Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This virus is so new and Drs can't be certain for how long a person is immune to it. Might even need a vaccine like some other diseases have required to be protected.

Second wave is mentioned so often that it seems likely in October. Vaccine is mentioned, but with the caveat that in may be an annual thing rather than one-off.

Los Angeles County implements new measures on face coverings for essential businesses
Essential businesses open in Los Angeles County during the pandemic must provide all employees with a cloth face covering to wear during work.

These businesses must also share a plan in a visible place that explains how the business is implementing the physical distancing order and cleaning requirements in the workplace, L.A. County Department of Public Health Director Dr. Barbara Ferrer announced in a press conference today.

Kentucky to record license plates of those attending services this weekend and require them to quarantine for 14 days
The state of Kentucky is taking new action to discourage individuals from participating in mass gatherings, such as church services, Gov. Andy Beshear announced Friday.

The state will be recording the license plates of those who show up to any mass gatherings and provide that information to the local health departments, who will in turn order those individuals to be quarantined for 14 days, according to Beshear.

Philadelphia reports its highest number of new coronavirus deaths
Hospitals are seeing a steady increase in cases as well.

There are currently 5,521 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Philadelphia and 110 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University's tally.

Farley said that the hospitals are able to handle the cases so far.

Coronavirus model projects some states have passed their peaks, others are weeks away
New York’s peak number of deaths, for example, is listed as April 9 on the model. New Jersey’s peak is listed as April 8.

California is expected to hit peak daily deaths within a week, on April 15. The state is expected to see 66 deaths that day.

For other large states – such as Florida and Texas – the worst is expected to come later. Florida’s peak is expected to come on April 27; roughly 112 people are projected to die that day.

Michigan governor orders flags lowered to half-staff for coronavirus victims
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer ordered US and Michigan flags lowered to half-staff throughout the state indefinitely beginning today to honor and mourn those who have lost their lives due to the virus.

New York City reports 6,684 new coronavirus cases and 651 new deaths
New York City has 6,684 new coronavirus cases and 651 new deaths, according to the city’s website.

Navy hospital ship to take seniors from nursing homes on board
The USNS Mercy, currently docked at the Port of Los Angeles, will now take seniors from nursing homes that have not tested positive for the coronavirus, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced in a press conference on Friday.

Coronavirus live news and updates: Pandemic changes way of life - CNN

Some people don't know if they had covid or not. The symptoms are similar to cold or flu. It was very hard to get tested for covid. So if there is a test for antibodies, people can find out if they already had covid.

Thank you! Of course - it's to identify people who never tested positive, never had the double negative test, and have antibodies. I knew I was missing something. Forehead slap icon

I'm hoping that my son is in that category - antibodies without test. He just got a job - from Michelin Star restaurants in London and Melbourne to flipp'n burgers in a local new venture hole in the wall. It's an excellent shift in economics.

Last edited:
I know Fauci's role in the US. Every country has their own experts. Fauci is announcing something that may happen in a week or so. In a week or so, we'll see.

Other countries have announced research to develop the test - especially China, with no promises about timelines from any other country.

Dr. Campbell has been speaking about those tests in his videos. The one today talked about an entire Village 8n Italy iirc was shut down and they did the antibody testing on that Village. Or maybe that was in yesterday's video. I posted it in the threads.

Antibody test is important because most people who get the virus have mild symptoms (light cold) or no symptoms due to their immune system recognizing it as a threat. The body creates antibodies that kill it. When they first got the disease they could spread it for a couple weeks never knowing they had it. They were never tested. If they took the COVID-19 test now it would be negative - they are healthy and virus free. But their bodies still have the specific antibodies for the virus that was killed off. This means they cannot get it and spread it again.

We don't know how many people are in this situation since the only way to know is antibody testing. If we start testing people randomly and 50% have the antibody then that means half the population of the area tested already had it, is immune, and that area can get back to work. If only 10% of random people have the antibody that means it is more of threat still.

Last edited:
I'm suddenly confused about why testing for antibodies is necessary. Wouldn't all recovered people have antibodies? I wonder - do some people, recovered from the virus, not have antibodies?

People test positive and need two consecutive negative tests to be "recovered." Presumably they would have antibodies. Can the "double negative test" be used to identify people who are of no risk to the public?

Is antibody identification use to identify people who are useful as blood donors - infuse into sick people - what that's called? It's one of the methods that shows some promise for now.

It's called convalescent plasma transfusion. Dr. Campbell reviewed in his video yesterday and or today the importance of antibodies to know how widespread the virus has been. Because many people did not know that they had it apparently. Or they were never able to be tested for it. Or to assess whether the immune globulin is type G, type A, or type m. If the people have the immunoglobulin antibody they would be able to go back to work sooner in some areas.

Thinking about temperatures and climates. I have found it easier to stay stuck in the house during the colder, rainy days. We get such beautiful weather here that I almost dread those warm, sunny days because everyone is going to want to go out and be active. It's going to start warming up next week here. The beaches are closed, even their parking lots. The zoo is closed. No gathering. Thinking of the weather has me wondering if this virus will turn out to be endemic to certain conditions / locations.

The weather in Southern California can be hot and very dry, compared to the humidity back east. From what I'm gathering so far, they seem to think humidity makes it harder for the virus to spread in the air. I was hoping it would dry out easier here, but maybe not. ??? We'll see... don't get your hopes up, but this virus must have some weaknesses.

Will warm weather really kill off Covid-19?

High temperatures and muggy weather might make the new coronavirus less contagious, a group of experts says

"For example, an 18-degree Fahrenheit (32-degree Celsius) jump, from 68 degrees to 86 degrees, decreased how long SARS lasted on steel surfaces by at least half."

"This may be because some coronaviruses (and the flu) have a viral envelope: a layer of fat that protects viral particles when traveling from person to person in the air. But that sheath can dry out faster in warmer temperatures, disabling the virus."

What can kill off the coronavirus? | Here's what you need to know

Q: Can I throw my clothes in the dryer to kill the novel coronavirus?
Temperature can kill the novel coronavirus, but the dryer has to be at 140 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 15 minutes, according to Dr. Michael Roizen of the Cleveland Clinic.

Oh well...Good Night Everyone.

Here, in Australia, our numbers are far lower than many other countries, with us going from Summer, now into Autumn.
What will happen in Winter?

Andy Beshear of Kentucky ain't playing! He announced that the churches that hold Easter services will be watched by state police, license plates will be recorded and turned over to the health department. Then those people will be notified they have to self-quarantine for 14 days!

Dr. Campbell has been speaking about those tests in his videos. The one today talked about an entire Village 8n Italy iirc was shut down and they did the antibody testing on that Village. Or maybe that was in yesterday's video. I posted it in the threads.

Makes sense. Increased testing is important for re-starting the economy. Those with anti-bodies, even if they didn't test positive, should be part of restarting the economy.

As important, knowing whether people can be sick more than once, as well as strict contact tracing - using cell phone ID data tracking to identify contacts.

Big brother is watching is inevitable with the pandemic. It won't be so easy to roll back the measures that are needed to eliminate the virus.

Coronavirus: Doctor who warned Boris Johnson about lack of protective equipment dies from Covid-19

Harriet Sinclair
7 hrs ago
A consultant who warned Boris Johnson about the need for more personal protective equipment (PPE) to support NHS staff during the coronavirus crisis has died from the disease.

Abdul Mabud Chowdhury, 53, made a direct plea to the prime minister in a Facebook post last month, when he asked Mr Johnson to “ensure urgently personal protective equipment (PPE) for each and every NHS worker”.
Mr Chowdhury, who worked as a consultant urologist at Homerton Hospital in east London, said in his post: “People appreciate us and salute us for our rewarding job which are very inspirational but I would like to say we have to protect ourselves and our families/kids in this global disaster/crisis by using appropriate PPE and remedies.”

The prime minister, who is currently being treated for Covid-19 at St Thomas’ Hospital in London, has repeatedly come under pressure to address the issue of PPE being made available to all frontline workers tackling the pandemic.

In late March, 3,963 doctors penned an open letter in The Sunday Times, saying that they were “putting their lives on the line every day” by working without adequate protection.

Antibody test is important because most people who get the virus have mild symptoms (light cold) or no symptoms due to their immune system recognizing it as a threat. The body creates antibodies that kill it. When they first got the disease they could spread it for a couple weeks never knowing they had it. They were never tested. If they took the COVID-19 test now it would be negative - they are healthy and virus free. But their bodies still have the specific antibodies for the virus that was killed off. This means they cannot get it and spread it again.

We don't know how many people are in this situation since the only way to know is antibody testing. If we start testing people randomly and 50% have the antibody then that means half the population of the area tested already had it, is immune, and that area can get back to work. If only 10% of random people have the antibody that means it is more of threat still.

Thank you - that makes me think that when 50% of the population has antibodies, we've reached a peak. That cannot be known without a reliable antibody test - thus the rush to develop one. Bit of a slow thinker at times

Ammon Bundy vows to defy stay-at-home orders for Easter gathering - CNN
(CNN)Ammon Bundy, the rancher who led an armed occupation of a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon, said he plans on holding an Easter gathering despite stay-at-home orders implemented during the coronavirus pandemic.

Bundy told CNN he wants to gather several hundred people in Idaho at a yet-to-be-announced location. He said he believes it's his constitutional right to assemble, even as state and local officials urge people to socially distance to avoid spreading the virus further.
"Our goal is to get enough people together and secure our rights... we are not trying to provoke, we want people to be able to worship," Bundy said in a phone interview.

Bunday isn't the only one defying stay at home orders. My neighbor is having a pool party on Sunday with three generations of family in attendance.

It's called convalescent plasma transfusion. Dr. Campbell reviewed in his video yesterday and or today the importance of antibodies to know how widespread the virus has been. Because many people did not know that they had it apparently. Or they were never able to be tested for it. Or to assess whether the immune globulin is type G, type A, or type m. If the people have the immunoglobulin antibody they would be able to go back to work sooner in some areas.

I was wondering if identifying people with antibodies would help to control the virus. Twofold then. First to identify people with antibodies who were not tested, and secondly to assist with refining the virus. Thank you.

@margarita25
Mags!! Hello! (I’m trying to quote your post from Saturday but I don’t think I’m doing it right since that thread has closed)

Thank you for checking in on me. :) I’ve been completely MIA from WS for probably 2 weeks. I’ve been overwhelmed trying to manage the household here and dealing with the new life :confused: My goodness, the exhaustion it is to just go to the store.... sigh.

Anyway, I’m so far behind on these threads I will just have to jump right in. I’m doing ok. I do struggle with the highs and lows- going from despondent, to peacefully keeping time in place. From an almost claustrophobic fear we’ll never getting out of this, to savoring the pause in life to cook more (if I can find flour....) and to see the wildlife and spring flowers.

My father was diagnosed with terminal cancer last week. So this has been very hard. And I can’t go see him because he is thousands of miles away, and well.... coronavirus. So that is all heartbreaking. Just from every angle. The diagnosis, the inability for him to see his friends, for me to get there, etc. Unintended consequences of this virus- it affects our lives in ways that have nothing to do with actually having the virus.

I know I’ve missed some great discussions and updates from you and others in recent weeks here- if there is something I need to be caught up on please someone let me know!

Very sorry to hear about your Dad - I went through the cancer exercise with my Mom so I know what's it like to deal with. Good to see you back here.

Louisiana woman, 86, and three of her sons die after contracting coronavirus

This is tragic, and also interesting that 4 people in this family died from COVID19. Not unlike the family in New Jersey. I wonder if there was something in the DNA or reason why this family died.
Coronavirus kills 4 members of New Jersey family: "I don't know why this is happening"

Yes, many scientists believe that an individual’s DNA is the reason why some people are having little or no coronavirus symptoms and others end up seriously ill or deceased. There must be a genetic reason why so many younger people with no health issues are dying from it and often very quickly. A lot of studies going on all over the world to understand all aspects of the virus and why it affects people in so many different ways. It is going to be very interesting to learn more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj