Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus in Ohio: State prepares to extend stay-at-home order

Outpatient elective surgeries and procedures and the opening of dental offices and veterinarian clinics is permitted beginning Friday.

Offices, manufacturing companies and distribution centers can reopen Monday, and many retail stores and service businesses will be allowed to reopen May 12.

upload_2020-5-1_7-31-9.jpeg
After being interviewed by Kenya's NTV, the widow has received money via mobile phone and through a bank account that was opened for her by Ms Momanyi, as the mother of eight does not know how to read and write.

Ms Kitsao, who lives in a two-bedroomed house without running water or electricity, has described the generosity as a "miracle".

She had told NTV that her hungry children had not been deceived for long by her delaying stone-cooking tactics.

"They started telling me that they knew I was lying to them, but I could do nothing because I had nothing."
Widow cooking stones for children moves Kenyans

Coronavirus pandemic misery expected to last two more years, says expert report

Three scenarios are possible, they said:

Scenario 1: The first wave of Covid-19 in spring 2020 is followed by a series of repetitive smaller waves that occur through the summer and then consistently over a one- to two-year period, gradually diminishing sometime in 2021.

Scenario 2: The first wave of Covid-19 is followed by a larger wave in the fall or winter and one or more smaller waves in 2021. "This pattern will require the reinstitution of mitigation measures in the fall in an attempt to drive down spread of infection and prevent healthcare systems from being overwhelmed," they wrote. "This pattern is similar to what was seen with the 1918-19 pandemic."

Scenario 3: A "slow burn" of ongoing transmission. "This third scenario likely would not require the reinstitution of mitigation measures, although cases and deaths will continue to occur."

___

States and territories should plan for scenario 2, the worst-case scenario, they recommended.

We are planning for scenario 2 at our university, planning for blended courses for the fall (sessions planned for both face-to-face instruction and online instruction) in case we need to move quickly online. Planning for how to have 1 student per room in residence halls, and for residence hall apartments that have 4 bedrooms, we will put only 2 students in those apartments. Dining meals will pivot to "grab-and-go" meals if we need to do that level of social distancing if there is an outbreak. We are planning for a number of scenarios for fall.

Japan to Extend State of Emergency Another Month

“We still need you to continue cooperating, and that’s the experts’ view,” Abe said. He said he instructed Economy Minister Yasutoshi Nishimura, who is tasked with the coronavirus measures, to urgently prepare to extend the measures “for about a month.” Abe said he will announce details Monday.

Trump says he won't extend social distancing guidelines; NFL furloughs employees and cuts salaries

In a memo to employees, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league is not immune to the economic consequences of the coronavirus and he’s made the difficult decision to take broad cost-saving measures across NFL offices that includes furloughs, salary cuts and a decrease in contributions to the pension plan.

The cuts outlined in the memo include a furlough program for individuals who are unable to substantially perform their duties from home and/or whose current workload has been significantly reduced. The changes take effect beginning May 8.

I renewed mine by mail - is that still an option in your state?

jmo

So, this is totally stupid and annoying. I have to renew my vehicle registration. They no longer allow you to do it in person, or by mail. You have to do it online, with a $5 service fee.

I asked if the fee was waived, because there are no other options, nope. Whatever.

Michigan governor extends state of emergency

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued another executive order to declare that a state of emergency continues and is set to expire May 28.
Amazing...
The Legislature also authorized leaders of both chambers to file a lawsuit against the governor if she decided to extend the state of emergency, potentially teeing up a legal battle between the state government's branches on top of Michigan's coronavirus response.

Michigan has seen the seventh-highest number of coronavirus cases among states. clocking in with more than 41,300 cases and more than 3,700 deaths as of Thursday night, according to the Johns Hopkins University Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

So, this is totally stupid and annoying. I have to renew my vehicle registration. They no longer allow you to do it in person, or by mail. You have to do it online, with a $5 service fee.

I asked if the fee was waived, because there are no other options, nope. Whatever.
I hear ya, but I did the online version and was so quick and easy....kind of worth $5 tbh (though I don't recall my state charging for that).

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member