Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You just made me chuckle. My mother had what she always called her "divorce gloves" ... elegant, solid black and up to the elbow. She used to get mad at me because I would laugh hysterically every time she called them that.

I think I would laugh hysterically if I heard my mum say that! Curious -- "Divorce gloves" as in I'm getting dressed to the nines and stepping out on the town to spend my alimony?

“ATLANTA (AP) — Gov. Brian Kemp's call to reopen shuttered businesses in Georgia left many business owners wary and confused Tuesday as they considered how to protect themselves and their customers in a state where coronavirus deaths neared 800 and confirmed infections climbed toward 20,000.

Kemp’s plan to kick-start the economy is one of the most aggressive announced since President Donald Trump laid out benchmarks for states to start lifting restrictions. But Georgia's testing system has lagged behind much of the nation and public health experts warned that moving too quickly could fuel a resurgence in infections.

“It’s concerning. I’m certainly not going to go the gym or get a haircut,” said Dr. Carlos del Rio, an infectious disease expert at Emory University in Atlanta. “I’ll let people make their own decisions.”

Georgia businesses hesitant to embrace Kemp's call to reopen

So many people showing their true colors. Complete lack of empathy and total sociopath level of selfishness.

And then you have this:

:eek: Factory workers helping to make protective gear for COVID-19 go home after 28 days

More than 40 employees who spent nearly a month living at the facility where they were helping to make protective gear for health care workers on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic finally clocked out and went home to their families on Monday.

Colorado:

“Though the number of positive cases appears to be leveling out, county health officials are expecting to see a spike after the stay-at-home order is lifted this Sunday and businesses begin slowly reopening.

Katie O’Donnell, spokeswoman for the county health department, expects to see the number of cases rise within a week to 10 days of people returning to work and businesses reopening.”

Larimer County reports 251 coronavirus cases, expects a spike after stay-home order lifts – Loveland Reporter-Herald

Coronavirus In Greater Houston: Gov. Abbott Touts State Response To COVID-19 Despite Lag In Testing | Houston Public Media

Texas has a Recovery Tsar apparently.

"Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday painted a positive picture of Texas’ recovery effort ahead of a possible reopening of the state’s economy in coming weeks — even as testing remains behind much of the rest of the country.

More than 200,000 Texans have been tested for COVID-19 so far, and the number of positive tests remain around 10%, Abbott said. But testing still lags behind neighboring states Louisiana, Oklahoma and New Mexico, though Abbott insisted Tuesday that with the addition of more private sector testing and help from the federal government, the state was getting closer to recovery.

The governor made the statements at a press conference announcing a new job search database in Texas. About 500,000 job openings are listed on the site, which provides unemployed people access to job postings, and education and training services. People can also complete and upload resumes and job applications. People looking for work can also visit the Texas Economic Development website for links to the state’s local workforce development boards, which help unemployed people find jobs and help employers find employees.

MORE: With Abbott’s Plans to Reopen Economy, Many Texans Still Anxious About Testing, Public Health

State and federal officials are reporting a surge in COVID-19 cases at immigration facilities in Texas. Immigration and Customs Enforcement confirmed 30 COVID-19 cases at adult detention facilities in Texas — up from just a handful of cases late last week. The majority of those cases were at a detention center outside Dallas. Other cases were confirmed at El Paso and Houston-area facilities. Texas Health and Human Services also confirmed that 5 unaccompanied migrant children have the coronavirus, but didn’t specify where those cases were identified. At least 12 staff at both adult and children immigrant holding facilities in Texas have also tested positive for COVID-19, all in the Houston area. "

See link for more.

Like the (selfish, ignorant, uncaring) guy in my senior populated building that I see every single time I venture out. He goes outside to smoke with no mask ever, or he hangs around the mailboxes with no mask ever.

Smoking means he has his hands near his mouth, and believe me he doesn't care to use hand sanitizer. He touches the doors and elevator buttons with those virus hands. He may be the person tossing his cig butts on the walkways. Some people are completely selfish. He isn't worried about catching the virus or giving the virus to me. He just thinks everyone else is making a big deal out of this little virus. I said something to him today about he's probably giving it to everyone else. I'm sure he was insulted. :mad:
I drive into my cul de sac after working at my essential job that won’t allow remote work only to find several neighbors chatting closely in driveways while walking dogs - the same two engaging everyone on the street if they are outside - I literally run from my car to the house - they aren’t wearing masks or anything - imo a bunch of idiots and one survived cancer many years ago and the other is a health care administrator - they should know better
JMO

“The USNS Comfort is no longer accepting new patients, Northwell Health spokesperson Terry Lynam told CNN, noting the number of patients on the ship have been going down daily.

Earlier today, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he told President Trump that he was happy to have the USNS Comfort in his state, but that it was no longer needed.

“We don’t really need the Comfort anymore… So if they need to deploy that somewhere else, they should take it,” Cuomo said in an interview.
The USNS Comfort has treated a total of 178 patients since it arrived in the New York harbor on March 30. Fifty-six patients remain on the ship, according to Lynam.
The patients still on the Comfort are a mix of both intensive care and "med-surge" patients, Lynam said, and are both Covid-related and non-Covid related.”

US coronavirus update: Latest on cases, deaths and reopening - CNN

What oh what do I tell me vacation renters due in July and August this year?
May not have a choice right? Our Jersey Shore town has banned short-term rentals (for now). And has even asked that vacation home owners themselves stay home. May be harder once Memorial Day Weekend arrives. I'm glad I stopped renting several years ago, using my little condo for myself and my family (kids and their families). I do feel for the other owners in our complex, those who rent to help pay their mortgages.

U.S. Virus Guidelines Reject Trump-Backed Drug Combination (1)

" The NIH panel made up of 50 doctors, pharmacy experts and government researchers and officials, specifically recommended against the use of the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine in combination with the antibiotic azithromycin.

The malaria pill can cause heart issues, and the NIH panel warned of the potential for harm from the combination."

“President Trump said Tuesday he will be speaking with Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp.

Trump was asked about concerns from top ally Sen. Lindsey Graham regarding Kemp’s lifting of some restrictions in Georgia and how it would impact neighboring South Carolina.

He offered praise for Kemp, calling him a “very capable man” who “knows what he’s doing.”

Trump said he is “scheduled to speak to the governor of Georgia in a little while.””

@10ofRods said in the prior thread:
"I guess I can try and lose more weight (have lost 10 pounds in quarantine)."

Please, @10ofRods, tell us your secret on how to lose weight during CV-19 quarantine. Thanks for bringing this up Seattle1. Gee, the only joy left is maybe going out to food shop or looking forward to food. How does someone lose ten pounds sitting home all day and night?

I used to eat lunch. Now I get up and my lifestyle is sort of like when I travel. Black coffee all morning, maybe a piece of toast. Then a late lunch and sometimes, no dinner. It's too much work. My big variable is alcohol - but if I measure my glass of wine or my beloved gin and tonic, and then do my steps around the house and yard, I seem to be running a small caloric deficit. I should say that this weight loss is since about Feb 10, I was already worrying a lot.

When I learned that obesity was the single most important factor for the non-elderly and the non-essential workers, I buckled down a little. We shall see if it goes further as I find myself craving sugar (too lazy to even make pancakes or cinnamon toast). I had some other health issues flare up, so that helped.

Also, I'm trying to get in shape for the camera! It really does add 10 pounds. I've done exactly 1 zoom session with the camera, I wish I could do zero.

I drive into my cul de sac after working at my essential job that won’t allow remote work only to find several neighbors chatting closely in driveways while walking dogs - the same two engaging everyone on the street if they are outside - I literally run from my car to the house - they aren’t wearing masks or anything - imo a bunch of idiots and one survived cancer many years ago and the other is a health care administrator - they should know better
JMO
One of my friends who is a nurse continues to post on swap sites! Talk about knowing better. I really want to smack some sense into her.

“President Trump says his executive order barring new immigration will apply only to people seeking green cards, will last 60 days and won’t affect workers entering the country on a temporary basis.”

[...]

“An administration official with knowledge of the process tells CNN Trump's executive order only addresses green cards because the work visa portion is more complicated and needs more time to sort out, especially given the fact that many of those currently in the US on work visas are working on things related to the pandemic, from workers at food processing plants to health care workers.”

“China said Tuesday this is a time for solidarity and cooperation, not “finger-pointing” and “politicization,” as its top diplomats in New York officially handed over a donation of medical supplies to hard-hit New York City to help tackle the coronavirus pandemic.”

[...]

China’s U.N. Ambassador Zhang Jun stressed the importance of multilateralism, saying “we live in one world” and COVID-19 “knows no borders.”

“We need to support the United Nations and the WHO in playing a leading and coordinating role in defeating COVID-19, the common enemy of all mankind,” he said. “We should stand firm against the politicization of the pandemic and remove all obstacles which hinder our cooperation.”’”

China calls for solidarity not `finger-pointing' on virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members