Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already decided that if anyone tells me that I have to return to work in person in Sept. I will fight it. I want to see that there is no second wave in October or November. I want to know that other people are safe in the community before I check to see if I'm safe in the community.

People who want proof that it is safe should expect to wait 2 years, IMHO.
I wish I had that option - I can’t even work from home .... after all it’s just like the flu - that’s what I deal with and it’s frustrating but finding another job now would not be easy
JMO

Just an update on Australia:

As at 6:00am on 15 April 2020, there have been 6,416 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 50 new cases since 6:00am yesterday.

Of the 6,416 confirmed cases in Australia, 61 have died from COVID-19. More than 367,700 tests have been conducted across Australia.

To date, the majority of confirmed cases in all states were acquired overseas.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) current situation and case numbers

Gosh, maybe it was 3 hours. I thought it was 3 days. I’m hating the waiting because it’s holding up my project.

Trust yourself. If I screw up, and I have, I count five days and wait to see if I'm sick in those 5 days. If day 6 comes and I'm okay, I'm happy. Easter Sunday was a day 5 for me. It's easy to mess up, but remembering that messing up might be fatal makes it easier to remember.

Trump halts US funding to World Health Organization

President Trump announced Tuesday he is halting funding to the World Health Organization while a review is conducted.

Trump said at a news conference the review would cover the WHO’s “role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of coronavirus.”

[...]

Trump acknowledges governors will have the authority to open states when ready

President Trump says he'll soon reveal details and guidelines for reopening the country but appeared to acknowledge that individual state governors will ultimately determine when to reverse stay-at-home orders.

[...]

US surpasses 600,000 coronavirus cases

According to Johns Hopkins University's tally of cases in the United States, there are at least 602,989 cases of coronavirus in the United States.

On Tuesday, Johns Hopkins reported 20,382 new cases in the United States.

Trump claims he doesn't "talk about China's transparency" after praising their efforts

[...]

“China has been working very hard to contain the coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!” Trump tweeted on Jan. 24, as he and his administration downplayed the outbreak.

Days later, Trump announced he was banning foreign nationals who had traveled to China from entering the US.

[...]

More people are leaving New York hospitals than arriving, doctor says

[...]

Dr. Craig Smith of the New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center also said the number of patients in the Intensive Care Unit and on ventilators appears to be leveling off at two hospitals who are bearing the brunt of those cases.

[...]

American Medical Association calls Trump's move to put a hold on WHO funding "dangerous"

The largest professional association of physicians, the American Medical Association, labeled President Trump’s announcement that he will put a hold on funding for the World Health Organization as “dangerous.”

[...]

“During the worst public health crisis in a century, halting funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) is a dangerous step in the wrong direction that will not make defeating Covid-19 easier.

Fighting a global pandemic requires international cooperation and reliance on science and data. Cutting funding to the WHO – rather than focusing on solutions – is a dangerous move at a precarious moment for the world. The AMA is deeply concerned by this decision and its wide-ranging ramifications, and we strongly urge the President to reconsider.”

[...]

30 food and grocery store workers have died from coronavirus, union says

The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), which represents over 900,000 grocery workers, said today that 30 union members have died from coronavirus.

UFCW said another nearly 3,000 food and grocery workers “have been directly impacted by COVID-19,” based on reports from local unions.

[...]

Honolulu will require everyone to wear facial coverings in public businesses

[...]

Mayor Kirk Caldwell said the new requirement applies to businesses like grocery stores. People will not be required to have a commercially-produced mask, he said.

It's another layer of protection. It's not perfect,” Caldwell said at a news conference on Tuesday.

[...]

Florida governor says state is receiving 1 million N95 masks

[...]

"Today, in consultation from the White House, we have received or will receive a total of 1 million N95 masks, those are probably the most sought after piece of PPE right now, there's obviously been a worldwide run on that. Working with the White House, they've earmarked us a million," DeSantis said at a news conference Tuesday.

He said Florida's Emergency Management Department will also be delivering 1.2 millionprocedure masks, 100,000 face shields, 500,000 gloves, 60,000 containers of hand sanitizer, and 35,000 gowns.

[...]

April 14 coronavirus news - CNN

Is the population 100,000 or 15,000? Confusing article.

I read it as 100,000 students of whom [smaller number, which I read as 1000-2000] reside on campus?

yum and I could substitute the cheese for vegan shreds to make it totally vegan!

To make it even groovier, I did the oven part in a solar oven on my deck! Since the beans and quinoa were already cooked, and the peppers and cheese do not need to be cooked to be safe, I figured the baking was just to heat and to melt the cheese. Solar oven did that just fine!

Ok, so the virus stays on cloth for 3 days, right? I did a curbside pick up of interfacing from Joann’s the other day. It’s polyester. An employee would have had to roll the 8 yards off a bolt, cut, and fold it. So it could potentially be infected. It can’t be washed before being attached. So sitting for 3 days should be sufficient, right? Because I’m giving half of it to my mom and I want to be sure.

The longest I read anywhere was 7 days on the cruise ship. But -- can you wash it after assembly? Because you can easily work it either with gloves or with prompt handwashing... As long as you can wash it before giving it to others? Three days might be just fine, most likely is. But I'm worried about that 7 day thing, without knowing more.

Is the population 100,000 or 15,000? Confusing article.
It is confusing, isn’t it?

Liberty University is a private institution that was founded in 1971. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 45,935, its setting is city, and the campus size is 7,000 acres
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/liberty-university-10392

Campus
  • Over 7,000 acres
  • Over 6.6 million sq. feet of building space
  • Over 380 buildings and structures
  • Over 200 classrooms
Enrollment
  • Total enrollment exceeds 100,000
  • Over 30,000 military students
  • Over 850 international students
Academic Programs
  • Over 800 unique programs of study (some available both residentially and online)
    • Over 350 residential programs
      • Over 200 undergraduate
      • Over 100 graduate
    • Over 450 online programs
      • Over 100 undergraduate
      • Over 350 graduate
  • 15 colleges and schools
Liberty University Quick Facts | About Liberty | Liberty University

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 55: How COVID-19 Infection Attacks The Immune System & Differs From HIV

Also, on last thread I was talking a lot about a research paper that contained much of what was being discussed, and forgot to put in the link. Just realized, so here is the link

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.120.317055

(Anyone looking for a job?)

We may need 300,000 contact tracers to defeat COVID-19. We have 2,200
"It is going to be critical," director Robert Redfield of the US Centers for Disease Control told NPR in an interview late last week. Scaled-up contact tracing, along with increased testing, is needed to "make sure that when we open up, we open up for good."

Contact tracing, generally, is an effort to stop disease transmission by tracking down all the people who have had contact with someone known to be infected. Standard methods of doing this, according to the World Health Organization, involve having health workers interview people with confirmed infections to identify all of their recent contacts, who, in turn, are at risk of developing the infection or may already be sick.

The health worker then makes a list of those contacts, gets in touch with each of them, and then follows up with them periodically to monitor testing results, potential symptoms, and quarantines (for at-risk contacts) or isolation (for infected contacts).
But, with chronically underfunded public health infrastructure and a lack of federal coordination, it won't be easy. Many experts have estimated that we'll need tens of thousands of contact tracers to keep the United States open. Dr. Frieden, for instance, called for an "army" of 300,000 contact tracers. A report by public health researchers at Johns Hopkins and the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO) estimated that we'll need to add at least 100,000 contact tracers to the mix. To match the level of contact-tracing done in Wuhan, China, where the outbreak began, we would need more than 265,000 contact tracers.

We currently only have 2,200 contact tracers in the country, ASTHO reports.
According to Partners in Health's online application, candidate contact tracers need only applicable communication and organization skills and a high school diploma.

Gov. Newsom unveils his plan to lift California’s stay-at-home order

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Tuesday unveiled a series of guidelines to re-open California’s economy and relax the statewide stay-at-home order during the coronavirus pandemic.
They are:
1. Expanding the state’s testing capacity, as well as the ability to appropriately track, trace and isolate individuals who test positive for, or are exposed to, COVID-19.

2. Maintaining vigilance in protecting the most vulnerable from infection and spread, primarily seniors and immunocompromised individuals.

3. Address the ongoing needs of hospitals, in relation to potential surges and ensuring that doctors, nurse and staff have the appropriate protective gear they need, such as N95 masks.

4. Engaging with research partners to develop therapeutics and potentially a vaccine.

5. Enacting guidelines on what physical distancing would look like within businesses, schools, and public and private facilities. That could mean re-drawing floor plans so people can practice safe social distancing outside the home.

6. Increasing capacity to adjust levels of physical distancing and having the the ability to reinstate “more rigorous controls” as needed — toggling from stricter to looser interventions, “back and forth as things change,” according to the governor.

He did not offer a timeline on when these indicators could be achieved, noting that such a framework likely will not come for at least another two weeks. But he did assure people these restrictions will not last forever.
Officials cautioned, however, that even once restrictions are loosened, things won’t be as they were before the pandemic. For instance, restaurants will probably have fewer tables, temperatures checks may become the norm at establishments to and protective face coverings will likely remain common in public.

And when schools start back up again in the fall, arrival times could be staggered and classrooms reconfigured to enforce social distancing among students, teachers and staff.

This last one is truly amazing to think about. We do not have the staff to have fewer students in classrooms (K-12 or college) unless we suddenly hire more teachers and there's no budget for that. I can think of ways to do it, but I'm too tired sitting on committees to offer much advice (no one listens, they are bureaucrats).

For example, when I first started teaching at this college 31 years ago, average class size was 25. Now, my average class size is about 100. We have no classrooms to accommodate more students. So...we will have to have ⅓ of them come at a time and teach the same thing 3 times over a schedule that is only 2x a week? The rest will have to be online (we call that a hybrid - I'm used to it, because some of my classes are online and therefore up to around 150). It's not optimal.

Thing is - how do I teach my labs like that? Labs are capped at 27-30. How do the nursing instructors do the capstone, senior year practical experience - where the students must do hours in hospitals; even for LVN programs; or the dental and medical coursework? How do new firefighters get trained? Animal biology? Marine biology? How do we do this without tons more money??

Trump halts US funding to World Health Organization

President Trump announced Tuesday he is halting funding to the World Health Organization while a review is conducted.

Trump said at a news conference the review would cover the WHO’s “role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of coronavirus.”
April 14 coronavirus news - CNN

Good. I think we all agree that it is important to ensure that underdeveloped countries have access to testing and health resources, however that seems like a 1960s mandate and priority when this could have been stopped in its tracks by closing all travel to and from China as soon as China told the WHO that they had an out of control epidemic.

I remember in the first announcement from the WHO where they announced that they were very divided in their decision to let things take their course. I wondered whether Tedros was on the open or closed side of the decision. I think it's clear today that he was guiding the decision to do nothing, keep borders open, and delay announcing a pandemic. What a shame. So many of us saw that it was a mistake early on and could do nothing but watch as the world became what it is today.

WHO severely under-estimated what the world was dealing with.

Last edited:
It is confusing, isn’t it?

Liberty University is a private institution that was founded in 1971. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 45,935, its setting is city, and the campus size is 7,000 acres
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/liberty-university-10392

Campus
  • Over 7,000 acres
  • Over 6.6 million sq. feet of building space
  • Over 380 buildings and structures
  • Over 200 classrooms
Enrollment
  • Total enrollment exceeds 100,000
  • Over 30,000 military students
  • Over 850 international students
Academic Programs
  • Over 800 unique programs of study (some available both residentially and online)
    • Over 350 residential programs
      • Over 200 undergraduate
      • Over 100 graduate
    • Over 450 online programs
      • Over 100 undergraduate
      • Over 350 graduate
  • 15 colleges and schools
Liberty University Quick Facts | About Liberty | Liberty University

Interesting setup! With few than 1000 students being effected by the $1000 bonus cheque, I think they should take the money and run. There are better things to complain about than whether they like the offer.

UN Secretary General says World Health Organization "must be supported"

[...]

"It is my belief that the World Health Organization must be supported, as it is absolutely critical to the world’s efforts to win the war against COVID-19," Antonio Guterres said.

"It is also not the time to reduce the resources for the operations of the World Health Organization or any other humanitarian organization in the fight against the virus,” Guterres added.

[...]

US marks most new coronavirus deaths reported in a single day with 2,129

The US coronavirus death toll reached 25,757 on Tuesday evening, an increase of 2,129 deaths today -- the highest number of fatalities in a single day.

[...]

CNN is tracking US coronavirus cases here: Tracking Covid-19 cases in the US

US governors warn of long-term challenges after coronavirus emergency restrictions lifted

The governor of Oregon joined with Washington and California this week to discuss a plan for ending the coronavirus economic shutdown, but Gov. Kate Brown says people shouldn't expect everything to be back to normal all at once.

“This is not a light switch going on or off,” Brown told CNN’s Anderson Cooper Tuesday night. “This is going to be making a change, testing it, modeling it, seeing whether it works, and then if it does, you can make another change.”

[...]

“Until there is a vaccine -- this monster is going to be working around us. When we start opening businesses and schools back up, it's going to be different,” Gov. DeWine said.

Mexico records most deaths in a single day from coronavirus amid growing epidemic

Mexico recorded 74 coronavirus deaths in the 24 hours to Tuesday evening -- the highest number in a single day during the outbreak in the country -- health officials said during their nightly news conference.

The death toll in the country stands at 406.

[...]

Los Angeles files 10 prosecutions of businesses not complying with health order

A spa, a beauty parlor and a vape shop are among 10 businesses that Los Angeles has filed prosecutions against for failing to comply with the safer at home order after being warned, Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer announced in a news conference Tuesday.

[...]

LA offers same or next day testing: Mayor Eric Garcetti has announced there is now rapid testing available for anyone with coronavirus symptoms across Los Angeles.

Previously the vulnerable population was being prioritized but now anybody with symptoms can be tested regardless of age or pre-existing health conditions. Some 9,400 people a day can be tested, Garcetti said.

New York City Health Department now reporting "probable" Covid-19 deaths

[...]

Through April 13, there have been 6,589 confirmed coronavirus deaths and 3,778 “probable” deaths, according to the city website. The total number of confirmed and “probable” coronavirus deaths is 10,367.

Utah governor says he will decide when to reopen, not the federal government

[...]

"I'm a 10th amendment guy and power is not given to the federal government under our constitution; it remains with the states and the people," he said.
But Herbert said that it was a "partnership" between the federal government and the states and that they would get through this "together."

"They're providing resources and monetary help to help on all sides of this equation. And I appreciate them stepping up. The policies will be put in place mainly by the States and by the governors," he said.

[...]

Coronavirus live updates: US cases rise above 600,000 - CNN

This last one is truly amazing to think about. We do not have the staff to have fewer students in classrooms (K-12 or college) unless we suddenly hire more teachers and there's no budget for that. I can think of ways to do it, but I'm too tired sitting on committees to offer much advice (no one listens, they are bureaucrats).

For example, when I first started teaching at this college 31 years ago, average class size was 25. Now, my average class size is about 100. We have no classrooms to accommodate more students. So...we will have to have ⅓ of them come at a time and teach the same thing 3 times over a schedule that is only 2x a week? The rest will have to be online (we call that a hybrid - I'm used to it, because some of my classes are online and therefore up to around 150). It's not optimal.

Thing is - how do I teach my labs like that? Labs are capped at 27-30. How do the nursing instructors do the capstone, senior year practical experience - where the students must do hours in hospitals; even for LVN programs; or the dental and medical coursework? How do new firefighters get trained? Animal biology? Marine biology? How do we do this without tons more money??
(This article may be of interest to you. I feel so sad for all students who are stuck in this pandemic.)

Universities begin considering canceling in-person classes until 2021 - CNN

(CNN)A number of universities are beginning to consider the possibility that in-person classes may not resume until 2021.

Boston University has already canceled all "in-person summer activities" on its primary campus. But the school's coronavirus recovery plan includes protocols should officials deem it not safe to return in-person for the fall semester, and says classes would continue to be held remotely through the fall semester.

The longest I read anywhere was 7 days on the cruise ship. But -- can you wash it after assembly? Because you can easily work it either with gloves or with prompt handwashing... As long as you can wash it before giving it to others? Three days might be just fine, most likely is. But I'm worried about that 7 day thing, without knowing more.
It has to be ironed on damp, creating steam. Hmm.

5 things to know about reopening the country from Dr. Scott Gottlieb
[...]

1. The reopening process needs to happen gradually
... Gottlieb said he thinks the country is "getting ready" to reopen. "I think that we are heading toward a trajectory that we can start to contemplate potentially re-opening aspects of the country in May and into June," he said. "But it is going to be a slow process, we want to do it gradually. And we want to evaluate along the way to make sure that as we go back to work. We are not triggering a spike in new cases."

[...]

2. What systems need to be in place to relax restrictions?
In order for people to be able to return to work and school, Gottlieb listed three requirements to safely relax guidelines. "You want the ability to broadly test the population. The other thing you want is you want reserve capacity in the health care system so we need to make sure the health care system itself is no longer overwhelmed. And you also want the ability to do what we call contact tracing basically when you identify a positive case," he said. ...

3. Americans will have to deal with some seasonal risk moving forward
... "This is an infection that's going to be with us for a long time," he told us. "We're going to have to learn to live with some element of risk here, and I think we're going to face a bigger risk heading into the fall, as we go back to school as college campuses go back into session."

[...]

4. How businesses should safely return employees
In dealing with that element of risk as workers return, Gottlieb said safety measures will be a "big burden" on businesses. "I think employers are going to have to look at doing things like making sure shared services are cleaned more aggressively; looking carefully at their food service or their transportation to make sure there's no conduits for spread; fever checks for employees, especially for people handling food inside- inside a workplace," he said.

[...]

5. What should businesses do when employees get sick

[...]

"One of the prudent things if your business can, divide your work pool into different shifts," he said. "Don't bring them all back in one shift. Try to maybe run your business overnight if you can do that or have different shifts over the course of the day or keep people separated within the workplace. I know a lot of businesses are thinking through these kinds of considerations. These are the things we're going to have to work through as we start to bring people back to work."

UN Secretary General says World Health Organization "must be supported"

[...]

"It is my belief that the World Health Organization must be supported, as it is absolutely critical to the world’s efforts to win the war against COVID-19," Antonio Guterres said.

"It is also not the time to reduce the resources for the operations of the World Health Organization or any other humanitarian organization in the fight against the virus,” Guterres added.

[...]

US marks most new coronavirus deaths reported in a single day with 2,129

The US coronavirus death toll reached 25,757 on Tuesday evening, an increase of 2,129 deaths today -- the highest number of fatalities in a single day.

[...]

CNN is tracking US coronavirus cases here: Tracking Covid-19 cases in the US

US governors warn of long-term challenges after coronavirus emergency restrictions lifted

The governor of Oregon joined with Washington and California this week to discuss a plan for ending the coronavirus economic shutdown, but Gov. Kate Brown says people shouldn't expect everything to be back to normal all at once.

“This is not a light switch going on or off,” Brown told CNN’s Anderson Cooper Tuesday night. “This is going to be making a change, testing it, modeling it, seeing whether it works, and then if it does, you can make another change.”

[...]

“Until there is a vaccine -- this monster is going to be working around us. When we start opening businesses and schools back up, it's going to be different,” Gov. DeWine said.

Mexico records most deaths in a single day from coronavirus amid growing epidemic

Mexico recorded 74 coronavirus deaths in the 24 hours to Tuesday evening -- the highest number in a single day during the outbreak in the country -- health officials said during their nightly news conference.

The death toll in the country stands at 406.

[...]

Los Angeles files 10 prosecutions of businesses not complying with health order

A spa, a beauty parlor and a vape shop are among 10 businesses that Los Angeles has filed prosecutions against for failing to comply with the safer at home order after being warned, Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer announced in a news conference Tuesday.

[...]

LA offers same or next day testing: Mayor Eric Garcetti has announced there is now rapid testing available for anyone with coronavirus symptoms across Los Angeles.

Previously the vulnerable population was being prioritized but now anybody with symptoms can be tested regardless of age or pre-existing health conditions. Some 9,400 people a day can be tested, Garcetti said.

New York City Health Department now reporting "probable" Covid-19 deaths

[...]

Through April 13, there have been 6,589 confirmed coronavirus deaths and 3,778 “probable” deaths, according to the city website. The total number of confirmed and “probable” coronavirus deaths is 10,367.

Utah governor says he will decide when to reopen, not the federal government

[...]

"I'm a 10th amendment guy and power is not given to the federal government under our constitution; it remains with the states and the people," he said.
But Herbert said that it was a "partnership" between the federal government and the states and that they would get through this "together."

"They're providing resources and monetary help to help on all sides of this equation. And I appreciate them stepping up. The policies will be put in place mainly by the States and by the governors," he said.

[...]

Coronavirus live updates: US cases rise above 600,000 - CNN

Of course the WHO has to be supported. They ensure that under-developed countries are cared for during this pandemic. If the USA is unwilling to support under-developed countries, they must take responsibility for neglecting those who are least able to help themselves. Even developed countries are having difficulties looking after the basics. Allowing some countries to experience the pandemic without aid ensures pockets of chaos that could have long term global consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot