Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a fascinating article in the BBC Psychology section about entitled "Why we find it difficult to recognise a crisis". It puts forth some answers to the question: How did two of the most advanced countries in the world [UK & US], with technology and expertise to spare, fail to recognise the crisis as it unfolded? A final answer will only come with hindsight and public inquiries, but there are many known psychological processes that cause individuals and organisations to miss the signs of a coming emergency – even when it is staring them in the face.

The writer outlines a few reasons why this happens, but one popped out at me. There is a concept called “functional stupidity”, described by Mats Alvesson at Lund University in Sweden and Andre Spicer at City University of London in the UK. The pair found that organisations often hire clever and talented people, but then create cultures and decision-making processes that do not encourage them to raise concerns or make suggestions. Instead, everyone is encouraged to emphasise positive interpretations of events, leading to “self-reinforcing stupidity”.

The article describes this in more detail, plus has some additional points, such as optimism bias, confirmation bias, and group think. It's a good read.<modsnip>

Why we find it difficult to recognise a crisis

Well I'll go along with stupid for now_- I cannot comprehend how the United States of America is conducting itself like a third world country-- testing testing testing- and we are not doing what needs to be done in this regard. stupid stupid stupid.

Well I'll go along with stupid for now_- I cannot comprehend how the United States of America is conducting itself like a third world country-- testing testing testing- and we are not doing what needs to be done in this regard. stupid stupid stupid.
No PPE either. It would be so much more useful if everybody had access to good PPE and didn't have to make masks out of t-shirts.
Now we seemed to have run out of disinfectants such as chlrox and lysol.

Is it possible to do a 3 way phone call, zoom or FaceTime appt?

Zoom Video Conferencing - Don't Use It!

I need to make a comment about this software. For the last month, I said it was okay to use as long as security settings were managed. I was wrong. Do not use this software. If you have an account, close it and do everything you can to eliminate it.

I have an account through work. This morning I received an email from Zoom telling me that my cloud recordings were available. I didn't make any recordings at 5AM today. The recording is of a child, roughly 10-12 years old, speaking Arabic and there's a woman speaking in the background. My name, work email, password and personal information have been stolen and sold on the darkweb. I'm waiting for security at work to provide guidance about what to do next.

"Cyble said it was able to purchase roughly 530,000 Zoom accounts for $0.0020 each, obtaining email addresses, passwords, personal meeting URLs, and host keys (the six-digit PIN that Zoom meeting hosts can use). It said some of the accounts belonged to companies including Chase and Citibank, as well as educational institutions."​

Researchers found and bought more than 500,000 Zoom passwords on the dark web for less than a cent each

Note the age range. Ohio COVID-19
Confirmed Cases
CDC Expanded Case Definition (Probable)
Total Cases
Number of Hospitalizations in Ohio
Confirmed Deaths
CDC Expanded Death Definition (Probable)
Total Deaths
Number of ICU Admissions
<1-106
Age Range
Median Age
50%*
Sex - Males
50%*
Sex - Females

I need to make a comment about this software. For the last month, I said it was okay to use as long as security settings were managed. I was wrong. Do not use this software. If you have an account, close it and do everything you can to eliminate it.

I have an account through work. This morning I received an email from Zoom telling me that my cloud recordings were available. I didn't make any recordings at 5AM today. The recording is of a child, roughly 10-12 years old, speaking Arabic and there's a woman speaking in the background. My name, work email, password and personal information have been stolen and sold on the darkweb. I'm waiting for security at work to provide guidance about what to do next.

"Cyble said it was able to purchase roughly 530,000 Zoom accounts for $0.0020 each, obtaining email addresses, passwords, personal meeting URLs, and host keys (the six-digit PIN that Zoom meeting hosts can use). It said some of the accounts belonged to companies including Chase and Citibank, as well as educational institutions."​

Researchers found and bought more than 500,000 Zoom passwords on the dark web for less than a cent each

Oh Otto....:( Sorry friend. I was so worried about these zoom breaches, as you know.

Oh Otto....:( Sorry friend. I was so worried about these zoom breaches, as you know.

Zoombooming can be managed, but the problem is with the Zoom company. They sold the software claiming that they had end to end encryption. Then it turned out that they were storing all the information in China, there is no end to end encryption, and accounts were completely exposed.

Going to Shakespeare in the Park has been a summer tradition for my daughter and me since she was a little kid. It's so much fun to get up early to wait in line for tickets in Central Park (seriously, it's nice!) and then see the world-class performances in the evening. I'm not surprised this year has been canceled, but it's a pang in the heart to learn about it.

Shakespeare in the Park is canceled as summer loses another tradition to virus

Wow!

I really love how our private health information has now been changed to "completely public on demand". KMG!

Employers are so warm, friendly, and accomodating now. They would like to know all of your personal health information, including all information about contact tracing and potential exposure to CV19. On demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoriVee