Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #48

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be a simpleton, but couldn't groceries be washing with soap & water and a cloth?

jmo
It is just an article I ran across about alcohol wipes instead of chlorox. I don't use either of them, but the article mentions wiping down phones, etc. But my phone doesn't leave the house anyway. I think if I went to an internet cafe I'd wipe the keyboard. Even in the future if covid is conquered.

It is just an article I ran across about alcohol wipes instead of chlorox. I don't use either of them, but the article mentions wiping down phones, etc. I think if I went to an internet cafe I'd wipe the keyboard. Even in the future if covid is conquered.
I hear ya, but I think sometimes people forget the effectiveness of soap + water + friction in killing a virus. We don't necessarily need to worry about items we can't find in stores if we have soap and water.

jmo

Bruises on feet 'could be sign of coronavirus', Spanish doctors claim | Metro News

"... Covid-19 can 'feature signs of small blood vessel occlusion' - clotting of the blood -"

As COVID-19 infections (and most all severe bacterial and viral infections) generate a hypercoagulable state, it would not be surprising if there was a pattern of microvascular thrombi that could involve the small vessels of the skin.

It likely wouldn't be pathognomonic for COVI19, though.

I am wiping my canned goods with chlorox wipes. However, pretty soon I am going to run out of chlorox wipes. And they are nowhere to be found.

"Time" is another option. Leave cans and other nonperishable foods in the garage or somewhere in the house for a week, or however long you feel is appropriate given the research on how long the virus can live on various surfaces. I try to wait a week, to be safe. If I need something before then, I take one can and wipe that one down and wash hands.

I was getting nosebleeds when I first started to use Lysol to wipe everything down. Now I make sure I have adequate ventilation and try to use more soap and water and less Lysol to wipe down grocery store goods. Also worry about the fumes with pets in the house.
Still too cold here in the Midwest to do this outside.

This is interesting, NHK uses powerful cameras to detect droplets from sneezing, coughing and talking loudly

This is excellent (and scary), thank you for posting. I’ve been looking and waiting for something like this.

Very important imo is the clearing out effect of the microdroplets that opening the windows seems to have. This may be good to keep in mind and implement in the workplaces in the future.

DeWine just said 152 tested positive at a dorm. 60 had no symptoms!
Wow, they had 92 symptomatic covid patients in one dorm in Ohio? And 60 more without symptoms. And he's the guy who said today that he wants to start opening up the state on May 1? Is it the governor of Ohio, DeWine, reporting this news?

ETA I haven't been to college since the olden days, but I'd guess that the girlfriends and boyfriends of all of these kids are probably positive too.

Last edited:
I hear ya, but I think sometimes people forget the effectiveness of soap + water + friction in killing a virus. We don't necessarily need to worry about items we can't find in stores if we have soap and water.

jmo

I already saw a doctor on the morning news who said this (paraphrasing): if/when you've got access to soap, you don't need hand sanitizer. Viruses are molecules encased in an oily barrier. Water and soap is already the enemy of oil, and will pop those molecules.

Australia's prime minister has berated the World Health Organization for supporting China's decision to reopen live animal markets amid the global coronavirus pandemic.
Updated 14/04/2020

Morrison chides WHO as wet markets reopen in China's coronavirus epicentre
As well they should and the United States should condemn and berate China as well and try to exert some influence to stop that primitive horrible practice. It is not only revolting, it is dangerous to the entire world!!!

I already saw a doctor on the morning news who said this (paraphrasing): if/when you've got access to soap, you don't need hand sanitizer. Viruses are molecules encased in an oily barrier. Water and soap is already the enemy of oil, and will pop those molecules.

I use sanitizer only in the car: then I come home and scrub my hands with lots of soap.

Yes - save those Clorox wipes and alcohol sprays for when you don't have access to soap and water, imo.

jmo

I just found out someone I know and most of her family tested positive. The adults in the household (parents) had flu like symptoms, and thankfully are all better now and are over it, recovered at home. Some of the kids in the family tested positive, but had no symptoms. One of the children was sent home from school sick one day and exactly two weeks later the adults tested positive. But this child who had the symptoms and may have passed it to the parents actually tested negative. I’m not sure what the timeline of the testing was.

ETA: I’m glad I only found out about this now after the fact or I would’ve worried myself to death.

Last edited:
I am wiping my canned goods with chlorox wipes. However, pretty soon I am going to run out of chlorox wipes. And they are nowhere to be found.
You can make your own bleach solution and use paper towels or rags that you wash to wipes things down. If you don’t have bleach, use alcohol. Although I think bleach is easier to find.

I said the flu for effect only, not because it is like the flu. But wondering aloud how much more dangerous it is than the flu.

There are currently 700,000 confirmed CV cases in the U.S. The tests were targeted towards those with symptoms and those on the front line with a higher risk of exposure. The actual case number is much higher.

So what if the actual case number is 80x higher per the quoted article? That is 56,000,000 actual cases, meaning the CV death rate is incredibly low and the number of 1 million deaths is way off.

I'm not debating, but pointing out that we need to keep our eyes open for relevant evidence. At the advice of epidemiologists, our economy has been crushed. They may be slow to correct themselves if there is any correcting to do.

My main concern is making sure we have enough hospital beds. And ventilators. But I feel like ventilators are basically a death sentence, we need more and earlier interventions. I'll check indiana stats, but we are nowhere near overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewpcg77