Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is an expense for the city to pay to police the beaches. But maybe that city's budget can handle it? Not all places can right now.

I'll be angry if people don't abide by the social distancing rules.

It's cruel to others if people wreck the opportunity to be at the beach out of "can't tell me what to do" attitude. Fingers crossed people will be thoughtful, not selfish.

jmo
Here in Atlanta the Mayor has threatened several times to shut down the beltline which is the walking path through the city. It gets better after the warning and then goes right back.
I've thought about this alot and can't put my finger on an answer.....why are there some groups who respect the science of a virus so much more than others?
I'm speaking of blatant disregard of the danger....

I’m sorry. That’s much like my recent experience of the same thing except that my vet did not use a long IV line, so we were pretty close to each other. It’s an extra horrible thing to have to deal with at this time.
I have two elderly cats and when I am out for solo/socially distant walks, I walk by the vet to make sure it's still open just in case we need end-0f-life services. Looks like "regular" services are suspended but will take emergencies. Door is locked and I don't see the receptionist through the window like I usually do. Maybe the vet is handling it all on her own, IDK.

Condolences to anyone losing their beloved pets. They are such good company and the loss is hard especially now.

jmo

My grandmother had a very large cold cellar back room off the kitchen. I loved to wander in there. She has a wringer washing machine, so much canning and jarring. And she had this one box I loved labelled "string too short to do anything with" I kept thinking she thought the "future" would find a purpose.
Oh my goodness! I chuckled about the string. Everything you mentioned took me back to my grandmother’s basement as well.

My grandmother had a very large cold cellar back room off the kitchen. I loved to wander in there. She has a wringer washing machine, so much canning and jarring. And she had this one box I loved labelled "string too short to do anything with" I kept thinking she thought the "future" would find a purpose.

Was this in England because it sounds exactly like my grandparents house too! Typical post-war hoarding and a ‘make do and mend’ mentality

I've thought about this alot and can't put my finger on an answer.....why are there some groups who respect the science of a virus so much more than others?
I'm speaking of blatant disregard of the danger....
Snipped.

That's why I really wish the message that social distancing WORKS would be pushed harder than it is.

So much coverage is about things we really can't control, but we have almost complete control over social distancing. Promote the heck out of it!! Make it totally expected, like a national project that we can take pride in.....rather than the "don't tread on me" attitude that is not patriotic, imo, but harmful to others.

Do no harm.

Love your neighbors (by keeping distant).

jmo

I had to have my old cat euthanized this past week. For the most part, the vet's office handled things well under the circumstances. They are making people wait in their car with their pet until an exam room is free then they call you on your cell phone. I was offered a mask and gloves at the entrance. The vet tech and the vet wore masks as well. The person who greeted me at the door (they keep it locked) and walked me to the back did not, which irked me a little.

The tech put in a really long IV line so the vet didn't have to get close to me or my cat to do the injections. I was in and out really quickly. :(

I am very sorry you had to go through this at this time. Our pets....oh how we love them so much. Peace.

This doesn’t give very much information, though. I wish it did. All I see for my state is two graphs.
So I look at several forecast. This one Is just forecasting the curve.....which is really the key to the whole thing. More times than not, this one is showing a more realistic curve than the IHME. Also, you an drill down to a County and see the curve.

I saw an interview with the leader of the IHME. He recommended looking at several models. I will see if I can find it.

Was this in England because it sounds exactly like my grandparents house too! Typical post-war hoarding and a ‘make do and mend’ mentality
No... central Ohio. I was very grateful that my grandparents did not let the lessons go un-learned. My parents would have been young during the depression, but they did not pass on the lessons like my grandparents did.

My husband wipes everything in the garage. We don't even bring in the plastic bags for days. I completely wash all the produce.

Just a statement of self-humiliation here... I don't think I ever even washed produce,unless I took it out of the ground myself. Let alone my hands multiple times a day. As many have stated, I think we will greatly reduce cases of colds and the flu in the future...as long as we all get through this!!

No... central Ohio. I was very grateful that my grandparents did not let the lessons go un-learned. My parents would have been young during the depression, but they did not pass on the lessons like my grandparents did.
My thoughts exactly. I'm grateful for the stories my grandmas and parents told me about the Depression (and the early years after they immigrated in the previous generation).

I think about all those stories so much now....and I'm re-living some of the things they did. Simple times are a gift in many ways.

jmo

Just thinking about our parents and grandparents during tough times like the Depression. They didn't have to be socially distant. In fact, I remember stories about house-parties done on the cheap, big picnics with extended family with food and games, neighborhood get-togethers, etc.

COVID would be so much harder without the internet as a way to help cope with social distancing.

JMO

I’m sorry. That’s much like my recent experience of the same thing except that my vet did not use a long IV line, so we were pretty close to each other. It’s an extra horrible thing to have to deal with at this time.
it is a horrible thing. I , too, have a couple of friends who had to put down their pets, one a dog, one a cat. The lonliness is so magnified. I keep checking in on one, but he is so reticent that I know he is hurting so much.

Same here. Both my grandmother and Hubby's grandmother passed it on to us. Seems like it skips a generation sometimes. And their closets! Full of toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning products, canned food. Who knew that's what closets were made for? Every nook and cranny had something there "just in case".

My thoughts exactly. I'm grateful for the stories my grandmas and parents told me about the Depression (and the early years after they immigrated in the previous generation).

I think about all those stories so much now....and I'm re-living some of the things they did. Simple times are a gift in many ways.

jmo
Me too. Bigtime. Our heritage IS important.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has not yet publicly provided comprehensive state testing counts. The COVID Tracking Project is doing so here, however results vary based on how state health departments report tests and infections.

No plan in sight: Test troubles cloud Trump recovery effort

Farzad Mostashari, previously CDC EIS Officer interprets the data this way:

Here's the map of positive rates by state
NY, NJ > 40% (my gosh)
MI, CT > 30%
GA, MA, IL, CO > 20%
PA, DC, MD, IN, LA, DE, VA > 15%
RI, SD, AL, NV, SC, IA, CA, PR, TX, MO, FL, KA > 10%
None of these states should be reopening til + rate is 5% or less

You can also look at the change in positivity week by week in different states
Sharpest increases in + rate:
SD went from 10% -> 24% + samples
KY 5%-> 14%
DE 16% -> 25%
MD 19%->26%
SC 6%->13%
VA 15% -> 22%
@GovernorVA doesn't need protestors telling him to open up right now

Fortunately, there are also some states that have a declining positivity rate, giving promise to some hard-hit states that the outbreak may have crested (clinical correlation required!)
LA down 25% -> 11%
WA 16%->4% (great job WA State)
CT 39%->32%
GA 29%->22%
MI 33%->27%

So when we see these national trends, it's reflecting some areas where the outbreak seems to be coming off sky-high positivity levels, and others where it appears to be going up, in many smaller markets like South Dakota
But overall, positive rates are HIGH and trends are up Farzad Mostashari on Twitter

But we have to look at all the data together to see what's going on, not just positivity rate - Trends in Cases, Hospitalizations, Deaths (remembering that there is a time lag between each stage)
COVID-19: Data - NYC Health

Attachments

• ScreenshotCapture_2020_04_18_09_31_56_051.jpg
    ScreenshotCapture_2020_04_18_09_31_56_051.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 4
  • ScreenshotCapture_2020_04_18_09_31_46_406.jpg
    ScreenshotCapture_2020_04_18_09_31_46_406.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 5
  • ScreenshotCapture_2020_04_18_09_31_38_367.jpg
    ScreenshotCapture_2020_04_18_09_31_38_367.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 5
  • ScreenshotCapture_2020_04_18_09_31_28_887.jpg
    ScreenshotCapture_2020_04_18_09_31_28_887.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 4
I had to have my old cat euthanized this past week. For the most part, the vet's office handled things well under the circumstances. They are making people wait in their car with their pet until an exam room is free then they call you on your cell phone. I was offered a mask and gloves at the entrance. The vet tech and the vet wore masks as well. The person who greeted me at the door (they keep it locked) and walked me to the back did not, which irked me a little.

The tech put in a really long IV line so the vet didn't have to get close to me or my cat to do the injections. I was in and out really quickly. :(
So sorry to hear about the loss of your cat.

Same here. Both my grandmother and Hubby's grandmother passed it on to us. Seems like it skips a generation sometimes. And their closets! Full of toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning products, canned food. Who knew that's what closets were made for? Every nook and cranny had something there "just in case".

I remember seeing the same canned goods for decades at my grandmother's house. It was like a food museum.

my grand parents had this as well, they always had everything in stock like a candy store they only went shopping each week to top things up or to buy fresh food items

my mom always used to tell us it was because they grew up in the war ( WW2) and were used to stockpiling things just in case

but yeah i remember my grandmothers cupboard in the hall always had what seemed like 200 towels and toilet paper and soaps, air fresheners , canned goods, medical supplies, candies lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoriVee