Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If people say the numbers aren't that bad, imo the reference isn't to people dying because a medical condition they have isn't being treated (like the examples in your post). Rather, I believe they're saying the numbers aren't that bad relative to the havoc the lockdown is wreaking on all facets of everyone else's life for who knows how long to come. jmo

Do you think they're seeing it as a good thing that the lockdowns have kept the cases down relatively low, or do you think maybe they think more along the lines of "the disruption wasn't worth it as there aren't as many deaths"?

Do you think people, in general, have a good concept of how many deaths have been prevented by certain actions?

Ok, so on my trip out, I stopped at a convenience store. I avoided my usual one because of the grossness I encountered there a week before lockdown. While the BP was better, it’s clear that people are still not getting it. Only the cashier wore a mask. The person working with the take-out food did not. And the one with the mask had it slipped down to his neck while talking face to face with the food person when I walked in. It took him awhile, after approaching me, to bring the mask back up to his face. And then, he only covered his mouth, not his nose. The plastic guard on the counter was worthless because they actually don’t stand behind it. It wasn’t close enough to the register to do either of us any good.

I won’t be going there again.

Ok, so on my trip out, I stopped at a convenience store. I avoided my usual one because of the grossness I encountered there a week before lockdown. While the BP was better, it’s clear that people are still not getting it. Only the cashier wore a mask. The person working with the take-out food did not. And the one with the mask had it slipped down to his neck while talking face to face with the food person when I walked in. It took him awhile, after approaching me, to bring the mask back up to his face. And then, he only covered his mouth, not his nose. The plastic guard on the counter was worthless because they actually don’t stand behind it. It wasn’t close enough to the register to do either of us any good.

I won’t be going there again.

even small convenience stores near me require masks to even enter.

Things are changing in Canada. The province of Saskatchewan was fortunate to shut things down early and minimize transmission. Because of their success, they are planning to open things up starting May 4, with eye doctor, dentist and doctor offices opening first. In Alberta, the Calgary Stampede in July has been cancelled for the first time since 1923. We have a mismatch happening in Canada where side-by-side provinces are now making very different decisions.

All eyes will be on Saskatchewan as it unrolls the 5 phase plan to open up the economy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/province-pandemic-reopen-plan-1.5542461

Is there a lot of movement between provinces though? Are there some heavy work environments on province borders?

In the US... I sortof wish we could "test" with Alaska and Hawaii first! If the movement was controlled, the results could be clearer.

Living "between" two pretty "macho me first" governors (Florida, Georgia), I just have no idea what we are going to be able to measure.

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
For all we know it's only halftime. How fast the infection goes down depends on what we do now. If we rush back to business as usual the virus will spike fast and furious. We have to be smart.
11:42 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
Who gets told to “go bankrupt”:
-“Blue” states
-The firefighters, police, schools and healthcare workers that we fund
Who doesn’t get told to “go bankrupt”:
-Large corporations
-Oil companies
-Chain restaurants
-Airlines
12:09 PM - 24 Apr 2020

WA Emergency Management on Twitter
Please don't eat tide pods or inject yourself with any kind of disinfectant. If you do need help with #COVID19 issues, we have lots of resources at https://coronavirus.wa.gov/
Just don't make a bad situation worse.
7:57 PM - 23 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Lysol manufacturer: "We must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route)."
9:31 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
FAUCI: "We absolutely need to significantly ramp up, not only the number of tests but the capacity to actually perform them... I am not overly confident right now at all, that we have what it takes to do that."
Trump disagrees with Fauci on US testing capacity - CNNPolitics
9:57 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
.@GovWhitmer extends Michigan stay-at-home order through May 15. New order will require face coverings in enclosed public spaces and relax some restrictions on previously non-essential businesses, recreational activities and traveling between residences.
10:58 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
CNN: 50,000 people in the United States have died from coronavirus.
11:04 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Manu Raju on Twitter
“The FDA is aware of reports of serious heart rhythm problems in patients with COVID-19 treated with hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, often in combination with azithromycin and other QT prolonging medicines,” FDA said today. Trump this month: “What do you have to lose? Take it”
11:14 AM - 24 Apr 2020

U.S. Surgeon General on Twitter
A reminder to all Americans- PLEASE always talk to your health provider first before administering any treatment/ medication to yourself or a loved one. Your safety is paramount, and doctors and nurses are have years of training to recommend what’s safe and effective.
9:49 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
New York City’s Department of Health sent an alert to providers advising them against using antibody tests to diagnose prior covid infection or to assess immunity because of low reliability and high rates of false positive results. This is a good regulatory action by the city.
EWX1gqtX0AAuLuI.jpg

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
For all we know it's only halftime. How fast the infection goes down depends on what we do now. If we rush back to business as usual the virus will spike fast and furious. We have to be smart.
11:42 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
Who gets told to “go bankrupt”:
-“Blue” states
-The firefighters, police, schools and healthcare workers that we fund
Who doesn’t get told to “go bankrupt”:
-Large corporations
-Oil companies
-Chain restaurants
-Airlines
12:09 PM - 24 Apr 2020

WA Emergency Management on Twitter
Please don't eat tide pods or inject yourself with any kind of disinfectant. If you do need help with #COVID19 issues, we have lots of resources at https://coronavirus.wa.gov/
Just don't make a bad situation worse.
7:57 PM - 23 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Lysol manufacturer: "We must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route)."

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
FAUCI: "We absolutely need to significantly ramp up, not only the number of tests but the capacity to actually perform them... I am not overly confident right now at all, that we have what it takes to do that."
Trump disagrees with Fauci on US testing capacity - CNNPolitics
9:57 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
.@GovWhitmer extends Michigan stay-at-home order through May 15. New order will require face coverings in enclosed public spaces and relax some restrictions on previously non-essential businesses, recreational activities and traveling between residences.
10:58 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
CNN: 50,000 people in the United States have died from coronavirus.
11:04 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Manu Raju on Twitter
“The FDA is aware of reports of serious heart rhythm problems in patients with COVID-19 treated with hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, often in combination with azithromycin and other QT prolonging medicines,” FDA said today. Trump this month: “What do you have to lose? Take it”
11:14 AM - 24 Apr 2020

U.S. Surgeon General on Twitter
A reminder to all Americans- PLEASE always talk to your health provider first before administering any treatment/ medication to yourself or a loved one. Your safety is paramount, and doctors and nurses are have years of training to recommend what’s safe and effective.
9:49 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
New York City’s Department of Health sent an alert to providers advising them against using antibody tests to diagnose prior covid infection or to assess immunity because of low reliability and high rates of false positive results. This is a good regulatory action by the city.
EWX1gqtX0AAuLuI.jpg

Cuomo’s not wrong

Do you think they're seeing it as a good thing that the lockdowns have kept the cases down relatively low, or do you think maybe they think more along the lines of "the disruption wasn't worth it as there aren't as many deaths"?

Do you think people, in general, have a good concept of how many deaths have been prevented by certain actions?

You didn't ask me, but just want to express my pain that 49,954 of my countrymen and women are now dead (Johns Hopkins numbers as of right now on their site). That's almost 50,000 fewer people working their jobs or hugging their grandkids or caring for their own kids. Almost 50,000 fewer people contributing to our nation's wealth and future prosperity. All this, in a little under 2 months, plus earlier deaths we didn't recognize as COVID.

Reducing this to a teeny percentage out of the probable number infected doesn't make it less horrifying. Doesn't make it less devastating to those who have to deal with the death, day in and day out. And to me, economic devastation isn't a reason to just go ahead and sacrifice the weak or elderly - it's an opportunity to innovate in business and in government, and to rethink how we view the destiny of our tax dollars. Who and what do we value? How do we make government more functional? JMO.

Coronavirus: Another 684 patients with COVID-19 die in UK hospitals as growth rate slows
Wales announced its biggest daily increase so far as lockdown measures in all home nations continue.

There have been a further 684 coronavirus-related deaths in UK hospitals, the Department of Health has said.

That takes the total number of COVID-19 patients to have died in UK hospitals to 19,506.

The growth rate of the disease continues to slow - it would now take 17 days for deaths to double as opposed to six days over the Easter weekend.

Earlier, NHS England confirmed another 587 people who had tested positive for coronavirus in hospitals have died.

Those who died were aged between 40 and 107, and the majority had underlying health conditions.

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said 64 more deaths of COVID-19 patients had been recorded by Friday, bringing the total to 1,184.

Wales announced its biggest daily increase so far, with 110 new deaths recorded. This is in part because it reported its figures later than usual and has revised its total to include 84 previously not counted cases.

London police arrest more than 4,000 people for domestic abuse during Covid-19 restrictions

[...]

... "Victims should be assured that they can leave their homes to escape harm or seek help, and they will not be penalized in any way for not maintaining social distancing, or otherwise breaching COVID-19 restrictions. Our prime concern is protecting victims and others who are affected, and bringing offenders to justice."

UK government to start trials of drones delivering medical supplies

[...]

The trials will begin next week and will carry medical equipment to St Mary's Hospital on the Isle of Wight, off UK's southern coast, Shapps said.

Here's who is joining the World Health Organization's new vaccine efforts

Leaders from around the world joined the World Health Organization, after it announced the launch of a new effort to accelerate the development of vaccines, diagnostics and therapeutics in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Here's what they're saying:
  • Melinda Gates, speaking for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a co-host of the effort, said, “the moment we are living through right now is a reminder, that we’re all part of the same global community. As new diagnostics, treatments and vaccines become available, we have a responsibility to get them out equitably, with the understanding that all lives have equal value.”
  • António Guterres, secretary-general of the United Nations said “the world needs development, production and equitable delivery of safe and effective Covid-19 vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics.”
  • Giuseppe Conte, prime minister of Italy said, “There is one thing we understand well, finding and distributing the vaccine is the only way to win this battle,” adding, "You can count on Italy, together we will make it.”
(more at the link)

The US will send ventilators to Ecuador, El Salvador and Indonesia, Trump says

[...]

Trump also praised El Salvador for helping the US on immigration.

"Will be helping them with Ventilators, which are desperately needed," Trump wrote. "They have worked well with us on immigration at the Southern Border!"

Germany's largest state will allow some religious services next month

Bavaria, Germany's largest federal state, will allow church and other religious services to go ahead under certain conditions beginning on May 4, local authorities said on Friday.

Visitors must maintain a distance of about 2 meters, or about six feet, from each other and wear face coverings. There will also be a 60-minute time limit, Bavaria's head of the state chancellery Florian Herrmann told CNN in a statement.

[...]

France won't consider a date to reopen restaurants before end of May

[...]

“Nothing would be worse than a hasted reopening that would entail new closure later. We prefer to take the time to plan a reopening in the best sanitary conditions possible," French finance minister Bruno Le Maire said.

[...]

The UK government's new coronavirus testing website overwhelmed by demand in its first hours online

[...]

The site went live at 6am UK time (1aET).

By late Friday morning, users trying to book a test were greeted by a message saying: “You can’t currently register for a Covid-19 test. Please check back here later.”

[...]

Researchers clone antibodies from recovered coronavirus patients, with hope for a future treatment

[...]

In test tubes, the antibodies prevented the binding of the novel coronavirus to its receptor, according to the researchers. Antibodies that block that step – which is critical for infection – could one day be a promising treatment for the virus.

But it’s not clear whether blocking the binding of the virus in a lab means the antibodies could prevent infection in real humans.

[...]

Germany's virus reproduction rate is increasing

Germany’s coronavirus reproduction rate has increased to 0.9 according to the country's centre for disease and control, the Robert Koch Institute, meaning every 10 people with the virus infect an average of nine others.

That’s up from a reproduction rate of 0.7 a week ago, according to the Institute’s Vice President Lars Schaade.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has previously warned that if the number -- also known as the R0 value -- rises above 1, the country’s health system would eventually be overwhelmed.

[...]

Several Sydney beaches shut again after beachgoers flout rules

Three southern Sydney beaches closed for a second time, only five days after being reopened, according to a statement from the Randwick City Council.

The beaches of Clovelly, Coogee and Maroubra were shut at 1pm Friday after “people failed to use beaches for exercise only.”

[...]

In March, Bondi beach closed down after thousands of beachgoers ignored the advice from officials to avoid large gatherings and practice social distancing.

A baby girl laughed after hearing her Covid-positive mother's voice for the first time

[...]

The mother had gestational diabetes and hypothyroidism, making the birth a "challenge," said Kulkarni -- but "when we delivered a healthy baby it was quite a memorable moment for us."

"Once the baby was delivered, the mother kept asking for the child because naturally she wanted to see her, then we got the idea to have a video call. The baby recognized her mother's voice and was smiling and laughing as this was the only voice she knew since when she was in the womb," Kulkarni said.

[...]

The pandemic will kill more Americans than died in Vietnam

[...]

By this time next week, it seems very possible that more people will have died in the US of Covid-19 than the 58,000 who died in nearly of decade of fighting in Vietnam.

We're already far past the more than 35,000 who died in the Korean War. The country was much smaller during those conflicts -- but it seemed everyone had a story.

[...]

Men should do grocery shopping during pandemic as women take too long, Japanese mayor says

[...]

"Women take a longer time grocery shopping because they browse through different products and weigh out which option is best," Matsui told reporters at a coronavirus news conference in Osaka on Thursday.

"Men quickly grab what they're told to buy so they won't linger at the supermarket -- that avoids close contact with others."

Coronavirus live news and updates from around the world - CNN

Coronavirus : Top 5 Most PROMISING drugs for COVID-19 | Lung Doctor's Insight

In this video, I discuss the most important drugs that are being investigated in Randomized Control Trials for Coronavirus aka COVID19.

This includes the following:

Hydroxychloroquine
Chloroquine
Ivermectin
Camostat mesylate
Nitazoxanide
Kaletra (Lopinavir/Ritonavir)
Ribavirin
Arbidol (Umifenovir)
Favipiravir
Tocilizumab
Sarilumab
Remdesivir
Lisinopril (Zestril)
Enalapril (Vasotec)
Benazepril (Lotensin)
Captopril (Capoten)
Fosinopril (Monopril)
Quinapril (Accupril)
Recombinant human ACE2
D4711
Technically not a drug, but: Convalescent Plasma (Hyperimmunoglobulin)

Yes! Many more needles in the haystack... they all better get a fair share of funding to test, manufacture and use...........

Coronavirus: Captain Tom Moore beats The Weeknd and becomes oldest person to reach Number 1

Captain Tom Moore has beaten The Weeknd to number one, meaning he'll be top of the charts for his 100th birthday.

You'll Never Walk Alone, which is raising money for the NHS as it battles the coronavirus crisis, beat the Canadian singer's Blinding Lights to first place.

The war veteran's duet with Michael Ball is the fastest-selling single of 2020.

It means that when he celebrates his birthday on Thursday, Captain Moore will be the first centenarian to grace the top spot.

In becoming the oldest person to reach Number 1, he beats previous record-holder Tom Jones by over 30 years.

What a fantastic guy, what a great achievement as he turns 100 and he did it all in the middle of a crisis too!

Probably through educating the public like we were educated here. The original people in this thread had become educated enough to start buying masks in January. By the first week in February we were stocking our pantries. By the end of February, many of us were avoiding as many public places as we could. I think the public could have been prepped little by little for what we might need to do. The library I work at was one of the first in our system to shut down partly because I had educated myself and had started prepping my boss for this weeks before. And the day I called him and asked if we could shut down that day he told me yes. It really was as simple as that. We shut down before the stay at home order.

I also don’t think that hindsight is a bad thing. If we had used what we learned in hindsight about the Spanish Flu epidemic, we would have been better off as well. And in this case, analyzing what could have prevented more deaths is relevant now because we will have a second wave and more. We need to know at what point action needs to be taken the second time around, especially when the second wave may be worse.

I am not yet convinced that it would have been 'better' to totally shut down sooner. I do think there is still a 'herd' immunity that is a necessary factor at some point. We do need a certain amount of the population to have been exposed and to begin building up their antibodies. Maybe I understand it wrong, but I thought that was a necessity at some point.

If we had shut down the nation completely, when there had only been 11 deaths, then what? How long before we begin to slowly re-open, with an entirely unexposed, virgin population? There would still have been deaths at some point. JMO

Last edited:
I am not yet convinced that it would have been 'better' to totally shut down sooner. I do think there is still a 'herd' immunity that is a necessary factor at some point. We do need a certain amount of the population to have been exposed and to begin building up their antibodies.

If we had shut down the nation completely, when there had only been 11 deaths, then what? How long before we begin to slowly re-open, with an entirely unexposed, virgin population? There would still have been deaths at some point. JMO

IMO. Protecting people should be the priority. Not protecting businesses and stocks

Trump’s claims about disinfectant and sunlight fact-checked

BBC fact checks the President's sunlight and disinfectant claims.

President Donald Trump has questioned whether injecting people with disinfectants and exposing patients' bodies to UV light could help treat the coronavirus.

The Reality Check team has been looking into both of these issues.

Claim 1
"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Mr Trump suggests injecting patients with disinfectants might help treat coronavirus.

Using a disinfectant can kill viruses on surfaces, but this is crucially only about infected objects and surfaces - not about what happens once the virus is inside your body.

Not only does consuming or injecting disinfectant risk poisoning and death, it's not even likely to be effective.

Doctors have appealed to people not to ingest or inject disinfectant, as there are concerns people will think this is a good idea and die.

"Injecting bleach or disinfectant at the dose required to neutralise viruses in the circulating blood would likely result in significant, irreversible harm and probably a very unpleasant death," says Rob Chilcott, professor of toxicology at the University of Hertfordshire."

He adds that it would also "not have much effect on viral particles within the cells".

_111927158_dettol.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionIt is highly dangerous to use disinfectants inside the human body
Reckitt Benckiser, a leading manufacturer of disinfectant products including Lysol and Dettol, has issued a statement in response to the president's comments. It said: "We must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route)."

Claim 2
"I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you're going to test that too... So, we'll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute - that's pretty powerful."

Mr Trump has also floated the idea of exposing patients to "ultraviolet or just very powerful light".

There is some evidence that, in general, viruses on surfaces die more quickly when exposed directly to sunlight. But we don't know how much or how long they have to be exposed for UV light to have an effect.

And again, this is only about infected objects and surfaces - not about what happens once the virus is inside your body.

_111928749_bb369a7a-2fe1-4e54-9081-e355136a810d.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionUV light won't make a difference if you're infected with the coronavirus
By the time the virus has taken hold inside your body, no amount of UV light on your skin is going to make a difference.

"UV irradiation and high heat are known to kill virus particles on surfaces," says Dr Penny Ward, visiting professor in pharmaceutical medicine at Kings College London. But "neither sitting in the sun, nor heating, will kill a virus replicating in an individual patient's internal organs".

_111165274_cps_web_banner_top_640x3-nc.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members