Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

We are out of patience with posters who are ignoring forum guidelines about politicizing. Posting privileges will be removed for those members who continue to violate Tricia's instruction laid out in the above post, in part ...

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.

Please remember ...

No blatantly political posts.
Do not be rude or argumentative.
Do not discuss other members or enquire as to their whereabouts. Members are entitled to their privacy.

Do not discuss moderators, moderation, or removed posts. Doing so can result in a temporary or permanent ban from Websleuths.

If you state information as fact, you must provide a link to support that fact. No link, no post !!

Members may copy their own posts from the general discussion thread over to relevant, more local threads in other appropriate Covid-19 sub-forums. If you think someone else's post relates specifically to another thread within the forum, please use the Report feature to let Mods/Admins know and we will move it on over for you.

If you wish to start a new thread, please run it by a Mod or Admin for approval.

Stay safe, healthy, strong and be kind to others.

MOD REMINDER:

THERE ARE A NUMBER OF SPECIFIC SUB-FORUMS THAT HAVE BEEN CREATED TO DISCUSS THE MANY ASPECTS OF THIS EXTRAORDINARY TIME. PLEASE TRY TO KEEP YOUR POSTS ABOUT SPECIFIC TOPICS IN THOSE SUB-FORUMS TO ALLOW THOSE INTERESTED IN THOSE TOPICS TO SEE YOUR POSTS. POSTING THEM IN THIS MAIN THREAD MAKES IT MORE DIFFICULT TO FIND THEM AND CAN VEER THE MAIN THREAD A BIT SIDEWAYS. THANKS FOR TRYING YOUR BEST TO KEEP US ON TRACK!

BELOW ARE SOME QUICK LINKS, BUT THEY ARE EASY TO FIND UNDER THE MAIN COVID HEADING ABOUT SAFETY TIPS AND THINGS TO DO WHILE QUARANTINED:

VEGETABLE GARDENS

QUARANTINE RECIPES
GROCERY SHOPPING
HEALTH & SAFETY TIPS
MAKING YOUR OWN HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS
FACE MASKS FOR PROTECTION
HOMESCHOOLING
SMILES CAFE

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

Last edited by a moderator:
I am waiting on the edge of my seat for antibodies! So many people I know think they had a mild case...it would be so good to be able to know. AND, a stupid question here... if one has antibodies, that means they probably won't get it again, but ...for....how...long. And if one has antibodies, does that mean they cannot pass it on to others, like asymptomatic people can.
I am joining you (6 ft apart) on the edge of the seat also waiting.
I would love to know if family members and myself had it back in January and if we have the antibodies and cannot get it.
It would be nice to know for so many reasons, but one of which I would be able to help out others, knowing that they and I would be safe.
Fingers crossed **

I can’t believe I didn’t look for Clorox wipes. We could use them. But I forgot to add it to my list and I hyperfocus on the list now, rarely grabbing anything extra because I have a mission - to get in and out as quickly as possible so I can decontaminate at home and hole up again for weeks.
I found a video to make my own Clorox wipes.
So simple, even I can do it LOL
I will share in next thread as this one is getting ready to close

Definitely. But in the event that we or someone we know gets infected it is good to know what they are using. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.
Forewarned for sure. I think that there is no one cure or course of treatment. I know from some friends and relatives what meds and treatment changes they went through before the correct one was determined. Some of those medical decisions were based on years of previous studies and treatments for various ailments. We all have varying differences that react differently to meds and treatment.

We are at the beginning of understanding what is going to work for people based on their physiology. Fingers crossed.

'Nobody told us about the coronavirus pandemic'

After 25 days at sea, and with little communication with the outside world, the couple planned to dock on a small island in mid-March. But upon getting phone signal while still off-shore, they discovered the island's borders were closed and found out the world had been suffering from a global pandemic they'd heard nothing about.

'Nobody told us about the coronavirus pandemic'

Now happily stranded in the Caribbean.

The answer is what we were doing initially before lockdown. Elderly and vulnerable to stay home and be shielded by relatives and carers. Sadly in the nursing homes that does not seem to have happened and the virus has just ran rife. That is the real tragedy and those figures have not been fully disclosed yet only hinted at so far.

I think governments are getting on top of it in the community and our own health is literally in our own hands, as it were.

While we are on hand washing I want to recommend a product call Hibiscrub. This is a pink product used by surgeons and vets to wash and scrub up prior to surgery and for patient cleaning preparation. I have had it in my cupboard for years and get it from the vet or pet suppliers - I dilite it and use it for cleaning my hands and animal wounds. One of the active ingredients is chlorhexidine gluconate and you only need a teaspoonful to effectively wash and disinfect your hands. That ingredient is also what is in some antiseptic mouthwashes. I have only just realised that I have this product in my cupboard already so am passing on the tip.

Hibiscrub Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser Solution 500ml Chlorhexidine 4%

It is normally about £4 or £5 not the price shown here but I checked Amazon and they are currently out of stock. I keep this for emergencies like cuts or bites. Normal soap and water for when skin is not broken. You can probably find an alternative at local pet stores.
Be very careful with this product. Do not touch your eyes until you are certain it is fully rinsed from your hands. I have this stuff but rarely use it because it can be dangerous.

Posting the text accompanying Dr. Hansen's youtube if you don't have time to watch it:

COVID19 - How does this coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, kill people? Why does it kill some people and not others?

Welcome to another video, for those of you who don’t know me, I’m doctor mike Hansen, I am a real doctor who specializes in pulmonary medicine, critical care medicine, and internal medicine.

When I’m not working in the hospital or pulmonary clinic, I’m at home working on making these videos for you, to deliver you accurate medical expertise, to the best of my ability (especially during this pandemic).

This virus, we know, is mainly transmitted by respiratory droplets, and through contact, by getting into our mucosa, like our mouth, nose, and eyes. Although less common, it also can be transmitted through aerosol, meaning airborne. Most likely when you have people in an enclosed space, such as an elevator, and someone sneezes or coughs without covering their mouth, and someone else can inhale it in.

This virus attaches to cells in our body by this ACE2 receptor. This ACE2 receptor is only located on certain cells in our body. Its on our tongue, in our nose, back of the throat, and in our lungs. Specifically, within the lungs, its only located on our type II alveolar cells.

We know that ARDS develops in about 4 to 5% of COVID-19 patients. And of all the people who get COVID19, the mortality rate is around 1 to 2%. So why do some COVID patients get ARDS, and why do some die? There are different reasons, and lets talk about them. It could be one of these reasons, but more likely it’s a combination of these reasons.

1) The virus only gains entry into our cells that express the ACE2 receptor. They are located in multiple sites. Besides being in the lung, they’re in your mouth, nose, throat, stomach, small intestine, colon, skin, lymph nodes, thymus, bone marrow, spleen, liver, kidney, brain, and testes.

2) It makes sense that if the virus only gets into your mouth or nose or throat, but not the lungs, that it would cause only cold-like symptoms. But if the virus gets all the way down into your alveoli of your lungs, that’s whats going to cause ARDS. And by the way, the ACE2 recoptors in your gut probably explains why some patients get nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

3) The amount of virus that you get into your body likely determines how sick you get. This is what we call the viral load.

4) The inflammatory reaction that occurs with COVID-19 is extremely complicated with lots of different proteins and hormones and interleukins at play. But there are several known genetic polymorphisms of these proteins that likely make some people more prone to getting worse illness than others. A genetic polymorphism simply means a variation on a particular gene. For example, there are genetic polymorphisms for the ACE gene, as well as IL-6. Basically, a lot of it just comes down to our genes. And sex.

5) Because the 5th reason has to do with estrogen. Estrogen is known to inhibit the effects of IL-6, which plays a huge role in this cytokine storm. This might explain why women overall have less severe disease compared to men.

6) And the 6th reason being because of people who are already taking certain medications. For those people who are already on and ACEI such as lisinopril, or an ARB such as losartan, or telmisartan, or candesartan, or irbesartan. Or people who take hydroxychloroquine for lupus or rheumatoid disease. Or people who take tocilizumab, and IL-6 receptor inhibitor. Are these patients less prone to getting severe illness? My guess is yes.

I found a video to make my own Clorox wipes.
So simple, even I can do it LOL
I will share in next thread as this one is getting ready to close

Just a tip ... You can always go ahead and make your post in an existing thread. Posts made after the older thread gets closed get moved over to the new thread. How fancy is that ? :D

A second coronavirus outbreak could emerge this winter in conjunction with the flu season to make for an even more dire health crisis, the director of the Centers for Disease Control told The Washington Post in an interview.

"There's a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through," CDC Director Robert Redfield said in a story published Tuesday. "And when I've said this to others, they kind of put their head back, they don't understand what I mean."

[...]

“His comments come as several governors look to partially reopen their states' economies by loosening some restrictions aimed at limiting the spread of the virus -- despite concerns of subsequent increases in coronavirus cases.”

CDC chief says there could be second, possibly worse coronavirus outbreak this winter - CNNPolitics

I’m sooo confused, even DH, whom I’ll now call DrTony because he went to his family crawfish boil!!! Still angry since I have an auto immune disease— Ménière’s.. so I worry and also take... lisinopril do I stop or what?? I stopped 1 week ago. DrTony has no clue but I’m almost ready to hang out a Cajun ‘ Doctor husband for sale’ sign. Afraid they’re might be too many takers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli