Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We already have various laws about age discrimination in the work place, such as layoffs in a workplace can't have an adverse impact on people over 50 years old, special terms for buyout contracts for people over 50, age discrimination in hiring, etc. In the case of COVID-19, perhaps we could expand these protections for those over 60. Or some have suggested expanding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) to allow those over 60 or whatever age the CDC, federal government, or state government determine to be the age for high-risk. This would only apply to businesses that are required to offer FMLA, but the older people could take FMLA for three months and use their vacation and/or sick leave and if they have not sick leave or vacation accumulated, the federal government should pass an Elder CARES Act to provide stimulus money to fund this, or something like this.
Yes these were some of the thoughts I had as well... but I think it would have to for a set period of time ONLY, to get approved. And, as you mentioned, many of these benefits are only available to larger companies, which would then put in more discrimination of older workers in small business rather than large. And it is harder for an individual to go from small business to a larger corp type business in later work years too.

How do you rank heat? or unique flavor? I don't think i see Anaheim on the East Coast..but I think i saw Cajun Bell...
Try Cajun Belle, it’s probably a variant of the Fontenot pepper, which isn’t widely available. It’s neither spicy nor bland...Goldilocks zone. Also, since this thread moves at warp speed, Nu Mex Joe Parker which can be ordered and shipped from CA. If you let it ripen you can make a Southwest ristra and hang them above your stove or somewhere in your kitchen.

In 1918, Philadelphia didn't cancel an important parade in the midst of a pandemic. The results were devestating - CNN

In September 1918, Philadelphia held a planned Liberty Loan Parade to promote the government bonds that were being issued to pay for World War I.
But the parade took place when the pandemic commonly called the Spanish flu -- the H1N1 virus -- arrived in the city of 1.7 million people....

Yet Philadelphia didn't cancel its Liberty Loan Parade, scheduled for just a little more than a week later. Meant to be a patriotic wartime effort, the parade went on as scheduled on September 28, bringing 200,000 Philadelphians together.
By October 1, there were 635 new cases in Philadelphia, according to UPenn.
Philadelphia was one of the hardest-hit US cities. More than 12,000 people died in six weeks, with about 47,000 reported cases, according to UPenn. By the six-month mark, about 16,000 had died and there were more than half a million cases.
My grandmother grew up in Philadelphia at this time and remember hearing her tell stories how people would collapse in the street. Her family came over from Poland after some of her siblings and father died in an epidemic. I have never found any info on an epidemic in Europe around that time which would have been in 1908.

I am watching Sweden's number's daily. Here is the daily death count. I don't see a disastrous situation. Note the weekends have a lull in reporting that is picked up mid-week. The results agree very well with the IHME models for Sweden, which has a peak in 10 days. There are no surprises in what is happening. Sweden's per capita death rate is expected to be around the same as Spain, which has had full lockdown (from my previous post).

View attachment 243751

Most people are appalled by Swedens' approach. And they are making some basic mistakes, IMO. But I am more appalled by never-ending train of misinformation put forth by the media, which is agenda driven and wants to paint the Swedish government as evil for their decision. Which is why most people are appalled by Sweden's approach.

I reserve my judgement on that.

IHME | COVID-19 Projections
i do too. Different models tell us much more for the future.

Maybe I am just not a pepper person... I like red sweets, but not green. So is Jung Pao a good flavoring pepper--and isn't too hot in the meal when removed? I guess that is what I am trying to find out...are there any peppers that are really unique flavors, but don't make the dish hotter than blazes!

They add some heat for sure. I don't think you would like them if you don't like any spice at all. That's OK. Just grow sweet peppers if you like those. Everyone has foods they don't like. I can't stand beetroots no matter how I fix them. I'll eat the greens but the beet part always tastes like dirt to me. Other people love beets and think I'm crazy. I'm not going to grow them this year even if they are super easy to grow and one way to make sugar in a crisis. It takes 10 pounds of sugar beets to get one little cup of sugar. I decided I'll get honey bees instead for my sweetener needs. :)

Yes, it will be. I'm half European (and the other half is native groups that have absolutely no longterm history of immuunity - except for my ~1/8th Chinese/Taiwanese part). Typically, my immune system is pretty good. But someone who is 100% European is much more likely to have that specialized immune system.

There's some reason to think that people who had severe cases of measles as kids may have a bit of immunity to other diseases.

Subsaharan Africans, Australian aborigines, Native Americans, Polynesians, Melanesians, etc = all at higher risk.

It will be very interesting to learn what genetic and/or immunity effects are on patients. The BBC has just reported the ethnicity deaths for the UK:

The ethnicity of those who have died with coronavirus in English hospitals has been published for the first time. The breakdown by NHS England gave the ethnicity of 12,593 of the 13,918 people known to have died before the weekend.

It states that 18.7% of those who died had Black, Asian and mixed ethnicity (BAME) backgrounds. The most recent reliable ethnicity data in England and Wales is a little dated, but according to the 2011 census 14% of people in were from ethnic minority backgrounds. Downing Street says it has commissioned an investigation into the issue.

Coronavirus updates: Italy records first fall in active virus cases - BBC News

I had a look at the full NHS report which breaks the numbers down into each ethnicity, and on top of the 18.7% there are 10% who have not had their ethnicity recorded so that number is likely to be higher.

However, while the above says the 14% is likely to be a little dated, I would think that % has risen in the last decade. Makes it really hard to tell to what extent ethnicity is disproportionate to the population.

Last edited:
I am watching Sweden's number's daily. Here is the daily death count. I don't see a disastrous situation. Note the weekends have a lull in reporting that is picked up mid-week. The results agree very well with the IHME models for Sweden, which has a peak in 10 days. There are no surprises in what is happening. Sweden's per capita death rate is expected to be around the same as Spain, which has had full lockdown (from my previous post).

View attachment 243751

Most people are appalled by Swedens' approach. And they are making some basic mistakes, IMO. But I am more appalled by never-ending train of misinformation put forth by the media, which is agenda driven and wants to paint the Swedish government as evil for their decision. Which is why most people are appalled by Sweden's approach.

I reserve my judgement on that.

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Same situation with the Jacksonville beaches. Definitely politically drive with the cozy campaign between our governor and the pres, and political "plus" for the mayor of Jax... but it is still another good test. The local Facebook pages are battling the two sides "stay home" and "liberate". And though there were times there were a lot of people very close on the beach, they weren't "jam packed" as media suggests. However, with seawinds spreading all that breathing and laughing so much more...I was personally shocked that no one was wearing masks..I looked at dozens of different photo ops and saw no masks. And in my opinion, lots of people are going to get bored with the beaches if you can't sit and stay awhile, so I believe the population will die down. (no pun intended). Unless Georgia drives down, which they usually do.

I'm curious (hopeful) whether people who survived the 1918 pandemic, or are direct descendants of those who survived, have increased immunity.
I'd love to know the answer to that too @otto .
My parents were 8 and 10 years old during the 1918 pandemic and survived. So-far-so-good for me, although I always pick up a bad respiratory infection while traveling, so don't think my immune system is all that great.

Just plant sweet peppers. If you want a little spice to make homemade salsa, plant jalapenos. I'm not super tolerant of spicy peppers but with jalapeno if you remove the seeds (use gloves!) it's not very spicy at all. Jalapenos are perfect for a mild to medium salsa. We have an heirloom variety of Kung Pao peppers we grow every year that are super spicy that we use to make hot sauce. I make Kung Pao chicken with them a couple times when I have them fresh but the peppers are way too hot to eat-- we remove them after cooking them whole in the sauce.

MOO.
I need a drool bib over here Gardener @ Kung Pao Chicken sounds delish right about now! :)

With the talk of opening up the states I had a flashback to that scene in Jaws where the mayor convinced the older couple and their grandchildren to enter the water when no one was swimming.

I’m ready for things to get back to normal as much as the next person but I don’t think I want to be the first one into the water either.

They don’t make the old chow chow like my grandma used to. At least, it’s not sold in any stores I’ve ever been able to find. It’s a must for pinto beans, fried taters, jalapeño cornbread and corn on the cob. Memories...
can you provide what is sooo special... as mentioned, have never heard of it, but everyone saying how wonderful it is ... i really want to try it. What is the "absolutely necessary" part? I won't tell if they are secrets.

Detroit girl, 5, dies of COVID-19. She's Michigan's youngest victim

I am posting about this death because she was the youngest victim of the virus in Michigan: also because she had unusual symptoms- such a nice family and the little girl was absolutely adorable and sweet looking: my heart just breaks for her and her family. This is a ruthless disease.
It says she:

"was diagnosed with strep throat" and:

"developed a rare form of meningitis and brain swelling"

so she may have died from that with covid being a contributing factor.

{Two of my neighbors, a married couple, 85 and almost 91, told me some days they just want to take a handful of pills together and cover up in bed and just die. That is heart-breaking to hear!}
That is so sad!!!
It's terribly sad. But so many elderly are already lonely, isolated, and borderline-depressed. I seriously worry about the ones in care. Many caregivers are kind and compassionate, but many aren't. And no one is like your own family & friends. One neighbor of mine is SOOO worried that her husband will break something in a fall and the ambulance will carry him away and she'll never see him again. I know she is not the only senior thinking this way.

I have heard this quite frequently in the past 3 weeks. What’s the point if you are confined to your house and family can not safely come visit with you. At times I don’t know what to tell them.
@MimosaMornings , I have a hard time knowing what to say, too. One of my neighbors is having to call in Hospice and his daughter just came to visit from NC. I know it's a terrible time to travel but I'm glad she came. I think she gave her dad and mom some cheer and hope. I pray no one contracted anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo