Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
mj, how come Canadians don't have masks.
I watch the news wrt other countries, and it shows so many citizens wearing masks.
Did they all have a stockpile at home.
Did us Canadians miss the memo?
I'm in the countryside, so I only see a few shoppers with masks.
As long as people are social distancing ie hockey stick apart, you don't need a mask. IMO public health authorities want to emphasize that. When people wear masks, they start feeling they can get closer to people (they have to, in order to hear them). No Canadian public health official or politician is using or recommending them. Canadians are following scientific advice, not folk remedies.

If they are recommended as social distancing is relaxed, it will come with very strong, clear communication about how they should be used.

I just took the kitchen trash can out to disinfect it. I keep it on the small size because I’m in the coastal South and we have these disgusting flying palmetto bugs...think big cockroaches..that can come in from garden or patio. The cats usually torture them and then I have to pick them up and toss them in the trash. Then because it’s part stainless steel I decided to polish it. I think I should seek professional help, but we don’t Skype.

I just took the kitchen trash can out to disinfect it. I keep it on the small size because I’m in the coastal South and we have these disgusting flying palmetto bugs...think big cockroaches..that can come in from garden or patio. The cats usually torture them and then I have to pick them up and toss them in the trash. Then because it’s part stainless steel I decided to polish it. I think I should seek professional help, but we don’t Skype.

You're having a weekend of it, aren't you?

I read on the local news that there is a demonstration at my state's capital to reopen the state. The crowd was shown, people standing close (definitely not 6 feet apart), no masks, no gloves. I don't want my state to open anytime soon.

Imo, the way they are classifying "Covid deaths" is so absurd, you have to wonder why. The quote is from the link and there's video of her saying this and elaborating at the link.

IDPH Director explains how Covid deaths are classified

Essentially, Dr. Ezike explained that anyone who passes away after testing positive for the virus is included in that category.

"If you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live, and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who's listed as a COVID death doesn't mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of the death." Dr. Ezike outlined.
Interesting, thanks.

I think it's the same with pneumonia and other types of flu, they generally cause death amongst those with weak immune systems due to other illnesses. I think, normally, two sets of stats would be kept: immediate cause of death, and underlying condition. I expect there is going to be analysis about that for covid-19, too, it's just no one has time right now.

I agree. In Europe 50% of deaths are from care homes and in UK 9 out of 10 have an underlying health condition. Plus over 70's have vulnerability too. Therefore if people in those groups are shielded or protected then why can't the rest come out of lockdown?

Obesity is the main underlying condition. 37-40% of Americans over the age of 20 are obese. A lot of them seem not to know this, as they are definitely as likely to go out, from what I can tell, as anyone else.

8% of adult Americans have asthma - which means about 8% of the obese have two pre-existing conditions, and brings the total number of Americans with pre-existing conditions to about 50%.

After that, it gets hard to calculate, as many diabetics are also overweight or obese.

UK has similar obesity rates and that 9 out of 10 that had an underlying health condition - well, in UK and US, again, obesity is the most common of them, followed by diabetes. So I'm going to theorize that the diabetes deaths are in diabetics who are not obese (in terms of how the underlying condition was classified - again, many people have more than one underlying condition; most people reading this probably have at least one - I have 4). Both of my thirty-something daughters have 1 condition each.

In fact, I'd wager that the majority of Americans have at least 1 underlying condition. 10.5% are diabetic (I'm guessing only half of those are obese), so add another 5%.

50% of Americans have some form of heart disease. It's our leading cause of death. Naturally, a disproportionate number of them are obese, but not all of them are. So add another 10% (my guess).

Add all of that up and we have about 70% of us with underlying conditions (we haven't even mentioned many others that would be considered underlying in this situation: COPD, cancer, anorexia, alcoholism, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, MS, CF, RA, blood clotting disorders, celiac disease, Crohn's disease, etc etc). Among my students (average age is probably 23-24) about half report they have allergies. All of those would count as "pre-existing conditions" for the purposes of mortality research. In fact, it's really important to know this, because many students take some kind of steroid (usually a nasal spray) that needs to be studied in relationship to this virus.

So...do you think that most people will think of themselves as being in this vulnerable group? It's true that the surfers I'm watching on webcam are not obese (there's just one guy out of about 50 this morning that I've seen), but on the beach at Huntington Beach, I'd say about 20% are obese. When Vegas reopens, it'll be about 50% obese people out there, is my guess (along with tons of people with other underlying conditions, as the crowd contains may people over the age of 40, for good reasons).

California has lower obesity rates than half of the rest of the nation. The South has the highest. Colorado and Hawaii have the least amount. There are zero US states that have fewer than 20% who are obese.

I don't think the obese people are going to stay home, personally. At least, a lot of them won't. I'm seeing a pic on my TV right now, of a boat in Laguna and there are about 30 people on one point, I can see that 3 of them are well into obese, of 10 people visible as the boat goes by on video.

New Adult Obesity Maps

When I go over this in class, it is not a popular topic at all. I'm not thin and kind of hover on the boundary between overweight and obese, so that's one of my underlying conditions too. That makes it easier for students to come up to me after class and ask questions. I've also done a public lecture series on obesity in certain ethnic communities that have genetics that put them more at risk for being overweight (like Hawaiians and Hualapai Indians; some others).

I wasn't overweight for the first ⅔ of my life though, which is a helpful part of a person's history. Young people who are obese are at risk for dying from CV19 (and of the young dying, a considerable number are obese), but they will remain at risk for CV19 for the rest of their lives, each time they are out in a crowd, until we get a vaccine or better therapeutics, they are risking CV19. Statistically, though, they might be better off getting it in their 20's - so yeah, opening up may have some beneficial results for some of the people with underlying conditions. Being obese decade after decade will take its toll on this overweight-to-obese 20-somethings. The little kids who are obese will be at more risk 10 years from now, when they hit their 20's.

I guess we'll get used to all of this.

She's flat out saying if you DEFINITELY died from something else totally unrelated to Covid, you will be counted as a Covid death if you tested positive for it. That couldn't help but skew the numbers, especially since a lot of the deaths are in nursing homes/hospice and/or among people with serious comorbities.

eta the relevant part of her quote from the link above:

"It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death."
I don't think you can draw the line that clearly, the body isn't a machine with separate parts, altho medical science talks about it that way.

IMO, death is always caused when the heart stops. Science looks for the short term cause, why that heart stopped, at that time.

This is extreme but, what if someone with terminal cancer commits suicide by shooting themselves. Cause of death will be the gun shot, not the suicide, and not the cancer diagnosis that led them to do it, and certainly not the actual cancer.

Similarly, when a person has this virus, the body cannot ignore it and carry on with the long, slow, death by cancer. The body will have to mount a defense against the virus, which will either succeed, leading to recovery, or fail, leading to death. The specific reasons why the immune system failed are important, but the immediate cause of death will be the corona virus invading their body.

JMO

I don't think you can draw the line that clearly, the body isn't a machine with separate parts, altho medical science talks about it that way.

IMO, death is always caused when the heart stops. Science looks for the short term cause, why that heart stopped, at that time.

This is extreme but, what if someone with terminal cancer commits suicide by shooting themselves. Cause of death will be the gun shot, not the suicide, and not the cancer diagnosis that led them to do it.

Similarly, when a person has this virus, the body cannot ignore it and carry on with the long, slow, death by cancer. The body will have to mount a defense against the virus, which will either succeed, leading to recovery, or fail, leading to death. The specific reasons why the immune system failed are important, but the immediate cause of death will be the corona virus invading their body.

JMO

Well, that's not what she said. She said even if you die from a clear alternative cause, you're classified as covid if you tested positive. So the person who shot themselves in the head would be a covid death if the person tested positive. There's no legitimate justication for that, imo.

Can this pulse monitor detect COVID-19?

Pulse oximeters can provide an early warning sign of COVID-19 for patients in hospitals, but are those devices as effective when people use them at home?

video

Can this pulse monitor detect COVID-19?

I have seen this around the internet that Kim Jong-un

Kim Jong Un is rumored to be dead, according to a Hong Kong broadcast network, while a Japanese magazine is reporting that North Korea’s rocket man is in a “vegetative state” after he underwent heart surgery earlier this month.

A vice director of HKSTV Hong Kong Satellite Television, a Beijing-backed broadcast network in Hong Kong, claimed that Kim was dead, citing a “very solid source.” Her post on the Chinese messaging app Weibo has been shared widely on social media, according to a report in the International Business Times.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/north-korean-dictator-kim-jong-un-rumored-to-be-dead/

Well, that's not what she said. She said even if you die from a clear alternative cause, you're classified as covid if you tested positive. So the person who shot themselves in the head would be a covid death if the person tested positive. There's no legitimate justication for that, imo.
If it's like that then, yes, I agree the stats will likely be off.

"There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection.

"WHO continues to review the evidence on antibody responses to SARS-CoV-2 infection.2-17 Most of these studies show that people who have recovered from infection have antibodies to the virus. However, some of these people have very low levels of neutralizing antibodies in their blood,4 suggesting that cellular immunity may also be critical for recovery. As of 24 April 2020, no study has evaluated whether the presence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 confers immunity to subsequent infection by this virus in humans."

"Many countries are now testing for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies at the population level or in specific groups, such as health workers, close contacts of known cases, or within households.21 WHO supports these studies, as they are critical for understanding the extent of – and risk factors associated with – infection. These studies will provide data on the percentage of people with detectable COVID-19 antibodies, but most are not designed to determine whether those people are immune to secondary infections."

"At this point in the pandemic, there is not enough evidence about the effectiveness of antibody-mediated immunity to guarantee the accuracy of an “immunity passport” or “risk-free certificate.” People who assume that they are immune to a second infection because they have received a positive test result may ignore public health advice. The use of such certificates may therefore increase the risks of continued transmission. As new evidence becomes available, WHO will update this scientific brief."

"Immunity passports" in the context of COVID-19

I'm not sure where you've confirmed that Remdesivir already failed in clinical trials.

My understanding is that they do not have solid data to indicate it can improve clinical outcomes -- which does not mean failure. It's a randomized, placebo-controlled trial is that's the gold standard for determining if an experimental treatment can benefit patients and this did not happen given the urgency of the pandemic.

I'm also aware that there was research testing conducted by NIH that was set up to follow one of the human clinical trials, and this provided favorable results as there was a decrease of the virus in the lungs on the subjects receiving Remdesivir. Understanding, of course, none of the results have been peer-reviewed.

NIH Clinical Trial of Remdesivir to Treat COVID-19 Begins | NIH: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases

I'm guessing this has already been answered, but here is it again. Malaria drugs and failed Ebola drugs have failed with the coronavirus.

"Remdesivir, a drug thought to be one of the best prospects for treating Covid-19, failed to have any effect in the first full trial, it has been revealed.

The drug is in short supply globally because of the excitement it has generated. It is one of the drugs Donald Trump claimed was “promising”.

In a “gold standard” trial of 237 patients, some of whom received remdesivir while others did not, the drug did not work. The trial was also stopped early because of side-effects."

In the trial, 158 patients were randomly assigned to be given remdesivir, while 79 others had standard care with a placebo instead. There was no difference between the groups with respect to recovery time. Just under 14% of those on remdesivir died, compared with nearly 13% of those not taking the treatment."​

First trial for potential Covid-19 drug shows it has no effect

The amount of virus you are exposed to apparently affects your outcome. If you are going to get infected, best to be infected by the minimal amount that it takes to get infected.

Would there possibly a "safe" exposure level for young and not at risk people to be intentionally exposed and quarantined, in the path to herd immunity? I would doubt the safety and ethics of that approach.

On the basis of previous work on SARS and MERS coronaviruses, we know that exposure to higher doses are associated with a worse outcome and this may be likely in the case of Covid-19 as well. This means that health care workers that care for Covid-19 patients are at a particularly high risk as they are more likely to be exposed to a higher number of viral particles, particularly when there is a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE).

In general with respiratory viruses, the outcome of infection – whether you get severely ill or only get a mild cold – can sometimes be determined by how much virus actually got into your body and started the infection off. It’s all about the size of the armies on each side of the battle, a very large virus army is difficult for our immune systems army to fight off.

So standing further away from someone when they breathe or cough out virus likely means fewer virus particles reach you and then you get infected with a lower dose and get less ill. Doctors who have to get very close to patients to take samples from them or to intubate them are at higher risk so need to wear masks.

expert reaction to questions about COVID-19 and viral load | Science Media Centre

Thank you! That's consistent with my understanding as well. Repeated exposure to the virus, rather than a mutant super-coronavirus strain, is the problem. That makes sense in terms of explaining the higher death rate in health professionals, and people in facilities who cannot leave the infected environments.

New York will on Saturday begin conducting antibody tests for workers at four hospitals hit hardest by the coronavirus pandemic and will allow local pharmacies to begin collecting samples for diagnostic tests, Governor Andrew Cuomo said.

The move is part of a broader attempt by Cuomo to get a better grip on how widely the virus has spread across his state now that its 300 laboratories have ramped up capacity, with the aim of doubling output to 40,000 tests per day.

The renewed focus on testing comes as the crisis appears to be subsiding in New York, with hospitalizations for COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, falling to their lowest in three weeks, Cuomo told a daily briefing on Saturday.

After '21 days of hell' New York governor expands coronavirus testing

Truly curious. Why do you think it will be much worse.?
I think it will potentially be worse because it will start in fall along with regular cold and flu season, people will have lower immune systems from those, and then catch covid-19 on top. Then, if there is the normal Thanksgiving and Christmas shopping and travel, yikes! However, I also expect people will know and many will forgo and go back to isolation. I'm dreaming of a virtual Christmas?

Well all I can say is that all this is depressing enough as it is without gaining a bunch of weight on top of everything. We have a choice here to at least try. It’s hard not to let everything go to the dogs right now but I hope I can inspire or encourage people to really try to not lose total control. Yes we all need our treats, but unless you’re exercising at home this is a bad recipe and the last thing we need is to add more illnesses to ourselves. I have a huge tendency to emotional eat, ice cream specifically, so knowing this I’m not even buying the stuff. If it’s not in the house, I can’t eat it. It also gives me a sense of control, one element which we are all lacking right now. :)

So quit ordering so much flour, sugar and junk people!!!! :D You don’t want to be rolling out of your house when this is all over with. Or have increased blood pressure, diabetes, etc. If I can do it, you can do it. :)

Just some friendly advice to my peeps because I know many are struggling with this. To me it comes down to just not ordering or buying the stuff because if it’s here I have zero control. I have found many alternatives, almond flour, fruit, etc.

ETA: We all know weed also gives you the munchies :)

Cannabis does increase appetite, although CDB does not seem to do so. Also, the effect is stronger in occasional users and not as pronounced if people are using it regularly for pain or other issues.

100 calorie banana vs. 100 calories of ice cream? I'll take the ice cream any day. My daily oatmeal ends up being more calories than my ice cream. I am able to control my ice cream intake. If I skip the oatmeal, I get a treat!

I am not able to control cake or cheesecake intake. At all.

Usually, I'm a salty food/chip eater, so I bought a bunch of chips. Haven't opened a single package and that's a big clue to me that my appetite is not normal. DH just made me eat breakfast. I typically get about 5000 steps a day when working, 2500 now that I'm working from home. So I'm pretty sedentary, but usually I would have scarfed those chips down and now they're just taking up space in the pantry.

I'm guessing this has already been answered, but here is it again. Malaria drugs and failed Ebola drugs have failed with the coronavirus.

"Remdesivir, a drug thought to be one of the best prospects for treating Covid-19, failed to have any effect in the first full trial, it has been revealed.

First trial for potential Covid-19 drug shows it has no effect
Well, that sucks. But it shows why it is so important to have a control group taking placebos. Otherwise if patients recover (and most with covid do), it will be attributed to the drug when in reality drug had nothing to do with it.
Although Remdesivir did show a good effect in a monkey study (monkeys given it after being infected with covid were a lot healthier than monkeys not given it), so perhaps it will work better if given early on. It might be too late to be given in a later stage if virus already maximally replicated, since the drug inhibits RNA polymerase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewpcg77