Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump stands by China lab origin theory for virus

US President Donald Trump has appeared to undercut his own intelligence agencies by suggesting he has seen evidence coronavirus originated in a Chinese laboratory.

Earlier the US national intelligence director's office said it was still investigating how the virus began.

But the office said it had determined Covid-19 "was not manmade or genetically modified".

China has rejected the lab theory and criticised the US response to Covid-19.

Since emerging in China last year, the virus has killed 230,000 people worldwide including 63,000 in the US.

The pandemic has seen at least 3.2 million people infected, a million of them Americans, since the virus spread from the city of Wuhan.

What did Trump say?
At the White House on Thursday, Mr Trump was asked by a reporter: "Have you seen anything at this point that gives you a high degree of confidence that the Wuhan Institute of Virology was the origin of this virus?"

"Yes, I have. Yes, I have," said the president, without specifying. "And I think the World Health Organization [WHO] should be ashamed of themselves because they're like the public relations agency for China."

Asked later to clarify his comment, he said: "I can't tell you that. I'm not allowed to tell you that."

Continues at link.

Marking to find out more about this out of curiosity / from April 20 WHO opening remarks:

Finally, yesterday marked one year since our colleague Dr Richard Mouzoko from Cameroon was killed while working on the Ebola response in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.”

[...]

“Unfortunately, Richard is one of many health workers who have lost their lives in the line of duty globally in the past year.

Some have died in attacks on health facilities,
some have lost their lives to COVID-19.

I would like to use this opportunity to pay tribute to Richard’s family and also to Cameroon.

I would like to also pay tribute to every health worker.

We salute you. And we are committed to supporting you. We don’t take your commitment and heroism for granted. Thank you for saving lives, and for putting your lives at risk.

There is nothing more blessed than what you’re doing. Please keep doing what you’re doing.

From WHO, you have the greatest respect and appreciation.”

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 20 April 2020

Politicians, players and owners are trying to figure out a way to get baseball, basketball and hockey going again, not only for economic reasons but as a welcome diversion for a social distancing nation facing uncertain times. To do so would require commandeering thousands of test kits each week for millionaire pro athletes and support staff, something many view as unseemly, especially when ordinary Americans are waiting in line.

Leagues know it would be a terrible look for them to jump the testing line. Acutely aware of the potential backlash, commissioners and owners are saying that, until the public has more access to testing, they don't want to secure tests for players.

For sports, coronavirus testing remains a major hurdle

It wouldn't be that hard to build their own testing system (like the White House) and then offer all the extra tests, once they are done, to the general public.

Yep, it would require cooperation with state regulations and medical professionals, but with the kind of money the NBA has, they could do it for all athletes everywhere - and also serve the public.

I cant say enough about Premier Doug Ford's Leadership thru this here in Ontario Canada. Stellar job. Ontario is 2nd in case numbers with Quebec being 1st. His guidance has been sensible IMO based on what has occurred here.

Indeed. Same with Premier Kenney, who stock-piled so many supplies before the pandemic arrived in Canada that he shared millions of supplies with other provinces. Innovators immediately developed Made in Canada using locally sourced materials to develop protective gear and 2-swab coronavirus test kits. The latest design is a snorkel mask with a special filter.

Not every province has the same timeline. Similarly, not all states have the same timeline. Do individual states at least have a plan?

I know that Oregon’s Governor has put forth a plan for gradual reopening.

Portland, OR—Governor Kate Brown today introduced new plans for COVID-19 testing and contact tracing, two foundational elements of her framework for reopening Oregon safely. Ensuring adequate testing capacity and contact tracing will allow Oregon’s health care system to effectively identify and treat new cases of COVID-19, trace contacts with new cases to identify those at risk for infection, and contain new outbreaks before community spread can occur.

“As we look to reopen Oregon, it’s critical we understand the prevalence of COVID-19 across the state and use science and data to ensure we can safely take steps forward," said Governor Brown. “A strategy of testing and tracing helps us identify who has the disease and who may be at risk of infection — knowledge that is incredibly powerful as we look to reopen."

Oregon.gov: NewsDetail

Indeed. Same with Premier Kenney, who stock-piled so many supplies before the pandemic arrived in Canada that he shared millions of supplies with other provinces. Innovators immediately developed Made in Canada using locally sourced materials to develop protective gear and 2-swab coronavirus test kits. The latest design is a snorkel mask with a special filter.
Agree. Strong, sensible Leadership. I saw a pic somewhere of a Toronto Dr. wearing the snorkel mask. Awesome.

I know that Oregon’s Governor has put forth a plan for gradual reopening.

Portland, OR—Governor Kate Brown today introduced new plans for COVID-19 testing and contact tracing, two foundational elements of her framework for reopening Oregon safely. Ensuring adequate testing capacity and contact tracing will allow Oregon’s health care system to effectively identify and treat new cases of COVID-19, trace contacts with new cases to identify those at risk for infection, and contain new outbreaks before community spread can occur.

“As we look to reopen Oregon, it’s critical we understand the prevalence of COVID-19 across the state and use science and data to ensure we can safely take steps forward," said Governor Brown. “A strategy of testing and tracing helps us identify who has the disease and who may be at risk of infection — knowledge that is incredibly powerful as we look to reopen."

Oregon.gov: NewsDetail

Testing is a given. Phase 1, for example, opening dental, physiotherapy and other personal health offices. That starts May 4. If all goes well, Phase 2 has barber shops and other personal care offices open in 2 weeks. If that goes well, Summer Camps for children will be considered. Everything from museums to post-secondary institutions have a roll-out date, and can open as soon as they have distancing and protective measures in place. Restarting life does not mean life as it used to be.

Very wise and serious words from Dr. Tedros on April 20 (still catching up as usual). These words are SO IMPORTANT, specifically those bolded and highlighted in red. Thank you for taking the time to read. I echo these words from my heart. I consider this to be maybe the most important post on WS that I have ever made. If I could say one thing to everyone, this is what I would say. If it was my last post on WS, this is what I would say:

April 20 / source

Dr. Tedros: (49:43)
It’s life and that’s why we prefer to see the individuals, the faces, the people. They’re not numbers. They’re not averages. They are people, they’re individuals. And that’s why we don’t have secrets. And as soon as we get information, we pass it because we want to save lives, even if it’s one life. Even one life matters. One life. You can’t bring it back once it’s gone. And that’s why we have been urging countries, please, this virus is dangerous. This virus is public enemy number one. This virus is new and which has a behavior of serious contagion like flu. It’s very contagious like flu and at the same time, it’s very killer like SARS and MERS. It has a very dangerous combination and this is happening in hundred years, for the first time again. Like the 1918 flu that killed up to 100 million people, but now we have technology. We can prevent that disaster. We can prevent that kind of crisis. We can prevent it. We’re not in the same situation. We should not be afraid. We should have the confidence that we’re in a different situation and fight it back.

If there is national unity and if there is global solidarity, if we take this as a common enemy for humanity and give our best, of course understanding that this is a new virus and dangerous virus, we can win the fight. We can but please let’s consider those who are dying as individuals. They’re not numbers or figures. Even one life is precious. You know where I come from. I know war. I know poverty. I know disease. I know how people suffer in war conditions. I know how people are killed because of poverty. I know how people who could have been saved are dying because of this. I know a tragedy. I know.

That’s why I see people. I see faces. I see the mother or father of somebody. I see the daughters and sons of somebody. I see the tragedy that can behold a family. I see that. I see and I know. I’m telling you from a firsthand experience, I know how losing a brother means from childhood. I can tell you all the tragedies I have seen. That’s why in my last prayer I said, let’s not play with fire. This is a tragedy which is already affecting many families. Many are losing their loved ones, so we don’t hide information because I know what poverty means. I know what war means. I know what killer disease means.

I know what is behind all these problems and I have been warning, we have been warning from day one. This is a devil that everybody should fight. Then the solution we’re proposing, we need national unity, strong national unity. Everybody fighting this virus, taking care of their citizens, taking care of real people. We need global solidarity that’s cemented on genuine national unity. Without the two, without national unity and global solidarity, trust us, the worst is yet ahead of us. Let’s prevent this tragedy. It’s a virus that many people still don’t understand. Many countries are very developed, putting the wrong conclusions because they didn’t know it and got into trouble and we warned even developed countries saying, “This virus will even surprise developed countries.” It did. We said that. It will surprise even with the nations. We said it. It is on record. Let’s stop additional sacrifices. Let’s stop tragedy. Hundreds of thousands now dying is serious. Even one life is precious. Let’s say, “Enough is enough.”

[...]

“I know disease that could be prevented that killed people and I know how the family feels. When we think about death or disease, I was saying` let’s bring into account that these are real people and that’s what we’re losing. Real people who could be saved, but who might be dying because of our own weaknesses, weaknesses of our society. And I mentioned one or two and I said it many times, I will repeat again. This virus is dangerous. It exploits cracks between us. When we have differences there are cracks. The virus exploits those cracks. Take as an example, ideology or in one country, it could be the differences along party lines. It exploits that. That’s why I said we need national unity and whoever has whatever ideology, whether that person is from left or right or center, they should work together to fight this virus, to save these real people.

If we don’t do that, this virus will stay longer with us to kill more people and we will lose more precious lives.
So when I think about the losses of life, it reminds me of my own experience. These are real people dying and I’m just warning people who may think that these are numbers. They’re not numbers. These are people. And the other point is when there is national unity, the global solidarity could also work. I have spoken to many leaders from many countries, from the incumbent or the opposition and one message to all of them, please work together. Don’t use this virus as an opportunity to fight against each other or score political punch. It’s dangerous. It’s like playing with fire. Please work together. We need national unity. We are seeing the tragedy and we need global solidarity that’s based on honest and genuine national unity. I will say it again and again because it’s true.

It’s the political problem that may fuel further this pandemic. People say, “This is political and Tedros you’re a technical [inaudible 00:01:04:03], don’t say it.” But if it’s fueling the pandemic and that’s the very reason, why wouldn’t I say it? At the end of the day, we should know the root cause of the problem and try to address that. It’s fueling it. The cracks between people, between parties is fueling it and it’s true and that’s the reason.
And you said, “Being emotional, what made me emotional?” Because I know this, I know war, I know poverty. I know how people really are influenced by all this.”

Press briefings

Last edited:
The exact same thing is happening in California.
Once, or if, the unemployed can make their claims, expect unemployment figures to sky rocket.
When unemployment sky rockets, the stock market does poorly.
I personally predict a very bad few weeks or longer on our horizon.
The good news if you're a buyer or homeowner?
The cheapest long term mortgage money we've ever seen.

What does the future hold for Florida's infamous unemployment website?
Floridians are suffering so much with the constantly crashing unemployment site. Looks like the system was initially set up to be difficult for people to maneuver by the previous governor, and this new governor is having to try to deal with it. People are suffering big-time..

Still researching. I want to make sure I give them everything they want now.
I don't want to be kicked out of the que for reopening.
Personally, I do not see how, in California they can approve millions of businesses re-opening with somebody over seeing applications to allow them to do so.
It's impossible.
Our government does NOT have the resources to open a New Division like this and make determination as to whether each owner should be allowed to open, based upon a new form.
It's impossible.
In my opinion, just another attempt at control and overreach, that will hurt the little guys.
I forsee a huge CLUSTER if California continues with this new mandate.
I also forsee, most businesses giving the middle finger, and opening up anyway.
This is already happening in California.
The beach closures really pissed off a lot of people.
We're expecting temperatures to 90f degrees here this week.
One of the biggest reasons California is so expensive, is because of our restaurants and beaches.
Most counties outside of Los Angeles have very few deaths compared to their population.
Here where I live, in a township of 50k people we have 0 deaths and just 14 positives.
Other than Los Angeles, other counties have similar very low numbers.
Los Angeles has more cases because of nursing homes and their huge amount of drug addicts and homeless.
Los Angeles is NOT California.
This is a huge and diverse State.
One size does NOT fit all here.
Yet all of us are being treated as if we were in Los Angeles.
Media likes our current governor. (Leaving this here).

Congratulations - that is wonderful news for you and for the community you serve, @KALI! Out of curiosity - is the reopening plan paperwork as difficult as a lot of government paperwork tends to be? Or did they (crossing fingers!) make it user-friendly?

Last edited:
Yes your Province Otto is moving in phases appropriate with your situation. Ontario is going to be a bit longer rolling out. A very few things opening up Monday. Landscaping and Nursery's with curbside service. Businesses servicing watercraft open up to service boats but not open to the public yet. Car lots by appt. only, just to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewpcg77