Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
… snipped to reply... Not do I want to be in contact with someone careless enough to make me sick.

Like the (selfish, ignorant, uncaring) guy in my senior populated building that I see every single time I venture out. He goes outside to smoke with no mask ever, or he hangs around the mailboxes with no mask ever.

Smoking means he has his hands near his mouth, and believe me he doesn't care to use hand sanitizer. He touches the doors and elevator buttons with those virus hands. He may be the person tossing his cig butts on the walkways. Some people are completely selfish. He isn't worried about catching the virus or giving the virus to me. He just thinks everyone else is making a big deal out of this little virus. I said something to him today about he's probably giving it to everyone else. I'm sure he was insulted. :mad:

Hmm, we shall see.

I love it too, so true!

Replying to you to keep up the discussion on the vaccine front. There is a lot of work going forward and I know we all truly hope something pans out - this article has a nice round up of the current trials (one started in Seattle several weeks ago) all over the world:

COVID-19 Vaccine Frontrunners

Since vaccination historically is not the money-maker that pharmaceutical prescriptions are, it has not always attracted big investments. I hope with these initiatives and financial motivations attract lots of talented scientists.

Stay safe all and remember, people are working on all fronts, vaccines, improving sanitization, improving treatments - all those things will help going forward and preparing for the eventually loosening of shelter in place restrictions.

Well...unless we are willing to shut down for the next 20-30 years, we have no choice but to venture back out into public. The vast majority of people under age 50 will not die. Only 1% of people aged 50-65 will die. "Only." I mean, if someone tells me I have a 1% chance of getting hit by a speeding car if I step outside, I will nope right out of that one.

So, I spent my day yesterday making arrangements with my workplace for next year. I guess I will be pretty much quarantined until December. Thing is, the sooner I get this, the more likely I am to survive. I guess I can try and lose more weight (have lost 10 pounds in quarantine).

I am feeling rather depressed today at the prospect of never going anywhere again. Theoretically, a place could eliminate the virus from their immediate area (like South Korea) and just take the hit in tourism and other travel related commerce. But I live in California and we have like 40 million visitors from out of state...each year. So there will constantly be the chance of catching it until we reach herd immunity.

To do that, we need to expose 28 million Californians (or more) to CV19, with a predicted number of deaths at around 800,000. How fast do we want to do that? We obviously cannot have 28 million people sick all at once (hospitalizations would be around 1.6 million).

So we wait. More isolated counties (like Kern County) with lower rates are sort of open already and will probably slide into "regular behavior" this week. But the overall population of that area is fairly small and while they will surely see a big increase in cases/deaths, it is about 900,000 total population, so they should be able to put together resources for their new "wave." Still, we could expect a mortality rate of as many as 4500 people.

My own estimate is that the overall morality rate is closer to 0.04-0.07.

I think I'll be willing to risk going camping in the mountains, we know some obscure places we love.

Congratulations on our weight loss during quarantine @10ofRods! That certainly is not the norm for most of us.

It's difficult not to get depressed during this world crisis but I'm pleased that you're sharing knowledge and hope with us here. Cheers!

Like the (selfish, ignorant, uncaring) guy in my senior populated building that I see every single time I venture out. He goes outside to smoke with no mask ever, or he hangs around the mailboxes with no mask ever.

Smoking means he has his hands near his mouth, and believe me he doesn't care to use hand sanitizer. He touches the doors and elevator buttons with those virus hands. He may be the person tossing his cig butts on the walkways. Some people are completely selfish. He isn't worried about catching the virus or giving the virus to me. He just thinks everyone else is making a big deal out of this little virus. I said something to him today about he's probably giving it to everyone else. I'm sure he was insulted. :mad:

You preach it sista. We've got your back!

Besides, you might save a life.

Be very careful with this product. Do not touch your eyes until you are certain it is fully rinsed from your hands. I have this stuff but rarely use it because it can be dangerous.
I always wash my hands a second time after using it for my animals obviously but as long as the instructions are followed it is not dangerous IMO. Keep it locked away from kids like you do the bleach and other household cleaning products obviously. Why do you think it is dangerous?

@10ofRods said in the prior thread:
"I guess I can try and lose more weight (have lost 10 pounds in quarantine)."

Congratulations on our weight loss during quarantine @10ofRods! That certainly is not the norm for most of us.

It's difficult not to get depressed during this world crisis but I'm pleased that you're sharing knowledge and hope with us here. Cheers!

Please, @10ofRods, tell us your secret on how to lose weight during CV-19 quarantine. Thanks for bringing this up Seattle1. Gee, the only joy left is maybe going out to food shop or looking forward to food. How does someone lose ten pounds sitting home all day and night?

Eeek -- I'm sorry to hear about your selfish neighbor and have no doubt that your fears are warranted. I truly believe that he fits the profile of the worst type of carrier should he contract the virus: senior age, smoker, and no PPE.

As explained by Dr. Hansen in youtube posted earlier, the virus is mainly transmitted by respiratory droplets, and through contact (i.e., contact with his droplets). I wish he'd at least consider wearing gloves.

This virus, we know, is mainly transmitted by respiratory droplets, and through contact, by getting into our mucosa, like our mouth, nose, and eyes. Although less common, it also can be transmitted through aerosol, meaning airborne. Most likely when you have people in an enclosed space, such as an elevator, and someone sneezes or coughs without covering their mouth, and someone else can inhale it in.

So many people showing their true colors. Complete lack of empathy and total sociopath level of selfishness.
Look farther. I've seen just the opposite throughout this pandemic. Sure some are selfish but I've also seen compassion, strength, courage, selflessness and just plain good in people.

Getting ready for fall (and especially our state fair over Labor Day).

People are so eager to get back to work and normal that they may not know (or have forgotten) the second wave of the 1918 flu epidemic killed 20-50 million. The first wave killed 3-5 million.

This whole thing has made me anxious, of course, and sometimes I'm an anxious eater, like most people. But, nothing sounds good and I have no appetite. I also don't think I have CV. So without really planning it, I've been doing the intermittent fasting. Plus, we are being way more careful about portion control, since we want our food to last.

I haven't been in a public space since March 13. For 10 days before that, I was sending students out of the class when they were coughing or sneezing (a routine rule but there was more of it). I have all of my tests and lectures online, so class is truly optional, but it's fun.

The new data about veins is very concerning for those of us who, like me, are overweight, older and not super active. But as this goes on, there are way more people milling about in the neighborhood, it's not breezy right now, so I try to get my steps like that old guy who does 20 meter laps in his garden. It's not enough for my lungs and veins to be classed as "healthy."

Maybe I'll change my slug-like ways.

After Flawed COVID Projections, Newsom Warns Of 'Second Wave', Says Not 'Anticipating' Baseball In July

“Speaking on CBS This Morning Tuesday, Newsom took objection with several protests in Orange County and other states calling for stay-at-home orders to end.

“If we all pull back, we could see a second wave that makes this pale in comparison,” he said.

When asked what he thought about the prospects of baseball games in July – nearly three months away – being played in California, Newsom said, “The idea of tens of thousands of fans coming together across their differences, high-fiving one another, hugging each other after a base hit or a strikeout, is not something I’m anticipating anytime soon.””

I always wash my hands a second time after using it for my animals obviously but as long as the instructions are followed it is not dangerous IMO. Keep it locked away from kids like you do the bleach and other household cleaning products obviously. Why do you think it is dangerous?
Because it can blind you. You have to keep it completely away from the face. Accidents happen. So I use mine only rarely for certain issues. (This is why I would never use it on an animal, either. You can’t explain to them how toxic it is, especially for cats.)

I just don’t want people to unthinkingly buy and use it without knowing the dangers. That’s all.

Look farther. I've seen just the opposite throughout this pandemic. Sure some are selfish but I've also seen compassion, strength, courage, selflessness and just plain good in people.

I agree. All of the people I work with are selfless. My daughter is a nurse, my other daughter has been a librarian and a high school teacher (the libraries are like homeless centers here). My ex is a physician and boy, has it been hard (he's not hospital based, he's doing telemedicine, but the sheer number of patients who need care right now - for all kinds of reasons - make his job really tough).

Meanwhile "that guy" who breathes on everything or coughs and sneezes at the mailbox or in the store means that I can't go out and do anything, my daughter masks up to make a hurried trip to the store, my SiL (essential worker) has a coworker awaiting test results. So far, we've kept CV out of the main jail nearest me, but the intake jail has CV and a couple of deputies are positive. 911 calls are so many that every single policeman is transporting people (none of them have PPE). Firemen are doing the same, some of them have PPE.

My workplace has no PPE left (donated to hospitals). Because we live near a burn area, we have non-medical N95 masks, at least. We are personally distributing the rest of our masks to instacart shoppers (as well as tipping them really really well), and I have a small stock of surgical style masks that I would distribute to people if they knew how to use them. I teach students how to use masks in my lab, but truthfully, even after 6 weeks, a lot of them can't keep their minds on what they are doing...

After Flawed COVID Projections, Newsom Warns Of 'Second Wave', Says Not 'Anticipating' Baseball In July

“Speaking on CBS This Morning Tuesday, Newsom took objection with several protests in Orange County and other states calling for stay-at-home orders to end. They are of course the same ones who need protection from themselves.

I think he'll wait and see how it goes in Nevada and Florida. Big businesses like sports franchises cannot disobey him, but there's nothing to keep millions of people from doing all the other things people want to do (swap meets, little league, bowling leagues, etc)

Last edited:
You just made me chuckle. My mother had what she always called her "divorce gloves" ... elegant, solid black and up to the elbow. She used to get mad at me because I would laugh hysterically every time she called them that.

I can relate to your Mom. Your mother's "divorce gloves" sound like my "divorce guitars". I bought a guitar every year on our "anniversary" for a few years. The kicker is I never really learned to play guitar that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14