Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #51

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently working in a hospital discharge team here in the UK. We have had so many unspeakable tragedies happening to families here, but today we had something really lovely to celebrate - a couple in their late eighties who have both been in intensive care fighting Covid 19 have both survived and were both declared fit for discharge today, meaning they could finally be re-united and discharged together. There wasn't a dry eye in the room when they were both wheeled out to go home.

What are the unknowns at this time?

"Well, we talk about it everyday, it is just as important to say what we don't know, as it is to say what we do know.

And when you talk about what we still don't know about covid-19 and this new strain of coronavirus, in terms of how this pandemic will play out...

How,Why, When and Where, a wave, or multiple waves will occur.
If they wll occur and ultimately, even though people dont want to think about this, how many deaths will this cause world wide?

Remember it is not just about what happens in the United Sates that matters, it really matters what happens in other parts of the world because that has a direct affect on us here as well."

SECOND WAVE
.How
.When
.Where
.Why
.How many deaths world wide

video 46 sec
ABC News Live on Twitter

ICYMI: In public health, it’s important to look at what is happening today, as well as what MAY happen in the future, since lives are at stake. So my nightly chat on WNT with David Muir, l looked at some context for the future of what Influenza + Coronavirus could look like.

video Dr Jennifer Ashton on Instagram: “ICYMI: In public health, it’s important to look at what is happening today, as well as what MAY happen in the future, since lives are at…”

Why a Second Wave of Covid-19 Is Already a Worry

Wuhan resident: A second wave is 'absolutely' coming - CNN Video

I am currently working in a hospital discharge team here in the UK. We have had so many unspeakable tragedies happening to families here, but today we had something really lovely to celebrate - a couple in their late eighties who have both been in intensive care fighting Covid 19 have both survived and were both declared fit for discharge today, meaning they could finally be re-united and discharged together. There wasn't a dry eye in the room when they were both wheeled out to go home.
This made my day!

Hi catching up in the last thread, but wanted to note from the April 13 WHO PC which I just finished that Dr. Maria said that while the incubation period is up to 14 days, symptoms usually start occurring about 5 to 6 days after exposure:

BBM:

“Sarah: (37:51)
Thank you. I’m wondering what is the appropriate timeframe for someone to isolate if they think they might have been exposed? There seems to be this belief that 14 days is appropriate, but since the incubation period can be up to 14 days. Then if someone is not showing symptoms after 14 days, but does have the virus and doesn’t have access to a test, how long after that can a person have the illness and be contagious? And then in terms of the reactivation in people, based on your previous response, is it possible for the virus to be latent in someone or are we talking about re- infection?”

“Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove: (38:33)
Thank you for these questions. Yes, what we recommend for somebody who is exposed to an infected person is that they be followed, that they be quarantined for 14 days. Most people who are infected with COVID-19 will develop symptoms within five days. That’s the median time, five to six days. But it goes up to 14 days. So 14 days is a good marker. For individuals who are infected, your question was how long can they be contagious? And that’s the right question because when we actually test people who are infected with COVID-19, they have this molecular test, a PCR test, and they can be PCR positive four weeks, but that doesn’t actually mean that they’re contagious for weeks.

So what the PCR does is it measures fragments of the virus, parts of DNA of the COVID-19 virus that is detectable through this molecular test. But it doesn’t actually mean that you’re contagious for that long. What we’ve seen from some preliminary studies, and I’m referring to a study from Germany, is among some mild patients, I believe it was eight or nine mild patients, that they could find live virus for eight or nine days after symptom onset. What we need is much more data from countries to actually be able to say how long is someone contagious.

And so, right now what we have are these PCR tests which suggest that people with mild disease can be PCR positive for two to three weeks. What we need to understand is out two to three weeks, are those people still contagious? Again, this is another example where we don’t have the full picture, but there’s a lot of studies that are underway to give us those answers and so we hope to be able to get back to you with more details on that as soon as they’re available.”

Dr. Michael Ryan: (40:26)
“On the issue of reactivation and latent infection, there are many situations, particularly in viral infection where someone doesn’t clear the virus entirely from their system. It can happen in the case of immunocompromised people who are sick for other reasons, and then the virus can come back and attack the person again, and that’s sort of seen as reactivation. It’s usually that the virus was never property cleared. There are other situations where someone clears the virus but develops a secondary infection, a secondary bacterial infection, often an influenza, for example. It’s not the influenza infection that causes the problem. It’s very often the secondary bacterial pneumonia. The damage to the lungs and the inflammation create unfortunately an opportunity for bacteria that are normally non-pathogenic, they’re all over the place, but can actually exploit the fact that their lungs are weakened and you end up down with a very high fever again and very sick. But you’re actually not sick with the virus, now you’re sick with the bacterial infection. So there are many reasons why we might see reactivation of infection either with the same infection or with another infectious agents.

The issue of longterm, I think, transmission has been dealt with by Maria. There will always, always, always in health be exceptions. There will always be individuals who may transmit for longer. There may be individuals whose incubation period may be for longer, it may happen. There are outliers in every walk of life. We all know people who are given a year to live because of a cancer diagnosis and they live for 10 years. That doesn’t mean that everyone with that diagnosis live for 10 years. It means one person has lived for very much longer, but on average this is how long people survive. And I think we need to look at that.

These are averages. And then we look at the range around the average and we try to explain that this is likely where the longest or the shortest incubation periods are in reality. But there will always be a chance of an outlier. And I always say, we need to study the outliers. We need to study those who transmit for longer. We need to study those who don’t clear the infection properly because these are very significant events.”

Source / Apr 13 WHO Briefing

Last edited:

Brazilian chloroquine study halted after high dose proved lethal for some patients

Jessica Glenza
59 mins ago
A Brazilian study investigating whether the anti-malaria drug chloroquine was effective in treating patients with Covid-19 has been halted on safety concerns, after a high dose of the drug proved lethal for some patients.

Chloroquine, and a related drug, hydroxychloroquine, in combination with the antibiotic azithromycin, has been touted as a potential treatment for coronavirus by Donald Trump despite a lack of evidence.

The termination of the study comes the same day as a letter in the journal Nature raised alarm about serious heart risks associated with COVID-19 patients taking the drugs and the US Food and Drug Administration warned of serious heart complications.
Donald Trump has previously urged Americans to take hydroxychloroquine, although he has apparently backed away from the drug in recent days, and on Thursday even suggested that injections of disinfectant could cure COVID-19 – an idea that was swiftly refuted by experts, who warned the public “please don’t inject bleach”.

Well, I was feeling hopeful until I read this. My hopefulness was based on the fact that the entire world is working on this and cooperating with each other. To read that we are not part of that cooperative effort depresses me to no end.

Jane, every time I think of the world uniting, I remember the writings by contemporaries of the Black Plague --

• There were many to echo his account of inhumanity and few to balance it, for the plague was not the kind of calamity that inspired mutual help. Its loathsomeness and deadliness did not herd people together in mutual distress, but only prompted their desire to escape each other. “Magistrates and notaries refused to come and make the wills of the dying,” reported a Franciscan friar of Piazza in Sicily; what was worse, “even the priests did not come to hear their confessions.” A clerk of the Archbishop of Canterbury reported the same of English priests who “turned away from the care of their benefices from fear of death.” Cases of parents deserting children and children their parents were reported across Europe from Scotland to Russia. The calamity chilled the hearts of men, wrote Boccaccio in his famous account of the plague in Florence that serves as introduction to the Decameron. “One man shunned another … kinsfolk held aloof, brother was forsaken by brother, oftentimes husband by wife; nay, what is more, and scarcely to be believed, fathers and mothers were found to abandon their own children to their fate, untended, unvisited as if they had been strangers.” Exaggeration and literary pessimism were common in the 14th century, but the Pope’s physician, Guy de Chauliac, was a sober, careful observer who reported the same phenomenon: “A father did not visit his son, nor the son his father. Charity was dead.”
Tuchman, Barbara. A Distant Mirror. Random House Publishing Group.

Of course, we have a greater understanding of infectious diseases than they did in the 14th century. But stresses bring out the worse in human nature.

Results from two new South Korean studies shed light on whether antibodies will be a reliable form of protection against COVID-19 for those who have recovered from the disease.

In one ongoing study, the Korean Center for Disease Control found that 100% of 25 randomly selected patients who were hospitalized with symptoms and who fully recovered, developed defensive antibodies against COVID-19.

Researchers were initially concerned that antibodies might not kill the virus, because roughly half of patients had both antibodies and a current COVID-19 infection.

Further investigation, however, suggested that the virus scientists detected might have been dead or so weak that it couldn't infect others.

Revealing S. Korean studies show antibodies could thwart COVID-19 reinfection, spread

Thanks for the comprehensive analysis.

I tend to feel.that the "number of confirmed cases" figures aren't helpful in understanding the big picture. They probably help the public health authorities who are managing that region and who know what the testing strategy is: health care workers, contacts of known cases, vs anxious members of the public. It would be helpful to have the % of tests that are positive IMO.

"1500 Californians have died out of 39,000,000 of us - as compared to 21,283 New Yorkers out of about 20 million. You can see what a stark difference that is."

This is the big question, IMO. Is it related to outdoor air quality, climate, standard of living, age of population, ethnicity, social norms around hugging and kissing, how crowded public or private areas are, tendency for multigenerations to live together, standards of care in nursing homes, etc.

California did things a bit differently than New York, they started social distancing sooner than NY did...

California's coronavirus death toll is way below New York's. Here's why

New York became the epicenter of the disease in America because of several factors. The virus arrived there earlier than elsewhere and in more locations; it is denser than any other U.S. city; it depends more on public transportation, putting people close to one another; and it was behind California and Washington state in imposing restrictions on public movement, said Nicholas Jewell, a UC Berkeley biostatistician.

Watching the President's Presser now. Vice President Pence is discussing testing in various states. I think that VP Pence is an effective speaker. On point.

82,000 people have been tested in Utah. No information on the results. I think that the information from Utah will be interesting. Hoping that they also test children, Utah has the youngest demographic. It would be interesting to know what percentage of children test positive. Did they have COVID19, and everyone just thought it was the flu?

Very short presser today. Shortest ever.

Jane, every time I think of the world uniting, I remember the writings by contemporaries of the Black Plague --

• There were many to echo his account of inhumanity and few to balance it, for the plague was not the kind of calamity that inspired mutual help. Its loathsomeness and deadliness did not herd people together in mutual distress, but only prompted their desire to escape each other. “Magistrates and notaries refused to come and make the wills of the dying,” reported a Franciscan friar of Piazza in Sicily; what was worse, “even the priests did not come to hear their confessions.” A clerk of the Archbishop of Canterbury reported the same of English priests who “turned away from the care of their benefices from fear of death.” Cases of parents deserting children and children their parents were reported across Europe from Scotland to Russia. The calamity chilled the hearts of men, wrote Boccaccio in his famous account of the plague in Florence that serves as introduction to the Decameron. “One man shunned another … kinsfolk held aloof, brother was forsaken by brother, oftentimes husband by wife; nay, what is more, and scarcely to be believed, fathers and mothers were found to abandon their own children to their fate, untended, unvisited as if they had been strangers.” Exaggeration and literary pessimism were common in the 14th century, but the Pope’s physician, Guy de Chauliac, was a sober, careful observer who reported the same phenomenon: “A father did not visit his son, nor the son his father. Charity was dead.”
Tuchman, Barbara. A Distant Mirror. Random House Publishing Group.

Of course, we have a greater understanding of infectious diseases than they did in the 14th century. But stresses bring out the worse in human nature.

Then we must take it on ourselves as individuals to buck the trend and appeal to everyone's better nature :) We have come a long way since then, and this is not nearly as bad as the plague for most of us. BTW I did briefly ponder how many of us might have been burned as witches back then for our sassy ways.

Exactly what we do - open cardboard on screened porch, put cardboard outside, bring items into the house, wash hands and utensil used to open boxes.

On a yummy note, I did just order some boxes of Godiva chocolate. Hands down the best for me, and I will eat one piece every day or so. I'd share with you if I could.

I don't understand why you don't sanitize the contents?

ETA: is it because they've been in the mail long enough to rid any virus?

Last edited:
I sent a package to my grandkids and my son put it in his garage for a few days. I asked if he wasn't able to wear gloves, or open it with a knife and then wash knife and his hands to retrieve the goodies inside (mostly sticker books, games, and journals). He told me he was worried more about the inside items since they came from a CoVid house. Hmmm - I never thought about ourselves that way - as a CoVid house, but I reckon that's the case. We are labeled with a scarlet letter "C."

I did assure him the items had been inside and sealed up for at least 2 full weeks, so should be perfectly fine.

Oh z, we are a Covid world. It’s not just you with the “scarlet letter”. I remember the package you sent and it was adorable. I know your grandkids must have absolutely loved it. :) It’s always fun getting packages, but especially right now, they must have been so thrilled to receive it.

And yes, the items are fine.

Last edited:

yayyyyyy thanks for the good news story!

AAAkOaU.img

Experimental virus drug remdesivir failed in human trial

AFP
9 hrs ago
The experimental coronavirus treatment remdesivir has failed in its first randomized clinical trial, inadvertently released results showed Thursday, dampening expectations for the closely watched drug.
Remdesivir, which is administered intravenously, was among the first drugs suggested as a treatment for the novel coronavirus and as such has great hopes riding on it.

Stephen Evans, a professor of pharmacoepidemiology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, who was not involved in the research, said "the trial was too small in numbers recruited" to detect either benefit or risk.

But he added: "If the drug only works well when given very early after infection, it may be much less useful in practice."

Hi catching up in the last thread, but wanted to note from the April 13 WHO PC which I just finished that Dr. Maria said that while the incubation period is up to 14 days, the average onset occurs about 5 to 6 days after exposure:

BBM:

“Sarah: (37:51)
Thank you. I’m wondering what is the appropriate timeframe for someone to isolate if they think they might have been exposed? There seems to be this belief that 14 days is appropriate, but since the incubation period can be up to 14 days. Then if someone is not showing symptoms after 14 days, but does have the virus and doesn’t have access to a test, how long after that can a person have the illness and be contagious? And then in terms of the reactivation in people, based on your previous response, is it possible for the virus to be latent in someone or are we talking about re- infection?”

“Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove: (38:33)
Thank you for these questions. Yes, what we recommend for somebody who is exposed to an infected person is that they be followed, that they be quarantined for 14 days. Most people who are infected with COVID-19 will develop symptoms within five days. That’s the median time, five to six days. But it goes up to 14 days. So 14 days is a good marker. For individuals who are infected, your question was how long can they be contagious? And that’s the right question because when we actually test people who are infected with COVID-19, they have this molecular test, a PCR test, and they can be PCR positive four weeks, but that doesn’t actually mean that they’re contagious for weeks.

So what the PCR does is it measures fragments of the virus, parts of DNA of the COVID-19 virus that is detectable through this molecular test. But it doesn’t actually mean that you’re contagious for that long. What we’ve seen from some preliminary studies, and I’m referring to a study from Germany, is among some mild patients, I believe it was eight or nine mild patients, that they could find live virus for eight or nine days after symptom onset. What we need is much more data from countries to actually be able to say how long is someone contagious.

And so, right now what we have are these PCR tests which suggest that people with mild disease can be PCR positive for two to three weeks. What we need to understand is out two to three weeks, are those people still contagious? Again, this is another example where we don’t have the full picture, but there’s a lot of studies that are underway to give us those answers and so we hope to be able to get back to you with more details on that as soon as they’re available.”

Dr. Michael Ryan: (40:26)
“On the issue of reactivation and latent infection, there are many situations, particularly in viral infection where someone doesn’t clear the virus entirely from their system. It can happen in the case of immunocompromised people who are sick for other reasons, and then the virus can come back and attack the person again, and that’s sort of seen as reactivation. It’s usually that the virus was never property cleared. There are other situations where someone clears the virus but develops a secondary infection, a secondary bacterial infection, often an influenza, for example. It’s not the influenza infection that causes the problem. It’s very often the secondary bacterial pneumonia. The damage to the lungs and the inflammation create unfortunately an opportunity for bacteria that are normally non-pathogenic, they’re all over the place, but can actually exploit the fact that their lungs are weakened and you end up down with a very high fever again and very sick. But you’re actually not sick with the virus, now you’re sick with the bacterial infection. So there are many reasons why we might see reactivation of infection either with the same infection or with another infectious agents.

The issue of longterm, I think, transmission has been dealt with by Maria. There will always, always, always in health be exceptions. There will always be individuals who may transmit for longer. There may be individuals whose incubation period may be for longer, it may happen. There are outliers in every walk of life. We all know people who are given a year to live because of a cancer diagnosis and they live for 10 years. That doesn’t mean that everyone with that diagnosis live for 10 years. It means one person has lived for very much longer, but on average this is how long people survive. And I think we need to look at that.

These are averages. And then we look at the range around the average and we try to explain that this is likely where the longest or the shortest incubation periods are in reality. But there will always be a chance of an outlier. And I always say, we need to study the outliers. We need to study those who transmit for longer. We need to study those who don’t clear the infection properly because these are very significant events.”

Source / Apr 13 WHO Briefing

Wow. Thank you for that. Some really good information and food for thought.

TL;DR? It says that the average time between exposure and actually having CoVid virally infect a person is 5-6 days. People communicate the disease for about 2-3 weeks. Quarantine for people who are tested positive is 14 days. Most people likely will remain immune (no one knows how long), but some people will fail to get to the antibody formation stage. I think the implication is that in cases with another serious infection (pneumonia) that might not happen. It's very rare.

There are always outliers. No word on how long immunity lasts.

(@KALI might be interested in this?)

Coronavirus: Newsom announces program for local eateries to prepare, deliver meals to seniors amid COVID-19 pandemic

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- In a move he says will allow restaurants across the state to rehire workers, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday an agreement with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and local governments that will employ eateries to prepare and deliver three meals a day to eligible seniors.

The governor said during his daily coronavirus press conference that the first-in-the-nation partnership will provide an "unlimited" number of meals, with restaurants being reimbursed at rates up to $16 for each breakfast, $17 for each lunch and $28 for each dinner.

"Working with FEMA on ways to provide nutritious meals to our seniors, to get them delivered, but to also get them prepared. We started thinking about building a partnership with our restaurants industry, with kitchens, with our hospitality industry that's been ravaged by this pandemic," Newsom said. "This partnership will allow for the ability for restaurants to start rehiring people or keep people currently employed and start preparing meals, three meals a day, seven days a week and have those meals delivered to our seniors all throughout the state of California.

More information on the program program -- dubbed Restaurants Deliver: Home Meals for Older Californians'' can be found here.

I hope this is helpful to our dear KALI. Another possibility for restaurants is to provide service to off-site recovery centres, satellite hospitals, and isolation facilities. Some of the isolation facilities might be used by medical workers who have to isolate away from their families. There are many multi-generational families around, if not living together, perhaps grandparents are watching the children of essential workers.

Today, I had a chance to listen in on the local medical team's planning for these off site facilities, and the one thing that wasn't yet in place, was food service. I couldn't help but think that the first person to make a connection would be welcomed into the discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14