Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting, NHK uses powerful cameras to detect droplets from sneezing, coughing and talking loudly

Thanks for posting this video, it is the best video that I have seen, other than simulation videos. I am sending it to quite a few people for them to watch. This is a good video for the teams that are preparing to reopen offices, classrooms, etc. It is also very helpful to all of us as individuals. The part of the video that shows a group of people in a room is fascinating, to show how the droplets from one cough move around the room and the timing of how it moves, up to 20 minutes, etc. as it moves around the room and stays in the air. This should be shown to people who are thinking about their safety going into elevators, stairways, other enclosed spaces, including rooms. Reinforces the importance of wearing face masks/coverings, especially for those who may be asymptomatic, but for everyone, in my opinon.

So... which is it, reporters?

Is it the case that anytime anybody is talking about positive "antibody testing" results in reference to COVID-19, they in fact mean "people who have already had the virus, and thus are showing at least partial immunity in their blood"?

All this test says is that it appears to detect something that migrates like an immunoglobulin to a corona virus in the fluid squeezed out of their finger.

It tells us NOTHING about immunity.

Those really important studies can't yet be performed, at least partially because it's been only about 10 weeks since the virus appeared in that population. Epidemiologic studies for immunity take far longer than 10 weeks.

LOUISIANA 4/17
23,118 Cases Reported*
1,213 Deaths Reported
Reported COVID-19 Patients in Hospitals
363 of those on ventilators
Tests Completed
6,102 by State Lab
Commercial Tests Completed

64 of 64 PARISHES

Thursday 4/16
22,532 Cases Reported
1,156 Deaths Reported

Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Department of Health | State of Louisiana

Update: I found the answer to my own question, sort of, because my lab purveyor, while offering the test to encourage asymptomatics to get it, says the following:

This is a blood test looking for antibodies (white blood cells) to determine your immunity to the virus. This gives essential information about who was ill in the past and has recovered (who is immune). It is not meant to diagnose acute infection. Turnaround time is 24-48 hours.

Some data suggests that the antibodies made to combat Covid-19 may persist for years, making recovered people non-infectious to others and non-suspectible to becoming ill again.

Sorry the source isn't MSM; but it cleared up a lot for me, because people have been talking so vaguely and puzzlingly about the "antibody test", that I was starting to think I didn't know what I was talking about (which wouldn't be tough, in terms of medicine).

COVID-19 Stay at home DIY hair color update: For those who might not remember I was planning to use a box dye on my long bleach blonde hair with about 3 inches of grey roots. The plan was to dye the blonde, grey, in order to match it to my roots. If it turned blue, green or purple at least I wouldn't be going out in public until I had time to wash it and hopefully fade it out some. I took the plunge this morning and it turned out perfect! I sent a pic to my sister and she loved it. She reminded me that hubby would be home all weekend with his "new woman"... selfisolatinguntilmonday... nevermarryayoungerman... moo

I'm hearing challenged due to loud 1960s music and construction equipment. My Audiologist recommended CaptionCall due to my poor hearing even with hearing aids. You read a screen display of what the person you're talking to is saying. Free in US. Requires an internet connection.

The problem for many, is that with macular degeneration, the letters are not big enough to read. Problems of being deaf and blind.

Yesterday was my scheduled pickup for groceries that I had ordered online a week ago at Kroger's grocery store. I just pulled into one of parking spots at the side of the store that is designated for pick-up orders, and then called the number that is posted on a sign on the building, and they came out with my order and loaded them into the back of my SUV which was already open before they came out. Payment was made online at the time of placing the order, and changes in the order were allowed until midnight before the day of pick up. All went smoothly.

Then I had to go to the pharmacy drive-through window to pick up a prescription refill. I had called the pharmacy early in the morning and asked them if I could also get some other items from the store added to my prescription pick up, without going into the store. I had read about some pharmacies across the country offering this option. They said yes, a store clerk would drop them off at the pharmacy so they would be ready when I arrived to pick up my prescription, but that someone in the pharmacy would walk them out to my car because most items would be difficult to fit under the drive-through window. When I arrived at the pharmacy drive through window, I paid for them and then they asked me to go to the front of the drug store and some one would bring out my ordered items. The person who brought out the ordered items to my car was wearing a mask and gloves. I purchased several items that weren't available to order at Kroger's, such as toilet paper and paper towels and dish soap.

Now I know how it works, but will only use the pharmacy option if needed, as there seemed to be more risk, but I left those items in my car and will leave them there for a few more days since they are covered with a lot of plastic and have been handled by a few people.

I also wore a face mask and used gloves when I paid at the pharmacy drive through window. And used hand sanitizers while in the car once gloves were removed.

COVID-19 Stay at home DIY hair color update: For those who might not remember I was planning to use a box dye on my long bleach blonde hair with about 3 inches of grey roots. The plan was to dye the blonde, grey, in order to match it to my roots. If it turned blue, green or purple at least I wouldn't be going out in public until I had time to wash it and hopefully fade it out some. I took the plunge this morning and it turned out perfect! I sent a pic to my sister and she loved it. She reminded me that hubby would be home all weekend with his "new woman"... selfisolatinguntilmonday... nevermarryayoungerman... moo

Congrats, glad it turned out well! I ordered color from eSalon online about two weeks ago and got an email from them that they were swamped with orders during the pandemic, but it shipped today. So I will be experimenting with this next week. Any tips?

Congrats, glad it turned out well! I ordered color from eSalon online about two weeks ago and got an email from them that they were swamped with orders during the pandemic, but it shipped today. So I will be experimenting with this next week. Any tips?
Do a strand test first. Snip a quarter inch width strand and tape end. Mix small equal amounts of color and developer, about a tablespoon in small plastic or glass bowl. Cover strand and leave in solution for 15 minutes. Check every 5 minutes until desired color, up to 25 minutes. 25 minutes was too dark for me so I left it on 15 minutes when I did the full application.

Cuomo says New York hasn't received aid from the federal government

[...]

"The state should this, the state should this, the state should this. Yes. Well, what support have you given the states? None. I mean, how can that even be? How is it even plausible as a strategy? It doesn't work," Cuomo said moments ago at a news conference. "We need financial resources to stabilize the states because when you starve the state governments, you know, I still eat. Dr. Zucker still eats, but we can't fund schools, we can't fund hospitals, we can't fund small business, we can't fund all these extraordinary efforts we're undertaking. It makes no sense."

Cuomo on coordinating testing: "The federal government cannot wipe their hands of this"

[...]

Cuomo said the federal government needs to step in and coordinate international supply chain issues and obtain supplies from other countries like China.

“This is mayhem. We need a coordinated approach between the federal government and the states,” he said.

UK reports more than 800 deaths in past 24 hours

Another 847 people have died from coronavirus in Britain in the past 24 hours, the UK’s Department of Health and Social Care tweeted.

[...]

The number of confirmed cases has also jumped in the past day, with at least 5,599 people diagnosed in the past 24 hours. Currently, there are at least 108,692 confirmed coronavirus case in Britain.

Vermont governor outlines plan for reopening some businesses starting April 20

[...]

Part of that plan includes certain businesses such as construction, home appraisers, property management and municipal clerks returning to work starting April 20 with social distancing measures in place. These businesses will be allowed a maximum of two workers per location. The workers must wear cloth masks and maintain 6 feet of distance, Scott said.

On May 1, farmers markets will be able to operate with strict social distancing guidelines in place, Scott said.

UK government announces coronavirus vaccine task force

[...]

“I can announce today that the government has set up a vaccines task force to coordinate the efforts of government, academia and industry towards a single goal: to accelerate the development of a coronavirus vaccine,” Sharma said. “This task force is up and running, and aims to ensure that a vaccine is made available to the public as quickly as possible.”

[...]

Iowa schools will remain closed through the rest of the academic year

[...]

“We still haven't actually peaked at this point. And we just don't have the data that I think that we need to start to have the conversation about opening them up so you know we just we made the decision yesterday,” Reynolds said.

[...]

Coronavirus cases in Italy continue to rise at a slower pace

[...]

The Italian Protection Agency said at least 22,745 deaths have been registered so far, an increase of 575 since Thursday.

The total number of cases in Italy, including deaths and recoveries on Friday, stands at 172,434.

UK government reviewing guidance on face masks

[...]

“We’re looking at the evidence now – we looked at it this week twice, we will look at it again on Tuesday, and hope to be able to make some advice around whether any changes are needed or not,” he said.

[...]

“It’s absolutely crucial that masks are available in hospitals,” he said.

Spain will exit lockdown in two phases

[...]

"What we are doing from the Ministry of Labor and Social Economy is to work in two stages: a first stage that will likely embark in the productive sectors and therefore in workforce until the summer, and another stage that will last until the end of the year. We are going to follow a gradual process of reincorporation," Yolanda Diaz said during an interview with the broadcaster TVE on Friday.

Diaz said all decisions will be based on advice from health authorities but added that "normalcy...will not be the same as before."

[...]

Most pregnant women at a Chinese hospital had mild cases of coronavirus, study says

[...]

Looking at a hospital in Wuhan, China, researchers found that 109 women – out of 118 total – had a "mild" form of coronavirus. That’s about 92% of the women, who were considered to have Covid-19 based on a positive test result or a CT scan of the chest.

Nine women – 8% of those in the study – had severe cases of coronavirus, with abnormally low levels of oxygen in their blood. One patient required a noninvasive form of mechanical ventilation, which researchers considered to be “critical” form of the disease.

Severe cases of coronavirus developed most often after women had given birth, developing after delivery in six of the nine women. There were no deaths, according to the study.

[...]

Coronavirus news and live updates: Cases surpass 2.1 million globally - CNN

So... which is it, reporters?

A past infection rate, as the @Gardenista article and its characterization says, would be the amount of people in Santa Clara County who have had the virus, and recovered.

The @BUF article, conversely, the doctor quoted said "is somewhere between".

"is", does not = "has been".

So, are these live COVID-19 cases of people running around, some of whom might in fact be secret shedders, that we're talking about; or are they "also-ran" recovery cases, 20/20?

Is it the case that anytime anybody is talking about positive "antibody testing" results in reference to COVID-19, they in fact mean "people who have already had the virus, and thus are showing at least partial immunity in their blood"?

This seems kind of important, nay essential; to know before we can get anywhere.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Antibodies are present, that means the person had the disease. Antibodies do not tell us when they had the disease (and in the Santa Clara County study, it's not antibodies specific to CoVid-19, but to a related virus - which may be useful information in gathering plasma for treatment).

It also appears that people who have had any form of CoVid before (CoVid-2 got to the US) may not be showing up in ER's for testing due to symptoms. Perhaps they have immunity? That would be good to know. This type of study is a first step. No study can do all of the steps at once, as that will confuse us even more.

The antibody rate in the article IS the antibody rate they found. Naturally, the production of the antibodies was in the past - resulting in that PRESENT rate.

Charlotte woman hasn't left her house in three weeks but tested positive for COVID-19

It would have been nice if the writer had asked more questions such as
•Did you have an in depth conversation?
•Did you open the door and the person was less than six feet away?
•Was it just a ring the doorbell drop and leave with no contact?
•Did you reuse or throw out the plastic bags?

The article has been updated with more information, scroll down towards the end.
Might not have been the groceries or the person delivering them. Some people’s idea of “quarantine” is different than others.
JMO
So it turns out she actually did leave the house on March 18 to go to the pharmacy. So the article was very misleading. Her symptoms started showing on March 22. That's four days after she went to the Pharmacy (average incubation period for covid is five days, but it ranges from 2 to 14 days). My bet is that when she actually got infected.

Coronavirus pandemic and grocery shopping: No need to wipe down food packaging, FDA says

“We want to reassure consumers that there is currently no evidence of human or animal food or food packaging being associated with transmission of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.”

“This particular coronavirus causes respiratory illness and is spread from person-to-person, unlike foodborne gastrointestinal or GI viruses, such as norovirus and hepatitis A that often make people ill through contaminated food,” it added, noting there are currently no nationwide shortages of food, though some stores may be out of certain products. (Speaking of, what drives people to panic buy?)

The FDA also provided tips on how to protect yourself, other shoppers and store employees when buying essential items.
More at link
If you can get it off of a door handle, you can get it off of food packaging. I’m not buying this advice anymore than I bought the advice to not wear masks.

Bottom line - I’m not sure how much I actually trust our government anymore, especially certain agencies.

If you can get it off of a door handle, you can get it off of food packaging. I’m not buying this advice anymore than I bought the advice to not wear masks.

Bottom line - I’m not sure how much I actually trust our government anymore, especially certain agencies.
Yeah I still plan to clean everything I get.

rbbm.
'It's positively alpine!': Disbelief in big cities as air pollution falls
''The screenshots began to circulate on Delhi WhatsApp groups last week, captioned with varying expressions of disbelief. Having checked the air quality index, something of a sadistic morning ritual among residents of India’s capital, most could not believe their eyes.

Gone was the familiar menacing red banner, indicating how each intake of breath is really just a toxic blast on the lungs, replaced instead by a healthy, cheerful green. Could it really be that Delhi’s pollution levels now fell into the category of … “good”? “It’s positively alpine!” exclaimed one message.

A nationwide lockdown imposed across India on 24 March to stop the spread of the coronavirus – the largest lockdown of its kind attempted anywhere – has led to widespread chaos and suffering, especially among the country’s 300 million poor. Yet in Delhi, the world’s most polluted city, it has also resulted in some of the freshest air the capital has seen in decades.''

''Tharoor’s sister Smita, who was visiting from the UK when the lockdown was imposed and found herself stuck in Delhi, was equally effusive. As someone with asthma, she said the city’s air, normally thick with pollution, was usually a health nightmare. But now: “The air is clear, the skies are blue. I see the evening stars with clarity and hear the chirruping of excited birds at this unexpected bonus they have received.”

This is just a suggestion for those of you who are sick of this new life and perhaps not in a good place mentally. Make a list of all the things you’ve ever said you wish you had the time to do and then figure out if some of them are doable now.

For instance, tons of people have told me over the years that they wish they had more time to read, and I wonder if they are doing that now. Others have said they wish they had time to learn to knit, crochet, or sew. With YouTube, some of these things are doable. There are even some fabulous free classes available online.

There is grace in this. We just have to open our eyes to it.
Thank you, off and on free pockets of time (it varies widely due to caregiving) and have been using them to check on here for news/etc or managing things from miles away. It’s hard to read a book because I can’t really concentrate fully, so need to see what I can do when things are quiet for a few minutes around here.

Yeah I still plan to clean everything I get.
I bought 10 cans of tuna yesterday, I dumped them in the sink with water/dish soap, and washed each one carefully, then dried before putting in the cupboard. No way I'm going to suddenly quit cleaning food containers. Given that I'm so busy these days, lol. Even the chicken, I left the plastic out in the burning barrel, washed the chicken itself and froze it in a new plastic bag. I don't like these articles that suggest loosening up....Sanjay Gupta said to clean the packaging, and he taught his own kids how, with sparkle glitter.

My sister has an outside cleaning station, she opens everything but the canned goods (which she washes), and transfers the contents to clean tupperwear, burns the packaging. Nothing enters the house but food in cans, tupperwear or clean fresh veggies. She's got tons of pre covid meat and fish in the freezer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member