Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can he renew online?
No he has to have a new one made. Before the governor was saying perhaps local LE would take it into consideration but now they say: "Ohio driver's licenses and vehicle registrations have been extended through the duration of the coronavirus crisis, as state BMVs have been closed for safety reasons".
I was just curious how everyone else is dealing with it. On the Ohio BMV facebook, several people are complaining they can't get checks cashed until their license is renewed. Other problems with need for identification but their license is expired.

From the link:

“'Your interventions to me did not matter one little bit,' Murphy said, according to NJ.com. 'So with all due respect to all the pressure that’s been out there, we couldn’t frankly care.'

'We make this call based on data, science, fact, and, again, the exception is, also on mental health,' he added. 'Trust me. I didn’t make these closures on a whim. They were made only after detailed discussions … with our public health and public safety personnel.'”

Well, on the "up side" he probably isn't driving around much...or planning a trip on an airplane.
No, he barely drives. But you guys did make me wonder if he could do this online. So I just applied for a duplicate drivers license for him for $6 online.

Duh. Guess I should have realized this was possible before. But I’m Gen-X, and we have one foot in the rotary phone world and the other in high speed internet world. Sometimes I forget it’s not the 80s, I guess.

No he has to have a new one made. Before the governor was saying perhaps local LE would take it into consideration but now they say: "Ohio driver's licenses and vehicle registrations have been extended through the duration of the coronavirus crisis, as state BMVs have been closed for safety reasons".
I was just curious how everyone else is dealing with it. On the Ohio BMV facebook, several people are complaining they can't get checks cashed until their license is renewed. Other problems with need for identification but their license is expired.
I keep remembering my renewal process in dribs and drabs....

I renewed online in March, but since I wear glasses, I was required to get an eye exam.

I managed to get an eye exam days before the eye place shut down for corona. It all was quick and easy - but obviously wouldn't be possible if the business was closed. (Doctors can also do the eye exam, if the office is open and accepting non-emergencies, I suppose. I have had the exam at my doctor's in the past.)

That is another consideration for those who want to renew online/by mail - do you need documentation about eyesight?

jmo

From the link:

"Murphy’s office, when asked about specific reopening dates and a response to Doherty's remarks, pointed out the governor's comments on "Fox & Friends" Thursday morning in which he said reopening can begin to be phased in 'as soon as we can responsibly get the health challenges under control' -- which he thinks could be in a matter of weeks, not months."

Today's Dr. Campbell Friday 1st May Comorbidities and symptoms report (he reviews prospective study sample of 16,749 that went to 166 UK hospitals..33% died/49% discharged/17% continuing care at end cutoff for report..and this number represents 14.7% of all people who tested positive... from the renowned Imperial College Report from London )

and Dr. Sehult live Q&A from yesterday
COVID-19 Clinical Updates & Lessons Learned So Far with Dr. Seheult - Live Webcast Replay

Last edited:
From the link:

"Extending the emergency declaration is not an extension of the stay-at-home order, though, as these are two separate actions....

This [State of Emergency] declaration allowed the state to prepare for the virus....[so that agencies directed] all state resources to an emergency operations center in Lansing.

An extension of the [state of] emergency declaration does not mean the stay-at-home order will automatically last through May. Whitmer will still need to sign a new Executive Order if she chooses to extend that order beyond May 15."

Good luck spreading the news that they are two different things.

jmo

Wow that's really interesting that you can't even renew it online. I would print out the message on the OHIO BMV website and carry it with me in case I get pulled over: State of Ohio BMV

On March 27, 2020, Governor DeWine signed Sub. H.B. 197, which states that Ohio licenses (including driver licenses, CDLs, identification cards, temporary instruction permits, vehicle registrations and vehicle temporary tags,) expiring during the declared State of Emergency shall remain valid until either 90 days after the declared emergency ends, or December 1, 2020, whichever comes sooner. The state of emergency was declared by Governor DeWine on March 9, 2020.

Effective March 19, the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) closed 181 BMV deputy registrar locations. Five locations remain open to provide the following services ONLY:
  • Issuance of commercial driver licenses, or CDLs
  • Renewal of CDLs
  • All other services will be discontinued. We encourage customers to renew vehicle registrations online at www.oplates.com or by mail.
Central Ohio: Columbus
Deputy Registrar - 4740 Cemetery Road, Hilliard 43026

NE Ohio: Brooklyn
Deputy Registrar - 7000 Biddulph Road, Brooklyn 44144

SE Ohio: Marietta
Deputy Registrar - 142 Gross Street, Suite B, Marietta 45750

NW Ohio: Bowling Green
Deputy Registrar - 1616 E. Wooster Street, Suite 30, Bowling Green 43402

SW Ohio: Mt. Healthy
Deputy Registrar - 10938 Hamilton Avenue, Mt. Healthy 45231

Also, we closed 52 driver examination stations until further notice. Five locations remain open to perform commercial knowledge exams ONLY.

Central Ohio: Columbus
Driver Exam Station - 4738 Cemetery Road, Columbus 43026

NE Ohio: Parma
Driver Exam Station - 12000 Snow Road, Parma, OH 44130

SE Ohio: Marietta
Deputy Registrar - 142 Gross Street, Suite B, Marietta 45750

NW Ohio: Bowling Green
Driver Exam Station - 1616 E. Wooster Street, Suite 30, Bowling Green 43402

SW Ohio: Cincinnati
Driver Exam Station - 10940 Hamilton Avenue, Cincinnati 45231

We will continue with CDL testing and issuance based on the need to keep our supply chain open and moving. Supplies, whether medical, cleaning or food supplies are critical to the healthcare and welfare of our citizens.

We are advising law enforcement to use discretion to adjust enforcement and are asked to give consideration to a driver whose license expired last week and may have been unable to renew due to agency closure or a self-quarantine situation.

We have directed the BMV to instruct car dealerships to issue temporary tags for 90 days and pause suspensions for failure to pay or renew a license.

And if I needed to show an expired ID for some reason I would also present the above info. My guess is that the only people truly having problems cashing checks with an expired ID will be people who let their licenses lapse long before the pandemic. I haven't had to cash any checks, but most businesses are not requiring ID these days in my experience. I bought some OTC medicine at the self check out a couple weeks ago that triggered an ID check. I didn't have my ID as I only brought my debit card into the store. But the clerk didn't even ask me for it and punched in a code to make the transaction go thru. Requiring an ID means the cashier has to handle it to get a good look at it and even then how would she verify it was me behind the mask? I wasn't about to take my mask off for ID purposes. She could probably tell by my crows feet I wasn't some kid, LOL.

On another note, anyone needing to cash checks might want to see if their bank has an app to allow them to do it online. I take a picture of a check front and back with my phone and the app puts the money into my account. I never have to go to a physical bank branch anymore. It took some getting used to but it's so convenient and I never need my ID to deposit a check.

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member