. Rather, the mass grave is used for any unclaimed bodies — people who have died from any number of diseases and conditions.

[…]

Prominent coronavirus model now says today is peak day for new deaths
The influential coronavirus model by the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation now calls today the peak day for new deaths, and revises several key numbers slightly.

The model update, released this afternoon, keeps peak hospital resource use on Saturday. But it moves peak death numbers to today instead of Sunday, and the number now peaks at a projected 1,983 — down from about 2,200 in an earlier version.

[…]

Sometimes I feel like I am in Wonderland, because the President never closed anything. Governors and local authorities did. How can he "open" anything? He wouldn't even support the scientists and the CDC on wearing masks.

What happens when pilots don't get their flying hours?

(CNN) — The coronavirus pandemic has grounded most of the world's airplanes for the immediate future.
That doesn't just mean polishing their Ray-Bans and dusting off their navy-blue blazers. It means brushing up on flight-deck skills and ensuring they keep within the boundaries of aviation's stringent safety regulations.

And that is presenting a looming challenge as pilots remain housebound.
"Pilots require frequent training and 'recency' to be able to fly," says Brian Strutton of the British Airline Pilots Association, or BALPA, which represents the interests of all UK pilots.
"You start forgetting things"
So besides using computer simulators, how can pilots stuck at home keep their cockpit skills honed?

Karlene Petitt, a US-based Boeing 777 pilot and author of "Normalization of Deviance: A Threat to Aviation Safety," tells CNN that pilots could use this time of grounding for educational improvement.

She says that in an age where certain aspects of the flight deck are automated, pilots need to know, procedurally, how to set up the flight deck, which buttons to push and which checklists to read.

"You start forgetting things if you don't use them," she says. "And much of what we, as pilots, do is cognitive based. If you can keep that alive, then you're not going to lose proficiency.

Houston police will enforce Easter weekend ban on using parks and trails
The city of Houston is closing its parks and trails for the weekend to try to keep people from spreading the coronavirus over the Easter holiday — and officers will be out watching for violators.

Police Chief Art Acevedo said in a Friday afternoon press conference they will be out "on foot, on bicycles, on specialized vehicles and on horseback" to look for people violating the rules and are prepared to issue citations.

[...]

70 people test positive for coronavirus at San Francisco homeless shelter
[...]

The outbreak occurred at the MSC South homeless shelter, one of the biggest shelters in the city, where 68 residents and two staff members have been infected, she said. On any given night, the shelter can accommodate as many as 340 people, but it is now only serving about 100 residents.

[...]

Breed said city officials are converting the shelter into a “medical facility.”

“We’re on top of it,” she added.

FDNY has 688 positive coronavirus cases
... That number includes firefighters, EMS and civilian personnel.

There are currently 2,600 members on medical leave, down slightly from 2,800 yesterday. This includes non-Covid-19 related illness.

[...]

National Institutes of Health is recruiting 10,000 antibody test volunteers
[...]

The NIH is asking for healthy volunteers from around the country who are 18 or older and have no confirmed history of infection. Volunteers will be enrolled over the phone and will attend a virtual clinical visit. They’ll complete questions about their health, provide basic demographic information and then, if they don’t live near the NIH in Bethesda, Maryland, they’ll be sent a kit that will let them draw their blood at home and send the samples back to the NIH.

“This study will give us a clearer picture of the true magnitude of the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States by telling us how many people in different communities have been infected without knowing it, because they had a very mild, undocumented illness or did not access testing while they were sick,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH’s National Insitute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in a statement. “These crucial data will help us measure the impact of our public health efforts now and guide our COVID-19 response moving forward."

My husband has a large family, 7 brothers and 5 sisters, raised in Philly. He told me about his family receiving government food items. Cheese, peanut butter, spam, rice and powered milk when he was growing up.
Food commodities as it was called back in the day...cheese, powdered milk, butter, etc. the large block of American cheese was the best.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...eturn-normal-misrepresent-coronavirus-deaths/
Not-that-bad or not-that-high: How advocates of a return to normal misrepresent coronavirus deaths
"The point is entirely that we have more control over the height of the spike in coronavirus deaths — and over the number of spikes — than we do with illnesses such as heart disease. Yes, there is a severe economic toll and, yes, we will need to figure out a system that allows the virus to be contained while the economy slowly gears back up.

What Carlson and others suggest is that the success of the containment measures is an argument to scale back those measures."

Hello Everyone, hope all is good with you and your loved ones. I have not shared the following with people outside of family. Years ago before my now adult daughter was just about to celebrate her first birthday a bad flu was going around. She caught it from a family member and as she was barely breathing my mom drove us through a bad blizzard 45 minutes to the hospital. Doctor told me he had just lost a baby that day. After a few rough days she pulled through. Somewhere around that time I became a germophobic I think its called? OCD with handwashing and thought lotion was going to seal germs on my hands so washed that off. Lysoled my shoes and clorox was used daily. I was able to work jobs and finished 4 years of college. With this virus I am reminded of the terror I suffered through. It was not living. My husband I met during college helped me to open my eyes to ways of dealing with my fears. It took time but mostly patience and love. We graduated together and have 2 adult children, 2 small grandsons. This is really hard for people right now but knowing what I went through alone it is now a "We can get through this together team work" and support, as well as information to keep us going.

Retrieving bodies from homes is a 24-hour operation in N.Y.C.

Nearly 120 morgue workers and soldiers are working around the clock to retrieve the bodies of up to 280 people a day who are dying at home in New York City, many of them probably having succumbed to the coronavirus without being counted in the official death toll.

The chief medical examiner’s office is overseeing the grisly task, with the help of more than 100 soldiers from the U.S. Army, the National Guard and the Air National Guard, officials said. Many of those involved in the operation have special training in processing human remains.

Hospitalizations for Coronavirus Are Nearly Flat in N.Y., but 799 More Die

Tiny face shields protect babies in Thailand

A Thai nurse puts face shields on newborn babies as a precaution against the coronavirus pandemic at Princ Hospital Suvarnabhumi in Samut Prakan on Wednesday in Thailand

ss-200409-twip-16_d6355e906ffc8f60b0f1113861453c87.fit-760w.JPG

Fact check: Does recovery give you immunity to coronavirus?

The Week in Pictures: Death toll mounts amid glimmers of hope

Oh my, I don't know if I should send this to my pregnant daughter or not. Would she smile, or would she cry?

@pocketaccent you are spot on about job skills and memory. I had to do something today, that I have not done in a month! A routine task. Not even that complicated. Took me twice as long and I had to double check everything.
Yeah, I experience the same all the time. It is worrisome if the same effects the pilots and even the flight attendants if they forget to do certain safety checks. I think each and every industry that was shut down will experience the domino effect on something else unexpectedly.

BLOOD TYPE: A B AB O
You can order an Eldoncard from Amazon. I've seen kits of 1,3 and 5 for additional family members.
We used them back in the day in biology. Takes 4 drops of blood.
~$11- $40 depending on how many tou order.
I do not think it gives you the rH factor though.
At least it didn't 100 years ago! Lol
Moo

Thank you so very much!!

Yeah, I experience the same all the time. It is worrisome if the same effects the pilots and even the flight attendants if they forget to do certain safety checks. I think each and every industry that was shut down will experience the domino effect on something else unexpectedly.

My nephew is a 737 pilot. He's in quarantine until tomorrow because a sick passenger was on his plane. I'm confident that pilots will keep up to speed. For example, there are simulation training centres where they train for proficiency prior to flying any type of plane. Maybe they'll use those during the pandemic, and very likely they'll use them before they fly again.

It looks like the toilet paper hoard-a-thon has ended in my area.

Had to stop by Walgreen's after work today and was pleasantly surprised to not only see a half-shelf full of TP, but another of paper towels. So I got one of each. Plus some Easter candy.

“post:1033”
@margarita25
Mags!! Hello! (I’m trying to quote your post from Saturday but I don’t think I’m doing it right since that thread has closed)

Thank you for checking in on me. :) I’ve been completely MIA from WS for probably 2 weeks. I’ve been overwhelmed trying to manage the household here and dealing with the new life :confused: My goodness, the exhaustion it is to just go to the store.... sigh.

Anyway, I’m so far behind on these threads I will just have to jump right in. I’m doing ok. I do struggle with the highs and lows- going from despondent, to peacefully keeping time in place. From an almost claustrophobic fear we’ll never getting out of this, to savoring the pause in life to cook more (if I can find flour....) and to see the wildlife and spring flowers.

My father was diagnosed with terminal cancer last week. So this has been very hard. And I can’t go see him because he is thousands of miles away, and well.... coronavirus. So that is all heartbreaking. Just from every angle. The diagnosis, the inability for him to see his friends, for me to get there, etc. Unintended consequences of this virus- it affects our lives in ways that have nothing to do with actually having the virus.

I know I’ve missed some great discussions and updates from you and others in recent weeks here- if there is something I need to be caught up on please someone let me know!

It looks like the toilet paper hoard-a-thon has ended in my area.

Had to stop by Walgreen's after work today and was pleasantly surprised to not only see a half-shelf full of TP, but another of paper towels. So I got one of each. Plus some Easter candy.

I think the new thing is beef. Last week it was yeast - suddenly everyone's a baker, perhaps fearing the next run will be bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseCherami