Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally haven't heard from anyone prepping for a second wave.

I want an upright freezer with some stuff in it before a second wave.

Maybe some jigsaw puzzles.

I honestly think a second wave might be easier. We kind of know what to expect.

The entire world needs to figure out how to deal with nursing homes to protect them. And the entire world needs to figure out how to protect the vulnerable without locking up the whole population.

Jmo
I agree. In Europe 50% of deaths are from care homes and in UK 9 out of 10 have an underlying health condition. Plus over 70's have vulnerability too. Therefore if people in those groups are shielded or protected then why can't the rest come out of lockdown?

Today I had to mow the lawn, it's been raining a lot and the grass has grown pretty high. I kept changing directions and areas of mowing when people would walk by with their kids or a dog, I tried to get out early p.m. before most people take their walk later in the afternoon, according to patterns I have noticed from my window.

Tonight when I was watching the news, I heard that in Michigan people aren't allowed to go outside to mow their lawns. I don't know if that's true, but if so, that's going too far. Don't see how anyone can stop you from being on your own property.

EBM grammar change
Another untrue story and probably an attempt to discredit the governor.
Yes, you can mow your lawn under Gov. Whitmer's executive order

I'm curious on everyone's opinion. How many do you know, who are prepared for and expecting a second wave? Is this going to be exactly like the first wave or will it be better/worse...in your opinion?

Our local health teams are preparing for a second wave. They believe it could be worse than the first. When preparing for something like this, they believe it's best practice to prepare for the worst case scenario, so they are definitely getting ready. Factors include cooler weather brings people inside, possibly daycare and school will return, onset of flu season, fewer snowbirds will migrate, general compliance fatigue, etc.

We on WS, can also prepare for a second wave and have our supplies in place for the fall and winter season. We can work on it all summer, figuring out what exactly we will need, and preparing for it in many practical ways, so that if the second wave is worse than this one, we will be able to avoid outings that we once thought were necessary.

A US review of the repatriation of people from Wuhan says safety protocols were not followed

[...]

What the report says: According to the summary of the Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of General Counsel’s investigation obtained by CNN, the state of California was going to handle the repatriation of individuals from Wuhan -- but at the last minute, it was decided the facility they were going to use was “medically inadequate."

HHS stepped in, but according to the report, “there was no designated agency or official leading the repatriation effort.”

[...]

Many Southern California beaches remain closed as heatwave hits

[...]

In Los Angeles county, the stay-at-home order states that all public beaches, piers, public beach parking lots and beach access points remain shuttered.

The closures could prompt Southern Californians to head to Ventura and Orange counties, where most beaches are open but parking lots and piers are closed to curb visits from out-of-towners.

Both the Los Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles County Sheriff are increasing patrols to enforce social distancing rules at beaches.

[...]

The pandemic ruined their plans for a big wedding. They still managed to be surrounded by loved ones

dd6fd9fa-e260-4fed-ab1d-5aeac94c60e6.jpg

[...]

Their families surprised the couple Friday by putting photographs of the guests in the pews at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in St. Francesville, Louisiana, near Baton Rouge.

The Keefers are both nurses in the Baton Rouge area -- he works in the ER and she's treating Covid-19 patients in ICU. Mel Keefer, 35, said he met 25-year-old Clare when they both worked at Baton Rouge General Medical Center.

[...]

"The most important thing is that we wanted to be married," he said. "We didn't want to put something off that we were ready for just to have a bigger ceremony."

Read the full story here.

Lifting lockdowns safely relies on effective testing. Germany surges ahead, but US states are flying blind

People in the US state of Georgia can now get their nails done, their hair cut -- even get a tattoo or a massage -- after just three weeks of a state-wide stay-at-home order. That's an awful lot of touching, considering a highly contagious and deadly virus is going round.

These activities may give some people in Georgia a sense that life is returning to normal, but Gov. Brian Kemp's decision to allow such businesses to reopen Friday is a risky roll of the dice. In a state that has performed a relatively small number of coronavirus tests, Kemp is driving Georgia through this pandemic blindfolded.

[...]

If one lesson has come out of the rapid spread and sweeping death toll of this coronavirus over the past few months, it's the importance of testing, health experts have reiterated.

[...]

Aides and allies making concerted effort to get Trump to stop doing daily briefings

[...]

After weeks of briefings that sometimes last more than two hours, there is some agreement in the West Wing that some of the news conferences have gone on too long, resulting in a situation where Trump and administration officials simply run out of coronavirus-related questions. The result, aides have noticed, is that the briefings stray into politics instead of the matter at hand.

[...]

Read the rest of the article here.

Over a quarter of the world's coronavirus deaths are in the United States

[...]

In the US, limited testing in early February was part of the reason California officials did not count two earlier deaths as coronavirus-related. This week, they confirmed the two victims -- a 57-year-old woman who died February 6 and a 69-year-old man who died February 17-- are the earliest known US victims.

New efforts by some states to trace more cases will give officials a better idea of the magnitude of the pandemic in the country. That, in addition to testing -- which experts say is still not where it needs to be.

More testing needed: The US has conducted about 5.1 million tests but Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's leading epidemiologist, said this week the nation needs to increase testing. Two new reports from public health experts and economists highlight that in order to safely reopen states, the country needs to conduct millions of tests per week.

[...]

Read the rest of the article here.

Coronavirus live news and updates from around the world - CNN

That's what happened with Spanish flu pandemic. Second wave was worse than the first.
Worse because the virus mutated and because people relaxed. Note the Philadelphia parade which was allowed.
Philadelphia Threw a WWI Parade That Gave Thousands of Onlookers the Flu | History | Smithsonian Magazine

There were 3 different waves of illness during the pandemic, starting in March 1918 and subsiding by summer of 1919. The pandemic peaked in the U.S. during the second wave, in the fall of 1918. This highly fatal second wave was responsible for most of the U.S. deaths attributed to the pandemic.
1918 Pandemic Influenza: Three Waves | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC

So, I put on some “normal clothes” for the first time since I’ve been in lockdown, which is around two months I think. I’ve only been wearing comfie house clothes, PJs and sweats. Well, they are literally falling down I’ve dropped so much weight from loss of appetite and rationing. Maybe 10-20 lbs? Who knew rationing is really portion control haha. Anyway this is HUGE for me because my fibromyalgia medication causes excessive appetite and weight gain, as it’s also prescribed for anorexia lol.

The problem now is I’m still not that motivated to exercise at home, but I’m really working on that because I don’t want my muscle mass to deteriorate, and to develop stiffness, lack of flexibility, pain, etc.

Basically I forbid myself to order fattening food or I’ll just sit around and eat it, plus it just doesn’t last. I focused on ordering nutrition based ingredients for meals and that has turned out well.

I need to fine tune my exercise. I went into this knowing since January I wanted to lose 12 lb. I think I've lost 3 lol.

I found out in January I had gained 12 lb in a year. I've never owned scales but I do now! I'm still not sure scales are anything but the devil, but for now . . .

Great idea...children asking questions. On now

CNN teams with Sesame Street for 'ABC's of COVID-19' town hall

CNN announced it will team with Sesame Street for a town hall on Saturday morning designed to educate children on the novel coronavirus.

The 90-minute event, "The ABC's of COVID-19," will be moderated by CNN's chief medical correspondent, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, anchor Erica Hill and Sesame Street's Big Bird.

The virtual offering will "tackle issues including education, anxiety, screen time and playdates," CNN said.
Awww...last question was “Did the Easter Bunny have to wear a hazmat suit?”

Well all I can say is that all this is depressing enough as it is without gaining a bunch of weight on top of everything. We have a choice here to at least try. It’s hard not to let everything go to the dogs right now but I hope I can inspire or encourage people to really try to not lose total control. Yes we all need our treats, but unless you’re exercising at home this is a bad recipe and the last thing we need is to add more illnesses to ourselves. I have a huge tendency to emotional eat, ice cream specifically, so knowing this I’m not even buying the stuff. If it’s not in the house, I can’t eat it. It also gives me a sense of control, one element which we are all lacking right now. :)

So quit ordering so much flour, sugar and junk people!!!! :D You don’t want to be rolling out of your house when this is all over with. Or have increased blood pressure, diabetes, etc. If I can do it, you can do it. :)

Just some friendly advice to my peeps because I know many are struggling with this. To me it comes down to just not ordering or buying the stuff because if it’s here I have zero control.

ETA: We all know weed also gives you the munchies :)
One of our local road stands/produce markets just opened this morning. I thought they would only have Jersey asparagus. But, to my most pleasant surprise they had stocked up on some hot house produce as well as fruit and veggies from all over. I came home with said asparagus and also blueberries, raspberries, bananas, tomatoes, onions, avocados, brussel sprouts, and a whole lot more plants for the garden - herbs, veggies, berries, and flowers. My day is already made and it's not even 10am here in Southern NJ. :)

What happened on board the last cruise ship still at sea

In January 2020, the gigantic Costa Deliziosa cruise ship slipped its moorings in the Italian city of Venice and headed out into the Adriatic Sea on an around-the-world voyage. Around 2000 passengers were on board for what they hoped would be the trip of a lifetime.

[...]

Those on board who completed the voyage have been revealing what it was like to cruise around the planet while the world descended into crisis -- as destination after destination was struck from their itinerary, amid mounting fears the virus would climb aboard and wreak havoc.

Find out what they did in this exclusive piece.

Medical expert to children: "Do not drink soaps or detergent or bleach"

Wen's advice was shared during "The ABC's of Covid 19: A CNN/Sesame Street Town Hall for Kids and Parents."

"Do not drink soaps or detergent or bleach or anything that you and your parents use to clean your house. Don't do that. I'm an ER doctor, and in the ER, I've seen kids come in who get very sick from drinking these things," Wen said. "These are very dangerous things to drink. So, please do not drink them or eat soap or anything like that. You should use, soap, though, on your hands. And wash your hands very well with soap and water. That's because the coronavirus, has Dr. Gupta was saying is this very small virus."

[...]

Kids ask experts about coronavirus: "When can I go to the park again?"

[...]

These questions were asked this morning during the CNN and Sesame Street coronavirus town hall.

"We don't know when it's going to be over. Wish we did. That's the honest answer," Dr. Sanjay Gupta said.

"One thing that's important for everyone, kids and adults, document this time in some way. I tell my own kids, I have three girls myself. I tell them to write down something good every day and practice the gratitude that seems to make the days go by faster," he continued.

[...]

Children older than 2 should wear a mask in public, Dr. Sanjay Gupta says

"The masks are a way to prevent from you spreading germs even as you just breathe," he said.

Gupta said children under 2-years-old do not need to wear a mask, but children older than 2 should wear a mask when they are in public and around other people

"You don't need to sew to make a mask. You can easily make one. You can even decorate your own mask with items you have at your house," Gupta told Sesame Street's Elmo as he demonstrated how to fold a bandana into a face covering.

[...]

Dr. Sanjay Gupta shows children how to properly wash their hands

[...]

Gupta instructed children to sing the "Happy Birthday" song twice while they wash in order to make sure they are thoroughly clean.

"In order to show you how to properly wash your hands I but a little glitter on my hands. That's dirt the challenge to get this up. And I put some dirt and I sing happy birthday twice," Gupta said in a video made for Sesame Street's Elmo.

No evidence that people who had coronavirus are immune from second infection, WHO warns

[...]

“There is no evidence yet that people who have had Covid-19 will not get a second infection,” the WHO said in a new scientific brief.

The WHO is warning against governments issuing “immunity passports” to people who have had Covid-19, assuming they are safe to resume normal life.

“At this point in the pandemic, there is not enough evidence about the effectiveness of antibody-mediated immunity to guarantee the accuracy of an 'immunity passport' or 'risk-free certificate,'" the brief said.

[...]

The health agency says it is reviewing evidence on antibody responses to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19-infection. The brief says “most” of the studies show that people who have “recovered from infection have antibodies to the virus.”

But as of yesterday, no study has “evaluated whether the presence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 confers immunity to subsequent infection by this virus in humans.

Lockdown should ease to help economy - Hammond

( Phillip Hammond was the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer 2015-2019 )

_111951520_061180249.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionCafes and shops closed in Brixton market, south London.
Former chancellor Philip Hammond has urged the government to set out its plan to restart the economy.

Ministers have been reluctant to discuss a lockdown exit strategy, arguing that it might undermine the message for people to stay at home.

Mr Hammond said the country cannot afford to wait until a vaccine is developed and called on the government to start easing lockdown measures.

But Conservative MP Damian Green said the government was acting "sensibly".

Mr Hammond told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The reality is that we have to start reopening the economy. But we have to do it living with Covid.

"We can't wait until a vaccine is developed, produced in sufficient quantity and rolled out across the population. The economy won't survive that long."

Many businesses around the UK have shut up shop, with more than 140,000 firms applying for help to pay their wage bill through the government's job retention scheme.

Those businesses left in limbo now need to be told what requirements they will have to fulfil when the economy starts to reopen, so they can start preparing, Mr Hammond said.

"If we are all going to have to wear face masks travelling on public transport, businesses need to know that now so that businesses that have capacity to manufacture products like that can start planning to do so," he said.

"If restaurants, when they eventually reopen, are going to have to operate with many fewer tables, they need to start thinking about how they adapt their business model to be able to do that."

The director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies told the BBC this week that the economic impact of coronavirus was likely to push the deficit to as high as £260bn.

See more at link.

Today I had to mow the lawn, it's been raining a lot and the grass has grown pretty high. I kept changing directions and areas of mowing when people would walk by with their kids or a dog, I tried to get out early p.m. before most people take their walk later in the afternoon, according to patterns I have noticed from my window.

Tonight when I was watching the news, I heard that in Michigan people aren't allowed to go outside to mow their lawns. I don't know if that's true, but if so, that's going too far. Don't see how anyone can stop you from being on your own property.

EBM grammar change

That's not true about not being able to go outside and mow your lawn in Michigan:

Under Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's extension of the stay home order, professional lawn care is only permissible if it is necessary for the safety and functioning of a home — as landscaping businesses were deemed nonessential Thursday.

The new fountain you wanted to install this summer is going to have to wait along with any other cosmetic additions to your lawn as non-emergency maintenance is entirely prohibited under the order.

However, mowing your own lawn and mowing the lawn of an elderly neighbor is permissible as long as social distancing guidelines are followed.

Read more: Yes, you can mow your lawn under Gov. Whitmer's executive order

I have some relatives living in Michigan and they said they have not quite gotten to the point where they need to mow their lawn yet (they had snow last week) but they plan to mow a neighbor's lawn this summer in addition to their own.

Worse because the virus mutated and because people relaxed. Note the Philadelphia parade which was allowed.
Philadelphia Threw a WWI Parade That Gave Thousands of Onlookers the Flu | History | Smithsonian Magazine

There were 3 different waves of illness during the pandemic, starting in March 1918 and subsiding by summer of 1919. The pandemic peaked in the U.S. during the second wave, in the fall of 1918. This highly fatal second wave was responsible for most of the U.S. deaths attributed to the pandemic.
1918 Pandemic Influenza: Three Waves | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC

This reminds me. Omggggg. I made a note about this in the early days, the second wave was SOoooooooo bad. The symptoms that people experienced were so bad and crazy I was so disturbed I had to turn the documentary off. I made a note about it, let me see if I can find it. It was BAD.

ETA: I had also posted a link to what a ravaged lung looked like from the 1918 flu that is on display at a museum. It was sooo awful that I wished I hadn’t seen it. I still can’t get that picture out of my head. One of the grossest things I’ve ever seen in my life.

World Health Organization (WHO) on Twitter
There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from #COVID19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection. #coronavirus
"Immunity passports" in the context of COVID-19
6:33 AM - 25 Apr 2020

The development of immunity to a pathogen through natural infection is a multi-step process that typically takes place over 1-2 weeks. This process is often measured by the presence of antibodies in blood. #COVID19 #coronavirus
6:50 AM - 25 Apr 2020

WHO continues to review the evidence on antibody responses to the #COVID19 #coronavirus infection. Most of these studies show that people who have recovered from infection have antibodies to the virus. However, some of these ppl have very low levels of antibodies in their blood
EWchYARX0AAanJA.jpg

7:21 AM - 25 Apr 2020

WHO is working with researchers across the globe to better understand the human body's response to infection from #COVID19 and if the antibody response provides protection from subsequent infections and if so, for how long. #coronavirus
8:49 AM - 25 Apr 2020

At this point in the #COVID19 pandemic, there is not enough evidence about the effectiveness of antibody-mediated immunity to guarantee the accuracy of an “immunity passport” or “risk-free certificate.” #coronavirus
9:16 AM - 25 Apr 2020

We acknowledge the anxiety surrounding the unknowns for those who have recovered from #COVID19. WHO and partners continue to review the evidence on antibody responses to the infection. As new evidence becomes available, we will provide updates on this matter. #coronavirus
9:45 AM - 25 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
CNN: 900,000 people in the United States have tested positive for coronavirus.
10:09 AM - 25 Apr 2020

Not sure if anyone has noticed, LOL, but I have not made one cruise ship related post since the Diamond Princess. Anytime I see the words “cruise ship”, my blood boils so I scroll past. Just sayin. Maybe one day I’ll be emotionally capable, but let’s just say major ball drop moo.

Let kids feel their emotions during stressful times, child psychiatrist says

[...]

Njoroge, who is a child psychiatrist, said using creative strategies like art is a good way to help kids work through emotions.

"We're all stressed and tired and anxious and scared and all of that is okay and they can work through some of those things by playing or drawing," Njoroge added.

She said there are several resources to help parents work through their child's emotions with them –– including Sesame Street and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

Distance learning has helped quieter students express themselves, school principal says

[...]

"We have learned a lot about distance learning and about the different learning styles of students. We've actually noticed quite a few of our students who maybe aren't as talkative in class and maybe don't express themselves as much actually express themselves much more when responding during distance learning time," Riggins said. ...

Kids should spend less time on electronics for personal entertainment, Dr. Sanjay Gupta says

[...]

"Kids are home on their screens quite a bit for school. I think one of the things we've done, and looking at some of the advice from the pediatric community, is to make sure they're taking breaks from the screen," he said.

Taking breaks and helping your kids get away from the screen is also important to prevent things like headaches.

[...]

"I think that giving kids boundaries for sure is helpful in managing screen time. I also think that finding more extensions of activities outdoors... it could be helping with planting a garden or some yard work or some exploratory activities outside," Riggins said.

Pediatrician encourages children to eat healthy during the pandemic

[...]

"We need to try to eat our smoothies, eat our veggies and get enough sleep and exercise. Not fighting bedtime. And really having those dance parties. I strongly recommend those," Bracho-Sanchez said.

More than 20,000 people have died in the UK from coronavirus

[...]

In total, 148,377 people in the country have tested positive for Covid-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member