Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the US needs to concentrate on a contact tracing job sector. And staff it with people ages 60+ that have lost a paycheck. Win, win. Jmo

I have heard msm talking about this.. kindof like a "senior americorps". It will take massive amounts of planning and amassing but I think it can be done.
When I copy articles or informative posts from websleuths I always copy the poster too...but I forgot to on this one... But it helps discuss contact tracing being done in Ireland.
Coronavirus: The inside story of Ireland’s contact tracing operation

@nhmemorymaker

Try ‘the local palate’ it has a southern chow chow recipe. Not sure if that’s the one you might remember. I’m sure my ex’s great grandma didn’t use turmeric though, or fresh ginger. Everything else seems familiar.
i know nothing! I have only seen a couple of youtube videos. One is "from the islands" so it has a Caribbean style I guess. The one thing that is seems clear...is a vinegar base...

@nhmemorymaker

Try ‘the local palate’ it has a southern chow chow recipe. Not sure if that’s the one you might remember. I’m sure my ex’s great grandma didn’t use turmeric though, or fresh ginger. Everything else seems familiar.
ha ha ha!!! I just looked up "Local Palate" and "chow chow".... no less than 1o recipes so far.

@Cags
If they can find the male Y-haplogroup, when possible, & the mtDNA, & do research on population genetics, they may have a better understanding. Just a thought

I may just go cause an "International Incident". I think I will start an Internet Rumor that Canada has cornered the Market on Heirloom Toilet Paper Seeds and is not gonna share with anybody else....... That oughta make for some "fun posts" everywhere.....moo
<rsbm>

In addition to this, we've pretty much cornered the market on weed and poutine (which btw is with curds ... without is simply french fries and gravy). Heirloom TP seeds might be in short supply, so there's always hemp toilet paper aka "Kush for your Tush" :D

FYI.... I just found out earlier today that the Splash-less Clorox bleach that I usually buy isn't as strong as regular bleach....it has a smaller percentage of sodium hypochlorite... so takes a larger amount of the product in order to disinfect and kill germs. Nothing is printed on the front label to this affect, but is on the back in fine print. WTH, Clorox!

Anyway, I realize this may have already been posted here before but thought I'd do so in case anyone else is as late to the game as I am. I'm like, Doh! and kicking myself at the same time. o_O

FYI.... I just found out earlier today that the Splash-less Clorox bleach that I usually buy isn't as strong as regular bleach....it has a smaller percentage of sodium hypochlorite... so takes a larger amount of the product in order to disinfect and kill germs. Nothing is printed on the front label to this affect, but is on the back in fine print. WTH, Clorox!

Anyway, I realize this may have already been posted here before but thought I'd do so in case anyone else is as late to the game as I am. I'm like, Doh! and kicking myself at the same time. o_O
Good info, thankx

In Cajun country, we eat rice (white) and gravy a few times a week. Meat (pork, chicken, & beef) is seasoned and browned in a little oil. You have to mind the pot sot that it doesn’t burn. The meat will start to stick...This is good. Once the meat is browned, you add onions, bell peppers and garlic and water to deglaze it. You let the meat cook down until the water has evaporated. You repeat the process until the meat is tender and the gravy is a rich dark brown. The gravy is served over rice with meat on the side. Rice is a stable in our area. Rice fields are abundant. During the off season, the rice fields become crawfish ponds. Crawfish étouffée over rice, yum. There’s even a Rice and Gravy festival. They cook any meat imaginable in a gravy...duck, alligator, rabbit, turtle, & wild boar.
Annnd now I'm craving all of the above LOL. May have to revise dinner plans tonight :)

I just thought of something. We used to buy super super concentrated liquid bleach from our local pool supply store. Might be a good place to find bleach if not available anywhere else. It would have to be diluted down some but a gallon would last a long time.

It is interesting, because when Christopher Reeves had his accident, and he was on a ventilator, his mother advocated for her son to be taken off the ventilator. His wife, however, was making the medical decisions and chose life for her husband.

Christopher Reeves made an indelible statement and impact about people who have disabilities. He was amazing. And did so much for the entire world after his accident. He was an absolute hero. And so was his wife. Both of them are gone now.

So, I guess it is a story of courage. And, I admit, probably not one I would want. Which is why I would never want to ever be on a ventilator.
So odd. So many coincidences lately. I do have a bit of a time getting past them sometimes. I changed my quote sig this morning. The first one I changed it to was the below quote from him. At the last minute I copied and pasted another over it because well, it just fit me better today. Call me superstitious, I don’t really think I am though. It’s something else. I don’t know what to call it. I admire our Superman. I always will. I’ll never regret my time on ventilators. Else, I would not be today. Tomorrow may be another story. I guess we’ll all see. One day at a time.

“A Hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” ~Christopher Reeve

With the talk of opening up the states I had a flashback to that scene in Jaws where the mayor convinced the older couple and their grandchildren to enter the water when no one was swimming.

I’m ready for things to get back to normal as much as the next person but I don’t think I want to be the first one into the water either.

Gonna need a bigger boat!
(but not a cruise ship, cos they didn't end too well)

Good analogy. I think we'll all be worried about that first taste of freedom. Crowded pub ? No thanks.

With the talk of opening up the states I had a flashback to that scene in Jaws where the mayor convinced the older couple and their grandchildren to enter the water when no one was swimming.

I’m ready for things to get back to normal as much as the next person but I don’t think I want to be the first one into the water either.
Great analogy!

Trivia time:

One of the most well-known nursery rhymes, that has gathered meaning throughout history with a multitude of versions in different languages, is Ring a Ring o' Roses, also known as or Ring Around the Rosie.
upload_2020-4-20_16-54-7.png
Although thought to have originated during paganism with more innocent lyrics, Dr Spicer said the lyrics may have been adapted during the Great Plague of London in 1665.

He said the 'rosie' referred to the rash that developed on the skin from the bubonic plague with the 'atishoo atishoo' referring to the transmission via sneezing and 'we all fall down' a reference to the deaths — 15 per cent of Britain's population died.

Dr Spicer also said many earlier versions of nursery rhymes had far darker origins, often filled with brutality with most people only familiar with the printed version of nursery rhymes during the 19th century.

"Which was a great age for sanitising things and for taking those terrible things out," he said, which he also found amusing given the brutality of child labour during that era, especially in the coal mine industry.
Coronavirus cover songs aren't new: We've been singing through dark times for generations

Last edited:
<rsbm>

In addition to this, we've pretty much cornered the market on weed and poutine (which btw is with curds ... without is simply french fries and gravy). Heirloom TP seeds might be in short supply, so there's always hemp toilet paper aka "Kush for your Tush" :D
love it @sillybilly ..."Kush for your Tush"!!

Last edited:
We are told that that as a country, we are unprepared to start lifting restrictions soon, because we have a vast shortage of tests available. Over and over. And over.

Perhaps unlimited testing to all residents during a stay-at-home order is a part of the problem.

Here’s a map of where you can get tested for COVID-19 in Boston | Boston.com

The commission’s goal in creating the tool is to increase testing access for all Boston residents, particularly those living in neighborhoods experiencing higher rates of the novel coronavirus. Data from last week showed that Dorchester, East Boston, the South End, Roxbury, and Roslindale have the highest number of confirmed cases in the city.

Every community deserves full access to COVID-19 testing. We will continue to work to expand access to testing for all residents across Boston, particularly our hardest hit communities,” Mayor Walsh said in a statement. “Access to neighborhood-based testing will help us quickly identify cases, and get people the care and support needed to recover and prevent the further spread of COVID-19.

We are told that that as a country, we are unprepared to start lifting restrictions soon, because we have a vast shortage of tests available. Over and over. And over.

Perhaps unlimited testing to all residents during a stay-at-home order is a part of the problem.

Here’s a map of where you can get tested for COVID-19 in Boston | Boston.com

The commission’s goal in creating the tool is to increase testing access for all Boston residents, particularly those living in neighborhoods experiencing higher rates of the novel coronavirus. Data from last week showed that Dorchester, East Boston, the South End, Roxbury, and Roslindale have the highest number of confirmed cases in the city.

Every community deserves full access to COVID-19 testing. We will continue to work to expand access to testing for all residents across Boston, particularly our hardest hit communities,” Mayor Walsh said in a statement. “Access to neighborhood-based testing will help us quickly identify cases, and get people the care and support needed to recover and prevent the further spread of COVID-19.

bbm.
..what?

She's a doctor on the front lines of the coronavirus. At home, she has no running water.

NBC News
April 19, 2020

Every third day, someone from Dr. Michelle Tom's family navigates their pickup truck 14 miles over the pothole-pocked dirt roads of the Navajo Nation to a community center. There, for about $95 a week, her family fills their water tank and hauls it back home to the double-wide trailer she shares with seven relatives in northeastern Arizona.

Or at least that's how Tom was getting water before she had to cut off physical contact with her family because of the coronavirus pandemic that has raged across tribal communities. For now, she is living with a co-worker to maintain her distance and prevent spread.

66ede45b4f322d6cc89a9676529a465a

IMAGE: Dr. Michelle Tom

Tom is one of the few doctors in her Navajo community on the front lines of the pandemic, and she has taken every precaution to try to stay healthy, including buying her own protective suit, goggles and face shield.

Last edited:
I'd love to know the answer to that too @otto .
My parents were 8 and 10 years old during the 1918 pandemic and survived. So-far-so-good for me, although I always pick up a bad respiratory infection while traveling, so don't think my immune system is all that great.

In reply to @otto too, after reading this article in John Hopkins magazine, I don't think they have increased immunity

When it comes to immunity, there's a very big difference between influenza and COVID-19. With influenza, because of previous infections and vaccinations, there's always a percentage of the population that is immune to infection—so they're protected and won't get the flu that year. And there's an even larger percentage of the population that has some immunity—not perfect immunity, so you'll still get infected, but enough so that your symptoms will be relatively mild.

With COVID-19, to our knowledge, there's no one in the human population who has any level of immunity to the virus. So the percentage of people who are susceptible to COVID-19 is essentially 100%, whereas with influenza the percentage is significantly less than 100%. That's one of the reasons why some of the stringent public health measures are being put into place. There really is nothing else that can prevent this virus from spreading in the population outside of public health interventions like social distancing. It's the lack of immunity in the population that is making people so susceptible.

COVID-19: IMMUNITY AND SEASONALITY

Johns Hopkins immunologist Andrew Pekosz discusses urgent questions about the coronavirus now infecting nearly 750,000 worldwide, including whether anyone is immune to the virus and whether it will ebb in warmer months

COVID-19: Immunity and seasonality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member